Belt PayDay

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 10, 2016

Big, big day for Belt. Here’s a question that I THINK has been asked here before: Has the team ever submitted a number HIGHER than what the player submits? There has to be something in place to stop that from happening, right?

Pebble Beach this weekend. I’m not going but will watch as much as I can on TV. Hands down the most picturesque golf tournament of the year. I like Jimmy Walker this week.

1. xoot said, on February 10, 2016 at 7:04 am

Here’s a rather cold-blooded description of baseball arbitration. I’m a bit surprised by the way the authors gloss the Chilean process, adopted by US trained neo-cons after Allende’s assassination paved the way for a return to cut-throat capitalism. (Ruin the unions — task number one for right-wingers.) Any way, baseball arbitration is notoriously brutal.

2. unca_chuck said, on February 10, 2016 at 7:12 am

Dynomite!!

3. chipower9 said, on February 10, 2016 at 7:13 am

Trade Belt!

4. chipower9 said, on February 10, 2016 at 7:13 am

Only SEVEN…yes ONE FUCKING WEEK until pitchers and catchers report for your San Francisco Giants!

5. chipower9 said, on February 10, 2016 at 7:15 am

I estimate a one year deal of $6.25 mil before it goes to arbitration…

• xoot said, on February 10, 2016 at 7:26 am

I think it was Baggarly who said Belt’s job today is to prove he’s worth one dollar more than the mid-point — which is $6.4 million. If he does that, he gets $7.3M.

• xoot said, on February 10, 2016 at 7:26 am

No. $7.5M.

• chipower9 said, on February 10, 2016 at 9:19 am

Yeah, I have seen Bagg’s comments. I do not think the arbitrator will grant Belt his number. I see it being somewhere nearer the mid-point…hence my 6.25 estimate.

6. willedav said, on February 10, 2016 at 7:44 am

Much as I dislike the guy, Harden has a beautiful J. those 3s he drained once he got rolling never touched anything but net. Steph needs to learn how to get to FT line like he does, which is an art of body control. Most guys use it to avoid contact and get off a shot, Harden does opposite.

Howard, idk. How can you allow Bogut to get 13 pts? Howard has no footwork and inability to read D. clueless–he should abuse smaller/slower guys like a Barkley would.

Saw this in last week’s version of local free paper, Metro. They do local political and entertainment stories and one guy in particular (Josh Koehn) has been responsible for bringing down local County Exec Shirakawa for misuse of funds and also has gone after Mike Honda who now faces investigation by Congress over having his staff do campaign work on company time.

Latest investigation looks at supposed shady dealings by Niners and relationship with Santa Clara and city council. Those who don’t care for Niners have been trying to get financial reports about stadium, both expenses and profits, from them for a while without fruition and complain about lack of transparency.
    There is also a lot of land nearby soon to come up for development, and questions are being raised about who is helping whom to get in first and biggest project etc. Matier and Ross report today that Mayor (definite Niners friend) just resigned unexpectedly and City Mgr. (another guy who allegedly obfuscates those trying look into financial records) might sue the city for harassment.
    This is about way more than soccer fields.

• unca_chuck said, on February 10, 2016 at 9:53 am

I think they’ll move out of that stadium a lot quicker than their time in the Stick. Levis will become the home of the Earthquakes or some shit.

• sfsarge said, on February 10, 2016 at 5:55 pm

I hope this is a catalyst for an ownership change, a la the reason Eddie Davis lost the team.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 10, 2016 at 7:58 am

I think Belt will get the $7.5M and continue to be viewed by the org as a slumpy shouldered, no confidence goober. They’ll add bad soldier to the list leaving him out of the circle of trust.

8. willedav said, on February 10, 2016 at 8:41 am

csn reports Ishikawa signed minor league deal with White Sox that includes invite to ml ST camp.
    Did not realize SF DFA’d him last year to activate—Ryan Lollis! (ouch) before he finished year with Pit.

Last night also big stage for Roz, who got to do the silly in game interviews with both coaches and talked with announcers during the game and afterward with Curry for TNT. Players lately seem bored with her lengthy involved questions and in a hurry to get away.
    Hope the exposure convinces someone to take her away from all this, farther the better. Attractive gal who gets all glammed up for this and knows the game from college ball at Stanford but like AmyG everything is all about her. Nothing she does is necessary to a broadcast of a game.

• chipower9 said, on February 10, 2016 at 9:22 am

So, is there any reason we cannot enjoy both the game for what it is, and the eye candy???

• unca_chuck said, on February 10, 2016 at 9:56 am

Yeah, these sideline (and in-dugout) interviews are here to stay. It is especially annoying when they come back from break,and do the split screen thing. Basketball is too fast-moving to try and shoehorn the interview in during game time.

9. chipower9 said, on February 10, 2016 at 9:24 am

Bernie Sanders wants a political revolution.

Flappers want Flav to update the BBOTD page with a Beautiful Buxom Babe (B-cubed).

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 10, 2016 at 3:53 pm

I second that!

10. zumiee said, on February 10, 2016 at 9:40 am

I got the 2016 Baseball Prospectus book yesterday (on my Kindle.)
    They are very high on Belt. They consider him one of the best players in the league. They love the Giants.

11. Macdog said, on February 10, 2016 at 10:16 am

Team Belt should start with this: https://youtu.be/KTOFbJg4-k0

12. Flavor said, on February 10, 2016 at 10:29 am

Stability…..
    Ben Nicholson-Smith ‏@bnicholsonsmith 2m2 minutes ago
    Every NL team except the #Giants has made a managerial change since 2010

13. Macdog said, on February 10, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Baggs: The Giants have avoided arbitration with Brandon Belt. They signed him to a one-year contract.

• Flavor said, on February 10, 2016 at 12:32 pm

well, they still made him and his team prepare a case. That had to be irritating. Not sure what the point of all this was. I guess he gets a year to show he can stay healthy.

14. unca_chuck said, on February 10, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Yup. He’s like a puppy on a chain. Good boy. Good boy. Yank!

The last time he nearly went to arb, he missed the start of camp because he was flying around so much.

• chipower9 said, on February 10, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Yep. He was flying to Florida which was the site of the hearing then. This year it was in Phoenix, so there was going to be no such shenanigans. Plus, we are still one week from pitchers and catchers report…let alone position players.

15. chipower9 said, on February 10, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Damn…I am slipping in my older age. I was off on the prediction for Belt by 50k. I predicted $6.25 mil earlier on the thread…Belt and Giants settled in at a cool $6.2.

And so it remains that 2004 is the last year in which the Giants went to arbitration with a player.

16. unca_chuck said, on February 10, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Huh. Didn’t see that Belt was diagnosed as free of post-concussion symptoms in December of last year.

17. pawliekokonuts said, on February 10, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Just catching up. So for Belt v. Giants it was like two warring spouses in the hallway before walking into Family Court.

An agent suggested I turn my memoir into fiction.

I may.

I just retrieved “A Fan’s Notes” by Frederick Exley from the library. That’s what he did.

Otherwise, in the February doldrums. Need some female skin.