Jonny Good Riddance

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 4, 2016

Earlier this week, Gomes signed a deal to play in Japan. I’ve always liked him. Seems like a very cool dude. But I did not like this comment:

“It seems like the players are getting bullied. It’s February. These people are human beings. They have families. They’ve got to make plans. I’m not trying to get back at baseball by any means. But I’m not just going to hang around. What has changed since the end of September? It’s not like a guy is hot right now or in a slump.”

That’s the type of privileged, out-of-touch comment I would expect from an A-Rod or some other dumbass.

I’m sorry Gomes feels bullied. Hopefully some fresh sushi and a foot massage will ease his pain.

He’s 35 and declining rapidly. Japan should extend his career a bit. Doubt he ever takes another swing at the major league level……

1. blade3colorado said, on February 4, 2016 at 7:44 am

Willie, good comment from the last thread regarding CTE and the effect on football, where you said:

“Blade I hear you but I just think the end of football is a long ways away. Even for HS and college, kids still flock to it, esp in Texas (south in general) and Midwest heartland. Sure, as Killion writes today news about Stabler is “sobering” but I just don’t see an avalanche of parents denying their kids a chance to play—it’s still too big, with fans regularly filling 100 thou stadiums across the country for college and the tremendous amount of $$$ the pro game generates for NFL. In fact, more kids every year leave college early to go pro. Talent pool is still there and while I can see a slow steady erosion I don’t think it’s drying up anytime soon.”

Actually, I don’t think you interpreted my point correctly, particularly where I said, “Seriously, I see this sport, along with Rugby (which is far more brutal in my opinion), eventually going the way of boxing in popularity. Ironically, the NFL brand of football played today is boring in my opinion, bogged down by too many rules.”

In effect, what I meant was this . . . Similar to boxing, it’s likely that only kids who grow up in poverty (black, white or whatever) will gravitate to football. I see the Ivy League programs either: 1. Drying up and disappearing; or, 2. Majority of the kids being black, brown, and white from poverty stricken areas. I think in 10 years time, you will see statistics reflecting that upwards of 90-95% of the kids playing football at all levels, but especially the NFL, will be black or mixed race. Maybe you’ll be shocked by the statistics today . . . At the start of the 2014 season, NFL surveys revealed that the league was approximately 68% African-American and about 28% white, with the remaining 4% comprising Asian/Pacific Islander, non-white Hispanics, and those preferring a Mixed Race category. That’s a mind blowing statistic in itself, which many people don’t notice because all the players have their helmets on.

• blade3colorado said, on February 4, 2016 at 7:49 am

By the by, here is another “mind blowing statistic” regarding the NFL . . . In recent decades the cornerback position has been played exclusively by black players, and the halfback position overwhelmingly so. There are currently NO WHITE cornerbacks in the NFL and there have not been since New York Giants cornerback Jason Sehorn played his final season for the team in 2002, before moving to safety with the St. Louis Rams in 2003.

• willedav said, on February 4, 2016 at 8:07 am

Interesting. See how the new crop of athletic QBs holds up in NFL, one position still mostly white isn’t it?
      I do remember seeing Eldridge Dickey out of Tennessee St play in exhibition game for Raiders.
      and of course many of the black college QBs wound up playing somewhere else when they hit pros, like Ken Riley all pro DB who was exclusively a QB at Florida A&M.

One ? I would have is, to what sport would athletes turn if football wasn’t an option?

• wilcojoe said, on February 4, 2016 at 9:02 am

I agree Steve. I do think Texas affluent white kids (i.e. The Andrew Luck’s) will be the last ones to give it up. There are two things Texans aren’t willing to give up: Guns and Football.

That being said, I do agree that the majority of players will be coming from impoverished backgrounds. It will be interesting to see how that affects programs like Stanford and Notre Dame.

• xoot said, on February 4, 2016 at 10:19 am

I remember a karate instructor during a brown belt test telling everyone to do something (I can’t remember exactly what) and then afterward, before moving on to next command, saying: Don’t feel bad about that. Very few people in the United States can do that the right way, and most of them are playing professional football.

I think he was on to something there that helps explain football’s popularity. The physical violence, however, is just too extreme for it to last now that everyone knows abut the brain damage.

2. willedav said, on February 4, 2016 at 7:53 am

Gomes is one of the guys whose name comes up often in “Intangiball”, along side some other curious ones like O Cab and Chase Utley as those who help others stay in line and play the game right.
    It was interesting book but lot of focus on the Reds of 2010 who flamed out early in playoffs. Little mention of Giants 2010 except for Cody Ross, and Scutaro is seen as main catalyst in 2012.

Just like everyone else, at some point a guy like Gomes has to prove his value on the field and that time likely passed a couple years ago.

Missed Warrior game last night but did see highlights of Curry’s baskets on cbs site vid where they show all of them. the one where he knocks the ball away on inbound, recovers it in a scramble and then bombs in a 3 at the sideline is awesome. Warriors and OKC are usually fantastic and entertaining games to watch; looking forward to Sat.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 4, 2016 at 8:29 am

#ballplayersincomesmatter

4. eddacker said, on February 4, 2016 at 8:32 am

Another statistic of the day; baseball statistics and their depth is almost as good as cribbage when snowed in all day. The stat:

Giancarlo Stanton had 9 batted balls of 117+ MPH last year. The rest of major league baseball players, combined, had 3.

Stanton only played 74 games last year.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 4, 2016 at 9:11 am

Edd, I got an email from you, which I certainly don’t mind, but it seemed a bit irregular. Thought I should let you know.

• eddacker said, on February 4, 2016 at 11:35 am

Thanks, was it this week? I have moved my email server and I hope that helps. I am sure you understand these things can only take advantage of people who click on things. Cheers, thanks for the heads up.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 4, 2016 at 11:40 am

It was from yesterday. Don’t worry I didn’t click on your link advertising personal trainers from Italy.

5. Macdog said, on February 4, 2016 at 9:08 am

He’s right: Nothing’s changed from his .213 batting average since the end of September.

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2016 at 9:19 am

If any ballplayer was going to stay in touch with the normal fan base I would have bet it would have been Gomes. And then he busts out feeling “bullied”. Fuck him.

• unca_chuck said, on February 4, 2016 at 11:33 am

Yeah, the poor guy only earned what, $18 mill over the years? Boo hoo.

6. chipower9 said, on February 4, 2016 at 9:39 am

Wilco – loved your comment last thread (in response to Zummie’s Athalon mag prediction):

“It befuddles me to think that anyone would pick the Giants to make it to the World Series only to lose. That would be like going home with a BBOTD only to fall asleep before she takes her top off.”

LMAO on the BBOTD part…good stuff…

• blade3colorado said, on February 4, 2016 at 9:53 am

Depends on which BBOTD Chi. Flavor has had some rancid BBOTD hoes posted on the Flap that I wouldn’t fuck with your baloney poney, much less mine. Of course, that’s just my opinion. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on February 4, 2016 at 12:38 pm

HA! SO TRUE! I remember some of those when you would have to ask yourself “Flav…what the fuck are you thinking, brother?!” And yeah, some of those ugly hoes I wouldn’t fuck with Donald Trump’s schwang!

7. chipower9 said, on February 4, 2016 at 9:40 am

Only 13 days until pitchers and catchers report. WHOOP!

8. chipower9 said, on February 4, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Joe Alaskey, who took over the voice for Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck after the passing of Mel Blanc, has passed. RIP. (Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies are still my all-time favorite cartoons.)

9. wilcojoe said, on February 4, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Looking forward to the conclusion of Madoff on ABC tonight. Richard Dreyfuss is outstanding as Bernie Madoff. Highly recommended.

10. Flavor said, on February 4, 2016 at 3:36 pm

he expands a little bit on his decision here. Didn’t sound *bullied* in what he wrote for the players tribune

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 4, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I’m sort of surprised that Jonny Gomes is snub worthy.

12. sfsarge said, on February 4, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Kinda surprised this hasn’t been mentioned yet, but RIP to Maurice White from Earth, Wind, and Fire. Those dudes could get down. The music world lost another Titan today.

• unca_chuck said, on February 4, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Just saw that. They were pretty awesome. It doesn’t get much better than this.

• sfsarge said, on February 4, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Sweet video. I have to say. It’s really just kinds hitting me. EWF was one of the musical staples of my childhood. This was the music my parents raised me on along with Anita Baker, Al Jarreau, Stevie Wonder, and all kinds of Motown and 70’s funk. On top of that, this band was a seminal influence on hip-hop of which is not only the soundtrack of my life, but

• sfsarge said, on February 4, 2016 at 9:48 pm

(Got cut off) the primary influence of pop culture from the early 90’s up until about 5 years ago or so.

13. zumiee said, on February 4, 2016 at 11:08 pm

The Lindy baseball preview magazine picks the Giants to win the NL West, but picks the Nationals (??) to get to the World Series vs. the Blue Jays. The magazine doesn’t pick a winner of the World Series.