Losses That Sting

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 10, 2016

Man, Jeremy Hill….

People are going to say that somehow he’s not the goat of that game. That it was the absurd Burfict or Jones, who could be found weeping alone on the bench at the end of the game. And while those 2 idiots definitely played a role in that incomprehensible loss, Hill is the one who is going to have to wear that one forever.

I know this because I still haven’t forgiven Roger Craig for his fumble. Remember that one? Losing to the Giants with 2 minutes to play. All they needed was another 15-20 yards or so for a game winning field goal. Ball handed off to Craig. He runs into the line. Ball pops out. Fucking Lawrence Taylor recovers it.

Game over.

*********Resident Niner expert Chuck corrected me in the comment section that the Niners were winning when he fumbled and the Giants kicked a FG to win it. I don’t remember that at all. Just the fumble and the loss. I did leave my apartment in Portland, Oregon after the fumble and went for a drive. Don’t remember where I drove to. Probably for beer******

And I was a privileged 49er fan with 4 Sb ‘s already in the bank. How must a Bengal fan be coping with last night’s unfathomable defeat?

That was and will always be the worst loss I’ve ever felt as a fan. It still makes me sick to my stomach.

What was your worst loss ever?

_______________________

1. unca_chuck said, on January 10, 2016 at 7:32 am

The Niners were winning when Craig fumbled. The Giants kicked a FG a few plays after to win the game. And Craig, who I still don’t forgive, blamed the fumble on Guy McIntyre. I threw a lawn chair 200′ down a hill in Belmont.

And I’m still not over Preston Riley.

The refs let that game get way out of hand. When the hit on Bernard wasn’t called a spear, it gave Burfict the opportunity to go after the WR. The 2nd penalty shouldn’t have been called on Pacman. Ticky tack. The refs didn’t understand that they were fueling the fire.

• Flavor said, on January 10, 2016 at 7:50 am

that’s crazy. I don’t remember that at all. Just the fumble and the loss. But I believe you. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• unca_chuck said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:03 am

I remember the reason for the drive . . . something abut finding a certain running back.

• Lurker John said, on January 10, 2016 at 10:02 am

That’s right, Matt Bahr just snuck that kick inside the left upright to win it. Craig’s fumble is right up there with the most disappointing plays in Niner’s history, and from such a great player.

2. willedav said, on January 10, 2016 at 7:36 am

I’d still say ’62, just because I was sure that team with Mays Marichal et al would be back and it never happened. Giants didn’t even get back to division win til ’71, then Big Red Machine took over yada yada.

After Wilt and Sixers finally won next year they lost to hated rival Celts, as one of my heroes Hal Greer was passing ball in from out of bounds when “Havlicek stole the ball.”
    Watching Pudge tag out JT Snow was a tough one too.
    Enjoyed Raiders in younger days so Bettis immaculate reception one hurt too.

Kyle Williams I guess in more recent times.
    Really hope someone takes out Sherman and Seachickens, sooner the better.

3. blade3colorado said, on January 10, 2016 at 7:38 am

Well, you nailed the worse loss in my mind too, insofar as the 49ers are concerned. End of our 80s dynasty, along with Montana only playing one more half of football for San Francisco (where the 49ers didn’t even make the playoffs the next season). Similarly, Roger Craig and Ronnie Lott, mainstays of our 80s dynasty, would be gone the next time the 49ers returned to the Super Bowl. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

In baseball, easily the 2002 World Series loss, when just about everybody thought we had our first WS in the bag. Ever since then, I’ve hated monkeys.

• unca_chuck said, on January 10, 2016 at 8:47 am

and thundersticks . . .

• djloo27 said, on January 10, 2016 at 8:52 am

and Travolta…

4. willedav said, on January 10, 2016 at 7:45 am

Didn’t see hardly any sports yesterday at all but kinda surprised Cal b-ball went 0 for Oregon and Arizona lost twice in LA. Week ago Palm guy on cbs had 9 teams from league in as early bracketology. Doubt half that many actually make it. Stanford Cal this coming week.

Monmouth wins again. MAAC League is led by Iona (26 game home W streak) whose leading scorer is A J English 3rd, son of A J second who played few years in NBA, out of small D-II Virginia Union, school that produced Charles Oakley I think.

5. wilcojoe said, on January 10, 2016 at 8:21 am

For me, it’s still the last game of the 1993 season. Fucking Salomon Torres. I was so stoked about a one game playoff with the Braves at The Stick. That was probably my favorite Giants season of all time.

6. zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 8:44 am

2002 Game 6.
    But who’da thunk we’d later celebrate the 3-in-5? You just never know in sports. That’s one of the great things about sports.

• djloo27 said, on January 10, 2016 at 8:56 am

That’s far and away #1 for me. I don’t remember the ’62 WS.
      Although I absolutely have some brutal NY Ranger & KC Chief losses that I’m sure no one cares about.
      Some of you guys might remember the Chiefs Christmas Day loss to Miami a.k.a. the “Ed Podolak” game.

7. zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 8:52 am

I was actually at the ’95 season 49er playoff loss to Green Bay. That left a bigger impression on me than the one against the NY Giants. In fact, the ’83 season playoff loss to Washington sticks with me more than the NY game.

• zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 8:54 am

’95 is the only playoff game I’ve ever attended.

• xoot said, on January 10, 2016 at 10:31 am

That 83 season (Jan. 84 game) killed me. I saw it on a b/w tv in the lobby of a hotel in Salina Cruz, Mexico. Toward the end I got a bit angry, and all of the other guys in the room started watching me warily. Maybe they’d seen gringos really flip out over football games. A walk on the beach didn’t much help.

8. Bozo said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:03 am

I was at that 49er game. After Montana went down, there was already a feeling of doom. The injury, the fumble, the D not holding them, all equaled to no three-peat. All we had to do was run the clock out but no. I’m such an asshole that I blamed Steve Young for all of it and still do.

9. zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:04 am

For me, the agony for the Giants in ’93 wasn’t so much about the last game. I was far more bitter about the Padres giving the Braves McGriff at the trade deadline.
    The next year was the added disgust of the strike, and I tuned baseball out for several years. I came back fully with the building of the new ballpark.

• Lurker John said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:44 am

That was also a very tough time as a Giants fan. The last series against the Braves were the final games I ever saw at the Stick. That was such a surprising , rejuvenating and exciting season, with Bonds on board and everything just coming together. What a great Giants team that was. Then the ending. 103 wins and no playoffs. Brutal.

10. unca_chuck said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:07 am

I saw a lot of those playoff losses to GB after the 1994 super bowl. Bad, but they didn’t turn so hard from victory to defeat like that 1990 game did.

Not to salt the wound but here’s the recap.

11. zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:12 am

After the 3-in-5, I’m able to appreciate ’93 better. It was a classic battle for a playoff spot. Every day in the second half of the season was intense.

• wilcojoe said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:16 am

It really was. I actually don’t think any other regular season comes close.

• willedav said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:54 am

yeah it was. Torres actually lost twice in the final week, while flipping Rockies got swept by Braves.

12. zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:19 am

I’m much better about 2002 now, but I still won’t watch highlights of that Series.
    It kept me from reading Baggs’ new book for a while, because he has a chapter about 2002.
    BUT, I’m very glad I read it. It was a great season, overall, and we did knock out the Braves and Cards in the playoffs. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:28 am

The Dodgers’ World Series appearance drought is now longer than any Giants drought ever.

• blade3colorado said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:48 am

Looking forward to 4 things (in order of importance): 1. Dodgers go at least 56 years without a World Series; 2. The completion of this year, when the Washington Senators/Texas Rangers bump us down a notch to 9th on the all time “Longest World Series championship droughts through history;” 3. The completion of the 2017 season, when the Houston Colt .45s/Astros knock us to #10 on the aforementioned WS championship drought list; and, 4. The Houston Colt .45s/Astros and San Diego Padres knock us out of the top 10 of this longest WS championship droughts list in 9 seasons time. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lurker John said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:52 am

Wow, blade, you’ve given this a lot of thought. LOL

• zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:55 am

The Niner championships made the Giants’ championship drought easier to endure. ๐Ÿ™‚

• blade3colorado said, on January 10, 2016 at 10:02 am

Seriously though, sometimes I lose faith in karma but then something always happens to remind me that it’s there. ๐Ÿ˜‰

14. Lurker John said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:40 am

That NFC Championship game loss was brutal, like having your heart ripped out, but game 6 will probably always be my toughest loss as a fan. I was already in a celebratory mood, a lifetime of intense disappointment about to be washed away, the Giants were going to be World Series Champs. Then, boom. That one hit me like a ton of bricks.

Like zumiee, I’m better with it because of the last 6 years, but I still can’t watch those games, which I have recorded on VHS. I think I knew for sure then that I probably took being a fan of the Giants too seriously. If course, that hasn’t changed a goddamn thing. ๐Ÿ™‚

• zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:59 am

I wonder if the players fully know what they put us fans through? ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Lurker John said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:51 am

Burfict and Jones. Those names will go down in infamy as far as Bengals fans are concerned, regardless of how good those two players are. Football is an emotional game, especially in the playoffs, but the level of stupidity of those 2 players at that time is breathtaking. Back-to-back 15 yarders? Jesus H. Christ. All I can say is that I can empathize with how Bengals fans felt after that game.

And Jeremy Hill? What’s the one thing you CAN’T do in that situation? THE ONE THING?

Now, GO VIKINGS!!

16. willedav said, on January 10, 2016 at 10:01 am

My godson the Pads fan said at Xmas how good the Giants were gonna be, before they acquired Span.
    F/G had a zips projection on Padres, and it was really weak even including WAR of J Up who they likely have zero chance of retaining.
    To think this time last year they had “won the offseason.”

Brisbee at McCoveyChron had interesting take regarding WAR from new additions (and minus Hudson etc.) trying to project how many more Ws SF could add to last year’s total.
    Of course other side of equation would be how different AZ and LA are too.

As football winds down gotta admit I’m looking forward to Giants 2016.

• Lurker John said, on January 10, 2016 at 10:22 am

Oh yeah, bring on the baseball.

17. snarkk said, on January 10, 2016 at 10:33 am

End ’93 for the Giants in LA was tough, but the 2002 game 6 WS was brutal. Even though I was definitely NOT celebrating early when the Giants were up 5-0, I had already told myself over and over that this was the damn Giants, after all, and do not count chickens. Still, when the reality met the apprehension, the reality of that loss was just brutal. I knew we were screwed for game 7. Knew it. And when they announced Dusty was going to start friggin Livan, who had been crap, book the doom. I will never forgive Dusty for starting Livan. Never. The fans (and players said later, too) knew that was a suicide start — he should have given the ball to Woody on three days rest, and then go with the Pen as needed. But, Dusty was a loyal idiot when it came to that. Bochy would never have started Livan. I don’t know the Sabes/Dusty dynamic on that decision, but Sabean has dirty hands on it, too. I can’t believe Sabean didn’t agree with it, he was the damn GM…

18. snarkk said, on January 10, 2016 at 10:37 am

I was still way more a Raider fan in the early ’70s than Niners. The loss to the Steelers on the Immaculate Reception game I remember was friggin bad. Really bad. They had the game won, and onto playing the Dolphins for the AFC title — which game I think the Raiders could have won — shutting up these idiot Dolphins from their perfect season. That play still sticks in my craw…

• zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 11:21 am

What I most remember about that game is the TV I watched it on- in my bedroom, on a crappy little black and white, with rabbit ears, and fuzzy reception. And I remember being as stunned at the ending of that game as anyone around.

19. Flavor said, on January 10, 2016 at 11:08 am

Happy birthday, Willie McCovey

• zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 11:22 am

And Joan Baez. ๐Ÿ™‚

20. Macdog said, on January 10, 2016 at 11:23 am

Giants nose tackle Erik Howard poked the ball out, so it wasn’t like Craig just dropped the ball. The Giants then had to go about 20 yards or so with hobbled backup QB Jeff Hostetler to get into field goal range. One of the greatest wins I’ve ever watched.

• Flavor said, on January 10, 2016 at 11:42 am

ha! I was waiting for a Giants fan to chime in on this.

21. Macdog said, on January 10, 2016 at 11:36 am

Worst loss: Game 6. There isn’t a close second, and I’ve had some doozies, especially in football. My wife got me a Chronicle book on the ’02 season that Xmas, and I’ve barely looked at it.

22. alleykat69 said, on January 10, 2016 at 11:44 am

What really hurt about that 49er/Giants championship game was Joe getting knocked out, Young taking over with a 13-12 lead trying to hang on late and driving with another possible FG to seal the deal, then the “TheFumble” and the chance for the only team in SB History to win 3 straight, the trifecta, the 3peat , to the throwing a beer at my TV in shock in disbelief!!!!

23. zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 12:07 pm

32 years ago today….The Catch.
    I don’t have tons of memorabilia, but I do have that Sports Illustrated cover framed. It would be cool to get that signed by him someday. Imagine how many times he’s signed that famous photo over the years. Probably made a lot of money just at memorabilia shows.
    The game itself was actually kind of ragged. The Niners offense had 6 turnovers.

24. willedav said, on January 10, 2016 at 1:02 pm

well add this fool to the mix.
    hard to f-ing believe.

25. Macdog said, on January 10, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Steelers and Seahawks will probably win the Powerball, too.

26. alleykat69 said, on January 10, 2016 at 1:04 pm

WTF!!!
    “The Blair Witch Project hits the Vikings!!!
    Unfucking real chip shot and he chokes the chicken!!

27. unca_chuck said, on January 10, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Jesus. Stinging loss indeed. Shank a fucking 27 yarder.

28. zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Wow- the Vikings gave it away as badly as the Bengals.

29. Macdog said, on January 10, 2016 at 1:21 pm

No one is happier than Jeremy Hill.

• willedav said, on January 10, 2016 at 1:38 pm

yeah. If I was kicker I wouldn’t accept any ice fishing invites.

Hey watched St. Joe’s today beat D. Hurley’s URI. Good game. Hawks have a distant relative of Bo Kimble, Philly kid Lamarr who comes off bench for them. Imagine Bembry’s last year. Fun player to watch, made some good passes to open teammates, still takes high risk shots and is suspect from FT line.

Pac 12 broadcaster who does good job is Adrian Branch, self effacing about his own career but knowledgeable.
      Maryland guy who played for famed coach Morgan Wooten at DeMatha

30. alleykat69 said, on January 10, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Oh Fuck, We get Joe Buck
    to end this weekend of crazy football games!!!
    Time to get a skink on!
    Can’t all networks cancel his contract!!

31. wilcojoe said, on January 10, 2016 at 2:04 pm

That was a lame attempt for a TD by Jackson. If he can’t put the ball in his left hand, at least try to reach for the pylon with your right?

32. gianthead said, on January 10, 2016 at 2:20 pm

The ineptitude of Marvin Lewis not instructing his team to take 3 knees and field goal to go up 4 is inexcusable IMO.

That would make me sick if I were a Bengal fan….the refs on top of that should not have been the deciding factor with the second call. A head ref has to be mature enough to come in and say we are not deciding this game on a subjective call and call offsetting unsportsmanlike calls there.

then there is t he Vikings…motherfuckers…

33. gianthead said, on January 10, 2016 at 2:30 pm

I was in Dayton Ohio at my grandparents during that Roger Craig fumble while in grad school down the road in Kentucky and was in disbelief that we were not going to the third super bowl in a row.

Of course all my family and friends in KY were all Bengal fans and all were happy to see us lose…so that made the loss extra bitter. At least I thought the NY Giants would get their comeuppance and get destroyed by the Bills…then there came Norwood….

34. Flavor said, on January 10, 2016 at 3:05 pm

sources saying Hue Jack is the new Niner coach. Fucking lame.

• snarkk said, on January 10, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Hue certainly doesn’t have a lack of chutzpah, and he’s probably president of his self admiration society. The pressers will be way more glib. Offense should be a better scheme, but who wouldn’t provide that? Wins — now that’s still sure up in the air…

• gianthead said, on January 10, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Hugh Jackman as coach….that’s pretty cool mate…

• blade3colorado said, on January 10, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Agree that this hire is not very inspired. That being said, if he does get the job, I am glad a black is getting an opportunity to coach at this level. If it happens, I think this supports what the Rooney Rule is trying to accomplish. I don’t know too much about Jackson, except that he has been relatively successful in his various positions (sans the Oakland head coach job, but who hasn’t been there?).

35. snarkk said, on January 10, 2016 at 3:28 pm

In a previous thread I mentioned how these sports players crazily credit God with wins and success. Here’s Kam Chancellor tweet after the Vikes missed the field goal: “Ball don’t lie.. God is amazing.” Seriously. God made the Vikes kicker miss that chip shot — why, because he’s wearing purple?…

• alleykat69 said, on January 10, 2016 at 4:16 pm

And God refused to turn the laces in for Blair..

36. Carstie Clausen said, on January 10, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Karma clips the Vikings. Been a couple-three years already but the Purple had them a kicker who was a bit pissed at the homophobia rampant in the organization. Helluva good kicker, but forgot his name. Straight dude, judging from his wife, but apparently with 21st Century attitudes. Anyway, the team canned him. Decision had to go all the way up to the team’s owner, New Jersey financier Ziggy Wolff. So they gave some big bucks to Blair Walsh, who happened to kick the most field goals in the NFL this season. But he could not bring home a short-yardage knock which most highschool kickers probably could have made.

Vikings are the Chicago Cubs of the NFL.

• zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Interesting. I’d totally forgotten about that.
      Plus Peterson has shown basically no remorse for what he did. In fact, he talks about all that HE went through last year, as if he’s the victim.

• Macdog said, on January 10, 2016 at 4:38 pm

I think it was the punter.

37. zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 4:39 pm

The team with the racist name is about to lose. Good.

38. djloo27 said, on January 10, 2016 at 4:44 pm

I think the Packers uniform pants have gotten a lot brighter and more yellow than they used to be.
    That is my in depth football analysis for today…

• Lurker John said, on January 10, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Solid work.

39. wilcojoe said, on January 10, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Green Bay’s defense came to play.

40. xoot said, on January 10, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Every year I recall this old KFAT staple from the 70s.

41. unca_chuck said, on January 10, 2016 at 6:18 pm

I’m fine with Hue Jackson as the HC. He’s a no-nonsense coach who has a strong offensive philosophy. Of the rest out there, Chudzinski is about the only one that I’d consider. Payton was off the table, and he’s the next best alternative. No idea who he brings in but at least he has some pedigree and a plan.

42. sandog said, on January 10, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Most painful loss for me is easily 2002 Game 6. I went to Game 7 in person and I felt like Dead Man Walking going through the turnstile. I just knew there was no way to come back off the mat from that.

For some reason, I am not as down on Solomon Torres as most Giants fans. Don’t get me wrong, the end of that season was a helluva kick in the gut, but I never took it out so much on him. I mean shit, we won 103 games and didn’t make the playoffs. Kinda hard for me to point the finger at one guy in that situation.

Loo, that Chiefs loss to the Dolphins was one of the first games I can ever remember watching and I believe is the genesis of me becoming a Chiefs fan. I can remember being devastated.
    I think you are onto something with the Packers uni’s. I’m always telling people that the Vikings used to be a deeper shade of purple and that the Chiefs had a darker, more blood red look to their uni’s. I get strange looks when I go into my NFL uniform color shading takes.

WillieD–I watched a game with Adrian Branch doing color the other day and I really liked him too—though I am partial to Maryland guys from the Lefty Driessel era.
    By the way, my JV is undefeated, but we have a tough one tomorrow. I got a good influx of 9th grade talent and I think I’m getting a little better at planning practices and teaching the guys.

ps The JT Snow getting hosed at the plate to end the series versus the Marlins would be in my top 5 of painful losses as well. God, I loved me some JT Snow.

43. ewisco said, on January 10, 2016 at 6:48 pm

lord knows i hated me some bullshit pass interference call in the end zone against washington (though if the offense shows up at ALL in the first three quarters it’s a non-factor), and i hated the craig fumble and i hated game 6 and the fucking crime dog still pisses me off, there were two events i was at that i still struggle with: one was stanford at cal, you know which game, and the playoff loss to the fucking mets when JT went deep to tie it. the place went beyond bonkers. i don’t think i ever was at an event where the crowd just went berserk like that. and then to lose? to lose? how the fuck did that happen? we all just walked out of there in an uncomprehending daze.

• djloo27 said, on January 10, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Great stuff, you guys. This was the most berserk crowd reaction I was ever a part of and it wasn’t even for the Cup, just the semi-final:

People were hugging, falling over into the next aisle on top of each other. Plenty of unintentional blood and bruises. Didn’t matter. (Sorry, MacDog)

44. Lurker John said, on January 10, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Didn’t the Rangers win the Cup that year against the Canucks? That was a long championship drought that was broken and a lot of pent up frustration vented for the fans. Rangers were really good that year, Mark Messier, et al. Great moment in that video, beating the Devils no less.

• djloo27 said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Only 54 years, LJ.
      Now we’re at 1 in 75…

45. mrsprtdude said, on January 10, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Game 6. Not even close. I was down for weeks after. Went to game 7 with a fans hope, even though I knew we would lose.

Craig I agree with you though..I still haven’t forgiven RC. We were a lock for 1st and only 3peat ever…

Zumie..Giant WS drought from 1962-2002 40 years. Dodgers working on 28 years. Lets hope they get to 40:)

• zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Don’t forget ’89, though we want to. ๐Ÿ™‚

• zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:57 pm

The longest drought was ’62-’89, 27 years. The Dodgers passed us with 28 years.

46. mrsprtdude said, on January 10, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Ewisco..I was at the JT game vs mets too. I can’t prove it to you guys but the greatest moment of my sports life. JT was on the bench because Lieter started. I called the exact sequence of how the Giants would tie it in between innings and was kinda loud about it after a few beers. Guys sitting around my dad and I were even crazier than the rest:)
    I’d imagine the instant crazyness of the Travis Ishikawa homer surpassed it…

• ewisco said, on January 10, 2016 at 9:45 pm

mr dude, i imagine that the ishi homer outdid the JT one but i’ve never been at a more insane moment. and i think that what made it so intense was that everybody had that expectation, not to belittle your moment of prognostication. my buddies and i were SURE that he would do it. and then when he did . . .

• zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 10:05 pm

That game is one of the chapters in Baggs’ new book. That series seemed to fly by. It’s amazing how quickly a playoff series can seem to go by, like the blink of an eye, if it’s a losing series.

47. zumiee said, on January 10, 2016 at 10:12 pm

For an ‘honorable mention’ of tough losses, how about Game 6 of the ’87 playoff series vs. the Cards. A heartbreaking 1-0 loss that forced a Game 7, which ended in disaster.
    It’s been nice to defeat the Cards in the playoffs several times since then.

48. Paul Sorensen said, on January 10, 2016 at 11:16 pm

David Bowie. That’s a bit of a tough loss….

• zumiee said, on January 11, 2016 at 3:55 am

Shocking news.

• chipower9 said, on January 11, 2016 at 5:24 am

Horrible news. How very sad. RIP Ziggy Stardust and Major Tom…

49. blade3colorado said, on January 11, 2016 at 8:08 am

RIP David Bowie. Off topic . . . I always like to see if movies are available online after they just open and it’s amazing how often they are. I watched the Revenant with Leonardo DiCappio in HD last night. If you have a big screen TV and HDMI cable, the experience is much better obviously. Not certain the link will still work – they often take them down after a few days – but enjoy for you guys that don’t visit the cinema much.

• blade3colorado said, on January 11, 2016 at 8:12 am

By the by, if you look to your right at this link, the new Star Wars is available as well, albeit, I have not watched it at this link, so no idea if it works (I saw it at the movies with a friend a couple of weeks ago).

• wilcojoe said, on January 11, 2016 at 8:13 am

I hadn’t heard of any of the movies that were nominated for Best Picture. But that one looks pretty good. Same with The Spotlight.

• blade3colorado said, on January 11, 2016 at 8:16 am

I wasn’t too impressed with the new Star Wars. It seemed like a “redux” of the 1977 original movie. Almost seemed like Disney played it safe with their new franchise.

• unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2016 at 8:58 am

Yeah, it really did mirror the first one.

Spoiler alert.—>

They really set up the whole “there’s good in him” thing with Han’s son to make it obvious to me (spoiler) that Han was gonna die. Andhe girl has to be related to Luke.

50. wilcojoe said, on January 11, 2016 at 8:11 am

Sad to hear of the passing of Bowie. I got my Ziggy Stardust playlist going all day in remembrance.

Did I hear correctly, that Vegas has the Giants favored to win the World Series?

51. chipower9 said, on January 11, 2016 at 8:16 am

Worst loss…there are a few that sting. The Craig fumble and subsequent Niner loss was huge, but the biggest for me was 2002 – game 6. I can still remember Dusty coming out and handing the ball to Ortiz. And there were stories of how Willie was in the clubhouse with the chilled champagne.

52. wilcojoe said, on January 11, 2016 at 8:31 am

I forgot that I was at the Astros-Royals Game 5 in Houston where the ‘Stros blew the lead in the seventh inning. That was the most deflated I have ever seen a crowd in person. When Correa hit his second homer of the game, I don’t think I have ever heard a crowd so loud. By the end of the seventh inning, you could hear a crackerjack drop.

53. willedav said, on January 11, 2016 at 8:48 am

Zum, that Baggs book sounds interesting.
    I was in Mel’s Bowl in Redwood City watching the Snow HR game while my Co. had a vendor seminar in room off the bar. I was a mgmt. guy who should have been there but grabbed a beer and went inside the alley to watch game and people bowl instead.
    When Snow homered off Benitez place went wild. After meeting ended our people came in and bowled and asked what happened.

Didn’t Darryl Hamilton get the hit that burned Giants as Mets rallied? I couldn’t believe Sabes signed Benitez afterward, one of his worst moves ever.
    Wasn’t Hamilton involved in deal to get Ellis Burks?

SanDawg—nice going man, good luck with team. You are setting foundation for success of program, hope you have some real keepers for varsity.

54. Flavor said, on January 11, 2016 at 8:49 am

It’s probably because of 3/6 but the 2002 let down doesn’t still sting. Maybe it did at the time and it’s just faded away

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 11, 2016 at 9:28 am

3in6 [doesn’t 3in5 sound better?] did erase a lot of that sting

#4in7

55. pawliekokonuts said, on January 11, 2016 at 9:27 am

My first thought was the loss in the 2002 WS after Russ Ortiz was removed. Easily. But maybe not. Maybe Game 7 of 1962 might top that. I say that because, like you, I had a BLACKOUT. Everyone talks about McCovey lining out to Richardson. Can’t recall it. I can recall Tom Tresh grabbing a ball that Mays hit to left. I knew it was over. Blackout.

Here’s my trip so far: http://thelaughorist.blogspot.com/2016/01/pre-iceland-phase-1.html

• chipower9 said, on January 11, 2016 at 9:53 am

Happy Trails, Pawlie. Looking forward to your future updates.

56. Flavor said, on January 11, 2016 at 10:31 am

Darren RovellVerified account
    โ€@darrenrovell
    BREAKING: FanDuel & DraftKings granted permanent stay by appellate panel in NY. Can take biz from New Yorkers throughout the appeal.

57. Flavor said, on January 11, 2016 at 10:32 am

Agree with Chi. Safe travels Kokonuts. Check back in regularly.

58. unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2016 at 11:09 am

Have fun in Iceland, Paul!

62 was before my time but 71 was bad as well. Went to game 1 and saw Perry win. Thought we were a shoo-in for the WS.

Coupled with the Niners losing against Dallas 3 years in a row, it sucked plenty.

59. Carstie Clausen said, on January 11, 2016 at 11:26 am

Iceland in January sounds totally counterintuitive, Pawlie. But i’ll betcha it was colder up here in the Northwoods yesterday morning than the air outside all those nice hotsprings and the Icelandic blondes. We bottomed out at a nifty, thrifty 31 below zero. Waaay far from a record. Back in 72 at the Ugly Duckling Farm some 120 miles eastwards i drove to work in my ’63 Impala after checking the thermometer on the farmhouse at -52 degrees. I would call that cold.

• zumiee said, on January 11, 2016 at 12:08 pm

I still remember the first line in Jack London’s short story “To Build A Fire”:
      “The day broke cold and gray, exceedingly cold and gray.” or a sentence very similar to that.
      The guy is stranded by himself in the -50 degree snowy wilderness of the Yukon, and he must get a fire built, using his numb frost-bitten hands, or he will die.

Spoiler alert:
      (he doesn’t get the fire built)

• unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2016 at 1:50 pm

lqtm . . . Used to work at a ski resort at a mountain restuarant in Colo. Had to take the sno-cat up to the restaurant at 6:00 am to get the place ready. It was regularly around -45 during those real cold snaps. The times I had to ride in the back were a bitch. During the real bad ones, the daytime high was -10.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 11, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Carstie,
      Well, that’s how they market the place. Minutes ago, stepped off the plane on an outdoor stairway into the dark, swirling snow. But I’m optimistic about the Nordic women.

60. alleykat69 said, on January 11, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Damm Mel’s Bowl Willied..
    Use to Bowl Wed Night 5 man industrial league for years there.
    Are team slammed down more drinks during and after bowling in that bar, we had a reputation, good and bad๐Ÿป
    BTW… The Mel’s Bowl Sign was saved when the Bowling alley closed down and now is used at a car wash on elcamino near across from Stacks restaurant in RC.. Think the sign says “No bowling but we will wash your balls”( just kidding,wash your car)

61. unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Yeah, used to go to Bel Mateo all the time. Bumped into Ronnie Lott, Tim McDonald, and a couple other Niners (memory fails) when I worked on Industrial in San Carlos. We’d bowl for lunch and would see them from time to time.

I was driving on 92 recently and I saw them tearing down 19 Ave bowl in San Mateo. Very sad. Tons of childhood memories at that place.

• djloo27 said, on January 11, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Imagine how I felt when they closed down Peep World near Madison Square Garden a few years ago…

• alleykat69 said, on January 11, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Probably just as hard for the guys named Tom…

• unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Yup. Broadway isn’t the same as it used to be either.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 11, 2016 at 11:34 pm

I have to say I’ve been there, but more to the one on 8th Ave and 42nd, which I think is still there!

• unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Almost as many as the Stick.

62. chipower9 said, on January 11, 2016 at 2:22 pm

And in other baseball news…

Only 37 days until pitchers and catchers report…

63. zumiee said, on January 11, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Regarding bowling, in the Gibson/Wheeler book they talk about how Denny McLain took up bowling in the off-season before the ’68 season. McLain showed up to Spring Training with a stronger lower body and right arm, from the bowling. McLain ended up pitching 300+ innings on his way to 31 regular season wins, the last pitcher to win 30. He ran out of gas in the World Series, but his teammate Lolich picked him up by winning 3 games that Series, as the Tigers defeated the Cards in 7 games. Some of those entire games are on YouTube. They’re recordings of old black and white TV broadcasts. The TV broadcasters were Curt Gowdy and Harry Carey (!). And Carey’s not bad. He hadn’t turned into a caricature of himself yet, in those days.
    I just noticed McLain’s name could make a little bowling pun, “McLane.”

• djloo27 said, on January 11, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Flood’s misplay in CF was quite a shocker. I remember being annoyed when Baseball Digest said he was a better outfielder than Mays around that time. Brock was also maligned for failing to slide on a play at the plate…

• zumiee said, on January 11, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Yeah, those were two plays that cost the Cards dearly in that Series.

64. djloo27 said, on January 11, 2016 at 5:50 pm

A little light reading…

• Flavor said, on January 11, 2016 at 7:30 pm

i might be imagining this, but I think the Giants fucked with Uribe on the way out. Leaked some personal info? Something like that. If that’s correct, I can’t believe either side would have too much interest in each other.

65. unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Something about Uribe fucking up his apartment?

• djloo27 said, on January 11, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Yes, he was known to frequently leave unwashed dishes in the sink…

66. djloo27 said, on January 11, 2016 at 8:48 pm

The NFL would review this last TD for an hour…

67. xoot said, on January 11, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Dubs vs. Heat game is gritty. Should be a good second half. As to Uribe, I think you guys are confusing Renteria and Lincecum.

68. xoot said, on January 11, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Hate to see Lane Kiffin win anything. Otherwise, hard to care. Meanwhile, the Dubs . . . .

69. djloo27 said, on January 11, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Back door cover!

• Macdog said, on January 11, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Ha, watching at work, I said we needed Al Michaels at that moment.

70. zumiee said, on January 11, 2016 at 9:34 pm

The Warriors are so slick they look like the Globetrotters sometimes, except against real defenses.

71. zumiee said, on January 11, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Speaking of defense- in college football, defenses suck.

72. pawliekokonuts said, on January 11, 2016 at 11:38 pm

At Keflavik Airport, sleek, lean, clean. And snowy. Dark. But hey it’s only 0735. Not EVERYONE is blond. Chatted up a dude who is a Niners fan at Newark. From Amsterdam. Prof in China. He had gone to a Niners game. Has been to the Stick. Crazy. Unfortunately, he had no interest in the Giants, but crazy.

• snarkk said, on January 12, 2016 at 12:13 am

Nice Pawlie.
      You are entering another world within the world. Enjoy…

• chipower9 said, on January 12, 2016 at 8:43 am

Awesome…thanks for the update Pawlie. I am sure you brought a Giant’s hat to rock Iceland’s world.

Awaiting pictures of sumptuous, gorgeous, Icelandic babes…make it so, Mr. Kokonuts!

Enjoy my friend! (BTW – I am jealous as hell, but happy for you.)

73. snarkk said, on January 11, 2016 at 11:53 pm

This is crap that great musicians and artists from my era who I grew up diggin, are dyin’ now. Not cool.
    Two different takes on Bowie. RIP to a great artist…

74. snarkk said, on January 12, 2016 at 12:25 am

And, this is cool…

75. willedav said, on January 12, 2016 at 6:42 am

45-40? Sounds like Pac 12 game broke out.
    imo this is indicative of fact they are fewer quality QBs in that part of football world.
    I’d put up Adams Hogan Goff Kessler with any conference.

Warriors game was a good one and they will face better teams from East and San Antonio soon too.
    Wade and Heat were fun to watch. As Ig said afterward, Warriors are winning the slower pace grind it out games too.

76. unca_chuck said, on January 12, 2016 at 8:30 am

Willie, that’s what is fairly amazing about the Warriors at this point. Miami played their game the best they could. And lost. The Warriors had to adjust to Miami’s half-court grind-it-out stye of play, and still beat them by 10.

77. chipower9 said, on January 12, 2016 at 8:49 am

Loo – thanks for the link from yesterday (5:50 PM). I have been doing the 25 man roster gig with a friend, and not sure how the hell I overlooked the need for one more utility guy. Uribe? Fuck, why not??? And I do not recall any bridges being burnt with Jazz Hands. Make it so. (The only apartment trashing fiasco I recall was Timmy being accused of trashing a place he was renting in the City.)

Loved this line in the article you shared:

“Uribe would fit well with the Giants Even Year Bullshit ring theory, where a fourth installment would likely circle back around and pay homage to the first episode of a trilogy…”

FOUR in SEVEN!

78. chipower9 said, on January 12, 2016 at 8:49 am

Very entertaining game between bama and Clemson yesterday. I was SO HOPING that Clemson could pull it out. Regardless, still a fun game to watch.

79. Flavor said, on January 12, 2016 at 9:08 am