Anyone But Denver

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 8, 2016

Ugh, the Broncos. I hate the Broncos. I hate all Denver sports teams. It’s been easy to hate their baseball team and their basketball team—both constantly suck. But ever since I went to college with 2 dudes from Denver I’ve had to listen to their nonsense about the pro teams. And the Broncos have been the one thorn they continue to dig in my side. They even managed to get me to hate John Elway, one of my favorite players in any sport growing up as a Stanford fan.

And they have been especially obnoxious since this recent Super Bowl win.

I HATE the Denver Broncos…….

1. gianthead said, on February 8, 2016 at 6:15 am

Hard to hate Peyton but I lost big on Panthers and the frickin over parlay tease…Rivera got completely out coached and we knew the Panthers Achilles Heel was their receivers and how many balls did they not hold on to???

• gianthead said, on February 8, 2016 at 6:17 am

And I am sort of happy to see Cam get faced….I am convinced the Panthers thought they were just going to roll over Denver. They bought their own hype…when do pitchers and catchers report????

2. blade3colorado said, on February 8, 2016 at 6:43 am

I sympathize Flavor. You all know how I feel about Denver sports teams. I could really give a rat’s ass about this Broncos Super Bowl win. I attended a Denver Super Bowl party and essentially was only there for the food. I didn’t boo the Broncos, nor root for them. Conversely, no reaction to the Panthers as well. The guacamole was superb!

3. zumiee said, on February 8, 2016 at 7:40 am

I had no rooting interest in the game. I watched it as a piece of Americana. A rather boring piece of Americana.
    Can Peyton even throw the ball more than 20 yards anymore?
    With all the rule changes to benefit the offenses, it’s kind of amazing that defenses can still dominate in a game.

4. alleykat69 said, on February 8, 2016 at 7:55 am

Only for my football squares did I give a rats ass for this game. And up as well. But lost total respect Newton who walked off pouting in his press conference with “No Fucking Class”!!
    Take it like a man and grow a pair and say your team was out played by Denver and give them their respect they deserved you classless pussy!!!

5. willedav said, on February 8, 2016 at 8:06 am

Other than a couple decent runs Newton looked inaccurate and unable to avoid rush, like a lot of ordinary QBs.
    If Manning does retire, can they win with Osweiler? Didn’t he lose to Raiders? And of course now everyone wants to get paid which usually does a lot to break up core. Price of von Miller just went way up.

Even commercials sucked. That early CarTracker one with the guy following around his daughter on her date I thought was pretty funny but other than that meh.

• wilcojoe said, on February 8, 2016 at 8:11 am

Yeah the commercials were terrible. Seems like every year Doritos has a funny one and then they never play it again. I did get a chuckle out of the baby in the sonogram.

6. wilcojoe said, on February 8, 2016 at 8:08 am

Yeah, Cam had already lost a bit of respect leading up to the game and the way he handled it afterward, only added to the disappointment.

Did you guys see Eli’s reaction to his big brothers win?

• unca_chuck said, on February 8, 2016 at 10:00 am

That was fucking CLASSIC!! Eli looked like he was pasing a kidney stone as everyone else was happy.

7. blade3colorado said, on February 8, 2016 at 8:14 am

Agree with AK and Mac (previous thread) about Cam growing a pair. Yeah, it’s an emotional time to be interviewed after losing the biggest game of his life, but other QBs have shown class in this situation. Newton = baby.

Only partially agree with Willie about Von Miller getting paid. The reality is that he will have the “Franchise tag” placed on him if the Broncos are smart . . . but yeah, down the line, he does get paid eventually.

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 8, 2016 at 8:16 am

Newton should take notes on how Manning handled the press throughout the week and especially after the game when the inevitable retirement questions came nonstop. I wasn’t really into it this year. Watching the game on tape delay at my father in law’s house certainly didn’t help but I like happy endings so good for Manning. After Taking down the Patriot’s, evening his playoff record and winning the whole enchilada it’s hard to see why he would come back. The guy probably can’t even tie his own shoes as it is. Why risk further injury?

9. wilcojoe said, on February 8, 2016 at 8:20 am

Other than the poor field conditions (what’s new) it seems like the Bay Area did a fine job as Super Bowl hosts…I thought the halftime show was as weak as the commercials. Not a big fan of his music, but Bruno Mars has some serious talent. I would have just let him have the stage by himself but I guess he already did a couple years back. Coldplay definetly came across as the opening act, which I think is kind of funny.

10. willedav said, on February 8, 2016 at 8:22 am

Hope Steph curry got an eyeful of how not to act and reins in those guarantees he’s shot out recently.
    Get on the ground after a loose ball and if you do lose on a big stage just accept it and move on.
    Much as I dislike the guy even Pete Carroll took full heat in front of everyone last year.
    Gotta wonder how Newton’s hometown fans feel about him now.

11. wilcojoe said, on February 8, 2016 at 8:28 am

Oh, and a memo to Larry Baer in regards to our upcoming World Series appararance. Please consider Lady Gaga as an anthem singer instead of the requisite abomination that is Beach Blanket Babylon. I would rather hear and see Gaga dressed up in her ridiculous garb than the BBB chick in hers.

12. Macdog said, on February 8, 2016 at 9:09 am

“And the Broncos have been the one thorn they continue to dig in my side.”

Wouldn’t “55-10” shut them up pretty quick?

• Lurker John said, on February 8, 2016 at 9:39 am

You’d think, Mac.

• Flavor said, on February 8, 2016 at 12:25 pm

That is what started the whole thing.

13. chipower9 said, on February 8, 2016 at 9:16 am

GH (and all) – Pitchers and catchers report in NINE days!

• gianthead said, on February 8, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Thanks Chi

14. chipower9 said, on February 8, 2016 at 9:24 am

I am with Flavor in that I have hated Denver teams for as long as I can remember. I believe it even goes back before the snowball fiasco many years ago that involved the Niner’s kicker Ray Wersching.

Never liked Elway. Never like Peyton. Just have fucking hated the Broncos.

But I will tip my cap, their D showed-up and put a whoop-ass on Cam and crew.

I said last week that I thought the key to the game was if Carolina could get their ground game going, so that Denver’s front seven could not put their ears back and T-off on Newton. Even with the Cats outgaining Denver on the ground, it did not matter. Denver’s D was in Cam’s jock all day long…

If all you looked at were the stats (sans turnovers), it looks like Carolina wins the game. BUT, four turnovers to one…with a D like Denvers…you are not winning too many of those matches.

Thank goodness the NFL season is finally over, and we can focus on the REAL DEAL…BASEBALL!

15. Lurker John said, on February 8, 2016 at 9:38 am

I’m no Broncos fan but I also have no animosity towards them. With Cam Newton only solidifying his ass-hattery yesterday, there was no question who I was pulling for. One QB is a class act, they other is a world class jackass. Guess who got the shit kicked out of his whiny ass?

16. Lurker John said, on February 8, 2016 at 9:42 am

Just like the best way to beat a good hitter is and will always be hard in, soft away, the best way to beat any QB is to be in his grill all day. Brady learned it two weeks ago, Sham Newton learned it yesterday.

17. xoot said, on February 8, 2016 at 9:51 am

I thought Beyoncé’s thighs dominated the half time show. None of the commercials were worth a whit. Cam Newton’s fumbles and INT place him near the bottom of SB QB performances — down there with Elway vs. SF. (Remember that hurried pass Elway spiked out of panic? That was nearly as much fun as his INTs and fumbles.) The stupor bowl has become a sort of farcical ritual, celebrating the end of winter and the approaching equinox, which, miraculously, coincides with the last two weeks of Spring Training. It’s getting early earlier these days.

18. unca_chuck said, on February 8, 2016 at 10:34 am

Yeah, I’ve shared my hatred for Denver many times. Back then there were no Rockies to ignore and the Nuggets were a one-dimensional team that never went anywhere in the playoffs. It was all Broncos all the time.

And yeah, me too Flav. Elway went from one of my favorite college players to the biggest bitch. Saw him play a bunch of times. One play blew my mind. Elway was sprinting toward the sideline after getting flushed from the pocket, and threw a pass 65+yards to the back of the end zone for a touchdown. He went from that to being the most vile guy around as he whined his way out of Baltimore to be the biggest pain in the ass in Colo.

19. zumiee said, on February 8, 2016 at 10:45 am

Did you know that Bruce Bochy played on the same high school baseball team as Darrell Hammond, of Saturday Night Live fame? I did not know that.
    And Hammond’s dad was the head coach.

• blade3colorado said, on February 8, 2016 at 11:15 am

I was curious about this (thanks for sharing Zum) and I found this on his Wiki bio. Quite funny . . .

“In the late 1980s, Hammond worked briefly as a stand-up comedian on Premier Cruise Line ships.[17][18]

One evening, while the ship was docked in the Bahamas, Hammond visited a restaurant, where he consumed the equivalent of 16 shots of rum.[19] He claimed that a man repeatedly pestered him throughout the evening to take a dollar bill with trace amounts of cocaine on it.[17] When the comedian left the bar to use the restroom, the man followed him into the stall and told him, “I think you should take this with you.”[17] Believing he was about to be mugged, he relented, and the man placed the bill inside Hammond’s pocket.[17] Local police were waiting outside the restroom and quickly arrested him. The United States Drug Enforcement Administration later told Hammond that the episode had been a setup, and that local authorities regularly entrapped American tourists;[17] he spent a weekend in a crude jail cell. Hammond was released after his father traveled to the Bahamas and paid $5,000 for his son’s release.[17]”

• zumiee said, on February 8, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Wow- what a bizarre incident. He took a winding journey to Saturday Night Live.

I got the Bochy/Hammond connection from one of the season preview magazines.

20. unca_chuck said, on February 8, 2016 at 11:24 am

Yeah, Newton looked like Dan Marino after the 49ers got through with him.

• alleykat69 said, on February 8, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Agree Chuck,
      And wouldn’t it be ironic if Newton doesn’t get to the SB again like Marino!

21. xoot said, on February 8, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Belt’s arb hearing is Wednesday. The split is $7.5M/$5.3M. Even if the Giants lose they don’t lose much money. But their affirmative case, probably a PowerPoint presentation showing how mediocre Belt can be when it matters, with testimony from witnesses who will explain how demoralizing his sullen shoulder walk always is, surely will depress Big Brandon. Best for both sides to to agree on $6.6M for one year, with no hearing.

• Flavor said, on February 8, 2016 at 7:06 pm

when was the last time the Giants went to arb with a player? I’m sure they’ll settle before that

• xoot said, on February 8, 2016 at 7:06 pm

6. Clayton Blackburn- RHP
    7. Christian Arroyo- SS
    8. Chris Shaw- 1B
    9. Sam Coonrod- RHP
    10. Kyle Crick- RHP

• Flavor said, on February 8, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Crick in a free fall. We shoulda traded him when he had value

23. zumiee said, on February 9, 2016 at 3:06 am

7 of the Giants’ first 13 games are vs. the Dodgers. Makes for an interesting start to the season.

• willedav said, on February 9, 2016 at 7:33 am

Especially if Giants were to romp them. Roberts will start season under scrutiny anyway as will their FO for hiring him in the first place.

One of the funnier things I remember about Splash was when Giants got their asses kicked by Padres on the road to start the season and that Soph character went off on them as doomed under Bochy and Sabean.