Watching Your Team Go Down The Drain (Pipe)

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 4, 2016

I want you to imagine something with me. What if the Giants had a mediocre year and the owner fired the manager. Except he didn’t fire him, he told everyone that “there was a mutual parting of the ways.” Baer replaces Bochy with Darrell Evans. He tells everyone not to worry about Howdy Doody not having managerial experience because Steve Kerr didn’t have any and he won an NBA championship in his first year.

EVERYONE is skeptical of this move—the fans, the media, the internet. EVERYONE. Baer tells us all to R-E-L-A-X because his standard is World Series or bust and that the history of the Giants franchise says to trust in the process.

The following year, the team is awful. Close to the worst team in the league. An hour after the final game of the season, because he’s too much of a pussy to *be accountable* in person, the owner sends out a press release saying that Howdy Doody has been fired. Neither Jed nor Baalke were at the game yesterday, by the way……

Bochy, watching all of this from an ivory tower somewhere, sends out this cryptic tweet:

Do not be deceived. You will reap what you sow.”
___________________
Could you even dream of something this bizarre happening to a rock solid stable organization like the Giants?
Like everyone else, I’ve been trying to crack the code on weirdo Harbaugh’s text. He is a maniacal bastard, isn’t he? Part of me really misses the dude, he kept things interesting at the very least.
At first, I thought this was a shot at Tomsula who absolutely worked in the weeds to position himself for this job. But then I decided this is directed to Jed. And if I were Jed, I would fear Harbaugh’s wrath.
Remember where they found Muammar Gadaffi? Hiding in a pipe hole. Like a damn rat.
That pipe hole is comin’ for ya, Jed….

1. sfsarge said, on January 4, 2016 at 6:33 am

The idiot had no plan. Blew up a championship caliber organization over a personal beef with a coach. The 49ers will suck until Jed is gone. And that clown is going nowhere any time soon. As long as he is in charge, i will not spend another dime on anything 49ers. They’re dead to me.

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:59 am

I agree with you 1000% sarge. Fuck the Yorks and the horses they rode in on. This franchise needs a total cleansing and it must start with ownership.

The ONLY alternative I would possibly buy-into is if Jed hired a brilliant GM and head coach, and Jed got the fuck out of the way and let them do their jobs, and signed the checks.

My fear is that Baalke will be back next year. Fuck that…

• sfsarge said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:46 am

I could see that. If he brought in a Holmgren type and stayed in Ohio, then maybe.

2. eddacker said, on January 4, 2016 at 6:34 am

If you own a team that is not doing well you fire the coach and/or quarterback. They are the two most important on-field pieces – the problem must lie there.
    And you do not consider a plan B then, now or ever. That is what underlings are for.
    It is called management.
    And having explained that I am sure we all now understand the York way.
    Aim for the top – if it is a flop? – “Off with their heads.” Quote -The Jeds

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:01 am

There is one other very important component. A GM who knows how to draft talent. Baalke is NOT that guy. He needs to go!

3. zumiee said, on January 4, 2016 at 7:20 am

If they’re going to fire the guy after one season, then obviously they don’t believe in him. Why hire him in the first place?

• Flavor said, on January 4, 2016 at 7:54 am

thier own hubris met their over arching incompetence

• Lurker John said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:42 am

Bingo.

4. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2016 at 7:56 am

Harbaugh is a good coach and a great motivator but he always pisses off his bosses. I’m.curious to see what happens in Michigan in 4 years.

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:03 am

Michigan will have good years, IMO. Harbaugh, while not being easy to get along with was, IMO, a damned good coach. Baalke should have been shown the fucking door before Harbaugh.

• Lurker John said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:44 am

I think Michigan will once again become a national power under his watch. He’s ideally suited for the college game with its rapid player turnover. He’s already has one great season under his belt and Michigan always has solid recruiting classes. My guess, though, is that at some point he’ll want to return to the NFL.

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Not sure about him wanting to return to the NFL and dealing with the manical egos of NFL players…not to mention GMs and team owners. He has one of the best gigs in the country right now, paying him what he could expect from an NFL team. I may be wrong, but I think he will be at Michigan for a very loooong time.

• Lurker John said, on January 4, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Wouldn’t surprise me, chi.

5. blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2016 at 7:57 am

Jim Harbaugh did a great job at Stanford, San Francisco, and now, Michigan. This ownership and front office has run a storied franchise into the ground. Think Cleveland. Think Yahoo. Think HP. Think Bush Presidency. Yep, that’s the level we’re at . . . maybe even lower. Ugh.

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:05 am

Agree. Harbaugh was NOT the issue. As I mentioned on Chuck’s post above, Baalke should have been kicked to the curb before Harbaugh. I wish like hell Harbaugh was still the coach and the team had a different GM.

AND that Jed kept his nose out of the football business and just signed the fucking checks. Petulant little fuck. I cannot stand him and hope for the day (hopefully VERY SOON) when the dorks sell the team. Sigh…I am NOT holding my breath.

As sarge said earlier, the Niners will not get another dime from me until we have new ownership. Fuck the Yorks…

6. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:00 am

Harbs had a. Very talented team that didn’t quite make it. In 4 years., Not 1. Due in. No small part to Harbaugh a suppose offensive genius, leaning on his defense. I still find it inexcusable that we lost to the fucking Ravens. But water under the bridge. Harbs certainly knew the time was right to get out and to stir the shit on his way. And be that as it may, Baalke is the one that has failed to retain and replenish the talent level on this team. Yet I hear very little from the fan base regarding his dismissal. Jimmy bag-of-donuts is talking the fall, but Baalke should be next.

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:08 am

Baalke is an incompetent ass when it comes to drafting good football talent. His sorry ass should have been shit-canned years ago…

7. Flavor said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:19 am

my thread wasn’t about wishing Harbaugh was still the coach. That ship sailed and it was more than time for it to sail. What pisses me off is how they handled the post-Harbaugh era. Will definitely carve out some time at work today to listen to Jed’s bullshit at 10:30 on KNBR……..

8. willedav said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:23 am

Every time I read about retirements and guys allowed to leave I wonder if this had something to do with Harbs, that those involved didn’t want to be around Jed any more.
    Crabtree and Gore can still play, Iupati too. Would Willis have stuck around to play with Bowman?

I don’t think this season has exactly made the job of HC (or co-ordinators) look any better either.
    Sure there are supposed “name”guys looking for a job, but given what there is to work with and more importantly who they are working for, um…

9. willedav said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:35 am

Watched cal mens b-ball take out Utes at home. They look great, with strong inside play, 3 pt shooting and senior G in control, and some help off the bench at all positions. See what happens on road but Cal is off to great start.

Also saw highlights of AZ-ASU league opener, where B Hurley got tossed in dramatic fashion and was still yelling and carrying on in the hallway to the locker room. Kinda reminded me of a McEnroe type meltdown.

Gotta wonder what he was trying to accomplish there or who he was sending message to.

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:36 am

I don’t know. I think Bochy would come up with a better blast on the Twitter.

• Flavor said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:39 am

while I’ve been nearly mesmorized by Harb’s tweet I think it was totally uncalled for. A bunch of hard working, good people losing their jobs isn’t something to gloat over.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:50 am

Dude is POS in my book. Just saying that Bochy would come up with something better. Great post though. I can’t even imagine this going down in the Giants front office. I guess there are some that have their gripes with Johnson but from where I’m sitting the guy has put baseball people in place and stays out of the way.

• xoot said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:32 am

Even after Neukom got the ax as lead owner, he continued to work for the team. Couple years back, he was in charge of the presentation the Giants made to the mlb owners, making the Gs’ case for San Jose territorial rights. I don’t know who made the presentation for the a’s. You can be sure it wasn’t Lew Wolff. The result, it seems apparent, was mlb owners’ support for the Giants (maybe until the a’s come around to a more reasonable position, who knows). Anyway, the Giants organization is a high-performance engine running beautifully. The Warriors now emulate them nicely. By comparison, the Raiders, the a’s and the 9ers look ridiculous.

11. chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:55 am

Happy New Year all you Flappin’ MoFos. Hope 2016 is a wonderful year for you all!

And in baseball news today…

Only 46 days until pitchers and catchers report for YOUR San Francisco Giants.

FOUR in SEVEN…

Even Year…

12. chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:13 am

I was out running errands yesterday and listening to the pre-game on KNBR. I cannot recall who made the point, but it was a run-down of Baalke’s drafts over the last five years (1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks). It was fucking abysmal….his ass should have been fired a few years ago. Certainly before Harbs was shown the door.

The Niners need a new GM who knows his ass from a hole in the ground as it applies to drafting football talent, and offensive-minded HC who can work with that GM, and put that talent to use.

Not holding my breath on the Niner franchise turning around any time soon…so damned sad.

13. Carstie Clausen said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:49 am

All you 49ers fans crying in your beers. Sometimes an organization goes on the rocks. Last night i listened to what probably was the most exciting football game in my memory. It went down to the last five seconds, but the Minnesota Vikings finally won the NFC North again by besting the Green Bay Packers 20-13 in an incredibly dramatic, no-holds barred “Black and Blue” Division contest. Seems like the Vikes finally got them a good coach in Zimmer and a somewhat capable sophomore QB in Teddy Bridgewater. Their defense has become little short of awesome.

Next Sunday, in Minneapolis, it is the 11-5 purple vs the 10-6 Seahawks, who did totally embarrass the banged up Vikes earlier in the season. If the 3 key players injured vs the Pack return in a week, the hometeam could give a decent accounting.

• Macdog said, on January 4, 2016 at 11:14 am

I think Sunday’s game will be the Vikings’ first outdoor playoff game since the ’76 NFC Championship Game vs. the Rams. It’s been kinda cool seeing the Vikes play outdoor home games the last couple years, but alas, it’ll be back inside a dome next season.

• Macdog said, on January 4, 2016 at 11:15 am

That should be first outdoor home playoff game.

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Yes, almost all teams hit the rocks at some point, but it did not have to shake out like this for the Niners. Their incompetent owner is just too addicted to getting his pole smoked by little Jed to make the decision that should have been made years ago…firing Baalke’s incompetent ass.

Hard to say with certainty what may have transpired, but I think if they had kept Harbaugh and hired a good GM with whom he could work, the Niners would be in much better shape than they are now.

14. gianthead said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:51 am

The best way to right this Niner ship is to get rid of all of the Yorks…but that does not seem like it will happen unless there is a major fan insurrection and people stop buying season tickets…

It must have been fat and happy situation last year for me after 3X5 and getting the Warriors run that I was not too concerned with the Gigantes. But after this football season and Warriors in cruise control mode, I am jumping at the bit for baseball!!!

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 12:13 pm

I already know two friends who have given-up on their season tix, and received a letter threatening a lawsuit. One of my friends said “bring it on…you are not getting another cent from me.” If you have seen the last several home games there are a LOT of open seats.

15. gianthead said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:55 am

I would take a Holmgren as president of football operations with someone like Sean Payton purely as coach…if they hire Chip Kelly I am burning my Crabtree jersey…that is the only gear I own…

16. Bozo said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:20 am

I don’t feel sorry for Tomsula, he is probably very happy to get out of that mess. A mess, he also had a hand in creating (IMO).

Going forward, I would suspect anyone who wants the position without a new GM in place.

• giants54 said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:43 am

Shemp will get remaining 10m left. My heart bleeds for him 😉

17. Lurker John said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:21 am

Kawakami has a pretty good take on the 49er’s debacle:

18. Lurker John said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:25 am

Of the names I’ve heard bandied about so far, Peyton is the best candidate IMO, a pure coach who clearly knows how to run a football team and has the resume to back it up. He’s smart and focused.

Kelly? Jesus, that experiment just blew up in Philly and I have no confidence in his ability to put an NFL franchise over the top. NFL coaches are masters at adapting and adjusting. You may get away with the trick shtick for a while, but they will catch up to you. That’s exactly what happened with the Eagles.

• Flavor said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:28 am

agree. 100% NO to Kelly.

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Agree. NFL defensive coordinators exposed his gig very quickly. He would be best served going back to college ball, but my suspicion is that he makes a play for a HC job in Tennessee and a reunion with Mariota.

19. Bozo said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:27 am

BTW, I seem to recall the Giants ushering Dusty out after he took the team to the WS and they also leaked stuff about his IRS problems. Not very classy in my opinion. I don’t think the Giants became a class organization until Bowtie took over. At that point ownership seemed to step back a bit so the Baseball people could do what they do.

• xoot said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:35 am

Good point. I think things got a bit ragged under Magowan at the end of the Bonds era. Draft picks were good, though. 😉

• Lurker John said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:43 am

Dusty also contributed to his own demise with his attitude, caustic, defensive comments and critical mistakes in that World Series. Blowing the 5 run lead in game 6 is something I still haven’t gotten over. But I agree, Bozo, going about canning him in an underhanded way was beneath the franchise. It’s amazing how well-regarded the organization is now, especially coming from the early to mid-70’s when I really became a fan. Constant rumors of the team being sold and moved were quite stressful.

• zumiee said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:51 am

The fans got over Dusty pretty quickly. In 2003, the Giants started out something like 15-1, and Felipe was quickly the toast of the town. They made the playoffs, but fizzled against the Marlins, unfortunately.

• wilcojoe said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:52 am

I agree Clown. I remember when Bow Tie first came into the fold and I didn’t like the guy for some reason. He didn’t come across as a true baseball guy, what with the Microsoft legal background and the stodgy look. I couldn’t have been more wrong about someone. I agree that he somehow set the tone for ownership to step back and do what they do best, support the front office and get the hell out of the way.

When I got my picture with him in 2011 in Houston, weeks before he would step down, I was impressed by his down to earth presence. Gone was the bow tie and instead he was wearing a Tommy Bahama type button down. He sat by himself that entire game in the field box seats about five rows behind the Giants dugout. He wasn’t sitting in the Diamond box seats behind home where Bush Senior and the numerous other dignitaries normally reside in plain view of the camera. Instead he sat in the $50 seats with the rest of the common folk. I think I told the story of how he came back from the restroom and someone in an Astros hat had taken his seat. Instead of making a big fuss, he gave up his aisle seat and instead took a middle seat a few chairs in. That left such an indelible impression on me.

• Bozo said, on January 4, 2016 at 11:50 am

I wasn’t a fan of his at first either, and when I read about his “Giants Way” handbook. I made jokes about it. I couldn’t have been more wrong about the guy or the “Giants Way”.

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 12:27 pm

I had the pleasure to meet Bow Tie Billy outside the state capital before the trophy showing in 2010 (see picture in the Flap photo bucket). He was rocking the bow tie and his shit kickers, but was really down to earth and easy to talk to. Certainly changed my impression of him.

20. giants54 said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:30 am

The thing I wonder with with Payton is burnout. I’m not sure he’s still got the fire, energy and commitment for a rebuild. Maybe he’s another lifer like bellicheat.
    But I d be surprised if he wants to work with Baalke York.

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Bellicheat…that’s good. But I would take him as a HC in a second.

21. Lurker John said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:36 am

Bringing back Baalke is just a mind-boggling move if that’s what York ends up doing. He’s done in S.F. and has demonstrated zero draft aptitude over the past several years. He especially stinks at picking offensive talent, which is the Niner’s biggest bugaboo.

Defensively, the team actually seems to be rounding out, with several guys looking like they’re figuring it out (Ward, Hodges, Ian Williams, Armstead). They’re still thin in the defensive secondary, but guys like Acker, Johnson and Tartt may well end up figuring it out as well. Not many guys just step into the NFL and start tearing it up. If those guys do start to step up, I’ll have to back off some of my criticisms of Baalke, but that certainly doesn’t excuse him. He’s toxic and needs to go.

22. zumiee said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:49 am

It’s harsh, but the Niners are at basically the same spot the Sac Kings are at right now. Bad drafts. Clueless GM and headcoach. A mixed bag of talent level on the team roster. A brand-new facility to play in, but not a good product to put in front of the frustrated fans.
    Which organization will turn it around quicker? Tough call. Maybe neither.

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I think it easier to turn-around a NBA team quicker. With only 12 on the roster, if you add a couple of high draft picks that pan out, you can go from has-been to the playoffs quite quickly. The NFL rebuild process is more involved, IMO.

23. giants54 said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:51 am

Meanwhile over in Oakland, they are excited about the future. Gone from 4-12 to 7-9 in 4 yrs. Awesome job, Reg.

Other fine org’s… Ravens 5-11. NYG 6-10. Blow em up?

• blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2016 at 11:38 am

Giants? Yes. I love Tom Coughlin – especially after he ruined the Patriots perfect season in the Super Bowl years ago – but he has only had one winning season (9-7 I think) in the last 4 or 5 seasons since his last SB win.

• Macdog said, on January 4, 2016 at 2:31 pm

It was probably time for Coughlin to go, but outside of the QB and the WR, the talent level on the team absolutely sucks, especially on defense. Like the Niners, the GM is mostly to blame for their current state.

24. Lurker John said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:54 am

Titans canned their GM.

25. Flavor said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:55 am

Jed is so full of shit. He’s referenced his *uncle* like 20 times so far–obvious ploy to link to the glorious past, deflect criticism he deserves. He also said the Niners will be owned by his family until after he’s dead and gone.

• Lurker John said, on January 4, 2016 at 11:20 am

That might be the worse news all season.

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2016 at 12:31 pm

That IS the worst news all season.

• Bozo said, on January 4, 2016 at 1:23 pm

He said the team would be owned by his family until he was dead and gone? Man, that is a batshit crazy thing to say in this day and age.

26. zumiee said, on January 4, 2016 at 11:22 am

Jed posted another apology. He’s getting pretty good at this:
    pic.twitter.com/UwASc41dWc

• zumiee said, on January 4, 2016 at 11:24 am

You’ll have to copy and paste the link to your browser.

27. blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2016 at 11:34 am

Props to Adam Gase, who told them to figuratively “fuck off” when it was reported that he was offered the job on the condition he have Tomsula be his defensive coordinator. If I am Sean Peyton (or anyone else), I don’t take the job unless I have final say on all personnel decisions, including draft picks. I know, not going to happen . . . Instead, this next hiring will be a Tomsula redux – you can take that to the bank.

28. ewisco said, on January 4, 2016 at 11:52 am

York says he wants someone with a clear strategic vision. didn’t that get covered last year in JT’s first press conference when Baalke interrupted him to say something like: “he means we’re going to run the ball:”? So you forced your vision down his throat but now want someone with vision? Is TB onboard with this or is he going to force HIS vision on the pour sap? what a wreck.

29. Flavor said, on January 4, 2016 at 12:00 pm

I listened to that entire press conference. The only thing Jed really promised to do was to stop tweeting. Sure, he apologized all that but he kinda had to do that. And constantly referencing his uncle is an old trick that shouldn’t work anymore. By referencing Eddie D so many times he’s trying to put the fan base at ease by pretending he’s in lockstep with an owner everyone loved. It was all a bullshit smoke screen. Don’t be fooled by those tricks. I mean, he’s BEEN in contact with Eddie D this whole time and look what happened……

30. Lurker John said, on January 4, 2016 at 12:03 pm

My take on the Niners taking a QB in the draft:

The Titans don’t figure to draft a QB after grabbing Mariota last year. He looks like he’s going to be a good one.

The Browns are two years into the Manzeil era and I wonder if they’d use a top pick for a QB for the second time in three years. My guess is no.

The Chargers have Philip Rivers, who is 34, so they well be looking for the next guy to take over. I don’t know the entirety of the QB class this year, but I thought I heard a couple of other names in addition to Goff’s. The Bolts may well take him.

The Cowboys are in the same boat with Romo at 35, who’s a talented but injury prone quarterback. They also might grab Goff if he’s still on the board.

The Jags have Blake Bortles who just finished a very nice season (35 TD’s, 4,400 yds passing and he’s young), so I don’t think they’re in the running for another young QB

The Ravens have a 30 year old Joe Flacco who’s coming off a down year. They might want a young QB but I think they have bigger holes to fill on defense. You know their D is bad when a pathetic 49er offense can score 20+ points on them.

Our Niners. They did themselves no favors by winning yesterday, but if word ever got out that they had intentionally tanked a game, the entire York regime would be finished in the NFL or any other league. This is professional sports, not boxing or big time wrestling. You play to win or you don’t play. In other words, the win is moot. Enjoy it, take the good from it and try to build on it.

I think the Niners would have been hard pressed to get Goff anyway at #5 if the Browns, Chargers or
    Cowboys decided they need a young QB to be groomed for the future.

Like I said, I don’t know much about this year’s QB crop and Goff is no guarantee, though he looks like a damn good risk. Unless they trade up, I don’t think they get him at #7 or #5. It may be best just to really focus on seriously beefing up the middle of the O-line with some top talent. Anthony Davis is reportedly coming back and he’s still in his mid-20’s. If he does and his teammates welcome him back, not a forgone conclusion, I’d be looking at guards, centers and some goddamn wideouts.

My biggest concern is fucking Baalke. I don’t trust him as far as I can spit to make any good offensive draft pick. That dude must have pictures of young Jed in bed with a donkey, because he’s dug in like an Alabama tick. What does it take to get him out of there?

• Flavor said, on January 4, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Didn’t Manziel completely blow off the last game of the season? I think i heard that on the radio. That’s “Clifford Ray” shit, that those of you with epic Warrior knowledge might appreciate.
      I think it’s almost guaranteed that one of those 3 teams grab Goff.
      When the NIners were busy taking a knee at the goal line before regulation ended I honestly thought they were going to tank the game by taking a safety. Obviously that wasn’t what was going on. it was just utter incompetence that was unfolding.

• Lurker John said, on January 4, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Yeah, Manziel may well have worn out his welcome. He’s a turd anyway. What the Browns were thinking when they drafted him is beyond me.

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Nearly as bad as Denver drafting Timmy Tebow.

31. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2016 at 1:01 pm

I recorded the Jed presser, but I’ll wait to be put off my dinner when I get home from work.

I’m sure Jack Daniels stock instantly went up after the press conference. . .

The only thing that MIGHT provide solace is that Jed is in a position where he almost HAS to offer the HC job to a bona fide coach with solid cred. As in Sean Payton. Regardless of the cost. It took all of 4 home games this year for the empty seats to show up in droves.

That goes on for another season or 2 with another no-name guy, the sponsors will pull out faster than a trigger-happy teenager.

• Flavor said, on January 4, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Chuck– note how many times he references his *uncle*.
      If I am Payton, or ANY credible coach, I would want to KNOW that I would be working in lockstep with Baalke on assessing and putting together personnel. Since we know Baalke is a lone wolf on this shit, I can’t see any credible coach taking this position. And all this *Shaw talk*, please, he’s not leaving Stanford, certainly not for this mess…….

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Yeah. My biggest fear. No one walks in to a situation where the head coach has little/no input on the team they are trying to build. It was one of the big stumbling blocks (the other being Harbaugh’s constant extension demands) that got St. Jim out of here.

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Shaw??? I hate Chip Kelly but I’d rather see him than Shaw.

32. Lurker John said, on January 4, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Hmm, I see Payton is a San Mateo boy, even more incentive for him to take the 49er job, if everything else shakes out that is.

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2016 at 3:35 pm

I’m not holding my breath, but Baalke would have to relinquish some of his iron fist with the roster picks. he has done nothing on the offensive side of the ball since he got here. Then again, the coaches haven’t been stellar either, but . . .

33. blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2016 at 1:40 pm

“That dude must have pictures of young Jed in bed with a donkey, because he’s dug in like an Alabama tick.”

This sentence has it all . . . Great imagery and an outstanding metaphor. Nicely done LJ! 🙂

34. alleykat69 said, on January 4, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Yeah Jed in bed with a donkey and dug in like a Alabama Tick had me busting a gut LJ!!
    I’m all in to Sean Payton, great coach, and had the cojones to try the successful on side kick starting the 2nd half against Indy in the SB game was awesome!!
    Plus the Dude looks like Joe Montana to me and that can never be a bad thing…

35. wilcojoe said, on January 4, 2016 at 4:31 pm

We have begun the Sports dead season, at least for me. MNF, College Bowl games (less the Championship game) all over. Just the weekend NFL playoff games to look forward to. . I can’t get into the NBA the way I used to and college basketball doesnt grab me until the tournament starts.

I can’t wait for the baseball preview magazines to hit the newsstands. Probably have to wait another 2-3 weeks for that. I think Zumie and I are the only ones in the world who still buy those.

• djloo27 said, on January 4, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Beware WJ – the Chiefs are comin’ to town. I think the last time they won a playoff game was in Houston…

• wilcojoe said, on January 4, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Was that when Montana was quarterback for the Chiefs?

• Flavor said, on January 4, 2016 at 7:20 pm

I’m absolutely rooting for the Chiefs. Unlike a lot of bitter Niner fans, I like Alex Smith. Good guy, good QB, just not Joe Montana. I could see the Chiefs winning it all this year, I really could.

• djloo27 said, on January 4, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Yes it was Joe, although people forget that Dave Krieg had to bail him out the game before with the Steelers if I remember it right…

• djloo27 said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:21 pm

I think I’ve already gone off the deep end, but if KC wins the SB, that would seal it…

• Macdog said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I seem to remember a special teams play was big for the Chiefs in that one.

• djloo27 said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:03 pm

All I remember is a TE named Cash or Kash catching the clinching TD and firing the ball at an Oilers banner draped in the corner of the end zone…

• Macdog said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Loo, I meant the Steelers game. The one against the Oilers, that was fun watching Montana beat Buddy Ryan’s D.

36. xoot said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:31 pm

Oklahoma and Kansas don’t usually get me interested in games, but damn their double over time b ball battle tonight has been fun to watch. Back to the Warriors soon.

• xoot said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Triple OT. And neither team looks winded. Helluva game.

• xoot said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:45 pm

My son informs me that the last time a number one and number two went to triple overtime Wilt Chamberlain played for Kansas.

• Macdog said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:46 pm

A 1-2 matchup living up to the ESPN hype.

• xoot said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:01 pm

One of the Okies’ hot shots finally fouled out and his replacement couldn’t throw the ball in bounds at the end. Still, a great game.

• Macdog said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Just looked it up, that was the 1957 NCAA final between #1 North Carolina and #2 Kansas, Tar Heels won 54-53 in 3 OT. The 2nd OT was 0-0.

• xoot said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Well now my son tells me I’m wrong about the guy who failed to make the in bound pass tonight. Apparently he played all but 1 or 2 minutes of the game. Could’ve sworn he came off the bench when Woodard fouled out.

• xoot said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:15 pm

0-0 OT? Wtf was defending Wilt?

37. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2016 at 8:59 pm

19-4 run for the dubs to start the second half.

Barnes was on fire in his limited mins.

• willedav said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Speights having another good night too.
      95 points end of 3.
      Hornets are scoring too just can’t keep up.

38. willedav said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Yeah that last run has put Hornets down 15 but what a fun game to watch.
    Steph putting on nice show in front of Dad who does Hornets games.

39. alleykat69 said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:12 pm

It’s really a pathetic organization when the 49ers have organizational leaks throughout.
    Rather its Jed,Balkass, or Joan from payroll this shit needs to be cleaned up!!
    Reminds me of Stalag 17, when the so called American/German traitor(Peter Graves)would twist the light bulb cord in the barracks to let the Krauts know the Americans were planning a breakout.Only the cunning observant eye of William Holden figured out what was happening as even the rest of the soldiers thought he was the informat..

40. willedav said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Sequence where Curry bombs a 3 off dribble handoff and screen from green right in front of 2 defenders a full step behind the 3 pt line top of key.
    Next time down the floor takes ball off the wing and drives it all the way to hoop and finishes with bank high off the glass. Just beautiful basketball.

• xoot said, on January 4, 2016 at 9:45 pm

The first one you describe, was that Draymond flipping the ball to Curry for Green’s 10th assist? That play was amazing and the way those two celebrated running backwards down to D seemed sort of emblematic of the Warriors’ excellent chemistry.

41. zumiee said, on January 4, 2016 at 10:55 pm

3 NFL teams, Chargers, Raiders, and Rams, are trying to move to L. A. What a mess.

• snarkk said, on January 4, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Bowlcut Davis’ father Darth did the treason do-si-do back in the early ’80s to LA, and I gave up on the Raiduhs then for that backstab to fans that sold the Coliseum out for two decades to no avail. Now Bowlcut wants to do the Bekins thing again. As bad as the Niners are with a dipstick ownership family, at least they’ve committed to staying in the area. So, screw the Raiduhs, most likely they’ll still be stuck in Oakland anyway, the NFL owners aren’t the kind to do the Davis progeny any favors…

• zumiee said, on January 4, 2016 at 11:07 pm

The Coluseum was hugely altered for the Raiders and now they want an entirely new stadium. That’s a crock.

42. zumiee said, on January 4, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Yeah, WilcoJoe, I eagerly look forward to getting the baseball season preview magazines. That feels like the start of the season to me. The last few years I’ve been getting the Baseball Prospectus season preview book, also.
    All those preview things are fun to read. They really get my baseball motor running.

43. willedav said, on January 5, 2016 at 7:58 am

I don’t think Davis has the money (or the org behind him) to go anywhere, sharing a yard or not, so he’s stuck I do believe. Feel sad for Chargers fans if Spanos moves them to LA.

Other than disliking Seattle, no axe to grind in playoffs. But all props to Chiefs for sweeping Oakland and ending their season on losing note. They went 7-9, had a 2-7 record vs. winning teams. They were 0 for the NFC North, losing to playoff teams Min and GB, and also to decidedly not playoff caliber Bears and Lions.

Jets won 10 games and didn’t make it. Hey it’s one thing to go from as awful as Raiders were to mediocre, but quite another to get to next level.

44. willedav said, on January 5, 2016 at 8:17 am

Tweeted pic taken last night shows Dexter Fowler sitting courtside at Warriors game with his financial adviser ( who apparently lives in Danville). Would he be good fit for SF, in terms of salary defense LU?

• Flavor said, on January 5, 2016 at 8:24 am

seems like a good thread idea, gimmie a min