Possibly the Worst Sports Story The Flap Has Ever Covered

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 15, 2016

Or maybe it’s the best?

Hope you all are enjoying your day off if you have one. If this is just like any other day for you, hey, this isn’t bad.

My buddy Dave (nicknamed “Pa”) is having an ok time. He and his girlfriend are on a *poker cruise* and I texted him a preferred Bill Murray movie line just to mess with him. This is the text I got back (it’s rad):

Chi, when do pitchers and catchers report? I’m pretty sure “poker against Orel Hershiser’s drunk wife” is scrapping the bottom of the sports barrel……

Screenshot_20160215-073740

And a quick “Orel Hershiser and wife” search turned up this so I’m guessing Dave’s description of the game last night wasn’t too far off. lulz

Screenshot 2016-02-15 at 7.52.04 AM

1. unca_chuck said, on February 15, 2016 at 8:23 am

Yeah no holiday for me. Hope Pa fleeces bulldog AND his bitch.

2. Bozo said, on February 15, 2016 at 9:02 am

From the Dunk to the Drunk.

• Flavor said, on February 15, 2016 at 9:09 am

early morning POTD sighting. Nice.

3. Flavor said, on February 15, 2016 at 9:22 am

I’m imagining Hershiser’s wife has some type of limits placed on her. She can’t just be running a line of credit, can she? Maybe Orel gives her a tournament entry fee or something and when’s she’s knocked out it’s back to the booze for the rest of the night. Or maybe she gets one bullet for a cash game? I’m envisioning a hilarious scenario where Orel is on the table behind her, wins a huge pot but instead of the chips going to him they get run on a conveyer belt right over to his wife…
    lulz…

4. snarkk said, on February 15, 2016 at 10:44 am

There was a rumor once that Orel was a Giant for a while. It was just that. A rumor…

5. snarkk said, on February 15, 2016 at 11:24 am

Long article on Peyton and the Mannings. I never heard this story before, apparently it’s been out for years, but now coming back because of a new lawsuit against the U of Tennessee for systemic discrimination. I never bought the ‘aw shucks” thing from Manning, we all know the hype machine of pro sports. But, there’s some serious allegations of nefarious behavior here, particularly against the Manning family after the alleged incident that started it all. BTW, looks like we’re still waiting for Manning to file his defamation suit against Al Jazeera…

6. willedav said, on February 15, 2016 at 11:35 am

The Manning thing at UT seems minor, but as a pattern of what athletes can get away with/behavior swept under the table by colleges, disgusting.
    Didn’t FSU pay off rather handsomely the gal who accused Jameis Winston?
    There is also a suit going at Oregon by gal who got assaulted by a b-ball player recruited there by Altman who had similar issues at prior college.
    The guy Hope Solo is married to was one of a number of Neuheisel’s UW football players involved in assault that were allowed to remain in the program.

Just for once I’d like to see colleges drop the hammer on these criminals—revoke the scholarships, throw them out of the school and make sure local police put them in jail and prosecute the guilty.

7. snarkk said, on February 15, 2016 at 12:49 pm

i did a quick search on NFL.com about this latest Peyton Manning thing. Not one article on it. I’ve largely lost my appetite for NFL football. The product has terribly declined, it’s horrible to watch with all the constant penalties, and its the most corrupt of all the major sports in the US. At least ESPN is reporting the Manning thing…

• zumiee said, on February 15, 2016 at 1:15 pm

There’s testimony that New England’s Spygate was quite a large operation, but the NFL made that go away as quickly as they could. Goodall’s big reaction to Deflate-gate was seen as Goodall trying to do a “make-up call” because the other owners were fed up with New England’s cheating.

8. unca_chuck said, on February 15, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Goodell is Il Duce. Or Il douche. Fucking tool. Between all this shit around spygate, deflate-gate, hiding/poo-pooing concussion studies, and all the suicides/murders/beatings, it’s a wonder this shit isn’t collapsing under its own weight. As Mark Cuban once said, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. Goodell seems to be driving the NFL to the grinder.

Speaking of sucking, I was perusing the Warriors schedule, and they get 4 days off followed by 6 games in 9 days. On the road. Portland, LA, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, and Okie. I get that they travel pretty cush, but the schedule makers seem hell-bent on burning them out.

I guess the payoff is that 20 of their last 24 games are at home.

9. Macdog said, on February 15, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Speaking of Orel, I just saw a player on NC State named BeeJay Anya.

• Flavor said, on February 15, 2016 at 6:10 pm

if he could stay out of foul trouble he’d put up some nice block/rebound numbers. Looks like he did ok today.

10. zumiee said, on February 15, 2016 at 5:01 pm

For what it’s worth, Atlantis sports book (whatever that is) has NL over/under wins at:
    Giants: 90
    Dodgers: 87
    D-Backs: 84

11. snarkk said, on February 15, 2016 at 5:51 pm

On paper, before we see anything in ST, the Giants look like they should be on the “over” side of the 90…

• zumiee said, on February 15, 2016 at 6:11 pm

A great sign is that Panik and Pence say they are 100% recovered.

12. zumiee said, on February 15, 2016 at 6:10 pm

I should have mentioned that was for the NL West. No one else has a higher number from Atlantis, though. Their number for the Mets is 88, the Nats 87, and the Cards 87.

• Flavor said, on February 15, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Cubbies at 102. That’s absurd. I’d take the under on that all day long. If I bet on baseball team futures. Which I don’t. ๐Ÿ™‚

• zumiee said, on February 15, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Who has the Cubs at 102? That’s really high. Atlantis has them at 89, I think.

• Flavor said, on February 15, 2016 at 6:37 pm

P-Con was doing his KNBR show today and cited *vegas* as the source. I’ll consider this unconfirmed till I hear otherwise.

13. Flavor said, on February 15, 2016 at 6:12 pm

nobody will ever catch me making a future bet on a sports team. Way too much shit goes down over the course of the year. Teams at the beginning of the season never look the same at the end of it, especially in baseball. I’m not telling you anything you don’t know.
    Horses are a different story…..

14. Irish Kevin said, on February 15, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Yeah not sure if I am excited the Giants are favored or not. Especially since the 3 in4 thing they were never flavored. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

15. snarkk said, on February 15, 2016 at 7:15 pm

I’ve seen Vegas with Cubs at 7:1, RSox 8:1, Giants 10:1 to win the WS…

16. willedav said, on February 15, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Didn’t one of the Cubs teams win 116 games and set NL record?
    Obviously, like a Century ago.

• zumiee said, on February 15, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Yeah, and being the Cubs, they lost the World Series. 1906 vs. the White Sox.

17. zumiee said, on February 15, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Speaking of new seasons, the new season of Better Call Saul starts tonight.

18. willedav said, on February 15, 2016 at 8:25 pm

McCovey Chron guy has awesome (and long) rundown of FanFest stuff, separated by different groupings including even few ? asked of the trainer staff. Good read.