Entertainment

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 22, 2015

What sports can you literally just not bring yourself to watch? The only ones I can’t watch are hockey, car racing and soccer. And probably curling. Unless you’re talking about the damn calendar and then I’m positively glued to it.

I’d probably rank my favorite sports to watch, in order, as baseball, horse racing, college football, NFL, golf, college basketball, poker, NBA….that’s about it. I’d watch a body building competition before any of the 4 listed in the first paragraph. In fact, I’ve been known to take in a one-off body building contest on occasion…..

It’s funny how far the sport of boxing has fallen. I didn’t even consider it until I got done writing this thread. Back in the day we would all get together at someone’s house and watch the Tyson fights. Didn’t matter how long they lasted. Loved those parties.

1. chipower9 said, on December 22, 2015 at 6:54 am

If there is nothing else on, I can watch damned near anything. But the only thing I can think of, sports-wise that I would not watch, is a fishing tournament.

Order of preference: baseball, college football, college baseball, NFL, Sharks hockey, college basketball, NBA, soccer (only if it is the World Cup)…fuck, when you go about seven deep in the pecking order, that is enough.

Many times when it comes to that much of a “stretch” in sports, I will just watch something I have DVR’d (for example, I started watching the John Lennon concert to commemorate what would have been his 75th birthday last night). Zumiee – you mentioned liking this…I am not that far into my viewing, but what I did see was awesome.

2. Bozo said, on December 22, 2015 at 6:59 am

Hector, the Human Pinball Machine, Sanchez, is now a White Sox.

Watching sports on TV is pretty much down to just baseball and playoff type games for me now. I used to love watching all the televised NFL games but I’m pretty down on the NFL these days but will watch the playoffs. Haven’t watched NBA games in a long time but will watch some playoff games. Soccer – no, World Cup – yes. College sports – no, some tournament/bowl games – yes. Track and field – no, Olympics – some. Boxing? Not since Ali. Never seen a body building competition, live or on the tube.
    I guess I’m just not watching that much sports on the tube these days.

3. wilcojoe said, on December 22, 2015 at 7:06 am

Baseball, college football, NFL, golf in that order. Big drop off to the next tier and then I go college basketball, NBA, horses, poker, and occasionally car racing (Daytona only).

I used to love watching bowling when Chris Schenkel was the lead voice for ABC. His voice combined with the soft cracking of the pins was the perfect elixir for a Saturday afternoon nap.

4. chipower9 said, on December 22, 2015 at 7:16 am

I was surprised this did not get much traffic, but then you have to take all this crap with a grain of salt, but supposedly, the Giants are the odds-on favorites to land Cespedes (last bullet point).

That would be bad ass. For some reason I just do not think the Giants are done. I think they will sign an OFer, even if it is not Cespedes.

5. willedav said, on December 22, 2015 at 7:17 am

I still watch a lot of sports, tho no to soccer or golf and way less NFL. Working Saturdays I see way less college football than I used to. Major props to east coast guys who stay up to watch Giants, something I often can’t do here half hour or so away from the yard.

If I read this right, under Transactions Dodgers announce Ryan Garko will manage Tulsa in Texas League.
    Huh? Maybe this is what Sabes saw in the guy…I think they also hired Bob Geren too (someone did recently) and that guy’s best reference was being best man at Billy Beane’s wedding.

6. chipower9 said, on December 22, 2015 at 7:18 am

Loo – from last thread – yes, the 1971 OU-Nebraska game was a classic. I believe it was billed as “Game of the Century.” Nebraska had the top defense and was riding a twenty-some game win streak (and were defending national champs). OU had the top offense, racking-up 400+ yards a game with their vaunted wishbone offense. And yes, it was on Thanksgiving day. Unfortunately, the Cornhuskers won that one 35-31. And yes, it was a game that definitely lived-up to the hype.

7. unca_chuck said, on December 22, 2015 at 7:24 am

I tell you one thing, this year has been. BIG drop off for me watching the NFL.

Between the incessant flags and the overall shitty play this year, it just isn’t what it was even a few short years ago. And the candy cane uniforms are a f uckking joke. The black Niner unis turned it to be the best of the bunch. Did anyone see the mustard vs ketchup game last Thursday? Looked like the USFL.

Body building? Nahh. Shit I used to watch bowling when I wS a kid. Tennis was fun back then as well. McEnroe Connors, Borg Nastase. Skiing whenever tt was on. Fran’s Klammer’s 1976 downhill win s still one of he craziest on he edge runs I ve seen.

8. wilcojoe said, on December 22, 2015 at 7:34 am

Speaking of poker, I have a comped room at one of the nicer casinos in Lake Charles, La tomorrow night. The wife, kids and myself leave for my in-laws tonight and since they live about 30 minutes from the TX-LA border, I decided to book a free room tomorrow night for myself.

I actually prefer going to the casinos by myself. I usually start off by playing some video poker, while I work up an appetite by downing some free Grey goose and sodas. This particular establishment actually gives free top shelf drinks. I will then put my name on the Hold ’em waiting list and head to the steakhouse bar and take in a nice rib eye or filet with an ice cold martini followed by a glass of a nice CA red. Usually around the time I finish off my last bite, my name gets called to the tables.

The next four to six hours I will play 2-5 hold em while slowly nursing said grey goose and sodas. Usually around 1-2am (sometimes later) I will head back up to my king size bed, take a couple aspirin and down a bottled water. I will sleep in until check out time and then head back to my in-laws.

Notwithstanding the great moments I share with my boys, a night like tomorrow night is about as good it gets entertainment wise for me.

• Flavor said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:05 am

sounds very similar to my monthly trips to Reno. That’s 2/5 no limit right?

• wilcojoe said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:18 am

Yeah.

• Flavor said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:25 am

nice. Was hoping you didn’t fiddle around with that limit crap.

• chipower9 said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:20 am

Sounds great Wilco. Enjoy. Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

• wilcojoe said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:42 am

You too Chi. Good luck to your Sooners. I would love to see Big game Bob take Saban down once again.

• chipower9 said, on December 22, 2015 at 11:02 am

Thanks. You and me both.

9. alleykat69 said, on December 22, 2015 at 7:39 am

Baseball, NFL( though it’s really getting harder to watch) College Football,Golf,Sharks,Skiing (only downhill)and back in the day..Wide World of Sports “Cliff Diving in Acapulco”

10. alleykat69 said, on December 22, 2015 at 7:39 am

11. xoot said, on December 22, 2015 at 7:43 am

Hurling is a sport everyone should see at least once. (There’s a women’s version of it with another name.) People all over Ireland play. Neighborhoods have hurling fields where kids get together in pick up games. Adults form local leagues, get drunk and beat the hell out of each other with those wooden axes (“hurleys”) they run around with. I think helmets are reserved for special occasions–like when someone’s got a video camera running. The reference in the graphics to baseball is true. Guys with baseball experience are really good at catching and hitting. Sorry about the music with this clip. But still:

• chipower9 said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:28 am

Holy shit. I have never seen or heard of this game, but it is BAD ASS. I would watch that game big time!

• unca_chuck said, on December 22, 2015 at 9:22 am

Shit. The poor goalie doesn’t stand a chance

• chipower9 said, on December 22, 2015 at 11:02 am

No shit! Brings new meaning to the term “duck and cover!”

12. Flavor said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:24 am

Leake to Cards. 5 years, 80 mil. FUUUUUUUCK that.

13. Flavor said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:29 am

and a little bit of our pal DJ Loo just died: Alejandro de Anza to the Mets on a 1 year deal……

14. chipower9 said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:31 am

Vogey to get a plaque on the Wall of Fame at the Phone Park. I think it is deserved…

15. Flavor said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:56 am

burned our good friend Shoptaw on Twitter just now:

“Cardinal70 ‏@C70 17m17 minutes ago
    @1flapdown77 He was hurt out there as well, right?

Flavor ‏@1flapdown77 15m15 minutes ago
    @C70 took FOREVER to come back from a hammy inj. NEVER was truly part of team. Plus, he’s a thief.

Cardinal70 ‏@C70 12m12 minutes ago
    @1flapdown77 I can forgive that more than Cueto’s high kicks, however.

Flavor ‏@1flapdown77 11m11 minutes ago
    @C70 I was talking about the 80 mil he just stole, not the tee shirt heist. lqtm.”

16. unca_chuck said, on December 22, 2015 at 9:53 am

The Dogs are still on the sidelines . . . interesting.

17. willedav said, on December 22, 2015 at 10:10 am

My good luck to hear a bunch of old school rock on sound system while doing cardio at gym this AM–Cream, Animals, Doors. I thanked the desk guy on way out and he said, “I used to listen to this music cruising First Street.” That’s an expression I hadn’t heard in awhile, but known to all who lived in South Bay.

while I didn’t do much of that with the lowrider guys et al, there was a great record store couple blocks over in downtown Jose, Underground Records, at 3rd and San Fernando a block from San Jose St. LPs were in $4 range, they had all kinds of bootlegs (my little brother loved Dylan) and one of guys who worked there wore tee shirt or sweatshirt over a long skirt, first time I ever saw something like that.

Xoot, I read Galway writer Ken Bruen’s stuff a lot, really dark, and hurleys come up often. Lead guy is a former Garda named Jack Taylor and he mostly survives on steady diet of Jameson and Guinness plus occasional joint. Newest is “Green Hell”, outrageous as always.

• unca_chuck said, on December 22, 2015 at 10:17 am

I must have done 50,000 miles cruising the El . . .

• alleykat69 said, on December 22, 2015 at 11:51 am

With you on that one Chuck!
        Burning rubber under the tunnel drop by Hillsdale and pulling into Heidi’s for a cup of joe, standard Fri-Sat night chasing skirts..

• xoot said, on December 22, 2015 at 10:42 am

I’ll check Bruen out. btw, I think I remember that record store. A couple of my HS friends in Santa Clara listened to my copy of the Temptations album Psychedelic Shack and the next day went to downtown SJ to buy it where I’d found it. A black guy with a big afro was behind the counter. He looked at the LP and said, “Man, that is one BAD record.” The other friend told me that the kid with the money panicked and made a move as if to change his mind about the purchase, until the guy behind the counter laughed in his face. (Take a Stroll Through Your Mind still amazes me, from time to time.)

• willedav said, on December 22, 2015 at 11:10 am

Bruen wrote earlier stuff set in England police station, really funny group of detectives and higher ups. Lead guy is a big Ed McBain fan who regularly circumvents whatever he doesn’t like.
        The Jack Taylor ones set in Ireland are other side of the coin, way darker except for his brutally funny one liners often centered around the word “eejit.”

18. unca_chuck said, on December 22, 2015 at 10:16 am

Funny. I was perusing some Dodger news about their recent moves, and apparently Greg Maddux is looking to be a pitching coach on a ‘west coast’ team as his son is a freshman pitcher at UNLV. There is specualtion he’s going to the Dodgers. Some guy wrote this:

With all these Asst GM’s and special assts., is there a 40 man roster for the FO?? …if there is I bet I know who gets DFA’d 1st ….his name rhymes w/ Med Soletti.

19. unca_chuck said, on December 22, 2015 at 10:20 am

Tried to get into hockey, and it has its moments, but not too into that Soccer? No. Most of the olympics are pretty much a negatory. Although women’s pole vaulting . . .

20. snarkk said, on December 22, 2015 at 10:58 am

Will not watch car racing. Might watch a bit of motorcycle road racing if I stumble on it. NFL is getting very hard to watch. No NBA unless it’s the Dubs. Baseball is #1…

21. blade3colorado said, on December 22, 2015 at 11:40 am

Mind boggling that these ESPN writers, Doug Mittler and Buster Olney are saying that Scott Kazmir is the best available free-agent option for the Dodgers.

Did anyone tell these “ace reporters” that Kazmir is a lefty and the Bums already have an over abundance of lefties (4 at last count) on their rotation? Please Santa – make this be true.

• zumiee said, on December 22, 2015 at 1:07 pm

MLB Network did a thing on the right-handed hitters these Dodgers lefties will have to face. Posey, Pence, Goldschmidt, Pollock, Kemp, Arrenado, and some others.

• zumiee said, on December 22, 2015 at 1:07 pm

In the division, I mean.

• wilcojoe said, on December 22, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Agree Steve, he was a disaster for Houston in the second half and it had absolutely nothing to do with the ballpark.

22. Irish Kevin said, on December 22, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Let’s see, I am seasonal, so baseball, Football, and B-ball, I watch the NCAA basketball tourney when it gets down to the sweet 16, I will not watch Golf, bowling, or car racing on the telly. But I will watch the WS of poker!!

23. chipower9 said, on December 22, 2015 at 1:04 pm

WilleD mentioned a guy whose writing he likes earlier (Ken Bruen). I just got turned-on to a book “Kick the Balls” by Alan Black.

Black is a Scottish bloke who has written for the Chronicle in the past (have not seen him in a couple of months). I am about three chapters into “Kick the Balls” (a story of him moving to suburbia from downtown San Francisco and trying his hand at coaching little league soccer). What I have read is HILARIOUS! There have been multiple instances while reading this that I am literally laughing out loud and about to cry. The guy is a very good and witty writer. Just based on my read of the first three chapters…HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

24. sfsarge said, on December 22, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Baseball number one, Dubs b-ball, I haven’t watched a whole NFL game all season, niner suckitude is a huge factor. I’ll watch Serena play, especially in a major. Playoff hockey is pretty exciting, World cup can be. As far as golf, I would much rather play and the only car racing I like is going up to Sears point for the NHRA drag races.

• Flavor said, on December 22, 2015 at 4:42 pm

interesting note about the World Cup. It seems like every time there’s a ‘Cup, announcers everywhere start telling us how the US will FINALLY start watching soccer year round. And it never. ever. happens.

• sfsarge said, on December 22, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Yup, we’ve heard that the last 3. After that chick ran around in her sports bra, we were supposed to be hooked. I’ve even tried watching MLS matches, but they suck.

25. zumiee said, on December 22, 2015 at 1:34 pm

I can’t watch any of the fighting sports. Also on my no-watch list: auto-racing, golf, volleyball, poker, horse-racing, some of the Olympic sports, fishing or hunting shows, college softball, and college baseball. The ping of the aluminum bats just doesn’t do it for me.

26. zumiee said, on December 22, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Bad move by Brandon Phillips nixing the trade to the Nats. He could have played for a contender, and now he gets to wallow on a terrible Reds team. And maybe not even be a starter. The Reds just got a young promising secondbaseman from the Dodgers in a 3-team trade.

• Flavor said, on December 22, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Phillips cares more about his highlight reel plays, that are now few and far between, than winning a championship…….

27. zumiee said, on December 22, 2015 at 1:43 pm

I’ve climbed back on the Cespedes wagon. Let’s get him.
    Or J. Upton. That would work, also.
    Parra is a good choice, also.
    Any of the three. Make it so, Giants.

28. zumiee said, on December 22, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Great dunk in Warrior history:

• sfsarge said, on December 22, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Agreed

• unca_chuck said, on December 22, 2015 at 4:42 pm

It was the beginning of the end of that run, however . . . but we hadn’t seen the playoffs in 15 years, so it was all good . . .

29. unca_chuck said, on December 22, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Love to see Cespedes, but we’ll prolly end up with Denorfia

• Flavor said, on December 22, 2015 at 5:19 pm

agreed. Don’t see us signing a big bat or even a competent starting outfielder. And I’ve said that from the git-go.

• snarkk said, on December 22, 2015 at 9:23 pm

I tend to agree with you, hope we’re both wrong. Sabes seems to think, apparently, that one good OFer (Pence) is enough, and you can get by with mediocrity or worse in the other two OF positions. I say pour it on with better OF talent to compliment a great IF, catcher, and solid+ starting staff now…

30. unca_chuck said, on December 22, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Thinking about Tyson, the last big fight like that I watched of his was Bruce Seldon. (?) Something like that. I think the fight lasted 48 seconds. The 3rd undercard chick fight was more exciting. Great party though.

31. xoot said, on December 22, 2015 at 7:52 pm

good effort by Cal vs. Virginia tonight. Berkeley’s rebounding power is impressive. The entire team has amazing hands. They touch the ball, they get the ball. OT. Good game.

• Macdog said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Man, that’s a tough one.

• xoot said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:39 pm

they could’ve won it

32. pawliekokonuts said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:06 pm

I have no shame in admitting I have enjoyed watching sumo wrestling, though it is more like a ritualistic dance of human bears than wrestling.

33. pawliekokonuts said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:11 pm

In other news, Ryan “Never Did Crap for Us But Not as Bad as Dan Uggla” Garko will manage the Dodgers’ Tulsa team.

• blade3colorado said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Have fun on your Iceland trip. I wish I could provide you additional info (as snarkk did), but I didn’t go beyond the airport. What I could see from the air was a barren, weed choked landscape, with a road leading from the airport. I imagine that is the main artery to Reykjavík. This is essentially what I saw around and above the airport . . . but not as green. You are going to probably see the Aurora Borealis, which is remarkably vivid in winter. On the other hand, high season is high season for good reason. Most tours and adventure trips to Iceland’s most renowned natural attractions end after September.

Again, snarrk would know way more than I about things to do, etc. Again, I hope you have fun Pawlie!

• djloo27 said, on December 22, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Looks like Planet of the Apes.
        I wouldn’t count on meeting anyone with an SF hat…

• unca_chuck said, on December 22, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Say hi to Bjork for me. Could get skinky with that.

34. djloo27 said, on December 22, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Inspired by Iceland:

• unca_chuck said, on December 22, 2015 at 9:19 pm

I think it was Scandinavia, but I won’t quibble…

35. zumiee said, on December 22, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Pawlie, I have a friend who taught for a few years in Japan who got totally hooked on watching sumo wrestling.

36. blade3colorado said, on December 22, 2015 at 9:07 pm

I’m thinking that ESPN is all wet about Kazmir going to the Dodgers. It just doesn’t make sense them signing a lefty. However, I can see them trading with the Rays for prized righty Jake Odorizzi or fellow righties Drew Smyly and Alex Cobb. However, Cobb had TJ surgery in mid May. Denver Post is saying the Rockies also are enquiring about Rays pitchers for Cargo.

37. snarkk said, on December 22, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Pawlie to do’s and don’t in Iceland:

1. Blue Lagoon soak. Bring money, and be prepared to be disappointed.
    2. Hire a smokin’ tourguide. They’re all named Helgi —–dottir or similar. The one at 3:40 is my favorite on this vid — there are young ladies like her everywhere.

3. Rent a car and drive outside of Reykavik. Somewhere, anywhere. To the Hekla volcano, Gulfoss, Thingvellir.
    4. Do NOT eat the Hakarl = pickled shark, unless your hot blonde tourguide promises you more personal attention if you prove yourself. And, the blood sausage — you’re on your own.
    5. Do at least one farmstay night out in the boondocks.
    6. Drink the Black Death.
    7. Video the Northern Lights for the Flap.
    8. Hit one or two nightclubs in Reykavik.
    9. Skyr for breakfast every morning.
    10. Feel your inner Viking. The natives do — they’re all descendants of Vikings. Icelandic is the closest to 1000 year Old Norse language that Lief Ericksen spoke. The current day Norwegians and Swedish can’t even much understand it…

• blade3colorado said, on December 22, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Flavor should find the BBOTD version of this video

• chipower9 said, on December 23, 2015 at 7:31 am

Agreed!

Damn…that video alone makes me want to book a trip to Iceland. My guess is Gail might have a problem if I wanted to fly solo on that trip!

• eddacker said, on December 22, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Damn, the snarkk knows tour guides and what to do in that fascinating land of natural thermal heating. enjoy Mr. wordsmith, enjoy.

• ewisco said, on December 23, 2015 at 12:12 pm

you don’t think the rat-dog disqualifies her? and why isn’t miss Iceland the runner up, I mean the winner of miss universe more often?

38. pawliekokonuts said, on December 23, 2015 at 6:49 am

Great stuff, guys. My VRBO house host is, naturally, Helga.

• chipower9 said, on December 23, 2015 at 7:31 am

Cannot wait to see the pictures and videos, Pawlie. Happy Trails my friend!

39. pawliekokonuts said, on December 23, 2015 at 7:32 am

I am doomed! Just looked at Snarkk’s vid. I may come back with the two gals at 0:41, or maybe the six with sports bras. I AM DOOMED. Paradise! May not come back.

40. willedav said, on December 23, 2015 at 7:39 am

Big argument on mlbtr thread over value of Leake vs. Samardz, and McCoveyChron takes it up too.
    One telling comment from blogger on mlbtr was that if Cards are in playoffs, Leake and his $80 mil might not even get a start behind Wainwright Wacha Martinez.
    Despite career numbers he way under impressed here in a yard that should have helped him and didn’t do much to help Giants contend. I think Samardz will do exact opposite.

Couple guys mentioned hockey—which I used to watch more of when Sharks were better and Drew Remenda was color guy. Hockey imo does best job in all major sports of making best use of sideline guy, often a former player as opposed to some glammed up cute gal. Listening to hockey players and coaches in general is refreshing respite from the Richard Sherman’s of the world.

Nice article in Chron today on Ivan Rabb, who admits he could be gone after this year.

Alan Black btw writes regularly on soccer for the Chron usually about big time Euro teams and English premier league.
    Dunno about any of that stuff but he is a good read.

• chipower9 said, on December 23, 2015 at 8:02 am

WillieD – agree on the sideline aspect of hockey (former players vs. cute bimbo who doesn’t know one end of a hockey stick from the other).

Also, I do know that Alan Black has written for the Chron, I just never read his pieces. But his book “Kick the Balls” that was passed along to me is hilarious. There is literally something on every page that has me laughing out loud. Gail gave me the warning last night (while we were both in bed reading) that next laugh and I had to go to another room. I just could not stop laughing. The guy is a damned good writer and is funny as hell, IMO.

• willedav said, on December 23, 2015 at 8:12 am

Thx man, I’ll have to check that out. Seems like very cool guy.
        I’m gonna start the Knight book about LA, the obviously mistakenly titled “Best Team Money Can Buy.”

That was old line Dick Gregory used in the ’60s about Chicago, “Best police force money can buy. Some judges too.”

41. chipower9 said, on December 23, 2015 at 8:05 am

I know a few of you have said you do not expect to see the Giants get an OFer, and I have said I do not think they are done, and will do so. Here is a read on that topic from Bobby Evans…apologies if this has already been shared.

When he talks “flexibility” it makes me think someone along the lines of Parra, who can play all OF positions and lead-off.

Also, if the Giants do not make a move for an OFer, with Crazy Horse being a FA next year, the Giants would have two slots to fill. It makes sense to get an OFer now, and only have one slot to worry about next year, IMO.

I still predict our boys inking an OFer. Any wagers?

42. alleykat69 said, on December 23, 2015 at 8:28 am

Agree Chi..
    Evans is really impressing me.He’s not the puppet I thought he might be under Sabes.Those 2 big signings is Cuevro Cueto& Smarzaloppa showed me he’s all in!!
    So yeah I could see him still going after Parra or Fowler which would be awesome.