The Dunk of My Life

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 14, 2016

I’ve missed a handful of dunk contests over the years but I’ve seen most of them. I definitely haven’t missed any of the epic dunks.

So when I declared (on twitter) that Gordon’s dunk over the top of the mascot while sliding the ball under BOTH legs was the best dunk I’ve ever seen I immediately started getting *dunk call regret*. Figured I’d gotten caught up in the moment. Figured the memories of Dominique and Jordan and Carter had finally flittered away.

And then I saw the 3-D vine of it and *dunk call regret* quickly faded. I mean, come ON. This is INSANE. It’s not the prettiest dunk. It’s not the most powerful dunk. But the immutable laws of *verticality* broken here combined with the awkward position of his body at peak height….for me it makes it the best dunk I’ve ever seen in one of the contests. The human body is not supposed to be able to do this……..

1. Flavor said, on February 14, 2016 at 5:34 am

Wilco and Blade: Last night, I built 10 CBB teams for the early slate today and on one of my teams I have Denzel Valentine, Jordan Loveridge and Valentine Izundu. Didn’t realize till just now what an epic all-Valentine’s Day LU that is. lol.

• wilcojoe said, on February 14, 2016 at 7:47 am

No Collin Hartman?

Yeah I agree with everything you said about the dunk contest. I showed that dunk to my son this morning and he thought it was from a video game. He still doesn’t believe it was real.

2. willedav said, on February 14, 2016 at 8:31 am

Can’t believe Oregon lost to Stanford, 9th in the league.
    Then again, SC lost to ASU, 11th, and like Oregon and Washington, could get swept on road.
    While a bunch of Pac12 teams could get in, the way they play on road could doom them all first weekend.

Watched St Mary’s and their 3 pt shooters last night hit 2 thirds of them, amazing.

Wilco–saw Texas at Iowa St last night, good game. When did Texas go to those gray(?) road unis?

• wilcojoe said, on February 14, 2016 at 9:42 am

Yeah, they added a couple alternate jerseys this year, grey and black. I dig them.

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2016 at 9:52 am

it’s like we discussed the other day: good Pac 12 teams go on the road and turn into bad Pac 12 teams. Stanford is a horrible bball team that might not even make the NIT this year. Oregon had no business losing to them.

3. blade3colorado said, on February 14, 2016 at 8:45 am

Just woke up. Long night (smiles), so I didn’t see the dunk contest. One of the first emails I opened was Yard Barker and they had a still photo of that dunk . . . Then I saw the video. Wow! Hmm, then I went to yesterday’s late comments here and read them, including yours Flavor about “Gordon was better.” Finally, saw your pronouncement of his being the all time best dunk EVER and couldn’t agree more. I’ve seen them all too, including Vince Carter’s show back in 2000 (I think), where I thought he put on one of the greatest dunk performances ever. Anywho, I agree – GORDON WAS BETTER AND HE GOT ROBBED. I know Levine did that last dunk between his legs starting at the free throw line, but what Gordon did was better in my opinion, because of the added factor of having the Mascot to jump over. Regardless, great show by both of them.

By the by, the 1988 Jordan and Wilkins show was great, but no way, no how, did it even compare to what these 2 guys did.

Great CBB team Flavor! 🙂

• wilcojoe said, on February 14, 2016 at 9:50 am

Yeah I just went to YouTube and watched the Jordan and Wilkins dunks again. They’re actually quite underwhelming compared to what is being done today.

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2016 at 9:53 am

even Jordan launching from the free throw line—he had the ball with him when he took off. Freaking Lavine took off from maybe 5 inches closer but snared the ball out of the air (!!!) before slamming it home.

4. alleykat69 said, on February 14, 2016 at 10:31 am

Yeah Gordon was better, no doubt about it.Should of never came down to extra dunk rounds!
    Gordon’s creativity far more stylish then LaVine.
    The other dunk with the Mascot spinning with ball above his head and Gordon timing the grab and slam was impressive as well..

5. gianthead said, on February 14, 2016 at 11:09 am

Like most of everyone, dunk contests have become oh so boring. Last night was the greatest dunk off ever….after Gordon kept one upping Lavine and Lavine then responding was really one hell of a show. When Gordon did the above I said it was the greatest physical dunk of all time. No one has ever even attempted anything like that….incredible….

• gianthead said, on February 14, 2016 at 11:16 am

His dunk with the spinning mascot hand behind his head vogueing may be the second greatest dunk of all time…that he did both on the first take really is indescribable….

6. blade3colorado said, on February 14, 2016 at 11:31 am

Been an Aaron Gordon fan for awhile (dude has won me some DFS coin). Equally important, he’s a gracious loser (are you listening Cam????), saying this:

“Zach’s an incredible dunker,” Gordon said. “He went through the legs from the free-throw line. That is insane. So off that dunk, you’ve got to give it to him. That’s why the trophy’s with him and not with me.”

• willedav said, on February 14, 2016 at 11:39 am

coached against him when he was in 7th grade. Let’s just say he wasn’t gracious loser then–my team beat his twice and won the league title on his home floor in OT and my kids didn’t like his tude at all. Older bro Drew of course noted head case from college days.
      Kinda surprised he left zona after 1 year, nba lot tougher at his size.

• gianthead said, on February 14, 2016 at 11:46 am

But it appears he has matured…I did not realize how big he is until last night….

• willedav said, on February 14, 2016 at 11:55 am

He went from public school to private local powerhouse Arch Mitty where he went to state finals.
        One of top players in state by time he left.
        My guess is NBA a humbling experience. He mostly has come off bench for Magic and they are having a rough season. He’s still kind of a tweener, not big enough for power forward inside/good enough perimeter J.

• blade3colorado said, on February 14, 2016 at 11:58 am

7th grade? Come on Willie . . . He was what – 12 years old? Hilarious.

7. willedav said, on February 14, 2016 at 11:47 am

Raftery doing the Michigan St-Indiana game (very good job) and mention comparison btw D Valentine and Draymond. V does bring ball up court and has range and sees court really well. I think that is one of things that stands out most about Green and GS–under Kerr they make unselfish extra passes make good decisions and play very smart ball. Only thing holding them back are the turnovers in half court trying to be too slick.

8. Macdog said, on February 14, 2016 at 12:01 pm

30-5-13: Happy Denzel Day!

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Yeah. Great start to my all-Valentine team!

9. Flavor said, on February 14, 2016 at 12:39 pm

I could still dunk a basketball up until about 5 years ago. Anyone else here? San Diggity? I can still get a tennis ball dunked. But in a few years….

10. Flavor said, on February 14, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Gordon is starting now, just was coming off bench earlier in year. And Lavine is seeing more min this year, tho still usually coming off bench. It’s nice to see guys who can dunk can also play the game. There have been a few dunk winners that literally couldn’t play, just dunk.

11. snarkk said, on February 14, 2016 at 1:00 pm

According to Baggs, Timmy once gave Pablo a T-shirt that said, “I have the body of a god. Unfortunately it’s Buddha.”…

12. willedav said, on February 14, 2016 at 2:24 pm

My experience watching local HS teams, mostly on girls side lately, is that the better teams of private schools really aren’t into sportsmanship. In other words they have no problem beating you by 40 or 50; if they are a pressing/trapping team or one that shoots primarily 3s they don’t stop doing it regardless of score. So they continue pounding away with the excuse, “this is how we play.”

I was taught differently–you get up to where game is in hand you call off the dogs, sub end of bench guys in and take the W. I remember being on other bench when Ro Craig (Roger’s kid who wound up at USC) of Mitty scored 31 because coach didn’t start her but left her in all the way to the end.

There’s a story AGordon wrote for Bleacher Report about a guy he dunked on as a frosh (with scene by scene pix) in NorCal championships where he’s going, “hey dude you’re not the first.” I always wondered how guys like this head fit through gym doors.

13. Flavor said, on February 14, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Phil. Jesus, what a choke job.

14. zumiee said, on February 14, 2016 at 6:20 pm

There’s some worthwhile documentaries showing on the MLB Network. An interesting and poignant history of the Montreal Expos; a look at how Spring Training got started; a Dusty Baker biography; and a look back at the Mets ’15 season. The Mets one is worth it for the fan interviews. Hilarious, especially Jim Breuer and Hank Azaria. They “get” baseball torture.

15. zumiee said, on February 14, 2016 at 6:22 pm

I’m not one to usually watch a dunk contest, but those two guys were spectacular.

16. blade3colorado said, on February 14, 2016 at 8:34 pm

No idea if the All Star game was a joke because I was doing something else . . . But I just saw the score:

1 2 3 4 T
    WEST 40 52 53 51 196
    EAST 43 47 46 37 173

Someone clue me in – did ANYONE play defense?

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2016 at 8:39 pm

steph hit a half court shot to end the game. That tells you all you need to know.

17. zumiee said, on February 14, 2016 at 8:39 pm

196-173, proving again that baseball has, by far, the best All-Star game.
    We can’t even talk about the Pro Bowl, that complete farce.

• blade3colorado said, on February 14, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Yeah, and didn’t Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin coach it? 🙂

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Yeah, I’m guessing no NFL headcoaches want any part of the thing anymore.

• unca_chuck said, on February 14, 2016 at 9:46 pm

No, Irvin and Rice draft the teams. NFL coaches still coach it. For whatever that’s worth. Hey, it’s still and all-expense week in Hawaii.

18. blade3colorado said, on February 14, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Just read where two people walking across the Golden Gate bridge were hit with blow darts. No doubt a Borneo headhunter couple on a Valentine’s Day outing in Marin.

19. zumiee said, on February 15, 2016 at 7:40 am

Interesting “30 for 30” documentary on ESPN 2 about the ’83 North Carolina St. team. There’s so much I’d forgotten about that team. They had an amazing run.