Santa Claus’d

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 24, 2015

I keep hoping for a Christmas miracle, like we sign Matt Latos or something. That would be a hoot, right? Just to shoot the shit over? If you were one of the remaining free agent outfielders I could see today being a preferred day to sign a deal. One, big 100 million dollar box under the tree. Wives would like it….

Merry Christmas eve to Flappers far and wide. What a perfect day to hope for a “Cespedes for the restofus”……

In case you missed it, Pawlie takes a moment to sit down with himself for a hard hitting interview with none other than…..himself.

1. chipower9 said, on December 24, 2015 at 8:21 am

In case I do not get on tomorrow…

Wishing all Flappers across the Flap Universe far and wide the Merriest of Christmases and a New Year blessed with gratitude, the best of health, happiness, and good fortune!

Thanks again Craig for providing us this community. Sharing sports talk and life with you Flappers is a wonderful thing, and for that I am very grateful.

Now bring on that “Cespedes for the Restofus” gift, or something comparable. Or yes…a Matt Latos signing (LMAO already over that one)…

2. chipower9 said, on December 24, 2015 at 8:33 am

Awesome interview, Pawlie. I tried to leave a comment, but it wants a google account to log in (do not have and not creating one).

With that, my comment:

Happy Trails on your Icelandic journey Mr. Kokonuts!

Wishing you and yours a happy Christmas and a healthful and happy New Year!

3. unca_chuck said, on December 24, 2015 at 8:35 am

Merry Christmas, all!! Have a great one. And if you are driving out there, be careful.

• willedav said, on December 24, 2015 at 9:24 am

yeah, drunk as skink or whatever day you believe it is.

4. blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2015 at 8:40 am

Merry Christmas and happy New Year to all. 🙂

Shortest interview in the world Pawlie, but hard hitting (lqtm). I did leave a comment.

5. xoot said, on December 24, 2015 at 9:51 am

merry Festivus! Have a laugh, too: http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2015/12/22/10656460/should-the-cubs-get-buster-posey

• blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2015 at 9:56 am

Frank Costanza is proud of you . . . In fact, he’s on the way to your house with the aluminum tree (sans branches and tinsel).

• xoot said, on December 24, 2015 at 10:01 am

yeah, the tinsel distracts him

6. zumiee said, on December 24, 2015 at 10:08 am

Lots of great posts by Pawlie on his blog about his Iceland decision, his spiritual journey.
    I enjoyed catching up on his older posts. Great stuff.

• blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2015 at 10:31 am

I went back after your post. Yes, some very good posts. Quite personal too. Also, I loved his Iceland poem, which deserves to be seen here . . .

“Iceland poem 1”

Escarpments of escape

Humming under the wind

Springs eternal

Borealis sky

Aurora antiphons

Surging in my skin

7. pawliekokonuts said, on December 24, 2015 at 11:31 am

Love you all. Merry Incarnations of Nativity.

8. ewisco said, on December 24, 2015 at 11:37 am

nice year-in-review-quotes by alex at the merc.

and having seen eiransdottir, I wouldn’t mind a shot at eirensmater.

happy holidays knuckleheads!

9. Bozo said, on December 24, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Maybe the Giants are waiting until 1/8 when Denard Span does a showcase (hip surgery for a speed guy should merit 5 or 6 days of showcases, don’t ya think?). Oh, and a happy birthday, first day on earth day, to Gregor Blanco.
    Christmas, merry, ho ho hoes, y’all.

10. zumiee said, on December 24, 2015 at 1:35 pm

I remember very little about any assignments I did when I was in junior high, but for some reason I remember a satire on “The Night Before Christmas” that two friends and I did for the little school newspaper. It was very insensitive and junior high-ish, as to be expected. In fact, schools these days wouldn’t even allow the thing to go in the school paper. It went something like:
    ‘Twas the night before Christmas
    And all through the poor-house
    Not a creature was stirring
    They’d eaten the last mouse
    The children hung up their stockings with care
    In the hopes that St. Nick would smell them there
    When Santa saw the children, he began to treat them
    When the kids saw the reindeer, they began to eat them

There was more, but thankfully I don’t remember the rest. 🙂

11. zumiee said, on December 24, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Wilt saying: “I don’t think so!”

• Flavor said, on December 24, 2015 at 2:18 pm

another vid of Wilt crushing a bunch of helpless white guys. Lemme ask you guys something: what would Wilt have done with Shaq? Would he have held sway or would Shaq, who probably outweighed him by 50 pounds, rolled over him like Wilt did to the skinny white guys?

• snarkk said, on December 25, 2015 at 1:07 pm

A mid-60s Wilt would have handled an in-his-prime Shaq. Seriously. Wilt was a world class athlete in his prime. The guy was an awesome, quick volleyball player. Shaq was a huge dude, who as a young guy had some moves, but couldn’t shoot, was not close to as quick as Wilt was in HIS prime, and Shaq just pushed guys out of his way in the low paint. Wilt actually could shoot in his younger days and handle, and is his older days his efforts to make bank shots showed the origins and echoes of his earlier shooting skills. I would take Wilt in his prime every night over Shaq in his…

12. Flavor said, on December 24, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Why would Cespedes want to come back to the Bay Area? His entire family lives in Florida now, at least everyone he could get over from Cuba. You would think he’d be all about the east coast and not pick a team that is furthest away from his family…….

13. wilcojoe said, on December 24, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Well, I didn’t do too well at the hold em tables but still had a good time. Back at my in-laws where it’s 80 degrees with equal humidity. What I wouldn’t give to be in Tahoe right now to go enjoy a real white Christmas!

Merry Christmas flapper nation!

• Flavor said, on December 24, 2015 at 4:33 pm

you too Wilco. I hope the free vodka sodas flowed like a tsunami running thru Japan! What, too soon?

14. giants54 said, on December 24, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Fwiw, Fangraphs says Eunice will have a 4 WAR dropoff in 2016.

15. blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2015 at 4:51 pm

By the by, for those who like Gravity . . . You can watch it free here in HD. No commercials, etc. Hook up your 7 or 15 foot HDMI cable to your big screen and you’re ready to go. Most movies after . . . umm, let’s say a month or two – have been pirated in HD and are available on upwards of a half dozen sites w/o commercials, other bullshit. Enjoy!

• Flavor said, on December 24, 2015 at 5:03 pm

nice, thanks. But I’m not giving them a cc. I’ve had to deal with bank fraud twice in the last 4 years.

16. blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Did you go to another server Flav? If so, they might have asked you to open an account. Bypass them.

• Flavor said, on December 24, 2015 at 5:51 pm

no, I didn’t get that far into the site. I have a buddy that downloads the pirated movies and emails them to me. I just thought it was a cool link for you to give out.

17. willedav said, on December 24, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Flav, I’ll stick up for Wilt vs. Shaq. In his prime Wilt was not only strongest guy in the league but also used to win the wind sprints with Sixers. League was a lot rougher in those days and he was known as the guy that stopped most fights single handedly. One year iirc he actually played every single minute the entire season. Guy was a physical marvel, and Bill Russell, who was hella smarter than Shaq, used to hold him to 30 and 20 and feel good about it.

Wilt was also lot taller than listed, apparently closer to 7-3. So he would just go right over Shaq with those long arms, at both ends. Because he didn’t like being called a bully who just dunked or finger rolled his points in, he developed passing skills and a fadeaway bank shot. Just way more skills than Shaq ever had.

• Flavor said, on December 24, 2015 at 6:30 pm

really glad to hear your take on this as I respect your bball knowledge over anyone else’s here. My point was how big Shaq was with clearly more skills than the tiny white guys Wilt dominated with ease. I guess we’ll never know. Shaq in his prime though, I’d probably go with him vs Wilt. But I never saw Wilt play, only the highlights of him dominating clearly inferior competition.
      *in his prime* is an important point since we all know Shaq had a short shelf life of true domination. Because of that I think people forget what a freak beast he was back in the day. What Shaq would have done to those little rug rats back in Wilt’s day would have been bordering on criminal behavior……

18. twinfan1 said, on December 24, 2015 at 7:00 pm

We were going to have ham tomorrow but some good friends stopped on Tuesday with a nice Prime Rib roast . They knew that Merna had collected antique Santas so Sandy brought her a few to start a new collection. These are people who also lost their home. That is what Christmas can be- the present that isn’t under the tree but in the charity of friends and family. I’ll add that the Valley Fires brought out the best in the people here and those who volunteered their help.

So I wish you all the gift that means the most- love and peace in your little part of the world.

• Flavor said, on December 24, 2015 at 7:05 pm

I finally found a POTD to replace the skink post. Thanks Twin. I heard it was raining hard in Middletown this morning. I thought of you. …..”the present that isn’t under the tree but in the charity of friends and family.” Such beautiful words. Merry Christmas, Twinner. We woke up today, what a gift that was. See you tomorrow for the next……

• chipower9 said, on December 25, 2015 at 11:35 am

That is awesome Twin. I would trade anything for a day spent with my and Gail’s kids and friends. It is all about family and friends sharing a great meal, drinks, and each others’ love.

We had friends over last night and shared chili and cornbread (xmas eve tradition).

We will have all the kids over today. I am smoking a 21 lb. bird and we will have all the trimmings.

Merry Christmas to you and Merna, Michael. Wishing you both a healthy, happy, and prosperous 2016.

19. alleykat69 said, on December 24, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Merry Flapmas to all!!
    And for all who are traveling, be safe this holiday season and into the NewYear🎉
    And if you want to get drunk as skink, do it at home so you just stagger to bed!!

• Flavor said, on December 24, 2015 at 7:10 pm

‘Kat you old sailor you! I fucking had to take down your skink post because Twin beat you but don’t worry, your glorious genius lives on forever in the POTD-best of which is, in my opinion, the best part of this blog by a country mile…….

20. Paul Sorensen said, on December 24, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Christmas morning in Saigon. Quite warm this morning, of course, but a nice silvery light that we get here in December and January, my favorite time of year in the tropics. *Winter*. Man, compared to all my winters in Boston and NJ….. Merry Christmas, Flappers everywhere..

21. willedav said, on December 25, 2015 at 8:29 am

Kinda ironic that after all the talk about how lucky GS was last year, they are the ones missing a starter today.
    Cavs are tough inside and have Love and Irving back tho #2 was on limited minutes vs. Knicks other night.
    They will need to score more than 91 pts to beat Warriors today.

Growth of Ezeli as viable part of two headed Warriors C position is cool. Cavs and SA (also loaded up front) have a plan in place to beat GS that involves attacking rim and O boards combined with perimeter shooting from Gs. SA might have more depth than anyone, and of course smarter coaching.

I hope Rush can get better with more minutes until Barnes returns (1 hoop couple boards as a starter vs. Utah) to improve bench play. Not having a reliable outside threat (and Barbosa is typical loose cannon type of player) or team speed off bench might ultimately be GS doom and force Kerr to play starters more. Interesting to see how well small LU can continue to play vs. bigger quality teams.

That is a nice POTD. Enjoy Holiday (and every day) best as possible, everyone!

22. twinfan said, on December 25, 2015 at 8:35 am

I don’t recall saying that I didn’t want *anything* under the tree. This peace and love stuff only goes so far… well, Merry Christmas anyway

23. Macdog said, on December 25, 2015 at 10:24 am

Merry Christmas everyone! Giant-land gifts came early with Samarjwhatever & Cueto under the S.F. tree. Last night I watched 50th anniversary special on Charlie Brown Christmas, which included a cameo by MadBum and Buster.

Hey Paul, it’s mid-60s here in Jersey, and yesterday was the first time I finished Xmas shopping in shorts with the windows down, it was that warm. There’s something to be said for this global warming thing.

• willedav said, on December 25, 2015 at 11:18 am

Ran into a gal from Buffalo who visits family out here every winter, and she said they hadn’t seen any snow yet.
      Seems amazing for Buffalo. South Bay to get below freezing, about as cold as it ever gets around here.

Hey props to Monmouth for winning conference game, also to the Hall which has RPI mid-40s. Big East has I think 5 teams in top 25, so if SH can hang in that conference should be able to get in Big Dance. Jersey ball looking good…also Nova and St. Joe’s from Philly.
      I love DeAndre Bembry of Hawks, versatile player with great ‘fro.

• Macdog said, on December 25, 2015 at 11:38 am

And NJIT beat Chris Mullin-coached St. John’s. Then again, so did something called Incarnate Word.

24. chipower9 said, on December 25, 2015 at 11:36 am

Happy Flapmas Flap Universe!

All the best to you and yours!

25. Carstie Clausen said, on December 25, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy Holly Daze to all the Flappers and many thanks to Flavor for keeping this blogsite going and happening. Life in the Cathouse on Echo Ridge is pretty warm and cozy with two wood stoves going and temps outdoors actually up in the 20’s a bit. About 4″ of snow on the ground and colder weather soon to ooze in from westwards. Now it’s wash up a bit, don the outdoor boots n’ stuff and gather in some more firewood and cookstove wood. Daily chores help keep things from getting too stale. Not possible to become a total couchpotato ~ even in the most tempting time of year for such slacktivities.

26. twinfan1 said, on December 25, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Where’s Loo? I want to give him the tracking number for his Hair In A Can,.

27. zumiee said, on December 25, 2015 at 12:25 pm

I started reading Baggarly’s book Giant Splash. It’s not the book I wanted him to write, but it’s still worthwhile. I had hoped he had a book about the 3-in-5 coming out, but this book is an episodic look at the Giants since they moved to the new ballpark in 2000.

28. Flavor said, on December 25, 2015 at 12:44 pm

PK, do me a favor and get to the bottom of this nonsense…. 🙂
    National Geographic ‏@NatGeo 12m12 minutes ago
    Fifty-four percent of Icelanders believe in a possible existence of elves. Do you? http://on.natgeo.com/22rYJBT

29. Flavor said, on December 25, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Merry Christmas, ya’ll. Woke up to a dead battery so we are a little behind schedule but headed out for Idaho now. Catch ya on the flip side.

30. snarkk said, on December 25, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Merry Christmas, Flappers…

31. snarkk said, on December 25, 2015 at 2:36 pm

willied, no I do not remember Icelandic men being taller than average, but they may be. I was paying more attention to the women. I’ve been in all the Scandinavian countries on one time or another, seemed to me the men and women in all of them are larger, taller than “average”, with the Norwegian dudes particularly tall in my memory, very lean and yes, Viking looking. So, stands to reason the Icelandic guys are probably pretty tall, just I don’t remember it. There’s probably a reason why the Norwegians win all the x-country skiing medals, they are big dudes with long legs and strides. There are only about 350K people in total in Iceland, and lots of Viking blood, so I’m guessing the guys are fairly tall, I certainly don’t remember them as short. Mrs. snarkk, as she still agrees, was/is particularly enamored with the Norwegian dudes when we visited there – tall and long, raw boned, naturally handsome somewhat thin/angular faces, lotsa cheekbones and strong bodies. That Viking thing may have something to it for the ladies…

32. zumiee said, on December 25, 2015 at 4:27 pm

The Warriors are hanging tough in a very physical game.

33. pawliekokonuts said, on December 25, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Happy Christmas, before this day ends. Mom, 99, and I went to my ‘estranged’ wife’s for dinner yesterday and today. All good. A bit taxing seeing my mom’s dissolution and disorientation, though we are all headed in only one direction. I second and ‘amen’ Twinfan’s salute to the proper spirit of the day.

• Paul Sorensen said, on December 25, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Yo, Pawlie, and to you, I pass on a greeting I received from my sweet Filipina masseuse and friend yesterday: “Merry Everything and a Happy Always” …

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 25, 2015 at 8:27 pm

I have cards that say that!

• Paul Sorensen said, on December 25, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Excellent… 🙂

• snarkk said, on December 25, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy Endings to all…

• Paul Sorensen said, on December 25, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Also excellent.. 🙂

34. djloo27 said, on December 25, 2015 at 10:04 pm

35. zumiee said, on December 26, 2015 at 4:28 am

The MLB Network is running World Series highlight films from 2008-2015 today.

36. willedav said, on December 26, 2015 at 7:21 am

Didn’t see any of game before end of 3rd Q, but rousing finish by Curry and his band of merry men.
    Esp Livingston playing role in small LU, Iguodala and Green meeting LBJ face up at the rim.
    As drummer Art Blakey put it, “…as the message is being delivered…”