Coin Flip

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 17, 2016

I’m not sure how you flip a coin in the air and it doesn’t flip. How does that happen? Maybe if you spin it like a frisbee? Seems to me it would still flip over when it hit the ground. But maybe that’s one of the rules, it has to flip in the air. Either way, the *coin toss* has proven in recent years to be too difficult of a task for field umpires to execute. Maybe they need to go to a *guess what number I’m thinking? Closest guess gets to pick.” That couldn’t be much worse than the freaking coin failing to flip.

Anyway, the laws of physics took a hit yesterday…..

That was a pretty epic game. Bummed I have to miss the 2 today but I’ll be re-freshing my phone like a boss at this all-day volleyball tourney I have to go to……

1. unca_chuck said, on January 17, 2016 at 8:54 am

What i thought was cool is they had a camera on the coin flip, and the coin really didn’t flip.

Weird… If AZ had lost the toss after that, it would have been insane. They would have had to develop a coin flipping machine to bring out for coin flips

2. willedav said, on January 17, 2016 at 9:44 am

Only saw last GB series of game, Rodgers running around, twice and completing bombs to keep season alive.
    Before the td my buddy said, “You know what the play is.” I said, “Yeah. You go long.”

He had an interesting idea tho–on D, why not put 1 or 2 of your taller wideouts in there to defend the end zone hail mary? These are guys with hands (unlike most DBs) and an instinct to go up and catch the ball.

• alleykat69 said, on January 17, 2016 at 11:06 am

Yeah coaches are dumbshits at the end of games Willied.
      Detroit did the same thing by not putting Calvin Johnson in on Rodgers other “Hail Mary”
      Shit,doesn’t that have to be a record ,2 Hail Mary’s in 1 season???

3. wilcojoe said, on January 17, 2016 at 10:45 am

Carolina looks unstoppable!

4. alleykat69 said, on January 17, 2016 at 11:00 am

Jesus these refs don’t even have the ability to get thumb and wrist pressure technique down to flip a coin???
    Happy right now that Seattle is getting their “Asses Kicked” right now 24-0!!
    Petey and his bunch of thugs are frustrated as hell right now as the Panthers are ” bitch slapping” all over the field!!!

5. willedav said, on January 17, 2016 at 11:11 am

Touchdown Carolina 31-0, yeah!

Seachickens are like vampires tho with amazing comebacks. Until you drive a stake through their heart and game is over, I’m not celebrating.

You know Flav, I’ve lost countless decent b-ball players with bright future in middle school to full time v-ball in high school. They’ve turned their backs on friends and a sport they used to do well at to play year round vb.

WTF is it about these coaches (and parents) that steer kids to play one sport for the rest of their school life? 99.9% of them are not going to play any college ball, just like any public school b-ball kid, unless it’s at a small school where their academics would get them in anyway. So what is it with all the time money et al spent concentrating on one physical activity year round?

I’ve even told b-ball kids inclined to do the same to play less and work on conditioning their body more.

• Flavor said, on January 17, 2016 at 12:15 pm

well, the 2 sports have similarities but they also have huge differences. Katie, for instance, really enjoys the pace of the VB game vs basketball and the cheers they do after every point and all that shit. Plus, she’s not really down with unexpected contact like you get in soccer and basketball. And, she’s just better at VB. But goddamn, these weekends can get looooong.

6. willedav said, on January 17, 2016 at 12:07 pm

sunny beach. Half the 3rd Q and they’ve already got almost half of deficit back.

7. Macdog said, on January 17, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Now down 7. Good thing Carroll passed up a FG in the 2nd quarter.

• Macdog said, on January 17, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Ooops, down 10.

• willedav said, on January 17, 2016 at 12:57 pm

still Caro hasn’t scored in forever and their inability to make short 3rd down conversions and run more time off clock isn’t good.

8. xoot said, on January 17, 2016 at 1:24 pm

I’m very impressed with how Marshawn has turned out. He’ll take his place with the other Oakland Tech greats. Otherwise, I just don’t like the Seahawks, esp that coach of theirs. Enjoyable to see them lose. Cam Newton looks like a helluva team leader.

9. zumiee said, on January 17, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Please, some team defeat New England in the playoffs. Brady with 5 Super Bowl rings doesn’t sit well with me. 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on January 17, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Me? I want Tom fucking Brady in the Super Bowl . . . and then have team “fill in the blank” do a beat down on this asshole and his team.

10. xoot said, on January 17, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Darren Ford and Mike Kickham, both returned to the Giants minor league system this weekend.

11. willedav said, on January 18, 2016 at 7:30 am

Brady to me is lot less objectionable than P Manning or Roth tho most everyone I know dislikes him and his team a lot. It just seems betting against him doesn’t work out too well.

Daily updates on Cespedes clog up sports websites, with varying reports on who might be in/how much the deal is. Realistically, what would you offer the guy if you were SF?

I dunno how you gauge what he could do going forward, but a season like last year seems highly unlikely.
    4-5 years at $90 plus and I think he could be the next A Soriano—way overpaid with limited skill set as he gets older and untradeable.

• eddacker said, on January 18, 2016 at 8:31 am

It is fun watching him throw home from the deep outfield grass. So what is that worth?
      Other than that I am somewhat under impressed. And more concerned about the return/performance of several of our current starters.

12. willedav said, on January 18, 2016 at 8:31 am

I guess my antipathy to paying for Cespedes is that I think the Giants can win without a power bat in the LU.
    With a healthy Span in CF plus return to full strength of Panik and Belt their LU is solid even if Pagan is still in it. tho I’d rather see Blanco in LF (batting 8th if necessary).

Giants were 12th in league last year in HRs—and no worse than 5th in every other important category including runs (5th) hits BA doubles and triples, OB and slugging. Proof enough for me they don’t need a 30 HR guy to score enough runs to win, esp with pitching and defense to go along with it.

13. giants54 said, on January 18, 2016 at 8:43 am

I just don’t think Cespedes would seriously consider SF. He doesn’t want to come West and he certainly doesn’t want to hit in ATT when he has options. Giants would have to massively overpay to lure him.

14. blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2016 at 9:49 am

I just read a Fangraphs analysis of Chris Davis and he sure sounds like he might be the next Ryan Howard.

Chris Davis and the Uh-Oh Comparison
    Player Ages BB% K% wRC+ ISO HR/FB% IFFB% Contact%
    Chris Davis 27 – 29 12% 31% 140 0.292 28% 4% 68%
    Ryan Howard 27 – 29 13% 29% 132 0.299 29% 2% 66%

• djloo27 said, on January 18, 2016 at 10:26 am

He might be the next Moe Howard…

• blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2016 at 10:52 am

Yep, quite possible Loo.

15. unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2016 at 10:47 am

Yeah, forget Cespy. Line drive hitters are fine. When Aoki and Pagan were healthy the line was moving and the runs came. Just got to have Pence healthy for the year.

16. unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2016 at 10:58 am

And one of these years, Belt will go 25/100.

• djloo27 said, on January 18, 2016 at 11:25 am

Maybe so, but for what team?

17. blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2016 at 11:18 am

Question (and I would like opinions) – Do you think most NL Teams are trying to win this season? By that, I mean they are either taking steps to rebuild, where they are contenders either this season or in 2-3 seasons. To assist in your opinion, here are two view points . . . Jayson Stark who thinks the NL is a mess and quotes one AL executive as stating, “. . . the whole system is screwed up, because I think it actually incentivizes not winning. And that’s a big issue going forward.” On the opposite side of the issue is Grant Brisbee, who thinks “Rebuilding shouldn’t be a dirty word around baseball.”

Here are their opinions in detail:

Stark – http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14568028/odd-troubling-state-national-league

Brisbee – http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2016/1/15/10775748/brewers-astros-reds-braves-phillies-rebuilding-mlb

• blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2016 at 11:20 am

By the by, I think a few teams are tanking, including the Sherpas, Reds, and Brewers predominantly.

• snarkk said, on January 18, 2016 at 11:36 am

Good article by Stark. Really like that guy. Not sure you can stop “tanking”, even in baseball where first round picks are a crapshoot. You’ve got to tank like the ‘Stros for a string of years to get a bunch of top picks, so at least some will pan out. They probably should change the revenue sharing method, so you don’t have teams like the A’s making lots of dough, fielding no names with low payrolls, and pocketing profits, while their fans get regularly screwed with turnstyle lineups and not much to root for except “the future”…

• Bozo said, on January 18, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Yes I think some Franchises are more interested in the revenue sharing (or whatever MLB calls it) but I don’t see it as exclusive to the NL. It seems to me that most of the losing teams of late are because of a true rebuild or just a failed franchise philosophy. For example, teams like the Phillies and Braves have had very competitive teams recently and both look to me like they’re in rebuild mode (although I admit I’ve scratched my head at some of the moves). Some teams become saddled by poor contract decisions and draft picks. Some teams will be spenders one year but if that doesn’t work right away they shift gears and become sellers by the end of the year (San Diego should have taken the team to Disneyland after winning the winter season last year).
      Some teams like the Brewers, Indians, Orioles and Marlins for example, just try and do enough to put a few butts in the seats and a team like the A’s probably just doesn’t give a shit, well, except for the turds their few fans have to float in. Still, one could argue that a mediocre franchise can be turned around with the right team philosophy and look to the Pirates and Astros as recent examples.
      So all in all, I just don’t see the NL, as a league, tanking it anymore than the AL. To me this sounds more like an argument someone would use to try and get the DH into the NL.

• xoot said, on January 18, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Mlb encouraged Houston to tank for a few years as payback (in draft picks and unspent revenue sharing) for the new owners debt commitment and agreement to move to the AL. The new owners, however, held up their end of the deal and really did build a team and, apparently, did revive the fan base. The a’s don’t pay back. Beane has said that he likes the Houston model. Of course, what he means is he likes the benefits of tanking, not the responsibility to the leagues. Wolff/Fisher/Beane/Saperstein (the guys in the group I’m aware of) are execrable owners. I suppose it’s possible that other teams have learned only half the Houston lesson.

18. unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2016 at 12:53 pm

This would be a lot more successful in football. Draft choices pan out MUCH better than in baseball.

You can count on one hand first round draft choices in baseball that come in immediately and have a big impact. Say, in the last 75 years. Even the best guys drafted in the first round have to play in the minors for 2-4 years before they even struggle to break the ML roster. Interesting point by Stark is that ONE 1st round pick (Ken Griffey) has made it to the HOF.

In football, most first rounders make the team and immediately get playing time if not go one to stellar careers.

In basketball, since there’s only 5 guys out there, a great pick CAN shift the tide of your team immediately.

Tanking in baseball for, say 10-12 years is about the only way to make this pay off, but really, there are better ways to go about this. I guess Houston is a good example as Snarkk said, but look at San Dawg for the flip-side to this. They went all-in last season (winning the preseason) and getting shit results.

The obvious choice to build a team is to use both methods to effectively to build a team. The A’s? Fuck ’em. They are their own worst enemy. Sure they should stay, but Oakland is a harder place to figure shit out than SF.

In 3 years Oakland may not have ANY sports teams in their neighborhood. Shame, but the owners of the A’s and Raiders are trying as hard as hell to get out of Dodge, and the fans are bearing the brunt. The Dubs are on their way to greener pastures in a couple years as well.

• xoot said, on January 18, 2016 at 1:50 pm

The list of number one picks seems more impressive over the past 15 years than before. Chipper Jones and ARod are coming along after Griffey, but otherwise the 1990s were sort of uneven. I wonder if the stat revolution has made an impact. Also, obviously, the Giants made a lot out of their relatively high picks during the down side of the Bonds era.

• zumiee said, on January 18, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Griffey, Jr. is the first #1 player taken in the draft to make it to the Hall of Fame, not the only first rounder in the Hall.
      But still….it does say a lot that only one guy taken first overall in the draft has made it to the Hall so far.

• unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2016 at 3:20 pm

I thought that’s what I said but it came out wrong. . .

• xoot said, on January 18, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Not really. Only 310 former players are in the HOF, right? More than 1200 players got drafted last year alone. And the draft only covers the US and PR since 1965. And, as I noted, Chipper Jones and ARod are following Junior. At least one of them will make the HOF. 😉 And finally the number one picks of the past 10-15 years have been pretty good. Technology assisted, I suspect.

• xoot said, on January 18, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Sorry. 312 since Junior and juicer Piazza got elected.

19. Macdog said, on January 18, 2016 at 2:17 pm

The Pirates are another one, they’re good now, but how many years were they tanking and still making money with their ridiculously low payroll?

• unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2016 at 2:29 pm

To say they were intentionally tanking is to disavow the extreme stupidity of their front office.

I mean really. Bobby Bonilla is still getting paid. . .

• Macdog said, on January 18, 2016 at 3:29 pm

I think the Mets are the ones still paying Bonilla.

• unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Yeah, yer right. Another sketch move by another wonky front office. And my wonky memory . . .

Bobby Bo gets paid til 2035 . . .

20. Flavor said, on January 18, 2016 at 2:56 pm

I got an email from Denny titled “Freedom of Speech” wanting to know why he was banned for using the N-word. That dumb motherfucker has no clue as to what freedom of speech means.

• djloo27 said, on January 18, 2016 at 3:39 pm

On MLK Day? DMD has uncanny timing…

• unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Weird what’s happening to him. He seems to have blown through crazy town on his way to psycho city.

• djloo27 said, on January 18, 2016 at 3:51 pm

You’re right, Chuck. I can see him in my rear-view mirror…

• unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Don’t look back. He might be gaining on you.

• snarkk said, on January 18, 2016 at 3:46 pm

The misunderstanding of the 1st amendment freedom of speech is country-wide. Amazing how people blogging think they have the “right” to say anything they want on blogs run by private businesses, not government, and go crazy with 1st amendment anger when a moderator deletes it…

21. unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2016 at 3:19 pm

He started flaming me on facebook messaging the other day.

22. zumiee said, on January 18, 2016 at 4:24 pm

More sad news in the music world. Glen Frey of the Eagles has passed away after a long illness.

• unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Damn! That’s too bad. Great band. They were on fire in the 70s.

Yet Keith Richards lives on. How many deals can you make with the devil?

• djloo27 said, on January 18, 2016 at 5:05 pm

I’d say about 3 in 5 years…

23. xoot said, on January 18, 2016 at 5:28 pm

“I hate the fuckin Eagles, man!” Still, RIP.

• xoot said, on January 18, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Eagles first hit was Train Leaves Here This Morning. Earlier, Bernie Leadon gave that song to Dillard and Clark and they did a great version of it. Then Bernie sold out and joined the Eagles and they did a slick soulless version of the song. (Compare the two, they’re on YouTube.) I hate the fuckin Eagles, man.

24. zumiee said, on January 18, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Warriors kicking some Cav booty.

25. Macdog said, on January 18, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Warriors-Cavs looks like a Rutgers score (and check out their game from tonight).

26. snarkk said, on January 18, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Dubs absolutely destroyed Cavs,
    34 point beat down, and it wasn’t that close…

• Flavor said, on January 18, 2016 at 7:53 pm

they’ll still get no respect. Here’s an an example of a tweet that came out before the game. I think this guy is the NBA media somewhere:
      Vern Thompson ‏@VernThompsonNBA 8h8 hours ago
      The Cavs will make a statement tonight against the Golden State Warriors. I can’t stress enough that they’re not as good as their hype.

27. willedav said, on January 18, 2016 at 7:52 pm

So LeBron lost here short handed and at home at full strength. Hmmnn…East teams are lot better as a whole, but Warriors biggest challenge I still think would be getting out of the West past San Antonio.

Maybe Cavs should play someone else on Holidays.

• Flavor said, on January 18, 2016 at 7:54 pm

SA is scary. And of course because of stupid NBA scheduling we don’t get to see them play in the reg season till the end of the year when they will probably rest everyone.

28. Flavor said, on January 18, 2016 at 7:55 pm

and this…. God this guy is a dumbass
    Vern Thompson ‏@VernThompsonNBA 3h3 hours ago
    The Cleveland Cavaliers will comfortably beat the Golden State Warriors tonight! A 10+ point victory. Just wait on it.

29. Flavor said, on January 18, 2016 at 7:57 pm

this guy was on a roll pre-game:
    Vern Thompson ‏@VernThompsonNBA 7h7 hours ago
    Vern Thompson Retweeted King Delly
    I would never put Steph Curry and LeBron James in the same category. Ones a shooter, and one is an all-around MVP.

30. Flavor said, on January 18, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Vern Thompson ‏@VernThompsonNBA 7h7 hours ago
    Cavs took GSW to 6 games in the Finals without Kyrie and K Love…that’s like the Warriors without Steph and Draymond. They’d get swept…

31. Flavor said, on January 18, 2016 at 7:58 pm

last one:
    Vern Thompson ‏@VernThompsonNBA 8h8 hours ago
    Cavs lost on Christmas to the Warriors by just 6 points while shooting their worst percentage of the season. Plus, Kyrie is healthy now.

32. zumiee said, on January 18, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Vern Thompson now:
    (crickets)

33. xoot said, on January 18, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Curry got a lot of rest after making his statement. Draymond got a lot of admiring commentary from the nat’l broadcasters (Marv A and maybe Reggie). Meanwhile, Lebron spent the last 10 minutes of the game shouting at a Cavs coach. What a great response to the their last game from the Dubs.

34. djloo27 said, on January 18, 2016 at 8:22 pm

“Dubs” is such a shit nickname. Is it so exhausting to say “Warriors”?

• Macdog said, on January 18, 2016 at 8:30 pm

I really like the G’s chances this season.

• djloo27 said, on January 18, 2016 at 8:36 pm

LULZ!!!

35. xoot said, on January 18, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Yikes. We’re down to bedrock now. I hate the fucking Eagles, man.

36. djloo27 said, on January 18, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Upton’s a Tiger: 6/$132 with an opt out after 2 years if I read it right…

• Flavor said, on January 19, 2016 at 7:44 am

he ain’t opting out of shit…..
      by the way, good call on Dubs nickname. It’s grown to irritate me too ever since you called us out on using it.