Happy New Year

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 1, 2016

Five decent games today. How about a prediction for each.

Tenn -10 vs N-Western. I’m taking NW and the points here since I watched them beat the Cardinal in the first game of the season and they looked great. That was a long time ago and NW is pretty much one-trickish with their running game, but 10 points is a lot.

Michigan -4 vs Florida. I’m taking Florida. I’ve seen Jim Harbaugh win too many games by a field goal. Gimmie the 4.

ND +6 vs Ohio State. I hate both these teams. I’m predicting that on the kickoff each player crashes into each other like coconuts falling from a tree, everyone is injured and they have to cancel the game. AND both programs are disbanded forever. Hey, I can dream.

Cardinal -6 vs Iowa. I’m taking the Cardinal here and as stupid as it is to lay 6 points with another coach who loves to win by a field goal, I am doing it. Although there is no outcome that would really surprise me. I wanna see Shaw do something dynamic with Love and Rector or even underutilized Barry Sanders and make this game interesting. Please don’t run the ball 500 times in a row….

Mississippi -9.5 vs Oklahoma State. Kelly accounts for 5 td’s and Ole Miss rolls…..

1. blade3colorado said, on January 1, 2016 at 8:39 am

As Zumiee reported last night (which by the by, ESPN DID NOT report until this morning*) The Los Angeles Dodgers have agreed to terms on a deal with Japanese pitcher Kenta Maeda. Per info I have read, under the posting system, MLB teams could earn the right to negotiate with Maeda for 30 days by agreeing to pay Hiroshima a maximum fee of $20 million. The fee is in addition to whatever salary the Dodgers might pay Maeda. Shit, this could cost the Bums $30 million minimally this year and perhaps, 3-4 times that amount with a long term contract. Loving how those assholes spend money like this guy . . .

*Zumiee should be hired by ESPN to turn that organization around. 🙂

• zumiee said, on January 1, 2016 at 9:46 am

Aw, shucks….. 🙂

2. wilcojoe said, on January 1, 2016 at 8:59 am

I pretty much agree with all of your predictions. I do think Hurd has a big day and the Vols could roll over Northwestern. TN is loaded with young talent and they may be a year or two away from playoff contention. I think Ole Miss steamrolls Okie State to make the Big 12 look even more pathetic than it already is.

I really wish my Horns would have jumped to the Pac 10 when they had a chance. Of course we made our own bed when we created our own network (see Blade’s excellent discussion on the mess that is ESPN) and now we are forced to sleep in it.

3. zumiee said, on January 1, 2016 at 9:58 am

It’s been a strange coaching career for Harbaugh: so much success and so many big-game disappointments, usually with weird endings and lousy clock-management. I predict his team lays an egg today. His move back to the NCAA still seems weak to me.

4. zumiee said, on January 1, 2016 at 10:03 am

The BattleFrog Fiesta Bowl? BattleFrog?

5. zumiee said, on January 1, 2016 at 10:26 am

I thought I would have no rooting interest in Ohio St./Notre Dame, but I forgot how easy it is to root against Notre Dame.

6. unca_chuck said, on January 1, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Yup, being Irish Catholic, it’s very easy to root against them.

7. zumiee said, on January 1, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Well, it looks like no egg-laying for Michigan today. Harbaugh is going to win the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl.

• unca_chuck said, on January 1, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Another example of a good team that was badly coached. We’ll see in 3 years when his recruits are rolling in if he’s burned his bridges within the org. . I’m sure he’ll be fine, but well see.

8. unca_chuck said, on January 1, 2016 at 12:40 pm

And just what is a battlefrog?

• zumiee said, on January 1, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Good question.

9. wilcojoe said, on January 1, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I know there is a lot of contempt for Harbaugh here, but what this guy has done at every stop is remarkable. Just a couple of years ago Michigan was on the verge of major irrelevancy. It was a mess. You guys know the 49er situation better than me, but I don’t see how losing him was a positive for the organization. It seems like the issues in the front office had more to do with the teams recent downfall. I can live with the conservative play calling and poor time management if that is his greatest weakness. Hell, if he has a stud OC and he can get out of his way, that would be a non-issue.

I would want the guy as my teams head coach, NFL or College. I can’t think of another coach I would want at either level.

• zumiee said, on January 1, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Good points.

• zumiee said, on January 1, 2016 at 12:55 pm

He wins that Super Bowl, he’s a 49er legend.

• djloo27 said, on January 1, 2016 at 1:26 pm

The blackout killed them…

10. alleykat69 said, on January 1, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Maybe the 49ers could change their name to the Santa Clara BattleFrogs?
    They play with as much passion as a toad anyway under Sweatmola and his coaching staff of snails🐌🐌

11. snarkk said, on January 1, 2016 at 2:15 pm

The idiocy of the 4-team NCAA champ set up is seen in both blowouts. If these are the top 4 teams, neither game should be a laugher. 38-0 with Bama clobbering Mich St? Clearly need at least an 8-team playoff…

12. zumiee said, on January 1, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Didn’t take Stanford long.

13. giants54 said, on January 1, 2016 at 2:52 pm

McCaffrey is exciting. Hard to believe Iowa is 12-1and almost beat MSU.

I don’t know if there are any other teams worthy of a playoff this year. Ohio State also only had one loss, but it was to MSU.

14. zumiee said, on January 1, 2016 at 2:56 pm

The Iowa team is all “When does the game start?”

15. wilcojoe said, on January 1, 2016 at 3:01 pm

What a performance!

16. ewisco said, on January 1, 2016 at 3:05 pm

how many think CM translates to sunday? i don’t think at RB. maybe just punt/kick returner? slot receiver?

• Macdog said, on January 1, 2016 at 3:09 pm

The ‘ol man was a pretty good NFL player, although Dan Reeves didn’t seem to think so.

• ewisco said, on January 1, 2016 at 4:04 pm

i think easy ed was a little taller, better suited to receiver.

17. wilcojoe said, on January 1, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Hogan’s fake fumble TD pass to Rector was pretty slick.

18. Flavor said, on January 1, 2016 at 5:28 pm

that 2nd Rector td got me to 167 points, 3rd place in the Hail Mary. And he’s prominent in my DK teams so this was a very good day of college football. 🙂

• wilcojoe said, on January 1, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Nice! Who do you have left? I am in pretty good shape in a few $2 Fri tourneys that end tonight. I need Kelly to have a big night and spead the ball a bit and I might just recover my KOC entry fee.

19. willedav said, on January 1, 2016 at 5:42 pm

I think Harbs is just better suited for college ball, where being simple and direct in offensive strategy can still work. I also think he is more inspirational with that age group. Plus, after few years they are leaving.and then he can go recruit, something else I think he’ll be able to do pretty well at U of M.

On other hand, just watching him on sidelines and elsewhere with Niners, he does not seem like easy guy to get along with, something that doesn’t have anything to do with being a winning coach.

• wilcojoe said, on January 1, 2016 at 5:50 pm

That makes sense. I would agree with that.

• ewisco said, on January 1, 2016 at 6:01 pm

nothing makes me more crazy than a coach that demands discipline from his people but can’t control himself. that gets old in a hurry. which is why, as you say, college may suit him better because of the turnover. i just hope he’s lost the “who’s got it better than us” bit. old, old, old.

20. willedav said, on January 1, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Other thing about college would be Harbs relationship with the media.
    College level he has a lot more control, something very dear to him I believe. He gets his message out there and doesn’t have to take any shit.
    Right now at least I think the anti-Harbs fans would get shouted down.
    With Niners you were either his friend or an enema.

When things went south and Kaep Crabtree and others were being “badgered” (Harbs word) daily by reporters he went into Belichik mode and didn’t want to talk to anybody.

21. unca_chuck said, on January 1, 2016 at 6:37 pm

The flip side of Harbaugh is he wears out his welcome at every stop. Or so it seems. Michigan is like the Niners were . A team with talent that was being coached not too well.

I’m beginning to understand Harbaugh’s problem with Baalke as his last couple drafts have been terrible and this seems to be a big part of the reason of the front office problems.

That being said I think Harbaugh saw his way to get the Michigan job while stirring the shit on his way out of here.

He certainly knew that there was a talent drain going on, this was a lost season, and he’d been banished from making personnel decisions. The time was right for him and he left.

• ewisco said, on January 1, 2016 at 8:31 pm

the weird thing is that there was apparently a real club house divide with some in the old locker room and some in the new. as a leader, you really can’t have that so what was he thinking there? i’m gone so it doesn’t matter? he’s an odd duck and no one really knows except the guys who were in the locker rooms.

22. zumiee said, on January 1, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Claude Terry was on the Stanford sideline for today’s game; he posted a photo on Facebook. Claude played basketball for Stanford in the ’60s, and then played eventually in the NBA. He may have been in the ABA at some point, also.
    I went to the same high school he did, about a decade or so later.
    I played in an alumni game with him in the late 70s. Very cool experience.
    A few years later Claude was the head coach at Cal. St. Univ. Stanislaus when I was trying out for the team. I was part of the team for a few weeks at the start of practices until I got cut from the squad. Claude told me I wasn’t athletic enough to make the team. Not a huge surprise to me. My time as a junior college end-of-the-bench player clued me into that reality. 🙂
    I’ve seen him a few times over the years. I appreciate that he did remember me. Great dude.

23. willedav said, on January 2, 2016 at 7:21 am

Wow Zum, Claude Terry was a super player, big time scorer.
    I’ve known kids who lit up HS in similar situation . JC ball is different animal all together, and lot of players looking to “get theirs” to be noticed by next level school. Coaches a lot more demanding too.
    One of things I heard often was different level of athleticism and body types.

Surprising W for Stanford men b-ball last night. Cards ranked 11th out of 12 in league coach’s poll and took down 21st ranked Utah in OT 70-68. Down 12 in second half, switched to match up zone, got 17 points off bench from frosh player who attacked rim and 13 more from C who battled Utes all American Poeltl to standstill.
    Plus couple monster dunks off the dribble from R Allen, who also hit a couple 3s.
    Utes self destructed by missing 6 FTs in a row and committing multiple turnovers without getting up shots at crunch time. With a bad L like this, they will have to do something big (like beat Cal in Berkeley Sunday) to get back into rankings.

24. unca_chuck said, on January 2, 2016 at 9:53 am

Yeah, I liked McCaffery his one year with the Niners but with Rice and Taylor in front of him, not to mention Brent Jones and Rickey Watters catching balls, he didn’t get too much action.