Kaep

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 3, 2016

I haven’t really followed this story, but I heard that Kaep wants out. Isn’t he already out? I’d like to play for the New York Jets too but I don’t think telling that to a media source makes that happen.

People are saying that this “leak” will hurt Kaep’s trade value. This makes no sense to me. Who wants to trade for Kaep? He is absolutely not worth the 12 mil he’s scheduled to make if he isn’t cut by April 1st. What team would trade for him and take on that “Kaep” hit?

Maybe he would have to agree to a contract restructure if he wants a trade to the Jets to get done?

To me, Kaep has almost no trade value. He has barely any value unless you think he can fit into what Kelly wants to do. Which I don’t think he can do. Steve Young called it perfectly: Kaep works really hard on things he’s already good at. I can’t see Kaep succeeding in a sped-up offense where he has to think and read defenses quicker. He doesn’t do his homework in the film room. He doesn’t work on technique. He doesn’t practice short throws until his muscle memory is locked in. All he wants to do is work out and throw deep balls in practice.

But hey, if the Jets want him they can have him…..

1. unca_chuck said, on February 3, 2016 at 7:21 am

We went through this same thing with Alex Smith. What did the Niners get? A 2nd and a 3rd IIRC. Seeing as the Jets won’t get any of the top 3 QBs in the draft, they could very well make a trade for Kappy.

• Flavor said, on February 3, 2016 at 9:38 am

Alex wasn’t due 12 mil the following year.

2. pawliekokonuts said, on February 3, 2016 at 7:43 am

**Kaep works really hard on things he’s already good at.** I barely do even that.

3. Bozo said, on February 3, 2016 at 7:44 am

The original source for this rumor is the New York Daily News, so it’s probably bullshit. Could have been planted by the Jets, while they negotiate with Fitzpatrick. Could have been planted by the Niners while saying they want to keep Kap, just so they don’t look like assholes again. Or maybe the story is real and Kap just wants to go to the Jets so he can sit behind Fitzpatrick for a year and then work with Gailey. Who knows?

4. chipower9 said, on February 3, 2016 at 8:01 am

I heard the other day that there is a possibility that Bradford may end up a Niner. He is an unrestricted FA, but has said that he likes Philly and wants to continue playing there. I have no idea the relationship between Kelly and Bradford, but Kelly did trade Foles and a second-round and fourth-round pick to acquire Bradford for Philly.

I would have no problem with the Niners cutting loose Kaep if they can entice Bradford. Yeah, Bradford has had some injury issues, but he is a damned good fit for the Kelly offense. Oklahoma, where Bradford played college ball, runs a hurry-up scheme very close to that of Kelly’s.

I would take Bradford over Kaep any day, and especially if it means jettisoning that chunk of change the Niners will owe Kaep if he is kept around.

Kaepernick does nothing for me…never has. I would have kept Alex over him any day, all day, and twice on Sunday.

5. chipower9 said, on February 3, 2016 at 8:04 am

ONLY 14 days until pitchers and catchers report, girls!

I can smell the Sheboygan brats on the grill! BAM!

6. willedav said, on February 3, 2016 at 8:33 am

Hard to say what went on in the discussion about Kaep when Kelly was hired, whether Kelly thinks he could work with him or not. My feeling is he’d rather draft his own guy without baggage and start fresh. From what I’ve read recently the ND St kid is at top of the list for QBs (headed to Cle) and SF might actually have a shot at Goff. Goff seems more like Kelly type of QB who has run spread O before and can pass accurately and make good quick decisions, 2 qualities that seem to have eluded Kaep.

I don’t see Kaep accepting a back up role to Gabbert ever and there is ? how much support he has in locker room with what went on last year. If he’s disillusioned with Niners FO he certainly has a lot of company.

Niners have so many issues on offense I doubt can be solved in one draft or one season. Getting past Seattle and Zona to be anywhere near playoffs seems like a pipe dream for 2016.

7. willedav said, on February 3, 2016 at 8:40 am

What to make of krukow’s comments about Arroyo on csn—“give him a glove” and let him learn to play anywhere?
    Kruk thinks he could be up this year as IF back up at 3b or 2b and even corner OF. Should this be done at whatever level he’s at (Double A or Sac) or should he continue to play SS full time?
    Did Specs play any 3b? Who does back up Duffy?

• Bozo said, on February 3, 2016 at 9:19 am

Good question about Duffy’s backup. Specs played 3B in 9 minor league games so he might be able to be the super sub. The Giants signed Grant Green who has played some 3B and LF for the Angels so he might be an option. Otherwise, it’s probably the bench killer, good old Ehire.

8. Macdog said, on February 3, 2016 at 9:11 am

This being a Giants blog, I looked at the headline and saw “Kuip” instead and thought, “Huh?”

• Carstie Clausen said, on February 3, 2016 at 10:04 am

Well, this time of year the minor sports do get some chat on this site. But like Chi pointed out, the initial onset of the season begins on Scoreboard’s 115th birthday. My Dad, who listened to Twin’s Dad religiously in his Twin’s broadcasting days, earned the monicker “Scoreboard” from neighborhood kids. Now my nephew holds that title. As he played hockey into his highschool years, Niclaus also follows that sport. But like my dad, he traditionally is basically a baseball fanatic.

9. blade3colorado said, on February 3, 2016 at 10:03 am

Not that I give a rat’s ass, but I am reading where Manziel is a “logical” fit for the Niners. I find that rumor quite funny.

• Lurker John said, on February 3, 2016 at 10:27 am

Anyone who thinks that’s logical has a short circuit in the old gray matter.

• blade3colorado said, on February 3, 2016 at 10:43 am

I think you’ve nailed the problem LJ . . . Maybe York or Baalke didn’t wear football helmets in their respective Pop Warner youth leagues and as a result, have advanced stage chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). This would explain everything . . .

10. blade3colorado said, on February 3, 2016 at 10:09 am

Also, just to reiterate, like Chi and Twin – I’ve always been an Alex Smith fan too. Not being in the bay area, I don’t know the full story about why he was jettisoned to the wheat capital of the world. Likewise, I was surprised by how vocal Flappers were against him and consequently didn’t stick up for him much (again, for reasons of not knowing the situation, as well as being turned off completely by this York regime). Anywho, it’s water under the bridge now, as Smith is doing quite well in Oz’s parallel universe.

11. unca_chuck said, on February 3, 2016 at 11:35 am

$11 mill for a possible front line QB is peanuts. I still think Kappy has a hell of a lot more upside than fucking Gabbert. Gabby is Alex Smith lite.

Smith had a Shitty time here, and justified It by getting better coaching under Harbaugh and nearly getting to the SB. Did I want Kappy when he got here? Sure. I figured they’d fight it out in training camp in 2012. But Harbaugh fucked that scene up by saying he wouldn’t bench Smith then he did. By then the die was cast for Alex.

Now? Who the fuck knows? Once again though you have unsubstantiated rumors coming from the team. Or somewhere. I thought Paraage was the rat. Or Tomsula. Or Singletary.

This org is a fucking joke. I’m really tired of the rumor mill bullshit.

• Flavor said, on February 3, 2016 at 3:06 pm

He’s not a front line QB. Now, if they want to speculate that he could be one again that’s their right and if they want to pay 12 mil to find out that’s their right too.
      I’ll be surprised if anyone gives up anything for Kaep tho. Especially when I think the NIners let him go and they could sign him off the scrap heap.

• unca_chuck said, on February 3, 2016 at 4:38 pm

He’s close enough. The Jets are pretty close to the cap ceiling anyway but they are Trying to sign Patrick Fitzryan.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 3, 2016 at 11:49 am

I was a Smith supporter and am happy to see him doing well in KC. It seemed like he really helped Kaepernick with film study. Maybe more than Harbaugh (who’s a total POS in my book). I think I’ve mentioned that I used to work with a couple of former UNR players that were on the team with Kaepernick. They were genuinely great guys that everybody liked and both of them thought Kaepernick was a total douche. So whatever that is worth…

13. alleykat69 said, on February 3, 2016 at 11:50 am

It’s Joan from payroll who’s leaking the information!
    She’s not getting any, so she’s turning “fatal attraction”Fear for the bunny’s life”

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 3, 2016 at 11:50 am

Who was it that glossed Tomsula the Sweat Suit? I thought that was funny.

15. blade3colorado said, on February 3, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Sort of shocked that Kenny Stabler, who recently passed away, was diagnosed with Stage 3 CTE (on a scale of 1-4). Per a physician at Boston University School of Medicine: “He had moderately severe disease. Pretty classic. It may be surprising since he was a quarterback, but certainly the lesions were widespread, and they were quite severe, affecting many regions of the brain.”

I wonder what the percentage of parents are that allow their kids to play youth and high school football? Seriously, I see this sport, along with Rugby (which is far more brutal in my opinion), eventually going the way of boxing in popularity. Ironically, the NFL brand of football played today is boring in my opinion, bogged down by too many rules.

• blade3colorado said, on February 3, 2016 at 5:31 pm

On the other hand, maybe I shouldn’t be “shocked” as Boston University has now found CTE in 90 of the 94 former football players it has examined. That’s an amazing statistic.

16. snarkk said, on February 3, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Looking at Dubs highlight in brew pubover an 8 Bridges red IPA. Curry went for 51 tonite – on fire. The guy is incredible…

17. zumiee said, on February 3, 2016 at 10:35 pm

The Athlon baseball preview magazine picks the Giants over the Cubs in the NLCS, the Blue jays over the Royals, and the Blue Jays over the Giants in the World Series.

• wilcojoe said, on February 4, 2016 at 7:14 am

It befuddles me to think that anyone would pick the Giants to make it to the World Series only to lose. That would be like going home with a BBOTD only to fall asleep before she takes her top off.

18. willedav said, on February 4, 2016 at 7:22 am

Blade I hear you but I just think the end of football is a long ways away. Even for HS and college, kids still flock to it, esp in Texas (south in general) and Midwest heartland. Sure, as Killion writes today news about Stabler is “sobering” but I just don’t see an avalanche of parents denying their kids a chance to play—it’s still too big, with fans regularly filling 100 thou stadiums across the country for college and the tremendous amount of $$$ the pro game generates for NFL.
    In fact, more kids every year leave college early to go pro. Talent pool is still there and while I can see a slow steady erosion I don’t think it’s drying up anytime soon.