Keeping the Line Moving

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 26, 2015

Little going on in baseball world unless you consider the Glass Sanchez retirement papers big news.

Pawlie heading to Iceland soon to find out once and for all how many people there believe in elves.

I got nuthin’ but we needed a new thread…..

1. willedav said, on December 26, 2015 at 8:41 am

Didn’t get to hear much of Jackson (thankfully) doing the game but he is right about the Hack A Shaq rule—that’s gotta go. It’s not basketball, it’s bs. Make the penalty 2 shots and possession.
    Ultimately I think what Tolbert said right before game started is true–it would be fun game to play in vs. tough opponent, but in bigger picture just another December match up less than half way through long season.

Lotta OFs still out there if SF wants one. To me the biggest issue is getting one to play CF to provide depth beside Blanco. I’d make same argument I made last year re: Aoki—if you already have Blanco (who had fine season and even did OK at leadoff) then object is to go get someone better as FA or trade.
    I’m willing to give the kids a good look. Parker has some pop and Williamson might be a good contact better OB hitter.

Be careful about over valuing park factors for likes of Fowler and Parra. Both are good players (I like Parra a lot better) but likely will not hit at ATT the way they did for Cubs and Brewers.

• zumiee said, on December 26, 2015 at 10:55 am

Not a good look for the NBA to have Delly jumping on people’s backs to get intentional fouls.

• zumiee said, on December 26, 2015 at 11:00 am

Aoki had a .353 OBP, and was having a nice season before the two hit-by-pitches. For a few months he and Panik were creating a strong top-of-the order. Injuries killed the Giants last season.

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2015 at 7:06 am

Aoki was OK, and yes, he had his streaks, but I would prefer someone with a better glove as starter.

2. zumiee said, on December 26, 2015 at 10:53 am

2012 World Series film about ready to start on the MLB Network.

3. zumiee said, on December 26, 2015 at 11:02 am

The MLB Network is a nightmare for Dodger fans today. šŸ™‚

4. pawliekokonuts said, on December 26, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Magnus, I just emailed my apartment host, asking Helga if she believes in elves. I made it kind of humorous. But what if it’s a fecking serious subject there?! I hope it’s a good conversational opener in a coffee shop. If I am lucky…..

5. pawliekokonuts said, on December 26, 2015 at 12:22 pm

In that book “1954” (read by zumiee and a few others; BTW, zumiee reigns supreme here as most well read, erudite, scholarly), much is made of injuries suffered by Al rosen and bobby Avila. Dude. THESE GUYS PLAYED HURT. Rosen sustained a finger injury that gnarled his hand for life. They’d take a week off and go back to playing. Granted, in Rosen’s case, he was never as good again. But get this: he wanted to play in the ASG and told Casey Stengel take me out if I hurt our chanves. Ted Williams (The Thumper) told Rosen to choke up and Rosen had key hits. Players in those days were fecking warriors, and part of it was pride, the other was, they needed to keep a job.

• zumiee said, on December 26, 2015 at 1:30 pm

And the World Series paycheck was very important extra income to the players in those days.

Thanks for the kind words, Pawlie. Have a great time on your Icelandic journey!

6. zumiee said, on December 26, 2015 at 1:37 pm

I’m diggin’ the new Baggarly book. I didn’t really want to rehash the Bonds years, but Baggs presents it in an insightful way, hitting just the right tone. Plus much more in the book.

7. pawliekokonuts said, on December 26, 2015 at 6:02 pm

…and y’all just KNOW I’ll find a Giants fan in Reykjavik, Keflavik, or the hinterlands.

• Flavor said, on December 26, 2015 at 6:59 pm

hey, it won’t surprise me if you find some damn elves in a cave wearing giants shwag….

• djloo27 said, on December 26, 2015 at 8:03 pm

My guess is this one is the biggest seller over there:

• Paul Sorensen said, on December 26, 2015 at 8:36 pm

lulz!

• Paul Sorensen said, on December 26, 2015 at 8:37 pm

And I still don’t even know what *lulz* means…..

• djloo27 said, on December 26, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Me either. I think it came from DirtRocksinReno…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 27, 2015 at 8:46 am

Beginning as a plural variant of lol, Lulz was originally an exclamation but is now often used as a noun meaning interesting or funny internet content.
        Lol -> lul; lols -> luls; lolz -> lulz.

• Flavor said, on December 27, 2015 at 7:59 am

I’m starting to think everyone in that country is clinically insane. Hot as fuck, but insane to the core.

• snarkk said, on December 27, 2015 at 12:39 pm

When you live in a place that essentially looks like Mars, maybe you need a compensation mechanism from time to time. They tend to drink a bit, too…

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 27, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Well now. That is a revealing article. Thanks, snarkk.

• snarkk said, on December 27, 2015 at 1:36 pm

We live in a country where dudes give glory and thanks to Jesus for catching a TD pass or recovering the other team’s fumble, thank God for saving their lives but don’t mention that if that’s the case then God just sent a killer tornado that destroyed their town and killed their neighbors, and believe God sent AIDS to punish gay people. To me, those beliefs are crazier and more destructive than thinking elves and trolls are rolling around out there playing tricks on people…

8. willedav said, on December 27, 2015 at 7:20 am

Quick rundown of Blanco (another guy hurt last year) numbers from last year:
    OB of .360, OPS .780 in 300 ABs
    20 less PAs than Aoki he had 7 more doubles 10 more BBs.
    Batting leadoff, OB was .420 OPS .900 in 100+ PAs.

Full time starter, questionable but sure had nice (limited) season at the plate. Capable back up behind Pagan, definitely, esp considering how poorly Pagan did vs. RHP last year.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 27, 2015 at 9:08 am

Blanco has basically been a full time starter for 3-4 years now and has been good. Not excellent or great but good. I’d be fine with him manning CF full time. Maybe Bochy convinces Pagan that it’s time to move to LF. Okay, probably not but he’s not helping the team in center.

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2015 at 7:40 am

RIP Meadowlark Lemon…one of my favorite Globetrotters as a kid,,,he was 83.

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2015 at 7:58 am

There is another split that I shared a while back comparing Blanco to Parra, where the split is as a starter vs. sub…

Here are Blanco’s splits as a starter vs. sub…

2014:

Starter:
      .252, .327, .371, .698
      Sub:
      .313, .377, .396, .773

Career:

Starter:
      .261, .347, .349, .696
      Sub:
      .277, .350, .403, .753

I have nothing against Blanco…he has been a great part of the team. But if they are going to go out and get an OFer (and I still think they will), I prefer one better than Blanco, and having the Shark as a 4th.

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 27, 2015 at 8:48 am

Happy holidays, fellas.

10. Flavor said, on December 27, 2015 at 9:09 am

Dave Hendu Henderson passed away at 57. Did not remember he was a Giant for a brief period in ’87. Impossible not to like that guy when he was playing, no matter who he played for….

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2015 at 7:59 am

Wow…missed that. I do recall his brief stay as a Giant, but more his days with the fucking A’s…

11. alleykat69 said, on December 27, 2015 at 11:25 am

Sad to hear about Dave ” Hendu” Henderson passing. Will always remember him as an Athelitc manning” Hendu Land”

But I will never forget when he played for Boston and hit that dramatic 2 outs 2 strike last inning HR off of Donnie Moore( deceased, who many said never got over that and took his own life.)that kept that playoff series alive, which Boston came back to win down 3-1.
    RIP Hendu,Baseball lost a great man today..

12. chipower9 said, on December 27, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Awesome thread (because it is new).

Sitting here watching the 2014 World Series video. With things being, as Craig mentioned, sloooow…it is cool to relive the memories. I especially like the little things that you seem to forget, such as Pence’s hit off of big game james (Pence had been 0-11 lifetime against james at that point). Runner on, Pence works the count full, and then launches one over the CF wall. Damned near as good as it was in 2014!

But that itch I had for some baseball, just got a lot itchier…

Only 54 days until pitchers and catchers report. Hope your xmas holiday was good, Flap Universe…

Oh, and already anticipating Pawlie’s Icelandic updates and photos (and the subsequent book???).

• zumiee said, on December 27, 2015 at 7:03 pm

I got my bask on big-time this weekend. The MLB Network had Giants World Series highlights on yesterday, and I finished reading Baggs’ new book today. His book has a LOT of the 3-in-5 in it. Yeah, being reminded of the great moments is so cool.
      And, you’re right, Chi, the itch gets stronger!

13. zumiee said, on December 27, 2015 at 7:07 pm

The Curry parents are at the Kings game tonight to see Seth play in his limited role. That’s very cool.

14. zumiee said, on December 27, 2015 at 7:58 pm

The life of the NBA player….
    after their grueling close loss to the Warriors on Christmas day, the Cavaliers had a game the next night in Portland, and the Trailblazers blew them out. Then the next night, the Trailblazers had to go to Sacramento, and they’re locked in a tight battle with the Kings tonight.

• willedav said, on December 27, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Cavs vs. the Knicks shot under 40% and were I think 5 or 6 for 22 in 3 pt shots. Vs Portland 11-31…imo not enough perimeter scoring to beat Golden State. LBJ’s 3 late game was an airball.
      They only scored 83 vs. Warriors and shot horribly following night vs. Portland and got blown out. LeBron and Love only had 4 hoops in limited minutes as they got down by 20 early and never recovered. Irving sat out and Smith started and made 1 basket all night.

Still think SA in the West is a better rounded team, and will give GS a better fight.

• willedav said, on December 27, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Kings have their own back to back and turn around and come to the O tmw to face Warriors.

15. Macdog said, on December 27, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Came across this story in USA Today and was a little surprised the Giants weren’t one of the six. Oh well. But then, teams like the Cubs always seem to win the offseason.

16. mrsprtdude said, on December 27, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Merry Xmas all. Sad to read of Hendu passing. I always enjoy watching a guy play sports that seems like he enjoys playing.

17. blade3colorado said, on December 28, 2015 at 6:27 am

I thought Belichick was smart. Belichick = idiot.

• Flavor said, on December 28, 2015 at 7:47 am

Of course this is just my opinion, but I suspect he’s covering for his player. If not, I agree, that was a total brain fuck up on his part.