Who is Your OTHER Team?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 21, 2015

I think it’s way past time for a new thread. lqtm.

The problem is that I have nothing to write about. No topic of interest to trumpet. The Warriors streak is over. The Niners aren’t worth discussing anymore. And the Giants seem to be in hibernation. That’s a tough pill to swallow with so many competent outfielders still on the market.

What teams do you non-Bay Area folks follow? I think the NY Giants seems to be popular with some of you. I know Loo loves his Chiefs, Zumiee is a Sacto Kings fan.

Anybody else? Who do you like besides the Giants and/or other Bay Area teams? And is it hard to support Bay Area teams when you live so far away?

Here’s one: Who was your childhood team if it wasn’t the Giants?

See, I knew I could find a thread if I just started typing…..

1. gianthead said, on December 21, 2015 at 7:18 am

are we leaving this to just pro sports??? I am a big Kentucky fan from my grad school days but my heart is not as much into college basketball as it was in the 90s. The one and dones just diminishes how much heart you put into following college basketball. Anthony Davis may still have been a senior or close to it. Those Kentucky teams of the 90s was fun to see how they grew.

• Flavor said, on December 21, 2015 at 7:21 am

that’s funny. This morning I found a Kentucky Wild Cat sweatshirt that one of my friends gave me as a joke a couple of years ago. It’s cold, so I put it on and am wearing it now. I am not a fan of the way Kentucky runs it’s basketball program but at least Calipari is fairly transparent in how he chooses to run it……

• gianthead said, on December 21, 2015 at 7:23 am

That is funny…and it is hard for me to rev up a GO CATS chant. I have no clue who is on the team this year…

2. Flavor said, on December 21, 2015 at 7:19 am

I still don’t really understand why I never became a Raider fan. As a kid, even though I lived in Palo Alto, my favorite player was Ken Stabler. And as a lefty, I was one of the few kids on the playground who could pretend to throw like him. I guess a guy named Montana came along and that’s when I found my *new* favorite player…..

• gianthead said, on December 21, 2015 at 7:27 am

As a kid I instantly hated the Raiders…HATED John Madden. HATED their defensive side. I was so mad the day of the fumblerooski in SD even though I had no care for the Chargers. But I never hated Stabler. He had that star/one of kind thing working for him…

• willedav said, on December 21, 2015 at 7:31 am

Raiders were always pretty colorful team in those days, lotta cool players, Madden and Bill King at the mike.
      I liked them too, esp vs. hated rivals like Chiefs and Steelers.
      And then Al took them to LA, came back and ruined the yard to boot while Oaktown still on the hook.

• Flavor said, on December 21, 2015 at 8:03 am

I loved all of the names of those guys. Banazak. Biletnikoff. Matuzak. Sistrunk. Stabler. Hendricks. I’m probably spelling their names wrong. Those Raider teams from the 70’s had some of the greatest names of all time for a team.

3. gianthead said, on December 21, 2015 at 7:22 am

When the Nats first started up it was fun to get the kids out and there was a wish to see them do well so they took root here, but after we beat them down in 2014 and the attitude of the bandwagon Nats fans who still cant believe they lost to us, I could care less how they do now.

As a little kid, pre-Montana, I was a huge Rams fans because of the uniforms and thought rams bashing heads was the coolest thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucUj2gZ7oBU

For the same reason from when I was a kid and a Rams fan, one of mine has taken to the Bengals. Would love to see them defeat the Pats.

4. willedav said, on December 21, 2015 at 7:26 am

Once I got into baseball as a kid and family started going to games at the Stick (early 60s) I liked the Reds of Frank Robinson and Vada Pinson. They won NL in 1961 only to get smoked by Yanks of Maris and Mantle.
    One of their relievers, Jim Brosnan, wrote a book I read, 1962 I think, I used to read on bus across town to school in the 6th grade, The Long Season I think. NL had so many good teams and that was the emergence of black and Latin superstars; each NL team had them, guys you loved to watch.

Soon after Rose and Tommy Harper joined them. I remember listening to radio game Gary Nolan struck out Mays 4 times. Enoyed the Big Red Machine and saw them when they came to town too, but after that no. Chris Sabo and those goggles ended that.

As closely as I follow sports now, no other team is special.

5. unca_chuck said, on December 21, 2015 at 7:40 am

Yeah, it was pretty much ingrained in us kids in the Bay Area. Either you were a Raider fan or you were a Niner fans. No one was both. It was tough as in the 60s the Niners were also-rans. And the raiders seemed like they were having a hell of a lot more fun back then. the mad bomber, the stork, university of Mars and all that. I e always liked a lot of their players, stabler and Freddie B most of all, but I never really liked the team.

Same with baseball. Never liked the A’s at all though. At any time.

6. xoot said, on December 21, 2015 at 7:42 am

I have a couple of uncles who came out of the holler and played basketball at a small college in Kentucky. They’ve been huge UK fans all their lives. A wagonload of cousins have degrees and advanced degrees from UK. So I’ve followed UK basketball over the years. My kids picked up on the family spirit. I really don’t understand people who hate Calipari Every season’s a new challenge to meld a team out of 6 or 8 teenage stars and I’m always interested to watch him work at it. This year Marcus Lee, from the Bay Area, is slowly turning into a reliable presence inside. If the Wildcats pull it together in March, Lee will probably be one of the main reasons why.

7. alleykat69 said, on December 21, 2015 at 7:45 am

Lengerie Football League!!
    Gives new meaning to the Tight End position.

8. Flavor said, on December 21, 2015 at 8:04 am

I just checked and apparently I am the BBOTD. When did I do that? I’ll change that soon…..

• chipower9 said, on December 21, 2015 at 10:35 am

Damn…I think that was a couple of months ago. Nothing personal, Flav, but I soon forgot about the BBOTD. Time to fire it back up…especially when talk around the hot stove is sooooo sloooooowww…

9. willedav said, on December 21, 2015 at 8:33 am

Calipari isn’t a fav coach of mine, but his book is quite interesting. He’s selling a brand and in his eyes trying to get kids ready for NBA in a very short window, which is going to involve a lot of hard work and fitting into his way of doing it.
    . He also encourages those who leave early to come back and finish up their degrees, about all he can do. If someone isn’t interested in furthering their ed it’s unfortunate but that’s a kid’s choice. How much did Jason Kidd get out of “attending” UC Berkeley for a couple years?
    At the end of the book he has a number of recommendations, most of which are good ideas and thought provoking…including taking enforcement out of NCAA hands to neutral party.

As with a lot of successful programs where sellouts in big stadiums and arenas are the norm, the kids often get left with nothing, and zero legal avenues in times of need.

• Macdog said, on December 21, 2015 at 9:13 am

I’m sure you saw Monmouth beat Rutgers yesterday. Led most of the way, then survived a big run late to hang on. Big difference was MU’s work on the offensive glass and getting putbacks, kinda weird for a mid-major to have that over a Big Ten team, although RU came in depleted up front. Up next: A trip to Ithaca to face Cornell.

10. Bozo said, on December 21, 2015 at 8:52 am

If a team has a skink as a mascot, they are my number 1 team.

Years ago, in the paper bag days, I’d root for the Saints when they weren’t playing the Niners, so I guess they were a second team.
    I started rooting for the USA Curling team during the Olympics. I never watched Curling before but some friends started a fan club and the next thing you know…
    I’m not a big Rugby fan but if the All Blacks are on, I’ll watch.
    I usually try and hit a Zephyrs game if they’re playing when I’m in New Orleans.
    I used to go to the Humboldt Crabs games when I lived in Arcata and one of these days, I’ll catch a Daredevils game here.

In the meantime, Go Skinks!

• xoot said, on December 21, 2015 at 9:18 am

I’m a big fan of the Women of Curling calendars.

• Bozo said, on December 21, 2015 at 9:32 am

Funny thing Xoot, I don’t remember who won the women events, but some of them sure were fine, matches I mean. I’ll have to check out the calendar to see if they show any eight-enders.

• chipower9 said, on December 21, 2015 at 10:40 am

I caught Zephyr games on a few occasions when I was in the Big Easy either on business or with the Air Force. What I recall was their ball park was kind of in the middle of nowhere (been many many years ago). When I travel, one of the first things I will do is to see who the local teams are, and also whether or not they are in town.

11. zumiee said, on December 21, 2015 at 9:41 am

The whole “1 and done” thing is a joke, IMO, and makes a travesty of the concept of a student-athlete.
    Sure, Calipari just plays by the rules as they are written, and recruits accordingly, but I don’t like it. Just my opinion.

12. Flavor said, on December 21, 2015 at 9:47 am

nice article. A lot of people don’t like this guy but I do.

• chipower9 said, on December 21, 2015 at 10:50 am

Fuck, what a depressing read. Tomsula seems like a nice guy, I am just not convinced he is the guy to lead the team to the promise land. On KNBR this morn during my drive into work, they were mentioning that if the Niners go out and get a top coach (you mean like Harbaugh?) that costs 5 mil, they also owe Jim T. something like seven mil. Not sure the Niners will eat 12 mil for a head coach. I still think they need to clean house and get some top notch folks to run the team. Baalke and Tomsula need to go, IMO. The current state of the Niners is damned near as dismal as it was in the late 70s when you had Joe Thomas at the helm. Argh…

13. Flavor said, on December 21, 2015 at 9:48 am

Skinks!

• Bozo said, on December 21, 2015 at 10:21 am

“If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.” -Unknown

14. zumiee said, on December 21, 2015 at 9:54 am

I like my local minor league baseball team, the Modesto Nuts, a Single A team, even though they are a Rockies affiliate. And I can see them play the San Jose Giants when they come to town.

15. Bozo said, on December 21, 2015 at 10:20 am

Oops, I posted in the wrong spot. Go Skinks.

16. chipower9 said, on December 21, 2015 at 10:29 am

I grew up in Oklahoma and my parents and most of my relatives were big Oklahoma football fans. College football is KING in those parts. Back in those days, OU or Nebraska were odds-on favorites to win the national title. So, I was, and still am a big OU fan. I like their chances this year in the limited college football playoff. Not being biased, but I truly think they are the most talented/deep team this year.

The other team I followed as a kid and into my early adult life (prior to moving to CA with the Air Force) was the Cardinals (baseball – the Cardinal football team was still in St. Louis back then). I remember many a night having to go to bed before the game was over, and tuning-in on my transistor radio to listen to Harry Caray call the Cards games. I was also a Chiefs fan growing up as a kid (these were the days of Len Dawson, Jan Stenerud, Buck Buchanan, Curly Culp, Otis Taylor, etc.). Most people (my family included were Cowboy fans). Fuck that!

When I moved to CA in ’77, I knew within short order that I was going to stay in NorCal, and decided to follow local teams. I met a guy who I hit it off with who was also into Harley Davidsons, and he was a huge Giant and Niner fan. Wore off on me, and I have been a Giant and Niner fan ever since. But, my college football allegiance is still with the OU Sooners.

• Flavor said, on December 21, 2015 at 10:36 am

that was Joe Altobelli Time, too. Nice time to enter as a fan…..

• djloo27 said, on December 21, 2015 at 5:27 pm

That ’71 Oklahoma-Nebraska game was an all-time classic that actually lived up to the massive hype.
      Think it was on Thanksgiving Day but not sure…

17. ewisco said, on December 21, 2015 at 10:49 am

when i was in jr. high, i would ride my bike to stanford and pay a buck to sit in the end zone with my bag lunch and watch plunkett throw to vataha. hooked ever since.

• unca_chuck said, on December 21, 2015 at 10:57 am

Hah! Yeah, I remember watching Lynn Swann (Padre class of ’70) play against Stanford back in his USC days.

18. unca_chuck said, on December 21, 2015 at 10:51 am

I have no bone to pick with Jim Tomsula, mainly because he willingly came in to a situation that he KNEW was a clusterfuck, he was dealt a dogshit hand from the outset, and the team was decimated by injuries through the season, but he should be the collateral damage of hiring a new GM who brings in a new coaching staff.

If the new GM wants him back as a D line coach, I don;t think he will turn it down. I like Rathman as the RB coach, but all of the rest should go.

19. chipower9 said, on December 21, 2015 at 10:54 am

For not having a thread Flav, this one worked out pretty good. It is cool to hear different Flappers’ spin on teams they have followed over the years, etc.

20. chipower9 said, on December 21, 2015 at 10:55 am

And in case any of you are wondering…

Only 58 days until pitchers and catchers report…

21. Carstie Clausen said, on December 21, 2015 at 11:07 am

Speculations and suppositions. Jim Duquette, who comments for MLB. com, opines that the Giants are #1 in the hunt for Yoenis Cespedes. Other teams he figures to be in on the dude include the Tigies, the What Sux, the Orioles and the dark-winged second team from LaLaLand. Glut of good outfielders out there right now. Somebody like Gerardo Parra is more likely than a bigger name to end up as a Giant, i would think. But, just in case the usually close-purse ownership group in SF decides they want to go probable on another Market Street parade, maybe they would take the plunge on Cespedes.

Do get the feeling SF will add a quality outfielder. Maybe all these teams are currently sweating the agents to get some nice post-Holiday discounts. Collusion? Nah, not in this game.

22. eddacker said, on December 21, 2015 at 11:59 am

I have always loved Formula 1, they are the thoroughbreds of auto racing and the races are great entertainment. I have called the cubbies my #2 team for a very long time. My father was a season ticket holder with the Raiders from Frank Youell Field until the Raiders moved south and became the “traitors” and Al Davis became “#!%*&!!” out of his mouth.
    Big fan of the championship Warriors back in the Rick Berry days. When Robert Parish went to Boston I believe I truly grieved. Jamal Wilkes, Cliff Ray, Al Attles were all great sportsmen to have about. I left around the Chris Mullens time.

While in England I followed Liverpool FC and World Cup Rugby.

And the Olympics, always love them amateur, clean, healthy youth demonstrating so many skills.

But. . . baseball, baseball, baseball is deep in my blood from forever. And even more so wince coming here from the Flap OH! those long years ago. Thanks, flappers, near and far. I got truly excit_edd when I found out one of the girls in my new office was a scholarship college softballer. (she also wins at fantasy football).

• unca_chuck said, on December 21, 2015 at 12:03 pm

I was the same way with Nate Thurmond. Turns out it GOT us that ’75 championship.

Yeah, my familiy was all Cubs/Sox fans.

23. sfsarge said, on December 21, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Pretty cool thread. Due to my being stationed there in the Army, I started following Hawaii football. My first year there was the year they went undefeated and got smoked by Georgia in the Sugar bowl. College football is pretty big out there considering there really isn’t much else going on sportswise. There is a lot of talent out there, big Polynesian guys that can play. But, most of the guys who are any good can’t wait to get the hell off of that island so they sign somewhere else.

24. Flavor said, on December 21, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Jerry CrasnickVerified account
    โ€@jcrasnick
    Former IF Freddy Sanchez, who had contemplated a comeback in recent years, filed his retirement papers today. He turns 38 today.

• chipower9 said, on December 21, 2015 at 1:58 pm

We should fund creation of a glass statue to commemorate this event….

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 21, 2015 at 2:10 pm

ouch…crinkle split crash crunch crinkle

25. Irish Kevin said, on December 21, 2015 at 12:35 pm

I didn’t really have a fav Football team in the 70’s, but some of the players I liked…Fran Tarkington of the Vikes, Ed “Too Tall” Jones of the Cowboys, in the 70’s the Cowboys had a bad ass D. Baseball was the same way, love the Giants, but I loved watching the great pitchers of that time, Koufax was so dominating he was just fun to watch. I loved the 77 & 78 Yankees for beating the Dodgers in the WS, those were fun games to watch!!

26. chipower9 said, on December 21, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Craig – you mentioned needing to update the BBOTD (I am sure most Flappers agree), so why not combine that update with a shot from the Women of Curling calendar mentioned earlier. (I had to check it out…yowza…their are some fine looking hens, there…)

27. pawliekokonuts said, on December 21, 2015 at 2:05 pm

I enjoyed — and feel grateful for — Twinfan’s post yesterday, for its sheer normalcy, its blessedly back to living in ordinary daylight, food references and humor included.

28. pawliekokonuts said, on December 21, 2015 at 2:08 pm

I did it. Booked my flight to Reykjavik, three weeks from today. The trip will be way too short (sorry, Snarkk), but I’ll take it. More will be revealed. (I will make a book out of this; already started it at The Laughorist.)

• Bozo said, on December 21, 2015 at 3:01 pm

The Northern Lights should still be happening, yeah?

29. zumiee said, on December 21, 2015 at 3:00 pm

“When Robert Parish went to Boston”

I think the trade was Jo Jo White and somebody else to the Warriors for Parrish and the draft pick that became Kevin McHale. The Celtics had just drafted Larry Bird, so that trade really set the Celtics up nicely for the next decade. And, of course, that trade did didly-squat for the Warriors.

• unca_chuck said, on December 21, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Robert Parish for an old Jo Jo White and the right to draft Joe Barely Carroll.

One of the worst trades in any sport.

• Lurker John said, on December 21, 2015 at 3:37 pm

lol.

30. zumiee said, on December 21, 2015 at 3:10 pm

I’ve always been a huge Kareem fan. Love the guy. I missed his college years, but I remember seeing him play for the Bucks, before he eventually played for the Lakers. Those epic showdowns with the Celtics in the ’80s were so incredibly intense. That was the height of NBA history, to me.
    But what the current Warriors have done is very special so far; and who knows what the future holds?
    I never got much into the Jordan years. The NBA in the ’90s became very defense-oriented and it was just killing the NBA. There were scores routinely like 85-79. The rules had to be changed and something done.

• zumiee said, on December 21, 2015 at 3:11 pm

• unca_chuck said, on December 21, 2015 at 4:18 pm

What I find eminently cool about that gif is the fact that the Gahhhden is filled with cigarette smoke.

• ewisco said, on December 21, 2015 at 3:23 pm

i guy i worked for had a daughter who went to ucla at the same time as Lew. total egghead so she’s going to the library one day with a stack of books in her arms and collides with some guy and the books go sprawling. so the guy stoops down and helps her pick them all up and she starts to say thank you. well apparently she’s looking at his belt buckle and cranes her head back and back to see his face and says: you should play basketball!!

apparently lew had no comment.

• Lurker John said, on December 21, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Kareem was a stud and very fun to watch.

31. unca_chuck said, on December 21, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Yeah, those were the days. Thurmond/Chamberlain battles were always fun to watch. Kareem/Chamberlain as well. I was a big b-ball fan as a kid, and these Warriors remind me of those days of pass pass pass for the good open shot. Course we don’t have the scoring big man in the middle, but Bogut is a great distributor.

32. Lurker John said, on December 21, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I follow the Philadelphia Flyers during the winter months, and also the Mariners during baseball season. They’re local so it’s kind of hard not to. I’ve been a Flyers fan since about ’78. Used to watch and enjoy the Sonics when they were here. The Seahawks? I just hate on their asses and their prick fans.

• zumiee said, on December 21, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I like the Mariners’ ballpark a lot. I’ve been there several times.

• Lurker John said, on December 21, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Yep, it’s a beauty.

33. gianthead said, on December 21, 2015 at 3:42 pm

How could I forget!!! Bozo’s rugby reference just made my head explode that I forgot to bring it up this morning.

I think may have told the story here before. So about three years ago the Premier League started to get played weekly on directv. So I decided that in order to truly get into it I had to pick a team.

There were no teams who wear orange and black so I decided I had to pick a team with the same geographical distinction as SF. So it had to be a Liverpool team but Liverpool itself is owned by the Red Sox owner John Henry. So that team was out. But in my quick learn of the Premier League, I discovered the Merseyside rivalry between Liverpool and it’s arch – rival Everton.

And once I looked into Everton’s history, they have a somewhat similar history with the Giants. They had their glory years in the 60s but always came up short of the Championship. They then had their lean years in the 70s and the franchise had a rebirth beginning in the late 80s.

In the 2000s they have been one of the most productive and wealthiest teams but unlike our Giants of recent note keep underachieving. They were in the top 10 about a month ago and had three straight games against inferior opponents and reminiscent of Giant teams in the past they tied all three games. If they had won all three they would have jumped up to 5th place.

One game they scored with 15 seconds left in extra time to take the lead after blowing a 2-0 lead at halftime. So a 3 pt resurrection was within grasp and the other team storms down the field and bloody scores on a cross header over our American National goalie, Tim Howard, another reason to root root for Everton.

It was like the Giants blowing a 7 run lead in Colorado in 1998…

• gianthead said, on December 21, 2015 at 3:57 pm

And the funny thing is I probably have more Everton paraphernalia for myself than Giants gear. Ordering their stuff from England at the end of the season is so much cheaper than Giants gear at mlb.com.

I definitely rot more for them than either the Niners or Kentucky at this point…

• gianthead said, on December 21, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Root for not rot more:(

• zumiee said, on December 21, 2015 at 4:05 pm

I love the movie “Invictus,” but I was amazed at how, even after watching the movie, I still had basically no idea what was going on in rugby. And it didn’t affect my enjoyment of the movie. ๐Ÿ™‚

• gianthead said, on December 21, 2015 at 5:28 pm

My sons were showing me a Canadian Football clip where the FG kicker misses a FG but the ball is caught in the end zone by the opposing team. For some reason that guy who caught it then kicks the ball back out and the kicking team then catches the ball and that guy then kicks it back to the end zone where it lands amongst a scramble and the kicking team recovers for a TD…wtf is going on up there???

34. gianthead said, on December 21, 2015 at 3:43 pm

And xoot love your KY family ties….

• xoot said, on December 21, 2015 at 7:41 pm

cool. the small college was Berea.

35. zumiee said, on December 21, 2015 at 4:11 pm

I didn’t watch the Miss Universe pageant, or even know that it was on, or even cared that it was on; but that was an epic mess-up by Steve Harvey at the end. What a nightmare ending for all involved. I think Trump is still involved with the pageant, so maybe it’s all fitting somehow.

• Flavor said, on December 21, 2015 at 4:36 pm

I mean, can he read? There were 2 names written down on the card. The runner up and the winner. I rather enjoyed the awkwardness of it all since I think beauty pageants are so dated and dumb.

• snarkk said, on December 21, 2015 at 9:48 pm

There are no skinks in that Miss Universe final group…

36. Paul Sorensen said, on December 21, 2015 at 5:48 pm

As a boy growing up in Joisey, no surprise here: first baseball game ever was at the age of 5, Yankee Stadium, ’61, so yeah, a Yanks fan of course, even supposedly cried a bit (so my Dad said) when the Dogs swept NY in ’63, and of course have hated LA ever since. Shed the Yanks when Steinbrenner took over. But growing up around Princeton, middle of the state, I liked “having a team” in both leagues, so I also grew up a Phils fan, mostly because my Dad was. Even though I was never a Phanatic, I went to more Phils’ games than Yanks, and what I remember appreciating most was all the great players from other teams I’d get to see coming in to Philly. No, Craig, not difficult to still be a diehard Giants fan even living so far away. It runs deep, it always runs deep… and the Flap helps keep it alive. Other than the G’s, there’s really no other team in any sport that I follow. It’s more just a collection of loser teams that I rather dislike… ๐Ÿ™‚

• Flavor said, on December 21, 2015 at 8:54 pm

great post to end the day. I can’t make it POTD mostly because that would mean I’d have to take the skink potd down and I’m just not ready, emotionally, to do that yet.

• Paul Sorensen said, on December 21, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Yeah, that skink post is gonna be tough to beat. Skink is always tough to beat…

37. Flavor said, on December 21, 2015 at 9:05 pm

• Paul Sorensen said, on December 21, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Damn, thought that was Blade for a minute there….

• snarkk said, on December 21, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Blade’s in better shape…

38. snarkk said, on December 21, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Good luck Pawlie, on the Iceland trip. Sounds great. The Northern Lights should be going on for sure. Drink some of their “Black Death” aquavit, and you’ll see even more of them…

39. snarkk said, on December 21, 2015 at 9:52 pm

I remember as a kid watching the UCLA v. Houston game from the Astrodome, circa 1968 or some such. The Game of the Century, at that point. Of course, in those days essentially only 3 TV channels. That game was beyond HUGE. The pre-game hype was unreal, Lew Alcindor v. Elvin Hays was the matchup. And Houston won by a bucket. You have to remember that in those days, playing basketball in something as big as the ‘Dome was unheard of. So, even the placement of the game in that venue was startling, and added to the anticipation. I think Hays actually outplayed Kareem. The game totally lived up to the hype, and then some…

40. Macdog said, on December 21, 2015 at 11:25 pm

My parents had lunch last week with a group that included Len Coleman, the Last NL President. My father said they talked a little baseball. I knew Coleman was from my home area in Jersey, so I guess he’s still living around there..It’s kind of a shame MLB did away with having a Prez for each league.

41. Don McGee said, on December 25, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Hi, I got employed in Salt Lake City in October of 1985. The Jazz had Stockton and would draft Malone the next year. I became a die hard Jazz fan that year, and have been ever since.