Spring Training Wishes

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 19, 2016

What are you guys looking for this Spring Training?

I’d like to see Crawford ditch the man bun. He’s impossible to look with that thing perched atop his dome.

I’d like to see Pagan seamlessly transition to LF.

I’d like to see Pence stop making those stupid short films with his hot fiance.

I’d like to see the young guns in the bullpen cement their roles.

Most of all, just stay healthy.

Thoughts?

_________________

football talk: Here’s the inside of Bob Griese’s helmet in ’73. It’s dripping with CTE…..

helmet

1. eddacker said, on February 19, 2016 at 7:45 am

I am with all of you as usual and nearly as ecstatic as chi that spring training in Scottsdale has begun.
    My two biggest wished this year are one left over from last year: a healthy horse would cement that rotation. I believe the change of venue will be great for both our new starters.
    And panik’s back needs to be as well and wonderful as both Bruce B and Mike K have reported from the early spring press stories. I think a solid middle is a wonderful thing to have.
    I am less concerned about the outfield as the three we have plus blanco seem very capable of doing yeoman’s work there. And I am learning to live without the long ball.

Working out of town valentines weekend I did not even know there was an all star game going on, but now sports is back in my life.
    go Gigantes!

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2016 at 7:54 am

good point on Cainer. I hadn’t even thought of that. And with Krukow predicting him as his favorite for *comeback player of the year* (lqtm) I think we have just about sewn up this *every other year* thing.

• Carstie Clausen said, on February 19, 2016 at 7:54 am

Had the exact same thought about Cain. If the Horse is even 3/4 back the Giants rotation goes from formidable to downright dangerous. I expect that Peavey should be good for that six inning stint once again. If four of the 5 can go seven most games the bullpen will not have to sweat their asses off to keep us in the game. Heston could make for the kinda longman that will allow us to forget that Petit is off to the Nats.

2. eddacker said, on February 19, 2016 at 8:13 am

well, when it comes to understanding this game I am not even worthy of polishing most flapper’s shoes. And if I was even a REAL fan I woould have a tattoo like this guy I met at a friends house this week.

wow.
    When I asked him if that was a SF Giants logo he smiled like no one had ever asked that before.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 19, 2016 at 8:51 am

There’s a lot going on in this picture. Still not a fan of neck tats. Cool shirt though.

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2016 at 9:02 am

lol, I studied this photo for a good 3 minutes.

• wilcojoe said, on February 19, 2016 at 11:33 am

You could write a short story based on what you imagine is going on in this picture…That dude is exactly how I picture Loo’s goon friend, Buzzsaw.

3. Bozo said, on February 19, 2016 at 8:29 am

Spring training wish? That Adrianza doesn’t win a bench spot. Sorry, but its way past time for the Giants to move that guy. We have enough SS in our system and they even have options.

I’m waiting to see who will be the March Big Flavor of the Month. Arroyo? Parker? Kyle Banks? Grant Green? You know the Duffster played every game after Arias was gone, so unless Specs can play some Third, I could see that last bench spot as Green’s to lose.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 19, 2016 at 8:45 am

I’m with you on Adrianza but maybe this is the year he actually makes sense. Someone needs to give Panik and Crawford a day now and then. It may as well be Adrianza so younger players can get more reps at lower levels of the org.

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2016 at 9:01 am

Specs can do that.

4. willedav said, on February 19, 2016 at 8:30 am

A decent backup for 3b behind Duffy. 1b too for that matter so Posey can get real full day off.

One of Williamson/Parker showing they belong up and can hit ml pitching consistently. Unlikely to be proven in ST, sure. Pence and his everyday/every inning stuff have to take back seat and he won’t last forever either.
    Pagan is in walk year (so is Blanco) so one more everyday OF is gonna be needed soon.

Back up C spot–Brown, as Bochy mentioned, showed some things in last month of 2015. Susac, fully healthy, should rebound from last year. If this is position of strength, less issues given amount of rest for Posey.

5. willedav said, on February 19, 2016 at 8:34 am

btw, jazz station (kcsm) I listen to does an hour feature every Friday called “Desert Island”, where a guest picks their 10 fav recordings they would take with them. Today is re-brod of one done with late Dan Hicks, 9 AM our time.
    Didn’t follow his later years much but his early stuff was very interesting and cool music.

• eddacker said, on February 19, 2016 at 9:23 am

Desert island disks is a long running weekly BBC program with many interesting personalities. You can download any of the 1 hour (10 songs and why chosen) programs from 1956 until now here:

Musicians, political and religious leaders, actors and names in the news all get invited and interviewed. Woopie goldberg, steven fry, they are all in there.

enjoy

• xoot said, on February 19, 2016 at 10:09 am

I heard most of that while driving in to work today. Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks (and the Lickettes) provided a lot of the sound track to college in Northern California circa 69-73. Saw them perform a few times back then. I liked his desert island picks.

6. Lurker John said, on February 19, 2016 at 8:46 am

I agree with all the ST things you’d like to see, Flav, they’re all solid baseball things, but I’d ESPECIALLY like to see Craw dump the beard and the Jeri Curl hair-do. A nice buzzcut would be a welcome change. Doesn’t he get hot with all that hair?

Most of all for me, NO INJURIES.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 19, 2016 at 8:50 am

Cain is of most interest to me. Is his slide over the last 2+ years due to injury or is he just a back end of rotation guy now. Williamson winning a spot would be cool but I would probably rather see Pagan man up over in LF. Susac would be a great bench bat and back up to Posey. He shouldn’t be challenged by a guy like Brown. Strickland? Eh.

8. Macdog said, on February 19, 2016 at 8:59 am

1. No injuries.

2. No injuries.

3. No injuries.

9. Flavor said, on February 19, 2016 at 9:00 am

Jimmy Davenport just died. First season playing for the Giants was ’58. Managed them in ’85. 56-88 record. Outfield that season was Chili, Gladden and One Flap Down. David Green hit .248.

• eddacker said, on February 19, 2016 at 9:26 am

His third base play influenced my HS baseball career. Sad moment of silence and appreciation.

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2016 at 9:54 am

I got a chance to talk with him briefly years ago. I was in a hotel bar by Disneyland in the early 90s and he was there playing cards with Mark Fidrych. Really nice guy, I think he liked being recognized. Must have been some sort of card show or something happening down there, because I saw a few ex players walking around.
      RIP Jimmy.

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 19, 2016 at 9:12 am

Good point about Tomlinson above, Flav. I always forget about that guy. The club has built up some decent depth with Williamson, Parker (although I’m not real big on this dude), Susac & Tomlinson and that’s not even including Banks and whoever that other minor league guy is that they signed over the winter.

11. blade3colorado said, on February 19, 2016 at 9:38 am

Only spring training wish I have is for Skeeter to continue losing weight . . . Per Matt, he’s coming to spring training in the best shape of his life.

• wilcojoe said, on February 19, 2016 at 12:21 pm

That’s hilarious! I guess the Red Sox are hoping to say the same about Sandoval.

12. unca_chuck said, on February 19, 2016 at 9:59 am

Always liked Jimmy Davenport. Great fielder. He was playing when I first got into the Giants in the late 60s.

His son Don, a very nice guy, coached my oldest daughter’s fast pitch softball team in San Carlos.

13. Macdog said, on February 19, 2016 at 10:11 am

Interesting stats on Griese in ’73: He had 218 pass attempts, 16th overall, and less than half of league leader Roman Gabriel (460). Griese also was sacked only 11 times, tied for 32nd overall. In three playoff games, he had 31 pass attempts, including a Super Bowl record of fewest attempts by winning QB (7), and two sacks, so it’s probably safe to say Griese wasn’t hit in the head too much in ’73.

14. zumiee said, on February 19, 2016 at 10:42 am

Most of the baseball players drafted during the Korean War got relatively cushy jobs, some of them playing baseball for the military; but not Ted Williams. Due to a shortage of fighter pilots, Williams, who had already served in WWII, got put right back into harm’s way.
    According to the Baseball Hall of Fame Museum, on this day in history:
    “63 years ago, Ted Williams crash landed his F9F Panther fighter jet near the front lines of conflict in Korea.
    Astronaut John Glenn, who was a squadron mate of Williams in the Korean War, said, “(During his crash) he was on fire and had to belly land the plane back in. He slid it in on the belly. It came up the runway about 1,500 feet before he was able to jump out and run off the wingtip.
    “Much as I appreciate baseball,” Glenn continued, “Ted to me will always be a Marine fighter pilot.””

15. Flavor said, on February 19, 2016 at 10:43 am

you guys and your “Jimmy D” stories—-I knew you’d come through

16. alleykat69 said, on February 19, 2016 at 11:47 am

Hey that passing of Jim Davenport cuts deep with me right now.
    I knew the whole family, the sons Randy, Kenny,Gary, Don& the daughter Kathy.
    Growing up in San Carlos and playing little league thru High School baseball especially with Ken& Don on my teams were great times.And Jim would come by and watch are games if they had a off-day at home.Always a pleasure to be around with his southern drawl which 1st caught my attention when I met him at his house hanging out with the sons.
    RIP Jimmy D ..I know for sure most of San Carlos is mourning your passing and also toasting a few drinks for you all day!!!

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2016 at 12:14 pm

hang in there Kat. Skink one up for him tonight.

• alleykat69 said, on February 19, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Oh yeah for sure Flav, thanks!
        Getting my skink on after 5 at my watering hole/trough till I drop hoisting several for Jimmy D in his honor with friends 🍻🍺⚾️🍻⚾️🍺

17. Flavor said, on February 19, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Andrew Baggarly ‏@extrabaggs 12m12 minutes ago
    If you are Denard Span, and Willie Mays keeps calling you Bernard, you learn to roll with it. It’s been a joy listening to those 2 interact.

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 19, 2016 at 12:25 pm

That’s funny. I had a neighbor for close to 6 years that called me Joe. I never really knew why but he was LAPD so I rolled with it.

19. zumiee said, on February 19, 2016 at 12:32 pm

A reporter asked Dave Roberts who would bat lead-off for the Dodgers: “Roberts said he could see “a number of guys” at leadoff. Analytics have made “your typical leadoff hitter” thing of past.”

I don’t see good options for him for a lead-off hitter. Pederson and Puig are strikeout machines. They need Seager to be a #3 hitter. The Dodgers lineup wasn’t good in the second half of the season last year. They got no-hit twice, and they looked over-matched vs. the Mets in the playoffs. It was like everyone in their lineup ran out of gas. Granted, the Mets starters were throwing some nasty stuff. But the Giants have the kind of lineup to win in the playoffs. Grinders and battlers all the way up and down the lineup, which they’ve had for the 3 championships, even though so many of the players have changed. The ability to hit with two strikes is so huge. It’s sort of a way to talk about “clutch” in a way that gives “clutch” a metric.

20. zumiee said, on February 19, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Flannery posted this:

During the 80’s playing 3rd base for the Padres , I loved playing the Giants because of their 3rd base coach Jim Davenport. In 1994 I’m now managing, (and coaching 3rd) for a minor league team of the Padres. We are in San Jose playing the Giants and ” Davie” is coaching now against me. I asked him about tips on coaching 3rd, he said ” you show up here tomorrow at 9 a.m. And I will teach you things you need to know”. I wasn’t a Giant then, just wanting to learn the skills it takes to coach at the corner. He said ” Tim , hell, if you don’t get down that line, you can’t make the correct call” our lesson, turned into lessons, our day turned into years, for the last 16 years he would ask me ” what did you learn this week? this photo was taken when he came to find me before my last World Series in 2014, he told me how proud he was for me, and for The Giants. Today ” Davie” passed away, and the Creator brought him home safe. I loved him, he made me want to be a coach, he wore spikes, he was last of the old dogs. Rest in peace teacher, your legend lives on. ” what’s been handed down, can’t ever be given back” ” Awh Hell Davie”

21. zumiee said, on February 19, 2016 at 12:46 pm

I only saw a little bit of the GOP debate the other night, but I caught the part where Trump gave the criticisms of the Iraq War that people such as Michael Moore and the Dixie Chicks used, and Trump’s followers seemed just fine with it. I did a double-take.
    Here’s something a political commentator wrote:
    “the GOP base is so sick of the establishment after decades of unfulfilled red meat promises there’s nothing The Donald can do to turn them off. If he can go into South Carolina, arguably the most pro-military force, pro-Neocon dream, pro-“Mission Accomplished”, pro-“Bush kept us safe” delusional state in the country, attack those myths head-on, and still win, then we’re truly in uncharted territory.”

• unca_chuck said, on February 19, 2016 at 1:23 pm

People are sheep. Especially uninformed ones. Probably 15-20% know enough to make cogent commentary on either side. The rest are along for the ride watching the parade go by.

Shit, Trump was a progressive 10 years ago. Pro-choice, anti-assault-weapon, pro-single-payer health care. He said he wants to replace Obamacare with universal government funded healthcare on 60 Minutes last WEEK.

One thing I remember from about 10 years ago was an interview that Bill Maher was having with Johnny Mellon Cougarcamp, and Maher’s question to Johnny was “why do the Republicans make so much hay in the midwest? Why do the people that would be helped the most from the Democrats vote against them and their own interests” And Johnny replied “because they believe what these politicians say. They take it as gospel that if Obama is elected, there will be mosques popping up on every corner, gays will be fucking on your law, and dogs will sleep with cats.”

There is no internal dialogue that what they are hearing is utter bullshit.

What is happening now is that both sides are sick and tired of the good-old-boy-Clinton-Bush-Dem-Repub status-quo.

Therefore you get Bernie and the Donald.

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2016 at 1:47 pm

I did see an interview with a woman who is a Trump supporter, who was asked why she likes Trump. She said: “He wants to make America great. It says so on his hat.”
        Well, who can argue against that kind of devastating, crushing logic.

22. chipower9 said, on February 19, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Wishes? Mainly that Panik comes back healthy and can show that his back issue has been fixed and that he is good to go with no limitations.

Agree on a seamless transition for Pagan, AND also a healthy year for him. It is a contract year, so I hope to see him put up career numbers.

RE: Craw and his man bun, yeah, I think it looks goofy as hell, but I could give a rats ass if he produces along the lines he did last year.

Same with Pence’s videos. I rarely see them so non-starter for me. As long as that silly shit doesn’t get in the way of him doing his job, I could care less. Also hoping he comes back 100% healthy and puts up some big numbers.

Agree with Edd – in I hope to see the Horse shine. It would be cool as hell to see him as a very effective starter regardless of whether or not it is from the 4 or 5 hole in the rotation.

I also hope Span is healthy and plays a good CF and kicks ass in the lead-off spot.

So, alot of my wishes are health-based. If this team is healthy and everyone lives up to expectations, we are going to see a damned good year of SF Giant baseball.

Sad news on Jimmy Davenport. I do recall his year managing (unfortunately – as it was the only season in which Giant franchise has ever lost 100 games). His days as a Giant player were before my days as a Giant fan.

12 Days until the Giants first Cactus League game.

45 Days until Opening Day.

48 Days until the Home Opener.

Giddy Up.

Make it an awesome weekend Flap Universe!

• unca_chuck said, on February 19, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Joe and Brittany re-upped their condo in Walnut Creek, so there’s that. Apparently he;s feeling fine with no lingering pain.

23. Macdog said, on February 19, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Juan Uribe signs 1-year, $5M deal with Indians. AP story adds Uribe “will likely be their starting third baseman this season.”

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Good for Juan. I hope it works out for him.

24. gianthead said, on February 19, 2016 at 2:08 pm

I’d like to see Crawford’s sister if you know what I mean…and I mean Biblical…

25. blade3colorado said, on February 19, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Any opinions on Manfred’s ideas to spice up baseball as we now know it? For example . . .

“How about starting every inning with a runner on first base? How about starting each inning with a different count? Instead of three outs an inning, how about five batters? What if players are required to steal?”

Read it and weep . . . http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/02/16/mlb-youth-outreach-play-ball-cal-ripken-jr-rob-manfred/80468196/#?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mlb

Me? I think they should wait until parents totally ban their kids from playing youth, grade school, and high school football. This should happen in the next 10 years max in my opinion. Afterwards, MLB wont have any difficulty attracting fans and athletic players (who’ve abandoned football).

26. unca_chuck said, on February 19, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Jesus Christ. Manfred is on glue. Basebrawl indeed. Let every batter keep his bat and try to run around the bases as wild dogs chase him.

• blade3colorado said, on February 19, 2016 at 3:47 pm

The other thing I found interesting about his imbecilic ideas were his total disconnect in citing MLB’s desire to have younger rabid fans like those at San Francisco’s AT&T. “The games in San Francisco,” Manfred said, “don’t look like a typical baseball crowd. Really, we’d like to see younger audiences like that everywhere.”

Earth to Rob . . . What the fuck does that have to do with your crazy ideas about starting every inning with a runner on 1st, having players required to steal, etc.? What a dumb shit.

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Those were ideas for youth baseball, but they’re still bad ideas.

27. zumiee said, on February 19, 2016 at 5:00 pm

If they want to liven up youth baseball, why not just have the players hit the ball off a tee, until they’re in junior high school? The problem with little league is that a lot of the fielders have to stand around forever with no ball hit to them. They get bored, and wish they were playing some other sport.

• wilcojoe said, on February 19, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Very true. I am going thru this right now with my 7 year old. Unless your one of the four best players on the team, meaning you get to play an infield position, you are stuck in the outfield. Well you can imagine how many balls are hit by six and seven year olds into the outfield.

Plus it doesn’t help that my son is left handed, so he can forget about ever playing a non first base infield position.

• unca_chuck said, on February 19, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Yeah, coaching little league is a nightmare. When you rotated kids to the IF positions, and they sucked, you’d have the parents of the better kids screaming that their kids shouldn’t be ‘wasted’ in the OF. Then you have the other parents yelling that their kids were stuck in the OF all the time. I had rotations of 1st-2nd-RF, SS-3rd LF, and P-C-CF. Rolling in the subs as needed. It kept it pretty fair, but I still had guys dogging me and the other coaches al the time.

If he’s a lefty, Wilcoe, groom him to pitch!

• alleykat69 said, on February 19, 2016 at 6:04 pm

The poor kid stuck in RF does learn quickly though,the “Art of picking his nose” between batters out of boredom..

• xoot said, on February 19, 2016 at 7:48 pm

that’s not really the way Oakland LLeague went. Although it’s true, now the real seasons are the all star rounds (which lead to the LL WS) and the traveling team circuit. Most of the kids who play regular LLeague in the Spring don’t even know that the other seasons exist. The traveling stuff gets expensive.

28. unca_chuck said, on February 19, 2016 at 5:27 pm

If they want to get more kids involved then it takes a concerted effort to build fields in inner cities and provide the equipment. Baseball has become a suburban (and Dominican) domain as it requires lots of kids, land, commitment, and money.

29. blade3colorado said, on February 19, 2016 at 7:04 pm

I know that Zum (regarding youth baseball) . . . My point being Manfred is desperate, when there is no need. What’s the metaphor? A drowning man will clutch at a straw. That’s Manfred. I’m also amazed that he has Ripken in his “camp.” Sheesh, his dad must be turning over in his grave.

• unca_chuck said, on February 19, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Well, the metaphor would be Silver is standing in a puddle grasping at straws.

30. xoot said, on February 19, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Lilliard is a helluva story, isn’t he? Meanwhile, the Dubs are having a strange night in Portland tonight. The refs must be on the take.

31. unca_chuck said, on February 19, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Wow. Spurs get blown out by the Griffinless Clips, and the Dubs get shellacked in Portland.

Did they always get 4 days off for the break? Like the damn season isn’t long enough as it is?

32. willedav said, on February 19, 2016 at 9:27 pm

wilcoe, it’s only fair your son gets a chance to learn IF positions (and of course how to field a gb), if for no other reason than that a reg is sick or injured or on vacation. I played LL SS as a lefty ( and was better than at 1b), and there have been ml players at 3b and C.
    At lower levels, fielding a ball cleanly and making a good throw are lot more imp than what hand you do it with. And of course if you can hit, coach will find you a spot somewhere.
    Pitching, um I’d be real careful. with all the year round stuff as kids age, too easy to get hurt. Not to go all lincecum’s dad, but no way I’d trust my kid’s arm to some of the dads out there coaching. TJ surgery for HS kids is just wrong.

• xoot said, on February 19, 2016 at 10:02 pm

I know a kid pitcher who had shoulder surgery before he was 12. His father proudly told me that his son’s arm was tighter and his fastball better than ever. ass hole. My son started pitching when he was 8. The pitch count has always been crucial. No soreness for a growing arm. None.

33. zumiee said, on February 19, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Kings win! Cousins goes for 37 and 20.

• xoot said, on February 19, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Pretty good post game interview with Cousins. Achilles heel cliche notwithstanding he sounded like a player with his priorities set right.