Let’s Talk About the Bullpen….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 24, 2016

…..because there’s nothing else to talk about.

And that’s a good thing. Discussing the bullpen on February 24th just means the rest of your team is rock solid.

So Casilla is the closer, I think that’s a given until he implodes. Romo to be the  8th inning guy, probably.

Lopez will do that “3 inning a month specialist stuff”.

That leaves Strickland, O-Shit!, Kontos and Hest-by-Hest as the long man.

If they carry a 13 (unlikely) it might be Broadway. Or would the dark horse be Ricky Romero? Or do we tease ourselves into believing that the great great Big Time Timmy Jim JIm makes a glorious return to the kingdom that he built?

Am I missing anything?

I like our bullpen a lot. Nice mix of experience and young flame throwers. And hey, if the bullpen falters the one thing I KNOW the Giants will do is go get help. They aren’t spending 165 million on 2016 salaries and complement it with a leaky bullpen that gives away games.

So, nothing to stress on here. Cautious optimism warranted…….

1. willedav said, on February 24, 2016 at 7:06 am

Hope it’s not 13 man pen, at least to start. Usually more off days at beginning tho I haven’t looked at sched.
    Romo and Casilla handled RH hitters very well. Like to see Osich and Strick step into a full inning of work.
    Kontos lot easier to trust than Broadway or one of the other kids from minors.
    This is position of strength for 2016 esp as managed by Bochy…2017 likely manned differently.

2. willedav said, on February 24, 2016 at 7:12 am

And should some or all of Romo Casilla Lopez do not return after this year then 3 more guys can step into roles with ml club.
    what those guys show Bochy and FO in ST plus reg season minors I’m sure will be closely monitored.

3. drewfustmcfirefly said, on February 24, 2016 at 7:32 am

where do u think I Gardeck ends up?

• chipower9 said, on February 24, 2016 at 8:04 am

Probably AA Richmond.

• drewfustmcfirefly said, on February 27, 2016 at 5:39 am

thanks for info. i coached him in little league. he’s a good kid. a late bloomer.

4. alleykat69 said, on February 24, 2016 at 7:34 am

Yeah I don’t want a 13 man pen as well.Osich slides into Jeremy’s role just fine and Kontos& Stickland the RH heat should be good.
    You have the best pitching guru coaching in the game with Rags& Gardy and of course how Boch handles the whole staff with match ups, so no worries from me right now!
    Let’s get it on!!!

5. Bozo said, on February 24, 2016 at 7:37 am

A 13 man staff? What? We went out and got “inning eaters”. We are paying our starting 5 over $72 mil this year, that’s about half the revenues for the island of Tonga and they don’t keep 8 in the Pen. Somalia might, but their starters are pretty weak.

I think Law and Romero will get some long looks this spring.

Jake “The Rake” Smith is on the 40 man so he will at least get a cup of coffee with the big club before being shipped off to whatever the Minor League camp is called.

• Carstie Clausen said, on February 24, 2016 at 8:40 am

Appears that Derek Law has come back strong from an injury situation. Smith, Romero and Gearin are also champing at the bit. In other words, the pen has not only excellence from the outset but also plenty of depth in the pipeline with a combination of quality experience and young flamethrowers. Bullpen is the least of our worries going into the season.

6. chipower9 said, on February 24, 2016 at 8:06 am

John and Steve – thanks for the articles yesterday. Good reads.

I think the pen is solid and if anyone falters, as others have noted, the Giants will fill the gaps. John nailed it in pointing out that they are not paying the starters as handsomely as they are to only get 5 or so per start. The Giants are going to expect, and get, performance across the team, and if that requires some changes/tweaks, they will make it happen.

Only seven days until the first spring game.

40 Days until Opening Day…

43 Days until the Home Opener!

Let’s play some fucking baseball, already!

7. chipower9 said, on February 24, 2016 at 8:07 am

On paper, I think this year’s iteration of the Giants is as good as any team in the majors.

So, my major concern this year is staying healthy. If they do that, and most of the guys play up to potential, I predict good things for us and our Giants.

8. Carstie Clausen said, on February 24, 2016 at 8:46 am

13-man staff? Hardly, har, har, har. Almost not a chance, what with those three top of the line starters quite capable of amassing 600 innings amongst them. Yesteryear’s baker’s dozen was cuzzin onaccounta the fact that two starters were out injured coming out of ST and innings eaters had become a necessity. Situational relief got massively messed up as a result of that circumstance as evidenced by the misuse of Petit and his consequent ending up with the Nats this year. Roles should be much more clearly defined this year and because of the blend of talents and additional strength in the pipeline nobody should be worn to a frazzle come October.

9. unca_chuck said, on February 24, 2016 at 9:52 am

I think Timmy’s the dark horse for long relief.

10. chipower9 said, on February 24, 2016 at 10:03 am

RE: Timmy – I have seen limited updates on his roadshow. Here is the latest I have seen:

Has anyone seen anything else of note?

11. zumiee said, on February 24, 2016 at 11:18 am

I’m not as confident about the bullpen as a lot of y’all. Father Time is nipping at the heels of Casilla, Romo, and Lopez. Hopefully they have one more trip to the mountain-top left in them.
    The other four spots will make for an interesting story-line in Spring Training.

12. Flavor said, on February 24, 2016 at 11:30 am

I will eat my hat, again, if they sign Timmy. That ship seems to have sailed.

13. Flavor said, on February 24, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Is it just me or does it seem like Bochy’s son tossed in the towel on his baseball career rather quickly?

• unca_chuck said, on February 24, 2016 at 3:46 pm

He’s 28. I’m sure he thinks he’s reached the end of his baseball viability.

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 24, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Lincecum was his name
    High 90s gas his game
    Rings, No Hitters, and warrior helmets part of his fame
    Went under the knife hoping to recapture the flame

• blade3colorado said, on February 24, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Awesome poem!

• chipower9 said, on February 24, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Love it!

Long live 55…

• Flavor said, on February 24, 2016 at 4:10 pm

i like it too, but *high 90s?”

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 24, 2016 at 7:38 pm

His max velocity was high 90s back in the day mostly 92 range I suppose.

• blade3colorado said, on February 24, 2016 at 6:05 pm

I thought this was so outstanding Dirt, that I wrote Tim on his FB page and told him about it . . . I hope you don’t mind.

‎Steven Melikean‎ to Tim Lincecum
      Just now ·
      Hi Tim, I am a big Giants fan now living in Colorado. I belong to a Giants blog, The San Francisco Giants Blog, where my friend, “Dirt” (Micah) wrote this poem tribute to you . . .
      Lincecum was his name
      High 90s gas his game
      Rings, No Hitters, and warrior helmets part of his fame
      Went under the knife hoping to recapture the flame
      The blog URL is https://oneflapdown77.com/2016/02/24/lets-talk-about-the-bullpen/
      It would be awesome if you stopped by and said hello. Thank you for everything you do!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 24, 2016 at 7:36 pm

That’s classic, blade. I wonder if he’d take it as a compliment. Lulz

• Flavor said, on February 24, 2016 at 8:01 pm

hopefully he reads it once baked. He just might stroll on over to the Flap afterwards, lulz

15. unca_chuck said, on February 24, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Refs are awful tonight in Miami

16. unca_chuck said, on February 24, 2016 at 6:49 pm

That is most excellent, Blade.

17. Flavor said, on February 24, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Klay most excellent tonight

18. willedav said, on February 24, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Read that short write up on Timmy and comments afterward, including clueless with the first one.
    I’m not Kawakami’s biggest fan but I think he’s spot on here.
    Hey everyone loved the guy for what he used to be, but man SF already gave him a $35 mil thank you gif

At this point (and hey he still hasn’t done the showcase yet) he is unlikely to be any better than Cain Peavy or even Heston.
    In other words, perfect for the Padres who are mostly thankful they still have the Sherps around to keep them out of last place. At some point Pads will probably dump at least one of Price Ross or Cashner, so I’m sure they’ll have plenty of openings in rotation…something Giants just spent heavily to remedy.