Having a Back Up Plan

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 8, 2016

Here’s what I like most about the Span signing: this is the first off season I can remember where management didn’t just build the barest bones roster they could possibly build.

In the past, we would be counting on Blanco, Pagan and Pence and that would be it. Kelby Tomlinson would probably be groomed as a 4th outfielder. And then when Pagan goes down in May we would be scrambling as usual.

But the Span signing means that’s not going to happen.

One thing I would like to see happen: stop tip toeing around Angel Pagan. It seems like the Giants are afraid of this guy or something. Sit his ass down and tell him he’s no longer playing CF. He can split time in LF with Blanco. Sharing the job would be best for both of them.

Now Specs can focus on his utility role in the infield and Parker and Williamson can jostle around for the 5th OF spot.

I almost don’t know what to do with all these extra players, lol!

1. zumiee said, on January 8, 2016 at 6:17 am

The Giants now are the #2 spender in the off-season so far in total money, according to the Hot Stove show.
    The Cubs are at #1 so far.

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 8, 2016 at 6:52 am

Feels weird, right?

• Flavor said, on January 8, 2016 at 6:53 am

it’s like when saying lulz used to feel weird but now I say it all the time and I love it.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 8, 2016 at 7:06 am

Ha! I’m digging this off season but trying to be like yup Mmmhmmmm, let’s roll.

3. djloo27 said, on January 8, 2016 at 7:07 am

I would like a psychiatrist’s opinion on the POTD.
    “lulz” is sweeping the nation…

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 8, 2016 at 7:34 am

Rodney Dangerfield to psychiatrist who said he’s crazy:
      Doc, I’d like a second opinion.
      Psychiatrist: And you’re ugly.

• willedav said, on January 8, 2016 at 7:39 am

mm, gotta admit I wondered what it is you see in Werth.
      I think SF days of looking for a Burrell/Morse type to play LF are done…tho Parker might turn into same type of hitter, albeit from left side .

• chipower9 said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:02 am

Parker has a ton more range than either Pat the Bat or Morse when they played with us. And he has played significant time in all three OF positions throughout his days in the minors.

I think it will be 2017 before either Parker or Williamson have a legit shot at a starting spot on the ML club.

4. blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 7:32 am

Actually Flavor, I think most people suspect this is exactly what the Giants are going to do . . .

“Span will likely start in center field and push Pagan to left field or the bench, as San Francisco will probably go with an outfield of Span, Blanco/Pagan and Hunter Pence.” See –

Personally, I like Blanco (like most here), but I see him as a late inning defensive specialist, injury replacement OF, and in general, a jack of all trades. Pagan will get a “pass” with Bochy for what he has done in the past and consequently, will probably start. However, via injury or ineffectiveness, he’ll likely be on the bench before the All Star break . . . or not.

Angel – as have been noted by all accounts – is a very proud man and I’ll bet he has a little bit left in the tank to give next season. Regardless, if he doesn’t perform, it will be a difficult decision for Bochy, who genuinely likes him. Of course, an injury would resolve the matter for him.

5. willedav said, on January 8, 2016 at 8:12 am

Baggs has pretty good take on Span signing.
    Does say Groeschner and SF med staff had a lot to do with it (insert how does that make you feel? here).
    Apparently Maxwell had similar type hip surgery last year and recovered fine, tho his bat never did.

And yes flav’s right, Pagan, who has been elephant in the room since May 2015, is the real issue here.
    When I saw Bochy say how pleased he was to see how Pagan played in Sept I cringed.
    April and Sept he was fine. May June July and August, no. He was awful.
    He probably does go in as starting LF, with couple guys ready to take that away. There does not appear to be anyone in farm ready to play CF full time so I’m glad SF has made a move to solve that with legit starter.

LF is lot easier spot to fill, and I could live with Blanco (who will also be an FA after this year) and a kid out there.

6. willedav said, on January 8, 2016 at 8:22 am

Might not have time to find it before work, but I vaguely recall (like about everything) J Werth hitting an opposite field HR to RF against the Giants at ATT, maybe in playoffs. Phils? Nats?

• zumiee said, on January 8, 2016 at 8:45 am

Don’t know about an HR; but, of course, Werth hit the ball that was caught by Pence on the Fence.

• chipower9 said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:05 am

Not absolutely sure, but I think he hit one opposite field at our yard that was a splash hit.

7. alleykat69 said, on January 8, 2016 at 8:23 am

It only benefits Pagan to play some LF so his next team next year can judge his value. Which to me is little ,but their’s a sucker born everyday and some idiot GM will bite…

8. Bozo said, on January 8, 2016 at 8:27 am

DSpan must be wearing Keds.

• zumiee said, on January 8, 2016 at 8:47 am

The next day he couldn’t walk.
      Kidding. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Bozo said, on January 8, 2016 at 8:51 am

I know I’m down for the count just from watching it.

• blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 9:06 am

Love this John . . . Thanks for sharing.

• unca_chuck said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:03 am

PF Flyers for you oldsters . . .

• chipower9 said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:06 am

Agree with Charlie…PF Flyers! LMAO…I had a few pairs of those back in the day.

• Bozo said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:06 am

You guys are right. When I wrote it I was thinking Keds were the run faster, jump higher, shoe Oh well, glad you guys knew what I meant.

• gianthead said, on January 8, 2016 at 3:38 pm

I have two bad knees and think I can do that…so I’m just sayin…

9. chipower9 said, on January 8, 2016 at 8:29 am

I like the signing a lot (did not have time to comment much on it after posting the signing on the last thread)…IF he can stay healthy. But for the coin spent, and the potential upside, I think it is a damned good signing.

Per Pavs, Pagan will be moved to LF, and as the article states, they even had a conversation with Crazy Horse prior to the signing.

I am really impressed with the team Sabevans has assembled this off-season. With these two quantifiers: 1) the team staying healthy, and 2) everyone playing to, or near their potential, I like the chances of seeing another parade down Market Street.

10. willedav said, on January 8, 2016 at 8:33 am

Well, if Werth did what I think he did it wasn’t in 2014 playoffs—he went 1 for 17 vs. Giants with 0 HRs and 5 Ks,,something to justify Loo’s 2 original takes from POTD.
    He has hit couple HRs at ATT so I’ll keep looking.

I would hope Giants never sign anyone with that dumb James harden beard look. Did B Wilson start this nonsense?

• Bozo said, on January 8, 2016 at 8:43 am

I think the House of David ball team started the bearded wonder look.

• Carstie Clausen said, on January 8, 2016 at 9:18 am

To think ~ i once possessed several House of David real photo postcards from back in the day. Sold them, as i did an “Athletic Sports” 1870’s book with several tipped in lithograph team pictures. Bought the book in near coverless condition for not very much and had it rebound by a professional. Made out okay on the sale, but nowadays it would probably sell for many times the price i received at the antique show where a happy purchaser walked off with it.

Hey! I had to make a living. Best baseball related sale was a 1957 Topps #1 of Ted Williams. Sold it at an LA area mall show in ’88 for a hundred bucks. Bought it, along with a teeth-mushing piece of bubblegum at the Gully Co-op Store in ’57 for a Lincoln penny. Ten thousand percent margins are the dream of all vendors. Wish i’d spent all my paper route, gopher trapping and bottle return money on BBC’s.

11. blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 9:15 am

Anyone have stairs in their house? I remember before ski season, standing at the foot of my stairs (Shasta and Colorado) and practicing jumps to the 4th step on my stair case. No problem . . . Until 2010 or thereabouts – I barely could clear 3. Today, I would probably break my neck trying for 2.

It’s a bitch getting old. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• unca_chuck said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:47 am

oh yeah. My last move I made sure to not have stairs! My knees are in decent shape, but I went skiing for a couple days last week, and now walking up stairs is killing me. No swelling, just pain.

• blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:25 am

Chuck, that was a key reason why I moved from the mountains in 2010 to my condo (along with moving snow from Point A to B). I got to the point where I hated climbing stairs.

It’s weird, you spend your 20s and 30s acquiring things, e.g., big house (with humongous yard or acreage, stairs, multiple bathrooms, etc.), new cars, other toys . . . then in your late 40s and 50s, you want to downsize and shed yourself of all that shit. At least that’s my MO.

• Bozo said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:38 am

After our house got flooded, we put it on stilts 8 feet up. I had them put a landing in the stairs so someday I could put a bench there to rest on my way up to the front door.

• unca_chuck said, on January 8, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Yup. We just got all the kids out of the house, so we don’t need nearly as much as we had.

• gianthead said, on January 8, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Not a problem for me still Blade. I can jump down six steps easy:)

• blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 4:03 pm

LOL . . .I meant ascend GH, not descend. Grin.

12. Carstie Clausen said, on January 8, 2016 at 9:23 am

Get this: Giants current #1 roster deficiency is lack of sure identity of a 5th outfielder. Think about it. This team is locked and loaded.

Only SF team i can think of that was less holey may have been the 1962 NL Champs who lost to Bobby Richardson’s snagging of WillieMac’s hot liner in the 9th inning. Even the 3 in 5 teams sported a few blank spots ~ relatively speaking. Of course they were in full possession of the magic ingredient, over the identity of which there is some discussion and considerable confusion.

• blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 9:27 am

“less holey”

Like that expression.

• blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 9:57 am

By the by, loved the email you sent me. ๐Ÿ™‚

• chipower9 said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:17 am

I highly suspect (and have mentioned this a number of times on past threads) that the fifth OF spot will be filled by either Parker or Williamson. My money is on Parker.

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 8, 2016 at 9:27 am

Best LU Bochy’s ever had?

• chipower9 said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:18 am

I think so.

14. Irish Kevin said, on January 8, 2016 at 9:41 am

The Giants look very formidable, being that it is an even year, GM’s everywhere must be ringing their hands wondering what to do.
    No I am a little on the slow side at times….what is Lulz?

15. blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 9:47 am

Interesting column about the Span signing, e.g., what it means to the Giants and how it impacts future outfield signings (Cespedes, Fowler, etc.) this season.

• chipower9 said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:24 am

Good read…thanks Steve.

16. unca_chuck said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:11 am

Ahhh, we don;t lose a comp pick with Span as well. Coolio.

17. chipower9 said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:12 am

I knew Werth had hit one opposite field at the phone park. I thought it was a splash hit, but cannot find anything to that effect.

Ninth inning, game 5 of the NLCS.

18. blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:30 am

More imbecile predictions, such as these two:

Los Angeles Dodgers

Nobody will be complaining about the Dodgers’ lack of flashy offseason moves when Corey Seager emerges as one of the top five players in the National League and Clayton Kershaw leads a rotation that has better depth than any the Dodgers have had since their glory days. It will be another lesson that pulling off a few shrewd moves is usually wiser than trying to buy your core via free agency. The Dodgers remain the class of the NL West. — Mark Saxon

San Francisco Giants

Well, it is an even-numbered year, which, if history is a guide, means these guys could do damage if they sneak into the playoffs. Johnny Cueto and Jeff Samardzija will help, of course, but the Giants still don’t have great starting pitching depth and their outfield is beginning to age. One more offseason addition would help, but the Giants still don’t look like a lock to get in. If they do, all bets are off. — Mark Saxon

Here are the rest of the so-called “Bold Predictions” for next season . . .

• blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:31 am

By the by, I read this – while heโ€™s only played in five games against the Los Angeles Dodgers, Span’s come away with five runs on eight hits, with two doubles, two home runs and four RBI. Small sample size, I know. But feel free to extrapolate from there and do a little dance.

• unca_chuck said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:57 am

Wow. Stupid stuff. Ryu didn’t pitch an inning last year, Maeda is a total unknown, McCarthy? Wood? Such depth.

Take away Greinke (which they took care of) and the Dogs are 73-67.

• chipower9 said, on January 8, 2016 at 2:53 pm

FUCKING IDIOT. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, bitch. We’ll see ya on Market Street for the fourth World Series Championship parade in seven years.

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:02 am

Krukow was funny on the call to KNBR this morning. He covered all the bases with Span

* His defense is outstanding
    * He’s got speed AND some pop. You can’t sleep on this guy.
    * They’ve wanted this guy for a long time.
    * I’ve appreciated him as an opponent.
    * The Giants lucked out with this one partner!

I was expecting a “he’s got a high three quarter release” but I guess he saves that one for pitchers only.

• sandog said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:08 am

“He’s got a tight zone, but he’ll give you the corners in the latter stages of the game.”

• chipower9 said, on January 8, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Good to see you Sandog. Happy New Year.

• unca_chuck said, on January 8, 2016 at 12:55 pm

He throws a heavy sinker.

• djloo27 said, on January 8, 2016 at 1:19 pm

“He can get a wild hair up his nose”

• wilcojoe said, on January 8, 2016 at 1:42 pm

“I wantagetthat, I wantagetthat, I wantagetthat”

20. sandog said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:05 am

Personally, I was hoping for a little bigger splash than Span. I was holding out hope for Cespy and maybe even Upton—as I think the pricetag on him might not be as high as many would expect. I also would have preferred Fowler myself. When I first heard of the signing, I thought–good, now we have a backup CF and can still go after a big fish to play in LF. Then, I saw what we are paying him and you’d have to think we are putting the checkbook away at this point.
    I totally agree on the point about the Giants always pandering to Crazy Horse. I get the feeling that he’s a guy that energizes the team when he is happy and can suck the life out of the clubhouse when he’s not and that is why the Giants treat him with kid gloves. I hope they do move him over to LF and team him up with Blanco and switch them in and out—playing the hot hand, but I will have to see Span in CF on opening day to believe that is the plan.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:12 am

There was some chatter on the local radio station that the Giants are well positioned to sign two outfielders. The reasoning being that the OF market has been slow to develop and it may be collapsing for the guys still out there. I thought that was interesting but I tend to agree with you. They’re done. 2016 OF = Pence, Pagan, Span, Blanco & Mac (?). I’d rather see Mac play in Fresno or wherever. Byrd for some pop off the bench wouldn’t be so bad with some of that $7M they’ve got left.

• chipower9 said, on January 8, 2016 at 2:55 pm

As I mentioned earlier and on previous threads, if they do not sign another OFer (and I think they are done, too), then I think Parker will win the 5th OF spot.

21. zumiee said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:20 am

When I think of Panik, I get a wee little bit nervous. How did his rehab go? Did we ever hear anything on that? Is ‘no news’ good news?

• ewisco said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:30 am

with the crack giants medical staff, i wonder that you’re worried.

• blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:31 am

Now, they’re on crack? Agree, we’re in trouble.

• ewisco said, on January 8, 2016 at 12:20 pm

with the whole kapernick daily injury update, one wonders if there’s collusion between the two staffs? or should we not ascribe to conspiracy what can be explained by incompetence?

22. zumiee said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:22 am

Regarding right-handed splash hits, I don’t think it’s happened yet. I think Krukow mentioned that last year.

• xoot said, on January 8, 2016 at 2:31 pm

no opposite field splash hits yet. Pence could do it, though.

23. zumiee said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:30 am

Stix, those are cool stories about your baseball memorabilia. Thanks for sharing about that.

24. blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:30 am

Chuck, I just saw your ESPN comment on the article (Predictions) I cited above. Excellent. I left one too. ๐Ÿ™‚

25. alleykat69 said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:51 am

So what’s the Giants PR department gonna come up with for Denard Span?
    Spandex bobblehead night?

• ewisco said, on January 8, 2016 at 12:21 pm

and what stupid animal are we going to call him?

• djloo27 said, on January 8, 2016 at 1:23 pm

I’m sure there will be some type of attachable Cueto dreadlocks available in the Dugout Store…

26. blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 12:09 pm

This Fox Sports article is the best I’ve seen on Span thus far . . . Per the article, the Giants potentially got a great bargain/value versus projected return. Nice.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 8, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Interesting article. My gut feel is that Span and Cueto are good deals. Span because I think he’ll bounce back from injuries and be fine. Cueto because of the opt out. I’m not sold on Samardzija but they’re looking for him to be a #3 and if you’re going to hedge the bet you may as well go with Bochy and Rags.

The Giants have a good mix of hungry players with the new guys, young players like Duffy & Panik, Pence coming back from injuries, Pagan (hopefully) fully motivated and healthy. Humm baby!

27. blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Off topic . . . Something I should have said the other day, but failed to do regarding equities: I know you guys don’t pay attention to what I say anyway, but just in case you are – do your own due diligence regarding stock picks.

For example, I mentioned I might get back into Bank of America again at around $15.50 . . . Well, I changed my mind about that. In fact, I’ve changed my mind about purchasing all equities, including puts and call options, until the market corrects. In my opinion, it’s in the midst of doing just that the last couple of weeks, especially since the Chinese stock market tanked this week. Too many other variables to mention here, e.g., technicals (charts) and fundamentals (how a business is actually doing profit wise), oil and other commodities, and currency impacts. A lot of information that I have time to evaluate, but you guys may not. Consequently, I would feel really bad about giving you guys any info or advice where it went south. Thanks for listening and I apologize for not mentioning this the other day . . . ๐Ÿ™‚

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 8, 2016 at 1:33 pm

So don’t buy AOL?

• blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Correcto el mundo.

• blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Actually, you couldn’t anyway Dirt . . . Verizon bought them last June or July.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 8, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Should I have inserted a smiley face at the end of my comment? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I don’t do much with stocks outside of some RSUs, ESPPs and maxing out the 401K. Whenever we go through lows in the market I try and up my contribution and make a shift here and there but that’s about it.

• unca_chuck said, on January 8, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Yeah, I think that was sarcasm. ๐Ÿ™‚ The only thing I was sure of was hitting Visa hard when it went public.

I was bummed I wasn’t working there at the time.

28. alleykat69 said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Wtf is wrong with you bitches, it’s Friday night and there hasn’t been a post in fucking hours!!
    Alright I’m posting nothing except 4 in 7 bitches cause Cuevro Coutero are what the fuck is his name is guaranteeing a W/S championship again by wearing #47 which means 4 in 7 W/S Bitches locked in!!!! โšพ๏ธโšพ๏ธโšพ๏ธโšพ๏ธโšพ๏ธโšพ๏ธโšพ๏ธ

• djloo27 said, on January 8, 2016 at 10:34 pm

We’re complacent…

• snarkk said, on January 9, 2016 at 12:02 am

Dang Kat, are you nearing skink territory again? …

• unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2016 at 12:02 am

Tryiing to get skinked

29. Robert Neys said, on January 8, 2016 at 11:44 pm

The Dodgers are FUBAR’ed.

30. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2016 at 12:10 am

From Bryce Harper:

I can’t thank @denardspan enough for everything he taught me in the outfield and what he brought to the table for our team! The Giants organization got a great player, but an even better person! Appreciate brotha #MLB

31. snarkk said, on January 9, 2016 at 12:48 am

IF Span stays healthy, he’s the leadoff guy the Giants needed, with a bit of pop. I’m always dubious about guys coming off surgery. He and Timmy can compare hip labrum notes…

32. willedav said, on January 9, 2016 at 7:35 am

Out watching girls HS b-ball last night, there were 7 different kids btw JV and Varsity who had played for our league as middle school kids. Then another one from another school came in later with her team to watch upcoming opponent.

Sometimes there are just kids that you like, but when they are on the floor they just don’t do enough things that you like. I think that was part of Bochy’s problem last year with McG, and Pagan. Also Lincecum.

Now he shouldn’t have to worry near as much, with added depth in LU and rotation.