#FullSquad

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 22, 2016

I thought I’d bring back an oldie but a goodie to honor David Lee who recently got bought out by the Celtics.

But today is, in fact, #fullsquadday. Everyone is supposed to be in camp except the inevitable straggler who has a visa problem.

I woke up this morning worrying about our offense. “Worry” is probably the wrong word. “Questioning” is a better one.

Panik? Show me you’re healthy. I’m skeptical of that back.

Pence? Go one day without making a stupid video with your chick. Seriously, that dude needs to take a break from her and play some baseball. She seems to be extremely high maintenance. No more movies from them unless it’s him banging her.

Crawford? Last year felt like a career year.

Pagan? I’m setting the o/u on games he plays this year at 74.

Span? He had waaaay more gray in his go-tee than I was expecting.

Belt? Wear a helmet with a full metal grill 24/7 and I might feel comfortable about him making it through the year.

Duffy? I dunno, this dude just makes me feel uncomfortable. Mostly because of that weird cat.

Buster? I like him.

1. zumiee said, on February 22, 2016 at 7:05 am

If they stay healthy, the offense will be very good. It was very good last year until people’s bodies fell apart.
    I’m more concerned about the bullpen. The Giants need to get another good season from the aged trio of Casilla, Romo, and Lopez. The new generation needs to step up and establish itself. Strickland, Black, Osich. Kontos was consistent last year, but seemed to run out of gas at the end. Broadway seems to have potential.
    The bullpen has to find its new identity this season. Okert might make the big club at some point. Heston will be a good long-man. The Giants are dangling the possibility of Lincecum, but I don’t see that happening.

2. Bozo said, on February 22, 2016 at 7:09 am

Ooh wee Flav, sounds like someone swallowed a birthday candle and its coming out sideways, still lit. On that note, Fuck You Old Man (a friend of mine yells this birthday greeting to me every year).

I heard Panik has stopped washing Jeff Kent’s truck, so he should be fine.
    Pence wants to prove he has a girlfriend, do you blame him? Just look at the guy.
    Duffy loves him some pussy, so what? Oh…I see what you mean.
    First day with the full squad, so unless this team sucks at squats, we’re good to go.
    No Injuries, No Injuries.

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2016 at 8:30 am

I dig that BD greeting, John! I am going to steal it and use it with some of my most esteemed friends.

Outside of that, awesome post!

Now giddy the fuck up and let’s play some baseball!

3. zumiee said, on February 22, 2016 at 7:10 am

I’m guessing the bullpen starts the season with:
    Casilla, Romo, Lopez, Strickland, Kontos, Osich, Heston
    ….with Black ready to go if Strickland falters. I’d like to start the season with Black, but the Giants might feel he’s not quite ready. Not to say that Strickland won’t do well. This is really a make or break season for Strick with the Giants, IMO. If he falters, he becomes trade-bait.

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2016 at 8:34 am

I do not see Strickland as being an issue.

Lifetime 2.16 ERA and 0.84 WHIP.

Last year:

ERA: 2.45, WHIP: 0.857. He gave up FOUR HRs in 51.1 IP. He has 59 Ks in 51.1 IP. His K/BB ratio is 5-1.

Non-starter unless he just pisses all down his leg.

There are others I am more suspect of than Strick. Those being Romo and Casilla.

4. unca_chuck said, on February 22, 2016 at 7:17 am

Pence just has to pace himself . Enough of the psycho crazy workouts. Just stay healthy in I. The lineup. Belts? Same thing. Stay on the field. The rest will take care of itself. Crawfish falls back to earth some, PAgan will hopefully stay health enough to be productive. And my wife talked to Britteny and she said Panik is feeling great. No lingering after effects from his back. He’s young and strong.

• Lurker John said, on February 22, 2016 at 7:24 am

Britteny? His physical therapist or something? Anyway, GOOD NEWS!

• alleykat69 said, on February 22, 2016 at 7:45 am

Glad are Panik back situation concerns can end with Chuck’s up to the minute report of the mysterious Brittney..I’m with LJ, Who’s Brittney? Therapist? Wife? Hooker?

5. zumiee said, on February 22, 2016 at 7:19 am

Actually…..just checking Black’s stats, he was in Single A last year, so yeah, he gets a heavy dose of the minors this season. The stat that jumps out at you is 70 strikeouts in 35 innings. He throws some serious heat.

6. Lurker John said, on February 22, 2016 at 7:23 am

Damn, Flav, you’re picking deep for the nits this morning. My take:

Panik is fine and ready to pick up where he left off.

Crawfish. I think this dude’s figured it out. Maybe last year was a career year, but watching his approach and patience and willingness to go with pitches leads me to believe he will continue to have batting success. He’s a hard worker and it’s paying off. I think he’s good for 15 maybe 20 homers and 70-80, maybe more. ribbies a season from here on out.

Pagan? Without meaning to sound snide about it, who cares? Span is the insurance and maybe playing left will lessen Angel’s chances of getting hurt. There’s options if he goes down, the joys of having depth.

Pence?? Keep those vids and knocks coming! Don’t get hit with pitches!
    Span. See above.

Belt. I’m always a little dubious about the Beltster, but he’s been solid. Staying healthy is his #1 goal. He’s the one due for a bust-out year.

Duffy. Wow. I love cats too, so bring it on. They’re weird animals anyway. The kid’s a player and always will be. Smart, talented and unshakeable.

GO GIANTS!

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2016 at 8:37 am

Awesome post. Damned near exactly my take. Great minds think alike LJ. 😉

7. Lurker John said, on February 22, 2016 at 8:09 am

Anyone notice how recent Giant’s teams seem to have a solid core of Dodger-killers? Growing up, mostly in the ’70’s, L.A. always dominated the Giants and they always had guys that seemed to kill them on a regular basis, from Cey and Garvey to Mike Fucking Marshall (HATED that guy), Pedro Guerrero, goddamn Eric Karros and many others I’m sure I’m leaving out, those assholes seemed to take perverse pleasure in deflating G’s fans (Steve Lyons!). Don’t forget Tommy “I’m not a Douche” Lasorda, whose pratfall in the AS game is the best thing I remember about him.

My how the tables have turned. Craw, Posey, DUFFSTER, Belt, Panik have all come up with big hits to knock the Blue Meanies down. In general, the Giants are doing to the Dodgers now what L.A. did to them for years. Awesome stuff.

8. willedav said, on February 22, 2016 at 8:12 am

Wow, lotta doom from Flav there. Brittney is Mrs. Panik, btw.

Agree with Zum, LU was very good last year and Giants scored lot of runs despite all the injuries. 2016 version should be improved with addition of Span at the top to get on base. Specs Susac Blanco plus a kid OF will greatly improve bench too. I’d like one more bat, maybe a 1b to spell Belt when he goes into slump. I’m sure that’s feeling on Duffy too tho whether Gillaspie can hit or not dubious.
    IF is solid, both offensively and defensively. Craw has improved every year–might not see 20 HRs but maybe fewer spikes in production (up and down months) fewer Ks. Same for Duffy who hopefully does not have soph jinx.
    I’m resigned to Pagan who I hope is passable in contract year but hey someone has to hit 8th.

Btw, Kawakami good column today on giants and Lincecum. Time to let go and let him do what he can without being under shadow of previous Cy years. As TK says, how many springs have people been saying hopeful things about him before he starts giving up runs?

9. chipower9 said, on February 22, 2016 at 8:40 am

My spin on your post Flav (oh, and once again, happy belated BD, brother)…See LJ’s 7:23.

Pagan – I take the OVER on 74 games played, and as I did last year, will wager a beverage of choice with any and all Flappers who thinks he plays in less games. Get ready to pay up, suckahs! 😉

As others have said, if they stay healthy, I think this offense will rock it!

My main concern – does Adrianza REALLY have chicken pictures on Bochy? I get it he is out of options, but if that fucker makes the team again, you have to wonder…

10. Carstie Clausen said, on February 22, 2016 at 9:39 am

The psychology of going all negative nelly for starters does tend to bring the boys out. Me, i’m looking forward to what may well be the most keenly balanced Giants squad since the team left NYC in 58 and made the big move to the other pole of the country.
    Though it does boil down to injuries, there are essentially no holes in this team. Rotation includes three guys who will go deep into the game more often than not. Amongst them, there should be right around 600 innings wrapped up. Peavy is likely only good for 6 as was the case last year. That’s one of the two major reasons why Heston is the long-man. Said it before: Should Cain revert to only 3/4 of his past dominance we got us a Horse for a 5th starter. Rotation makes top 5 in the NL.

With Strickland and Osich in the wings, the aging pair of Casilla and Romo do have excellent and now experienced late-inning backup. Kontos is a steady state projector. Lopez remains the #1 loogie specialist in the game. Organization is loaded with quality relievers in the pipeline. No major worries in the pen.

Defense: Quite likely the best in the game overall. Extremely solid up the middle at C., 2B, SS and CF. 1B and 3B add to the premiere infield in MLB. Pence owns RF and Pagan/Blanco should suffice for LF. What’s not to like?

Offense: Patented Conga Line got aped last season by the ’14 W.S. losers. It helped make them the Champs in ’15. HIGH OBP and a tendency to wear down all but the absolute elite starters makes the Giants offense one which is extremely difficult to defend against. Except for maybe Pence there is hardly a free-swinger in the bunch. Very calculating bunch of hitters. They have learned to take their cues from Buster, who happens to be the most dangerous 2-strike hitter around. Down in the count, he generally plinks a single ~ often to the opposite field. When an opposing hurler thinks he can get by with something there is just enough power around to take him deep. Though not a bunch of punch n’ judy banjo hitters, the offense is anything but a gaggle of brain-dead AL-style clouters. They are slashers, with 3 or 4 guys possessed of sufficient speed to turn some singles into doubles and a few of the latter into triples. If he stays healthy Span will contend for the league lead in runs scored.

Manager: Warts and all, Bochy is the best in the game.

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2016 at 11:01 am

Bochy has warts?!

11. unca_chuck said, on February 22, 2016 at 11:00 am

Brittany is Panik’s girlfriend. My wife has been talking to her since last year. My wife does corp. housing, and she has placed a few Giants and A’s over the years (including Blanco – how I got the pic w/him and his ring, Scutaro, Tommy Millone, Chavez), and she said he’s feeling no adverse effects from his back problems.

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2016 at 11:07 am

Charlie with the “Insider Scoop.” You heard it on the Flap Universe, first!

• alleykat69 said, on February 22, 2016 at 11:33 am

Yes nice work from your wife & you Chuck to relieve some Flap tension over Panik’s back!
      It could of turned out to be a back breaking story, but it all sounds good now…

12. gianthead said, on February 22, 2016 at 11:24 am

David Lee signed with the Mavs…probably a good fit for him. Good luck to him. He still owes my son an autograph. Last game my oldest kid went to for Warriors – Wizards my son was wearing his David Lee jersey and standing off the floor trying to get autographs. David Lee was chatting with someone in the crowd a few feet over and he noticed and looked over at me and pointed to back of his jersey and nodded over at my son with a big smile. I gave him a thumb’s up and gave him the international sign of an autograph and pointed at my son who was a few feet from me and Lee gave me the knowing head nod.

But then he never went over and signed the damn bloody jersey….

13. zumiee said, on February 22, 2016 at 11:54 am

“Same for Duffy who hopefully does not have soph jinx.”

I would think he’ll be OK, because of his approach at the plate. His bat is pretty flat through the zone. He’ll never be a big HR-hitter, but the Giants get some HRs from shortstop, and maybe one of these years Belt will get 25 HRs. And as others have said, Panik seems capable of being a 10-12 HR guy, which will help. Overall, though, as Stix said, it’ll be about keeping the conga-line moving, which has been a strength of this lineup, when healthy.

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2016 at 1:16 pm

This team has proven that it doesn’t need the long ball to win. But hey, we’ll take that occasional three run bomb. 😉

14. zumiee said, on February 22, 2016 at 11:56 am

“Lopez remains the #1 loogie specialist in the game.”

I don’t think that’s statistically true anymore, but I could be wrong.

15. zumiee said, on February 22, 2016 at 11:57 am

Chi, thanks for the stats on Strickland. They were better than I remembered.

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2016 at 1:18 pm

NP, Zume. He strung together a couple of HRs last year that were bunched together, I believe, and all of a sudden, “the sky was falling” on Strickland. I like the kid and hope he does well.

16. zumiee said, on February 22, 2016 at 12:05 pm

On the Hot Stove show this morning, Henry Schulman said that his cancer is in full remission, which is great to hear. Very cool news.

He made one of those blanket statements about Giants fans (that sportswriters make) that I always wonder about. I wonder ‘where is he getting that?’ He said basically that the majority of Giants fans want Lincecum back. What? Where is he getting that? Fans that he talks to? People who call in to KNBR? Commenters on blogs?

• blade3colorado said, on February 22, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Polls Zum . . . I have seen a few and I was (pleasantly) surprised by the extent and breath of love toward Timmy. Here’s one I found on Brisbee’s site, but I have seen others that are even more pro Lincecum.

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Blade – you still interested in heading to the right coast to catch the Giants this summer? I am thinking fly into Boston and catch the Giants there on July 20th, and then hanging out in Beantown for the night, catching the train to NY in the morn, fucking off on Thursday, and then catch the Giants play the YankMees on Friday. Rough agenda…fill in the details later.

• blade3colorado said, on February 22, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Very interested, albeit, too soon to confirm. Right now, I am off to Thailand next week; tentatively to Sri Lanka in late March; and, then returning to SF bay area for a few weeks beginning on April 17th. Mark me down for the trip though, as visiting Fenway Park and seeing the Red Sox, as well as the Yankees at their new stadium, would be the culmination of a life long dream.

• chipower9 said, on February 23, 2016 at 3:46 pm

You got it brother. I am going either way, but the trip would be so much better with a Flapalooza brother! Enjoy your travels my friend, and don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!

17. blade3colorado said, on February 22, 2016 at 3:00 pm

This was freakin’ hilarious . . .

18. snarkk said, on February 22, 2016 at 5:10 pm

Seems like BF is on a post B-day doom, but that’s Ok. After 3 titles since 2010, I’m not sweatin jack, anymore. Seems to me this squad on paper should win 90 plus, barring big injuries. The starters are good on paper, we’ll see in reality. I agree some in the Pen are getting long in the tooth, that would be my main question mark at the moment. I’ll be surprised if Romo doesn’t leak some oil this season. Otherwise, I’m fairly optimistic. Course I just slammed down a Lagunitas at the airport bar…

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Atta boy Snarkk. Love Lagunitas…

19. pawliekokonuts said, on February 22, 2016 at 7:29 pm

I like how Magnus reached into his mental vault and summoned a topic, any topic, on baseball, real life, full squad.

20. Flavor said, on February 22, 2016 at 7:52 pm

I’m as + as anyone about the team this year. 90 wins looks totally doable if they’re healthy. It takes some digging to go – as my Pence and Duffy comments show. 🙂

21. willedav said, on February 22, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Red flags on Duffy (for the projection doomers) would be the high BABIP from last year isn’t sustainable plus the amount of GIDPs he hit into. Slumped at the end, which imo was just due to his first real long big league season that he wasn’t prepared for.
    He might not be a .300 hitter but seems like solid everyday guy to me. 3b tough spot to fill, even for $100 mil.

I hope ST sorts out the OF, but I have a question. Only 1 of Parker/Williamson will likely make ml roster (at most), and even then as a bench guy. So what benefits the player and the team the most—have the guy get in a getaway game a week or so plus PH or spend at least first few months playing regularly in Sac until Giants maybe have a need?

Drove right by Kirk’s of Campbell on way home from work. Great place, 3 big screens plenty of parking…just little ways south of Pruneyard on Bascom.

• unca_chuck said, on February 22, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Glad those are still around. Haven’t been in about 30 years.

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Regarding the Parker/Williamson? My focus is more on benefit to the team. I think whoever makes the cut gets some playing time and will benefit from being up. Parker was certainly the hot hand end of last year. I think what they do in Zona sorts it all out, but my bet is on Parker.

22. Bozo said, on February 23, 2016 at 7:09 am

Duffy played in 115 consecutive games, I bet he was a little gassed at the end. Probably why he beefed up a bit in the off season (and I don’t mean beefed up like the Panda beefs up).

Is it spring training yet?

A post shared by Matt Duffy (@mm_duffy) on

23. Carstie Clausen said, on February 23, 2016 at 9:16 am

Lift large feline 30 times from carpet to couch = full workout.

24. willedav said, on February 23, 2016 at 9:41 am

Duff pic is impressive. Interesting note–in 900 ABs in minors he hit total of 13 HRs, yet hit 12 for SF last year.
    That stat also prompts doom to projection sites who are sure he won’t show as much pop as last year.
    2015 he had 46 XBH same as Posey and 3rd on the team to go with .760 OPS.

As I said before, lot of doom projected for Panik last year coming off 2014 when he hit 1 HR in 200 ABs.
    Instead he had 37 XBH in 380 ABs on way to .833 OPS and .450 slugging.

Both seem to be smart hitters making the necessary adjustments to ml pitching. Also helps to have good role models and be in middle of productive LU.

25. unca_chuck said, on February 23, 2016 at 10:23 am

It’s a little strange to not be very worried about things . . . Then again, we have to get through spring . . .

26. zumiee said, on February 23, 2016 at 11:59 am

That photo of Duffy is the kind of PR a team likes. It’s the total opposite of the Sandoval photos. Red Sox fans also reacted to Sandoval’s defiant tone in the interviews. When asked about last season, he just shrugged it off as no big deal. Sandoval had a bad season, the Red Sox finished in last place, and the GM that signed him got fired. But, hey, no big deal.
    It’s not sitting well with the Red Sox fans.

• chipower9 said, on February 23, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Glad he is their problem now, and not ours…especially for the coin that Boston signed him for!

27. Bozo said, on February 23, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Classic Spring Training story. I can’t help it, I have to root for this kid.

• blade3colorado said, on February 23, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Best inspirational story I’ve read in months, going back to the guy living out of his VW camper (Dan Norris?). What makes this a better story, is that this Jake Smith kid isn’t a millionaire (but eventually will be if he continues on the “learning” path he’s been on). Amazing story . . . Thanks for sharing Bozo.

• zumiee said, on February 23, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Cool articles, guys. Thanks.
      And this tidbit was at the bottom of the page after Bozo’s article:
      “Bochy’s son, Brett, is likely calling it a career. The right-handed pitcher, who became the first ever to take the ball from his manager/father in a major league game, is not returning to the Giants and would consider only a starting job with another Triple-A club. Bruce Bochy said that Brett, who got married in the offseason, has plans to go to grad school and study to become a federal agent.”

• snarkk said, on February 23, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Smart career move by Brett…

28. snarkk said, on February 23, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Sitting at the bar slamming a Sculpin at the pink Pony in Scottsdale. Pretty quiet. I thought there was supposed to be a lot of Giants memorabilia in here. I’m not seizing much of that anywhere. Went by Scottsdale stadium — lights on and sprinklers on in the outfield. Parking lit had quite a fee cars, but I didn’t see ant players walking in or out…

• snarkk said, on February 23, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Nice auto fill work in that paragraph. sheezus…

• Paul Sorensen said, on February 23, 2016 at 7:07 pm

I read somewhere about those ant players…. just the usual roster fillers for extra bodies in Spring Training, I guess…. 🙂

• Flavor said, on February 23, 2016 at 7:16 pm

really? Someone told me that place closed. Are you sure you aren’t the only one in there? lulz

• unca_chuck said, on February 23, 2016 at 7:34 pm

You sure it ain’t the baloney pony?

29. wilcojoe said, on February 23, 2016 at 7:28 pm

I went to the Pink Pony about 12 years ago during a business trip down there. It was almost exactly this same time of year, about a week before the games started. There wasn’t much action but the place had a ton of cool memorabilia on the walls. Old time, classic steakhouse…I just went on Yelp and checked out some of the recent pics. Total renovation, very modern chic like. Didn’t even recognize it.

• snarkk said, on February 23, 2016 at 8:12 pm

That’s it. There’s no baseball S anywhere. Menu heavy on the steak. Fried calamari appetizer way over breaded. Not recommended. Italian Grotto around the corner had a few more folks. Didn’t see Marry Lurie in there…

• snarkk said, on February 23, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Wilco , you’d appreciate this. I moved on to a Pappadeaux on the W side of town. I haven’t eaten in one of these re since I left Houston in the late 90s. Industrial strength seafood place. I’m having th e crawfish étouffée over dirty rice. Oh yeah , brings back memories. IMO the only good thing about Houston is the restaurants. …

• unca_chuck said, on February 23, 2016 at 9:59 pm

I HATE Houston but I love Pappadeuax. The Lake Ponchatrain Filet is the best. Dirty rice, with shrimp scattered all over it. Used to have to go Hou all the time. Kathy’s headquarters used to be in PHO. Been to that Pappadeaux too.