More Fanfest Snub Fallout

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 16, 2016

The Giants being favored in 2016 is hardly surprising. We added 2 stud pitchers and a quality leadoff man to a team that already had a very good nucleus. Vegas is just telling us stuff we already knew.

I read a tweet from someone yesterday who said he’s not doing fanfest anymore because of the long lines. Said he waited 4 hours in line for 1 autograph.

Seriously? Didn’t he kinda see the writing on the wall after hour number 1? Who sits in line for 4 hours at fanfest?

Does anyone know how many players missed fanfest? I know Bumgarner, Pagan and Cueto missed it. I give the Latin guys a break because it’s a pain in the ass to travel into the country but Bumgarner? Nah, he should have made it. According to Baer he is driving in from NC and he was in Arizona the day of Fanfest. You can’t jump on a 90 minute flight? That’s lame.

1. Bozo said, on February 16, 2016 at 6:51 am

I read that Bum got hung up because of some issues he had hauling his horse to AZ. Probably just problems with the “technology and stuff” on his Chevy truck.

• Flavor said, on February 16, 2016 at 8:45 am

he brought his horse with him?

• Bozo said, on February 16, 2016 at 9:17 am

It was an assumption by Baggs on a 2/12 Giants Extra –

“Madison Bumgarner was a late scratch for FanFest because of an undisclosed conflict, although I heard that he is driving a horse trailer to Scottsdale from his North Carolina ranch.

Having seen Johnny Cueto’s Instagrams, I suspect he’s riding shotgun.

Neither Cueto nor Bumgarner will be able to greet fans on Saturday. Jeff Samardzija, also had other commitments (his wife was due around this time) and will not attend.”

2. unca_chuck said, on February 16, 2016 at 7:10 am

I think I waited 35 mins for eeeeuuuhennnio, Romo , and Will the Thrill. My son got a pic with Will as well. This was in2010.

4 hours? That’s like the folks in Sonoma waiting for 9 hours to buy a 12 pack of Pliny the Younger. Foolish.

• sfsarge said, on February 16, 2016 at 7:51 am

Now, beer on the other hand. 9 hours is a perfectly reasonable amount of time to wait.

• Bozo said, on February 16, 2016 at 8:52 am

I could see waiting 4 hours at Momo’s waiting for an autograph. You’d probably do better than 1.

• chipower9 said, on February 16, 2016 at 9:33 am

Ha…no shit John! Just keep lining up the cocktails until it is time for that autograph.

• sfsarge said, on February 16, 2016 at 9:38 am

You’d probably be waiting for 4 hours for a drink at Momo’s. Especially before a big game.

• chipower9 said, on February 16, 2016 at 10:37 am

Been there, done that, Sarge (MoMo’s before a big game or on Opening Day).

3. sfsarge said, on February 16, 2016 at 7:20 am

The kids wanted to go, but we got hung up around the house and missed it. I’m kinda glad I got out of it. Like I said before, there is no one on this earth that I am willing to wait in line 2 hours to meet, let alone 4.

Can’t wait till opening day. I definitely plan on being there. And since I’m counting down the time till opening day, is 6 weeks of spring training really necessary?

• willedav said, on February 16, 2016 at 8:34 am

No esp in this case Giants are dang well set for the 25. Unless someone has health issues, x amount of ABs (25 maybe?) should suffice. And remember it was in ST that the Cubs nailed Pence and ruined his year.

I really can’t watch ST games until they get up here to play the A’s and team is mostly set. Even then at least one of those has A’s team doing the game, ugh.

Writers strain too. Endless stories about guys hanging on or with zero chance of contributing to anything but the waiver wire. Exhibit A— J Gomes is on front page of Chron sports today.

Winning reg season games vs. winning championship, like Zum mentioned about ’06 Cubs. Warriors without a ring this year will be mighty disappointed even if they break Bulls record. Cards won 100 last yea only to get bounced early and as we all know Mattingly and LA won division 3 years in a row.

• chipower9 said, on February 16, 2016 at 10:41 am

I love a ST game if my ass is sitting in the stands in one of the lovely ballparks that surround the Phoenix area. I just love the “rights of spring feel of welcoming baseball back into my life” that comes with a ST game.

Scottsdale Stadium seems antiquated now with all the new ballparks getting built down there. Plus, you can get a better seat for less coin by going to see the Gigantes at one of the other teams’ yards.

4. blade3colorado said, on February 16, 2016 at 8:14 am

Shit, I didn’t wait a half hour to see the Hagia Sophia or Acropolis . . . I wouldn’t wait five minutes to get someone’s autograph.

• Bozo said, on February 16, 2016 at 9:27 am

Steve, do you remember crossing the Alligator River Bridge when we went to lunch? It sure was blowing here a couple hours ago.

• blade3colorado said, on February 16, 2016 at 10:02 am

Hell yeah . . . If I recall correctly, that bridge was 3-4 miles in length. Gorgeous day when I crossed it, but would NOT want to be on it during one of your infamous storms (especially if there are frickin’ alligators in it . . . Which by the by, are there?).

John, by the way, the link did not work that you provided.

• Bozo said, on February 16, 2016 at 10:18 am

Sorry about that. They were having problems with their servers earlier, I was just able to connect. Sections of the river do have gators, but usually closer to shore and surrounding canals.

• blade3colorado said, on February 16, 2016 at 11:02 am

Ahh . . . I was able to link to the article and photos this time. Wow . . . Tree landed perfectly on the bed. 🙂

5. chipower9 said, on February 16, 2016 at 9:37 am

Yeah, all of these “waiting in line” stories are excellent reminders of why I have not been to a fan fest in years. My favorite part of the whole gig is just sitting in the stands, listening to the players, and walking around on the field. I did stand in line for about an hour years ago to get into the club house. That was worth the wait to see that and come up the tunnel and sit in the dugout.

And if a player does not make it, hey, life fucking happens. We all know Bum would rather be mucking a stall (shoveling horse shit) than doing the fan fest thing.

6. chipower9 said, on February 16, 2016 at 9:37 am

Only ONE day until pitchers and catchers report…

7. chipower9 said, on February 16, 2016 at 9:40 am

Sarge – you mentioned opening day. I will definitely be there. Any other Flappers plan to be there? If so, we all should meet up at some point and knock-back a cold one!

And I have wondered the same many times…is it really necessary to have six weeks of spring training? Whatever…I am just glad that baseball is almost back. I got my automatic renewal notice from MLB over the weekend for my Lameday audio subscription. Baseball on the radio baby! Cannot wait!

8. snarkk said, on February 16, 2016 at 10:58 am

I never understood the autograph thing. Not ragging on those that want them, I just don’t see much purpose in it, especially if the person just signs and barely acknowledges your existence…

• alleykat69 said, on February 16, 2016 at 11:04 am

Agree Snarkk,
      I get enough non-existence looks in regular folks let alone a celebrity athlete..

• blade3colorado said, on February 16, 2016 at 11:07 am

Well stated. I feel the same way.

9. Flavor said, on February 16, 2016 at 11:30 am

ty blach in Scottsdale. Looks like someone missed some gym visits this off season.

• blade3colorado said, on February 16, 2016 at 11:47 am

Agree Flav . . . He looks “Phil Mickelson” doughy.

10. alleykat69 said, on February 16, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Wonder if the Bumgarners hauled their cow out to Arizona?
    The cost of a gallon of milk is up to $3.07 a gallon..

• zumiee said, on February 16, 2016 at 3:45 pm

I always like when a politician gets asked how much a gallon of milk costs or a dozen eggs. You see the panic behind the politicians’ frozen smile.

11. zumiee said, on February 16, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Setting aside the issue of Spring Training being too long, I do like to catch some of the televised games. I like how the MLB Network gives a wide range of games, and I like hearing the optimism coming from all the teams’ broadcasters. That’s part of Spring Training, the optimism, the re-birth of each team. It makes me feel…..young! Well, young-ER. 🙂 Isn’t that part of the reason we love baseball? Each season makes us feel kind of young again.

• xoot said, on February 16, 2016 at 4:19 pm

The radio broadcasts on the weekends are good, too.

12. Flavor said, on February 16, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Still reeling from the Ty Blach vid. DId he work out at all over the Winter? He has tits AND a gut. For a pro ballplayer who hasn’t yet made it I would think he would work out a little in the off season. He looks like he belongs on the Web.com tour not in a freaking mlb clubhouse.
    College basketball take: I think it’s about 10 X more interesting than the NBA. Steph brought me back to the NBA but I could watch Northwestern vs Purdue (or whoever) every time over an NBA game. Only big neg for me is the 5 foul thing.

• willedav said, on February 16, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Agreed. Warriors are only NBA team I can watch but I enjoyed hell out of switching back and forth btw AZ-UCLA and Monmouth at Rider last week.

13. Flavor said, on February 16, 2016 at 7:08 pm

interested to see what the Rox do with the likely to be suspended Reyes. THe prudent move would be to sign Desmond but we all know how cheap their ownership group is (Blade tells us 20 times a year 🙂 ) Would they spend the coin to fill a need like this?

14. blade3colorado said, on February 16, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Here’s 21 . . . They will do nothing. In fact, it will be zzzzzzzzzzz’s around these parts until the trade deadline and then they will get rid of Cargo.

15. snarkk said, on February 16, 2016 at 11:38 pm

I second the viewing of college basketball over the NBA. Much prefer the energy level, the defensive effort. Doesn’t matter that they miss more shots than the NBA, they should — they’re kids. Only the resurgence of the Dubs has brought me back to care a whit about the NBA, and that’s only regarding games the Dubs play. I watched 1/2 of a high school game tonight, where the younger Snarkette performed at half time on the dance squad. These high school kids really had some offensive sets down, good passing, and could handle pretty well — some were good at knowing when to take it to the hole. In between the legs, crossovers, behind the back to get loose on a fast break. Got open shots for jumpers, but lots of bricks even when open. That’s OK, good energy and effort. I enjoyed it…