Pa(Gone) Again

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 30, 2016

Fanfest is coming up. February 13th. Pagan is missing his third straight. This is big news here. Do ANY of you care that Angel Pagan isn’t making the trek from Puerto Rico to come to freaking Fanfest?

I think Pagan should do whatever he wants to do. It’s not like he’s hanging out in a condo overlooking Super Bowl city. He’s in Puerto Rico. With a family. I think his wife recently had another baby. And he’s got that baseball clinic he does for all the poor kids in his town.

And now he’s getting shit because he won’t come to a 1 day jackoff session at AT&T that is more merchandise-driven than it is fan-driven?

Screw that.

I’m missing my 3rd straight fanfest too and you don’t see the media around here up in arms about that. But who knows, we still have a couple of weeks to go for them to whip into an angry lather about the “Flavor Snubs Fanfest” non-story……

1. willedav said, on January 30, 2016 at 7:34 am

Much as I dislike he is still a Giant, Pagan gets a pass on this one.

But I’d still like to know what he thinks about being full time LFer and if that really is Giants braintrust plan.
    Also where he would hit in projected Giants LU Span Panik Duffy Posey Pence Belt Craw.

Btw, “Flavor Snubs BBOTD” not a non-story.
    I’d even settle for an update on Anna (Daisy too).

2. unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2016 at 7:45 am

Last one i went to was in 2010. My girls went in 2011, said it was nutso.

• xoot said, on January 30, 2016 at 2:45 pm

That was the one my kid slept at the gate for. KTVU woke him up at 5 am with a news camera crew for an interview. He hasn’t been back. Life lesson, I suppose.

3. willedav said, on January 30, 2016 at 7:47 am

wow
    dunno what’s more surprising
    Serena losing the tennis final to Kerber (good player funny outfit)
    Serena being gracious and respectful about it

4. Carstie Clausen said, on January 30, 2016 at 7:49 am

Fanfest blather is just about the archetype of molding molehills into Everests. You nailed it, Flav.

5. unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2016 at 7:52 am

2009 wasn’t that bad,

6. unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2016 at 7:58 am

Speaking of the dubs, Walton goes 39-4 but doesn’t coach the west.

Tyronn Lue goes 2-1 and coaches the east.

Doh!

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 30, 2016 at 8:42 am

Flavor’s not going to fan fest! Stop the WordPresses!
    (Sorry man. That’s all I got)

• Flavor said, on January 30, 2016 at 9:27 am

better than I thought I was gonna get.

8. willedav said, on January 30, 2016 at 8:43 am

Basketball mecca that it is, I’d hope NYC and environs embrace and respect what Warriors have done as champs and how they are going about defending that title so far this year.

They are the antithesis of Melo ball. Their style of play features ball and player movement. Curry dominates ball but when he doesn’t have it he and Thompson are in constant motion cutting and screening/using screens.
    Green and Iguodala can handle the ball at top of key and Bogut is a throwback to days of Johnny Kerr as a high post passer and screener. They are efficient in open court and half court and supporting cast behind the All Stars make them very difficult to defend.

They play dang good team and individual defense too.

Spike still show up?

• Macdog said, on January 30, 2016 at 10:25 am

Anthony has actually taken to playing team ball this season — he’s averaging a career-high 4.1 assists, including 8 the other night in a blowout over Phoenix — and the Knicks are 0-6 when he doesn’t play. The biggest gripe I hear from Knicks fans is Derek Fisher and his rotations, so keep an eye on that if you’re watching tomorrow.

• djloo27 said, on January 30, 2016 at 2:31 pm

I’ll be there. And I’m way more popular than Spike…

• xoot said, on January 30, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Even kids who love the Dubs like Porzingis. (Personally, I hope he tanks.)

9. zumiee said, on January 30, 2016 at 9:32 am

With the Kendrick signing, the Dodger lineup will skew older (again) this season. I see a lot of DL time in the Dodger ’16 season, including Grandal, who’s not all that old but is not durable at the position that most demands it.
    Plus no Greinke, and no lead-off hitter.
    On the other hand, Dodger fans are excited about Seager, and rightly so. Great-looking swing. Although…..he’s nothing special on defense. We last remember him forgetting to cover third on Murphy’s huge steal in the playoffs.

10. Bozo said, on January 30, 2016 at 11:26 am

Missing Fanfest? Hell, I’m just glad Pagan isn’t the same Angel Pagan accused of fondling and sending sexually explicit Snapchats to his students in Chicago.

I wouldn’t go if I was a player. Even if I lived across the street and the team sent a car for me. Now, I’d be all over signing balls for kids in a hospital or something but Fanfest? Fuck that.

11. zumiee said, on January 30, 2016 at 2:08 pm

I purchased the Sporting News baseball preview magazine today. It’s awesomely cool. I’m diggin’ it.
    They predict the Giants over the Cubs in the NLCS, and the Red Sox over the Royals.
    And…..the Red Sox winning the World Series. Say what?! 🙂

• Flavor said, on January 30, 2016 at 2:26 pm

I was listening to one of those dipshit cbs radio guys this morning on KNBR (they stream the cbs radio when they have nothing else to run) and he was breaking down the NL/AL. He said every team except Oakland has a chance to make the WS this year (think about that claim) and he broke down the NL for a good solid minute before mentioning the Giants. He listed off 8 NL teams before he got to us and even when he referenced us he said “and the Giants, they’ll be there too.”
      idiot.

• xoot said, on January 30, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Billy Beane is building a team for the new ballpark — ETA 2030.

• snarkk said, on January 31, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Those ECoast and midwest talk show jockeys don’t know jack about the Giants. It’s OK, that’s just the sports landscape. They know a little bit more about the Doghairs, but not much. The West Coast is just not on their radar. They’d rather talk for an hour about LaBron getting gas from a bad Hoagie than talk about West Coast sports…

• Carstie Clausen said, on January 30, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Z: Got my little 97 GrandAm through some half melted snow on my long driveway with the help of some wood ashes for added traction and drove to Brrrrmidji (40 miles one way) to catch a shower and do some grocery shopping. At one of the stores i checked out all the baseball mags and noted that Sporting News piece projecting SF at 97 wins in an Even year. Mucho Kewl.

Also the only other mag which did projections and predictions noted that the Giants would win the NLW. May be a bit hard to slip beneath the radar after all that, but the respect is long overdue and much welcomed.

12. xoot said, on January 30, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Wtf Dubs today? They can’t possibly play like that two days in a row.

• willedav said, on January 30, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Barnes saved their ass from embarrassing meltdown.
      Too careless with ball and Sixers took it to them in 4th.

Cats playing pretty well vs. JHawks, good game

13. xoot said, on January 30, 2016 at 5:50 pm

KY responded at the end of the first half, but things are getting tough toward the end now. KY needs a contest like this. They’ve played some poor games on the road this year.

• xoot said, on January 30, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Foul outs killed the Cats in OT. oh well. Good game overall, both sides. Now I’ll be able to pass on the Pro Bowl. Btw, am I the only one who hates to hear commentators shout excitedly about an “offensive rebound” that’s really nothing more than a guy managing not to drop a ball that bounces way out off the rim and, more or less, lands in the guy’s hands?

14. unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Tyronn Lue takes it to the Spurs? Maybe Pops IS in trouble.

15. unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Barnes is such the enigma. Hell of a clutch shot to ice the game. Curry looked like his careless days at their worst. Weird game. But I do like Ish Smith. He played well early in the year vs the Dubs,

• blade3colorado said, on January 31, 2016 at 6:56 am

Ish is a favorite of mine in DFS.

• unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2016 at 8:13 am

Yeah, he’s bounced around the league for years, including a 10-game contract with the Dubs in 2011, and finally found his game. 11 teams in 6 years is grinding.

16. alleykat69 said, on January 31, 2016 at 12:19 am

Should of never came to that last shot by Barnes, just sloppy ball down the stretch.But with the game on the line ,Kerr setup a great play in the TO starting with Curry who was doubled obviously, great feed to Draymond in the paint, and a even smarter play to kick it out to a wide open Barnes for the 3 and the win.

17. djloo27 said, on January 31, 2016 at 8:54 am

Anybody know approximately what time Curry would do his warm-up routine for a 7:30 game?

18. willedav said, on January 31, 2016 at 9:23 am

Acid test for Cal today, on road at Colo, one of 5 teams with fewer losses in conference. Beat these guys and you can show you belong. Get the ball to Rabb inside and knock down a shot from perimeter.
    They have 5 of next 7 at home, including beatable Stanford before league leading Oregon comes to town.
    After trip to Wash they get LA schools at home.
    Cal has been great at home but you won’t get home games in tourney. Win today plus no more than a loss or 2 on road and they could get there…before they lose one or both of talented frosh to NBA.

• ewisco said, on January 31, 2016 at 4:03 pm

willie, the cal coach just doesn’t impress me. am i missing something?

19. willedav said, on January 31, 2016 at 10:59 am

I like Melo Trimble and Maryland better than Melo A and the Knicks.
    Haven’t seen them at all—does DFish ( annoying player on Lakers) run any of the GM’s Triangle stuff?

20. snarkk said, on January 31, 2016 at 12:45 pm

I’m continuing my Pagan support like Oracle did on Torres.
    The guy was hurt last year. He had two bad wheels, and they trotted him out there for two months instead of putting him on the DL, which they finally did. Meanwhile, people busted his chops for bad D when he was running like Walter Brennan in The Real McCoys. I never did get that — he’s hurt, so sit him for a few weeks and bring up Perez again or whatever stiff is at AAA that at least has knees that can run down a gapper. Anyway, when Pagan is on, and healthy, the dude gives an energy that nobody else does on that squad. I want him playing until either he gets hurt again, or they trade the guy. He’s in his last contract year, he should have incentive to play well. And, I give him and any other vet no demerits for blowing off “Fan Fest”. BFD. If it were truly for the fans, everything would be free, or at least discounted. Surprise, it’s not. I went once when the Snarkettes were small. Once was enough. I barely saw any players, there were so many people it was like herding sheep through the concourses. Lines were ridiculous — there was one for breathing air. After an hour, the Snarkettes were whining to leave, but I made them tough it out another hour — then I was whining, and we scooted. It’s a Larry Baer marketing moment in between Monster Truck meets and Metallica concerts…

21. snarkk said, on January 31, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Meanwhile, people are ripping the Dubs on radio for beating the 76ers at the buzzer. Hey, you can’t get sky high ready for every opponent. Philly is dogmeat, and probably played their best game of the season. Everybody gets up to play the Dubs. GSW guys are so good, they gave the least effort possible in the second half to beat that sad sack squad, and got it done. Brilliant. They’ll get up for the game today at MSG…

22. snarkk said, on January 31, 2016 at 1:32 pm

And, BTW, if this Arroyo cat looks like the read deal at the plate this ST, switch the kid to an OFer track, and get him ready to take over an outfield spot next season. If he’s that good of an athlete, he’ll be able to figure out playing the outfield in a season in the minors. It you can run a bit, and have the skills to have been playing SS anyway, then playing OF ain’t THAT hard…

• chipower9 said, on January 31, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Well, that is what everyone said about Specs, and from what I heard, that experiment in winter ball was not a glaring success.

• snarkk said, on January 31, 2016 at 3:24 pm

I doubt Specs plays outfield worse that Morse or Pat the Bat. He’s probably adequate to better than adequate. Giants have a knack of not raving about players, and also, undershooting expectations on young ones. As in Specs as an infielder and player. And, Duffy. And, Panik…

23. chipower9 said, on January 31, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Bahaha! I could give a rat’s ass if Pagan is there. I went to the first, maybe first two when they moved it to the ballyard. A crowded Jack-off session is right. I won’t be doing fan fest either. And I do not blame Pagan one bit for staying home and missing this blow fest.

Only 17 days until pitchers and catchers report.

24. zumiee said, on January 31, 2016 at 6:30 pm

The Warriors are showing systematic workman-like dominance over the Knicks.

25. alleykat69 said, on January 31, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Yeah Zumie,
    They sometime looked bored and will give a team false hope, with a small run. Then Kerr will say, turn it up a notch boys and then they go on a huge run and demoralize the team& fans..

26. willedav said, on January 31, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Didn’t see start which I guess was not good at all, but by mid second Q Warriors offense was a clinic.
    Until it got to garbage time they were at 60% from the floor while holding Knicks to 35%. Sub par night from Curry and they still blow out Knicks. Thompson and Green fabulous nights.

Wisc, I dunno what’s wrong with Cal on the road. They go through stretches of dumb offense and only Brown and Rabb seem to be able to score. Tonight the other guys (Matthews Bird singer) were terrible. They’re 4-0 at home in league and 0-5 on the road and that’s NIT numbers. That does speak to not being prepared and not working hard enough to get a good shot when big 2 are defended, but Martin hasn’t recruited enough depth either. He loses Brown and Rabb after this year, look out.

• ewisco said, on February 1, 2016 at 5:19 am

they just kinda look lost when I happen to catch them. you read about all this talent and it looks to me like they’re standing around watching someone else. maybe I just haven’t seen them play at home yet. but that’s a weird stat too.

27. pawliekokonuts said, on January 31, 2016 at 7:57 pm

I’m with snarkk on Pagan. Plus, even in the time he was injured the dude made some fabulous catches. (Look it up.) That was the part that was hard to decipher. It seemed like his head was in the game sometimes, sometimes not. I give him a salute.