Niners New Coach

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 15, 2016

I’ve softened my stance on the Chip Kelly hire mostly because I have no choice. And, the pickins were slim. If the choice was between him and the 2 AARP members I guess I’ll go with Kelly. And who knows, maybe he learned something from getting his ass fired in Philly. And come on, it’s Philly, aren’t most things dysfunctional in that sports town? Maybe Kelly just needed a fresh start.

I read somewhere that the #1 conflict resolution strategy for BOTH Kelly and Baalke is to stage a coup. I thought that was sad and also funny.

It will be an interesting season, that is for sure……

1. willedav said, on January 15, 2016 at 7:01 am

Not sure how he does it but with fewer athletes (his starting point g is terrible) Dawkins manages to beat Cal again in a game they led most of the way.
    Martin does not seem to be able to get his kids to play smart ball when not at home. They self destructed at the end, making careless turnovers and missing crucial free throws.
    It’s too bad his talented frosh guys got in foul trouble, but no one picked up slack at either end.
    Martin seems to be getting out coached in this league too, not a good sign going forward.

Mac that’s a cool story aboutT Frazier showing up at HS f-raiser for cancer stricken kid.

2. unca_chuck said, on January 15, 2016 at 8:13 am

The one thing Chips has here that he didn’t have in Philly is mobile QBs that can (hopefully) run an up-tempo offense. Both Kappy and Gabby fit that. I wonder how hard Chip tries to keep Kappy. He’s got the much bigger upside. WRs become a big commodity as well. We NEED much better guys out there than we have. All those UDFAs we have I guess we’ll see about as well.

Here’s what Torrey Smith said:

Torrey Smith ‏@TorreySmithWR 21h21 hours ago
    Guess I might have to start running right now to get in shape

Well, we all have a front-row seat to the spectacle.

3. unca_chuck said, on January 15, 2016 at 8:13 am

Then there’s the distinct possibility that Paxton Lynch is available in the draft . . .

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2016 at 8:47 am

If they draft that guy, I quit.

• unca_chuck said, on January 15, 2016 at 8:53 am

Hah! Yeha, kinda made me throw up a little just thinking about it.

I guess we’ll really see who’s making the decisions regarding personnel. But I think Goff is off the table now.

• wilcojoe said, on January 15, 2016 at 9:27 am

Agree Flav! Other than Goff, there is not one QB in this draft that I trust.

4. willedav said, on January 15, 2016 at 8:50 am

the people skills argument is ironic to me, because lack of same had a lot to do with Harbs exit, and he’s never shown he had any either and likely still doesn’t. How much did that contribute to winning? Imo this is more Madden’s “winning is the great deodorant” affect.

Now, being able to get your guys to play hard for you and stick together is something different entirely. And again, you may not be winningest coach but you get the most out of what you have.
    I always thought this was Dusty Baker’s greatest strength when he was in SF. If he gets that out of the Nats, look out.

5. Bozo said, on January 15, 2016 at 9:12 am

Sorry, I can’t trust any Coach that excepts an offer from our current organization. Well, I guess he had 24 million reasons to sign, but still…

• zumiee said, on January 15, 2016 at 9:18 am

Ha! That’s kind of like the old Groucho Marx quote: “I don’t want to be in any organization that would have somebody like me as a member.” 🙂

• Bozo said, on January 15, 2016 at 9:44 am

“That’s the most Ridiculous thing I ever heard!” 🙂

6. chipower9 said, on January 15, 2016 at 10:35 am

I am still not terribly excited about the Kelly hire, but given the slim pickings of HCs, it is what it is. As others have said, if nothing else, it will be interesting.

More importantly – only 33 days until pitchers and catchers report for your San Francisco Giants…

7. Flavor said, on January 15, 2016 at 10:45 am

Michael David Smith
    ‏@MichaelDavSmith
    Vontaze Burfict may single-handedly keep the Steelers out of the Super Bowl. He injured Antonio Brown, Le’Veon Bell and Ben Roethlisberger.

• wilcojoe said, on January 15, 2016 at 11:17 am

I am still nervous about Big Ben having a big game. He is either the toughest QB or the biggest hypochondriac in NFL history. It seems like the dude always plays his best when he is hurt.

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2016 at 11:27 am

he’s running out of guys to give the ball to. I am fading Pitt pretty hard. Denver D is gonna be geeked up and rhet to go.

8. djloo27 said, on January 15, 2016 at 10:46 am

Supposedly Orioles have offered Cespedes 5 years at somewhere between $75-$90 million.
    How could the Giants not be interested at that price?

9. Irish Kevin said, on January 15, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Back to baseball, has anyone seen this?

• ewisco said, on January 15, 2016 at 1:55 pm

nice article. weird how close the stats are over the last four years. boch will start angel, but where he hits him will be interesting.

• chipower9 said, on January 15, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Had not. My only comment is that they failed to consider starter vs. sub splits. Here is how those break down:

Pagan:
      Starter: .283, .333, .411, .744
      Sub: .214, .241, .286, .527

Blanco:
      Starter: .261, .347, .349, .696
      Sub: .277, .350, .403, .753

A majority of Pagan’s games played have been as a starter, and he takes great pride in that. Plus his numbers as a starter are significantly better than when he subs.

The opposite is true of Blanco. He has been more accustomed to subbing for the Giants (unless a starter is injured), and his numbers are quite a bit better when he subs as opposed to starting.

If Pagan is healthy, IMO he should be the starter, and Blanco the 4th OFer who gives Pagan a spell when he needs a day off.

• snarkk said, on January 15, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Spot on, totally agree. Start Pagan until / unless he can’t go; Blanco subs…

10. alleykat69 said, on January 15, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Agree,
    I don’t mine Pagan starting and he will cause the Giants aren’t about to eat his contract, but it should be in LF not CF. Span is far superior then Pagan at this stage of their careers and it only benefits the Giants and Pagan if he switches cause LF should be less wear and tear on his fragile body.
    Blanco always will be especially in the Giants brain trust a 4th outfielder but a valuable chip to hold..

11. zumiee said, on January 15, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Obama is just the coolest.

12. snarkk said, on January 16, 2016 at 1:43 am

Belt filed for arbitration at $7.5 million; Giants at $5.3 million…

13. willedav said, on January 16, 2016 at 8:12 am

Front page story in Chron with SF Supes Avalos and Kim complaining the City not getting good enough deal from NFL over hosting Bowl. Argument mostly over reimbursement (or lack of same) for police fire svcs, etc.

Some of the more progressive Supes can be off putting. Kim reminds me of high maintenance gals I sometimes meet in store—nice to look at, but once you hear them talk you cringe because they are asking for the impossible to be anywhere near satisfied.

14. willedav said, on January 16, 2016 at 8:17 am

Hey Mac: any fallout from Monmouth-Iona post game dust up? vid on cbs site clearly shows Iona guy shoving a hand in face of Monmouth player. Too bad, must have been a great game with both teams over 100 and Ms ending long home winning streak with road W.