Stark’s Worst of the Year

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 18, 2016

Jason Stark does a poll each off season gauging the opinions of *35 baseball executives*—best and worst free agent signings. Here is his worst list:

stark.PNG

I think Grienke got listed as *the best*. That’s hilarious to me.

Hey, if you want to read some good stuff go check out Twinner at the end of the last thread.

1. willedav said, on February 18, 2016 at 8:02 am

Yeah Twin post was nice. so was yours about college venues (watched great game from Pit Boise St. vs. New Mexico last night) and I heartily agree on roy boy. Says all the right things but loses way too many games given the talent he has every year, like last night, at home no less.

There’s a better list of dumb off season moves by clubs on F/G I read yesterday.

I can see how giving $90 mil to Samrdz can be viewed as a bad deal but not Cueto. Giants rotation is much improved; given park factor and excellent D behind them not unreasonable to think both provide good value.
    Should also lessen wear and tear on pen and buy another year for Heston and others to show they can deserve a shot to replace Peavy. Affeldt seemed to have no worries Cain bounces back and is ready to go, which might be bigger gamble at $20 mil than Samrz or Cueto.

2. zumiee said, on February 18, 2016 at 8:04 am

The price to do business with free agents is very high these days. The market is what it is. Lots of TV money is flowing into baseball. I know a lot of adults who don’t follow the sport all that closely but who watch Giants games on TV with a huge amount of devotion. They’ve caught on to the wonderful everyday-ness of the baseball season.
    Kids don’t follow baseball much anymore, but some of them catch on to it as adults.
    The Giants have done an awesome job of marketing to women.

3. chipower9 said, on February 18, 2016 at 8:16 am

Twin’s post was awesome. And to the college hoops, I mentioned that St. Mary’s plays @ Gonzaga on Saturday. That should be a very entertaining game. I will be surprised if both do not make the NCAA tourney this year.

12 days until the first Giant spring training game.

46 days until the first regular season game.

49 days until the home opener!

Speaking of the home opener, how many of you plan to be there? I know Sarge has said he plans to be there, and he and I have exchanged contact info with the plans to meet up and knock-back a cold one together. Would be cool if opening day ended up being a Flapalooza of sorts.

Four in Seven!

Humm Baby – Let’s Do It Again!

And thanks again Flav for updating the BBOTD. I ain’t Trippin’…Keep the Drip Drippin!’

4. gianthead said, on February 18, 2016 at 8:36 am

HATTAS GOTTA HATE…or something like that…

It is like these Royal fans I just had lunch with and they are happy to get rid of Cueto and his 4.00 ERA. I have to remind them that Cueto ain’t pitching in the AL any longer and their ridiculous bandboxes and ridiculous DH hitters…as I told them during the WS, Cueto would do just fine against the Mets. I think we got the biggest steals in baseball and Heyward clearly was the “worst” signing, but best for him….

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 18, 2016 at 9:17 am

I can see the reasoning behind Cueto and Samardjizz landing on Stark’s list. Both of them are typical buy low Giants signings. So is Spahn for that matter. The fact that buying low is in the $200M range is crazy though.

6. chipower9 said, on February 18, 2016 at 9:21 am

I like the signings, and am as excited (if not more so) about this years squad as I ever have been about a Giant team coming into spring training. All those Pole-smoking Fuckwad Duckweeds can go pound sand.

7. Bozo said, on February 18, 2016 at 9:31 am

the season hasn’t even started and we already have 2 on a top 7 list, sweet.

I’m not that worried about his list, Stark had the Padres as the most improved NL team last year and this was his 2015 best signing list –

BEST FREE-AGENT SIGNINGS

Russell Martin (Blue Jays) — 11
    James Shields (Padres) — 11
    Jon Lester (Cubs) — 8
    Adam LaRoche (White Sox) — 7
    Pablo Sandoval (Red Sox) — 6
    Andrew Miller (Yankees) — 5

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2016 at 9:40 am

lol, AWESOME find, Clown

• chipower9 said, on February 18, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Pure gold!~

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 18, 2016 at 9:45 am

These lists are fun to bat around. There was also a list put out ranking the best MLB managers. Maddon finished 1st with Bochy 2nd. Funny since Maddon hasn’t won a WS despite having some of the most coveted free agents in Price, Shields and Zobrist.

9. willedav said, on February 18, 2016 at 10:34 am

We’ll see about Heyward, esp long term, but I thought he would have fit very nicely in Giants LU for many years to come. He’s got about 4 tools out of 5, plays D, runs well, and tho he wouldn’t hit many HRs at ATT should put up good slugging pct with doubles and triples.
    Stealing him away from Cards quite a coup for Cubs.

Hope Span can stay healthy as I’d really like to avoid Giants having to shop for a CF in near future.

Yeah that “best of” list from last year is full of utter fails and overpays.

10. unca_chuck said, on February 18, 2016 at 10:39 am

That’s the thing, Bozo. No one (mostly) looks back at what any of these talking heads report as the truth.
    To look back is to realize they are wrong about 98% of the time. But that doesn’t stop them.

That list is great. LaRoche and Pablo ?

Thing is, Smardfhkfdjbha, Cueto and the rest can’t be rated good or bad until the season is over at the least.

11. alleykat69 said, on February 18, 2016 at 11:04 am

Ahh Baseball is back!
    Bum just dropped his 1st “SnotRocket” next to Smarzaloopa after a wind sprint! The ST has officially started!!

12. willedav said, on February 18, 2016 at 11:13 am

Been saying this all season, but Cal has chance to get nearer top of league (top 4 avoid first round games at conference tourney) with a road win at UW. Past time they show their game travels outside of Haas–defense plus good decisions fewer turnovers and some perimeter scoring. Wazzu is dead last so a road sweep would look good on the resume…tho losing one or two relegates them back to mid pack in a so so league.

Romar has done a pretty good job over there (I like his O sets) and he has good young players. Funny, my buddies couldn’t stand him when he was a Warrior.

13. unca_chuck said, on February 18, 2016 at 11:50 am

Shout out to the Humm Baby himself. Roger Craig is 86 years old today . . .

14. zumiee said, on February 18, 2016 at 11:54 am

Speaking of pundits, and how rarely they are called on their misfire predictions….
    You all might remember a political roundtable show called The McLaughlin Group. I think it was on PBS. McLaughlin was a loud, blustery host. At the end of the each show, his panelists would all make predictions regarding politics and the news. Nate Silver did a study of how successful the McLaughlin Group predictions were. He found that each panelist was right about 50% of the time. In other words, they were more or less as accurate as just flipping a coin.

• snarkk said, on February 18, 2016 at 11:19 pm

I remember it. Pat Buchanan was the token reich winger and ex-Nixonian nut. Kind of an amusing pundit show. McLaughlin is an ex-priest…

15. zumiee said, on February 18, 2016 at 11:59 am

Leave it to the Kings to make a wrong choice. I’m not one who’s always calling for coaches’ heads, but it was absolutely the right move to fire Karl. But what did the Kings do? They double-down on Karl and keep him.
    They have the most talented big man in the game, but what does Karl want to do? Run and gun, run and gun. Ultimate blame goes to the GM Divak, and the owner. They really don’t know what they’re doing, which is sad, because there is something to build on with this team, despite some bad draft picks.

16. unca_chuck said, on February 18, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Malone was the best guy for the job. And they ran hi out on a ail when Cousins went down with a staph infection.. Stoopid.

• zumiee said, on February 18, 2016 at 12:14 pm

I totally agree. Malone had the Kings playing much better defense, moving the ball better on offense, and buying into a team concept. He knew they weren’t a running team; they didn’t have the players for that. They were a ‘slow it down and use the clock’ team. Maybe not as “entertaining,” but with a better chance to win.

• sfsarge said, on February 18, 2016 at 12:21 pm

They wanted run a high tempo team like the one down 80. But they didn’t have the horses. They canned Malone and the team has been unwatchable since.

17. sfsarge said, on February 18, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Just saw the most baffling hat. I even snuck and took a picture, but I don’t know how to post it.

• chipower9 said, on February 18, 2016 at 3:53 pm

What was it?

18. blade3colorado said, on February 18, 2016 at 12:22 pm

In fairness to Lester and Miller, it could easily be argued they had good seasons . . . That being said, 2 out 6 is piss poor.

19. sfsarge said, on February 18, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Ok, I know this doesn’t have anything to do with anything, but I just saw some jack wagon wearing a Detroit Tigers hat in A’s colors. Why would anyone buy that hideous thing? If I weren’t such a huge Giants fan, I would wear Tiger’s gear. They’re so classic how can you not love them.

Sorry for the digression, carry on.

20. unca_chuck said, on February 18, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Spring training rockets. Bummie is in mid-season form

First #MadBum snot rocket of 2016 ✔️ @ahmedfareed #SpringTraining

A post shared by NBC SPORTS BAY AREA (@nbcsauthentic) on

• willedav said, on February 18, 2016 at 1:27 pm

f-ing awesome
      that one’s gotta be archived somewhere…maybe right next to the rings

• unca_chuck said, on February 18, 2016 at 3:17 pm

This one’s pretty cool, too . . . Buster with his sweeeeeeet swing

21. zumiee said, on February 18, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Regarding Stark’s “best” picks last season, we knew Panda’s season was going to be in trouble when we heard two things out of the Red Sox camp. One, Panda blasting the Giants for having tried to micro-manage his conditioning, and, two, the Red Sox manager talking about how they were going to be hands-off regarding Panda’s conditioning, trusting him to be a pro and all that. Well, now, the Red Sox are singing a different tune this season, and lo and behold, there’s a photo out there of Panda looking very fit these days. And maybe he’ll have a monster season. But the Red Sox have learned their lesson.

22. zumiee said, on February 18, 2016 at 3:11 pm

I’m hugely skeptical of the Red Sox’s move of Hanley to firstbase. I don’t see it working very well. He’s not a good defender anymore, if he ever was.

23. zumiee said, on February 18, 2016 at 3:17 pm

The Dodgers-sphere is very excited about the Dodgers having 7 prospects on Baseball America’s 2016 Top 100 list.
    Someone has pointed out that the 2006 Dodgers had 9 (!) prospects on that Top 100 list, and we know all the championships that group brought the Dodgers.

24. unca_chuck said, on February 18, 2016 at 3:19 pm

SD wins the preseason
    LA wins the Top 100 list
    SF wins 4 in 7!!!

25. blade3colorado said, on February 18, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Zum, I knew Panda’s season was going to go south when someone here (Flavor?) posted a photo of that fat ass taking grounders in a Red Sox uniform and it was obvious that he was in “Dunlap” mode (as in his stomach done lapped over his belt). Also, when Nipper posted this . . .

Nipper said, on March 9, 2015 at 7:14 pm (Edit)
    I’m just glad I never bought a Panda hat.

26. Irish Kevin said, on February 18, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Zummiee, if you read about Cousins most of the pundits call out how he does not elevate his team, look at the really great players they make the players around them better. Cousins just has not done that. I think the Kings should trade him for a ton of draft picks like the Cowboys did with H WALKER. Just my thought. My Son went crazy when Duke won last night,

• Flavor said, on February 18, 2016 at 6:23 pm

I just enjoyed watching the game. I don’t like either team. But it was a great game.

• Irish Kevin said, on February 18, 2016 at 6:27 pm

My son has been a Duke fan since he was in elementary school. Last year he got to go to a Duke Game, he was in heaven

• unca_chuck said, on February 18, 2016 at 10:57 pm

Karl is playing Cousins all wrong. He’s coaching the whole team wrong.

27. Macdog said, on February 18, 2016 at 7:48 pm

I was shocked Duke managed to win a nail-biter without any help from the refs.

28. Carstie Clausen said, on February 18, 2016 at 7:51 pm

What a welcome for our newbie CFer. Denard Span, on the second day of camp, gets chatted up by the Legend. “Say Hey, you taking over my old job in center. Do us proud.” May not exactly have been what Willie said but i’m sure that was the message. Well done.

29. unca_chuck said, on February 18, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Cal tried their damnedest to give that game away against Washington. The refs were sandbagging as well.

Jaylen Brown is a player though. But holy shit the last 5 minutes took an hour.

• willedav said, on February 19, 2016 at 7:03 am

cbs site ranked Brown in top 25 out of top 100 college players; a dozen from Pac 12 altogether..
      FTs, from both teams, were flat awful. Brown is a lottery pick. I can see Rabb sticking around another year maybe, but not Brown.