Mets

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 27, 2016

The Mets kept Big Cespy and that was quite a move by them. Renting him went well. Why not keep renting him? Sure, he can opt out after the first year but if he did that it’s probably because he had another big year. This is a good example of a team getting the best out of a player currently playing rather than paying for what they’ve already done.

With that pitching staff maturing another year, the Mets look quite imposing going into 2016.

1. chipower9 said, on January 27, 2016 at 6:55 am

Only 21 days until pitchers and catchers report…

2. chipower9 said, on January 27, 2016 at 6:56 am

Yes, the Mets do look good at this point. It is almost time for baseball!

3. blade3colorado said, on January 27, 2016 at 7:09 am

Yeah, I like this deal too. According to Heyman, he also had a long term offer from Washington. The Nats’ offer to Cespedes reached $110M and included an opt-out too. However, it also contain significant deferrals too. Consequently, I think he made the right choice. I forgot who the other 2 players are (maybe ARod and Hamilton), but Cespedes annual salary is in the top 3 for position players. Not bad at all . . .

Question – how many knuckleheads maximum can a basketball team have where it interferes with them getting an NBA title? I just read this column about Blake Griffin and the author thinks you can only have 1 maximum (exception being the Lakers with Bynum and Metta World Peace). Sounds about right . . . How fondly (not) I remember Latrell Sprewell and Chris Washburn. Washburn while with the Hawks, was asked by the media on how he felt about the team playing an exhibition game in the Soviet Union. Washburn snarled “Russia? I ain’t going to no Russia!”

• wilcojoe said, on January 27, 2016 at 8:45 am

“Russia? I ain’t going to no Russia!”

I think that’s what Paulie said when Rocky agreed to fight Ivan Drago.

4. Bozo said, on January 27, 2016 at 7:12 am

And here I thought the bigger signing by the Mets, was getting Colon to round out that rotation.

Sticking with the NY theme, how about them Yankees? For the first time since Free Agency began, they didn’t sign one.

5. Flavor said, on January 27, 2016 at 7:16 am

Kobe was just a joke last night. He’s not playing but he still kicked Larry Nance Jr off the bench to the floor so he could sit down. Then Dirk hits the game winner in front of the Laker bench and Kobe is patting him on the ass and nodding his head in approval. I get it, he was acknowledging Dirk’s studness. It just seems to me that Kobe could care less about winning and losing and only about this stupid ass goodbye tour. Again, if I am a Laker fan I wouldn’t be tolerating this bullshit.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 27, 2016 at 8:19 am

Kobe’s such a douche. He’s probably reviewing footage of Jordan’s farewell tours so he can figure out how to act.

• blade3colorado said, on January 27, 2016 at 9:13 am

Yeah, I can’t stand this guy. By the by, Bryant assigned himself the nickname of “Black Mamba,” not the media or anyone else. I find that hilarious. Somehow, this asshole had me convinced that Shaq was the bad guy when they played together . . . Lo and behold, after his rape of the hotel worker, I started paying attention to this dick head. The 2 year, $48 million plus contract he strong armed the Lakers into giving him and his farewell tour only confirms he is one of the biggest douche bags to have played in the NBA. Good riddance after this season.

7. willedav said, on January 27, 2016 at 8:27 am

Opt out does bring a different aspect to contract equation, esp the length of them. You could certainly argue LA got best 3 yrs out of Greinke, and I think Mets would get best years out of Cespedes should he stay.
    Even if he has another great season(doubtful imo) I can’t see another team offering a long term 5 yr deal like what he turned down from Nats.

• chipower9 said, on January 27, 2016 at 8:52 am

I don’t think we will know if the bums got the best out of Greinke until we see how he does with the snakes. I think the dude can still deal…time will tell.

• unca_chuck said, on January 27, 2016 at 11:54 am

Of course the downside of being stuck on the Nats for 5 years is huge.

I’m sure there are certain teams that players think “fuck that”

8. Lurker John said, on January 27, 2016 at 8:45 am

Have pitchers and catchers reported yet?! Shit!!

• chipower9 said, on January 27, 2016 at 8:52 am

21 days for Los Gigantes, LJ! 😉

9. Carstie Clausen said, on January 27, 2016 at 9:10 am

As for the Mets, yes they are a threat to October. Didja know they have the second highest proportion of home-grown talent on their roster? Who is #1 in that category? Guesses 3-30 do not count.

10. alleykat69 said, on January 27, 2016 at 11:58 am

Besides checking out Beede,Arroyo in ST, their’s another potential hot shot with a killer name RHP Samuel Coonrod, how can you not like that name!
    Also a Catcher they like with some power, cannon arm, needs work behind the plate, but a possible future find named Aramis Garcia..

• zumiee said, on January 27, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Was Coonrod the guy that pitched in the Arizona Fall League, and hit 100 on the radar gun? I can’t remember if he’s the guy.

11. Flavor said, on January 27, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Dan Back ‏@dan_back 1m1 minute ago
    62-1 the DFS bill passed the California Assembly.

• zumiee said, on January 27, 2016 at 2:23 pm

With the way politics works, I have no doubt that DFS blanketed the Calif. legislature with campaign donations.

• snarkk said, on January 27, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Fanduel and DK probably gave all 62 of em 2500 in free plays…

• xoot said, on January 27, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Cynics. I’m sure the DFS lobbyists provided only first-rate data and information in their lawfully persuasive presentations to the elected representatives of the people. In fact, I’ll bet the lobbyists settled into their digs at Greasy Palms Resort, not far from the Capitol, and just did their job.

12. pawliekokonuts said, on January 27, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Which Cespy are they getting, is the big sombrero; I mean big question. Speaking of sombreros, remember us flappers sporting ’em at AT&T? After zumiee walked me to Mission, to take a long bus ride to my airbnb spot in the Mission, I took off my sombrero while on the bus. Somehow, an old gringo wearing a sombrero on a bus filled with people who possibly had real sombreros at home, seemed, well, wrong.

13. xoot said, on January 27, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Cespedes isn’t worth the money the metropolitans have promised him and he wouldn’t’ve fit in SF.

Olympics. Anyone else concerned about the Zika virus? In El Salvador, where the virus is just beginning to spread, the government has asked all women to avoid getting pregnant until 2018. Is that desperate enough? In Brazil, where the spread has gone on for a full year, things must be worse. How the hell will women athletes feel flying into Rio for the games? (The horrible bacterial and amoebic water pollution seems like a minor problem, now.) Harrison Barnes, Draymond Green, Stephen Curry and DeMarcus Cousins are among the players slated for the Dream Team this time around. Somewhere someone must be taking bets on who’ll quit that team.