Where Will Timmy Pitch Next?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 25, 2016

This is one of those situations that just can’t be about the money, right? If there’s anyone who can live off 100 million already in the bank, I have to assume it would be Tim Lincecum.

He’s got his rings, he’s got his CY’s, he’s got the dough. At this point in his life he goes to a place for comfort instead of skrilla, yes?

That’s why I will be astounded if he ends up in San Diego.

Who knows, maybe he needs the money. But it sure doesn’t seem like it. And he also doesn’t seem like one of those dumb athletes who heads off to another team/league seeking a new professional challenge and thinking the fans will love him unconditionally.

There seem to be only 2 teams that Lincecum would consider pitcher for. At this point in his career. Considering all of the things he seems to value in life.

1. unca_chuck said, on February 25, 2016 at 7:18 am

I always figured he’d end up in Seattle. Yeah at this point he’s not really got much left to prove. Other than he was hurt and e can regain his Cy Young form. I suppose it’s possible if not likely. I’m also about 90% sure he stays on the west coast. Shit, the Dodgers need relievers…

Thing is it’ll cost some team some scratch to see. He ain’t gonna break the bank , but he ain’t going for the minimum either.

Crazy how quickly his career has flown by. He will always be one of my favorite Giants.

2. blade3colorado said, on February 25, 2016 at 7:25 am

If he isn’t with us, I would hate to see him with another NL West team, especially the lowly Padres or our arch enemies, the Bums . . .

Just guessing, but I presume you are referencing Seattle as the other team. I agree and moreover, I think most Giants fans would find that acceptable.*

* Synchronicity is a concept, first explained by psychiatrist Carl Jung, which holds that events are “meaningful coincidences” if they occur with no causal relationship, yet seem to be meaningfully related.

3. Bozo said, on February 25, 2016 at 7:48 am

Maybe he’ll just continue to pitch in his secret location.

4. willedav said, on February 25, 2016 at 7:57 am

I guess he just wants to play, regardless of $$$ and find a good fit. I can’t believe anyone would give him more than a 1 yr look see deal to see how he holds up–only 76 innings pitched last year and continued disastrous results. Despite pitching in a friendly yard with cool temps ERA is over 4, WHIP is 1.40, hits and walks up, Ks down from 2011 heyday. This has been going on for last 4 yrs and neither Rags nor Dad have been able to mitigate the downward trend.

Zero trust in anything his rep says about 20 teams interested/multiple convos with floundering Padres. fwiw, Giants said they’d be at the showcase, whenever it actually happens but have laid the ground rules out already—there isn’t any room in their rotation so if he wants to start it’s gonna happen somewhere else…finally.

• chipower9 said, on February 25, 2016 at 11:12 am

“…ERA is over 4, WHIP is 1.40, hits and walks up, Ks down from 2011 heyday. This has been going on for last 4 yrs and neither Rags nor Dad have been able to mitigate the downward trend.”

And hence, he went under the knife.

I like many others here (and elsewhere in baseball) give it a low degree of likelihood that the surgery will significantly impact his ability to pitch (in a positive way) going forward, but who knows.

I am and will always be pulling for him, except if it happens that he is on the bump against the Giants.

5. gianthead said, on February 25, 2016 at 8:34 am

I could see him actually with the Angels…I think only an AL team would sign him with any potential to start. He could them 5-6 innings of 4.5 era ball and the Angels would be in those games. Dont think that works for the Mariners or the A’s and certainly does not work in in the NL…

Flav and Blade, how the hell do you guys play fan duel nba??? Besides a little dabbling in last year’s playoff, I have given it a little go since the end of the all star break and seems like a mfing crap shoot….I’ll wait for baseball…

6. Flavor said, on February 25, 2016 at 8:45 am

Henry Schulman ‏@hankschulman 36m36 minutes ago
    There is an issue with Matt Cain. He is not throwing today as planned, and the team expects to provide an update later today.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 25, 2016 at 8:57 am

Heard that on the ride in. No bueno.

• Flavor said, on February 25, 2016 at 9:10 am

whatever is said, you KNOW the truth will get downplayed/altered/ignored

• ewisco said, on February 25, 2016 at 9:15 am

thank god we have the crack medical team that we can rely on!

8. Macdog said, on February 25, 2016 at 9:35 am

Pav: Cain had a cyst removed today from his right upper arm.

• Macdog said, on February 25, 2016 at 9:38 am

+ Giants say Cain will be throwing again in about 10 days.

• Flavor said, on February 25, 2016 at 10:31 am

eh, sounds bad. Kruk’s comeback player of the year call took a hit today.

• Macdog said, on February 25, 2016 at 10:48 am

It’s just a cyst. That said, my expectations for Cain this season are . . . not sure, really. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he goes the way of the last two seasons, which is contributing very little. But if he’s on the way to a big comeback, I have to see it before I believe it, and this setback doesn’t help. Of course, I’m hoping for all the best.

9. unca_chuck said, on February 25, 2016 at 10:33 am

Timmy gets a flicker of hope . . .

10. chipower9 said, on February 25, 2016 at 11:17 am

I have no idea whether or not Timmy will bounce back, and like most here, I think the degree of likelihood that he finds his mojo again is limited. That said, I am pulling big time for Timmy to once again be Big Time Timmy Jim. And regardless of how it all goes, he will always be one of my favorite Giants.

Shitty news on Cain. I am with Mac…hey, it is a cyst (well, with what we have been told). But I am with Eric and not sweating it due to that kick-ass medico team the Giants employ. Good luck Horse…wishing you the best!

• zumiee said, on February 25, 2016 at 12:01 pm

“that kick-ass medico team the Giants employ”

This requires an LOL, because that truly did make me laugh outloud. 🙂

11. alleykat69 said, on February 25, 2016 at 11:58 am

Hope for the best for the Horse, but it could easily be pasture time,with that Swiss cheese arm. Just one surgery after another. The organization has to be concerned and probably has Timmeh on speed dial for the possible 5th slot..

12. zumiee said, on February 25, 2016 at 12:05 pm

The Giants organization, for some reason, will bend over backwards to avoid using the word “pain.” They RARELY use that word. I guess they feel like they’re giving away top-secret information if they do.
    So we hear things like “discomfort,” “not feeling right,” “tightness,” and the classic “his arm (or leg) is barking at him.”

13. zumiee said, on February 25, 2016 at 12:09 pm

They could use that in emergency rooms. The nurse or doctor asks, on a scale of one to ten, how much is your injury barking at you? They could have a picture of ten dogs, starting with a little poodle at one, and then ending with an angry-looking German shepherd at ten.

• Irish Kevin said, on February 25, 2016 at 12:31 pm

I am thinking more along the lines of the chihuahua nipping at your heals to the snarling mad German Shepard with his teeth sinking into your jugular.

• chipower9 said, on February 25, 2016 at 1:04 pm

I have a Chihuahua mix who will keep ’em all in line with a bit more than “nipping at the heels…” 😉

14. willedav said, on February 25, 2016 at 12:26 pm

How far back can you take the hip injury affecting performance of Lincecum?

Releasing info on an injury I also think falls largely on the club itself and what they and the player(s) want out there for publication.
    Panik admitted he had stress fracture in veterbra (since healed) but didn’t want anyone to know in case he came back and opposing pitchers tried busting him inside. so apparently all the concern over his back is misplaced.

15. chipower9 said, on February 25, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Okay Flap Universe. We have all heard the news on The Horse. Let me throw a hypothetical at you…

Suppose they do have to turn The Horse out to pasture.

Heston is sitting there and could be slotted into the rotation, but then who takes on the long-relief role?

IF Cain cannot go, and Timmy’s roadshow goes well, do you see any chance of the Giants making an offer to him and potentially putting him into the rotation?

I realize much of this is hypothetical. We DO NOT know if Cain will be able to go, and we have no idea what will shake-out with Timmy on his roadshow.

What says you???

• gianthead said, on February 25, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I have confidence in Heston being the #5, Pettit would have been nice insurance…I think Law could take a short relief role and Kontos maybe going to the longer role…let’s see what spring shows us with all the young pitchers…

• Bozo said, on February 25, 2016 at 1:52 pm

I want Posey as our catcher. I like it when they give him time at 1B or the day off because he needs it, not because Tim is pitching.
      Time for the Giants to give Lincecum his gold watch and wish him well.

16. Bozo said, on February 25, 2016 at 1:47 pm

This is from the 2012-2016 MLB Basic Agreement.

4) For public relations purposes, a Club may disclose the fol-
    lowing general information about employment-related injuries: (a
    the nature of a Player’s injury, (b) the prognosis and the anticipated
    length of recovery from the injury, and (c) the treatment and surgi-
    cal procedures undertaken or anticipated in regard to the injury. For
    any other medical condition that prevents a Player from rendering
    services to his Club, a Club may disclose only the fact that a med-
    ical condition is preventing the Player from rendering services to the
    Club and the anticipated length of the Player’s absence from the
    Club. A Club physician or certified athletic trainer treating a Player
    pursuant to Regulation 2 of his UPC and any other physician or
    medical professional treating or consulting with a Player pursuant to
    Regulation 2 or Article XIII(D) shall be prohibited from making any
    public disclosure of a Player’s medical information absent a sepa-
    rate, specific written authorization from the Player authorizing such
    public disclosure.

• Macdog said, on February 25, 2016 at 3:07 pm

At least it’s not the NHL’s terms for injuries: It’s either “upper body” or “lower body.”

17. alleykat69 said, on February 25, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Giants have options on the 5th slot if Horse can’t go… Either Heston are Blackburn should work. Leaning toward Blackburn with Heston the long guy for now..

18. Paul Sorensen said, on February 25, 2016 at 6:39 pm

All this talk about “The Horse” and putting the fading pitchers “out to pasture” makes me wonder. When Lincecum and Cain are done, would love to hear a story about how the Giants have embarked on a new “pitcher breeding program” — there’s Cain, and there’s Timmy too!, wandering around in a lovely green field pasture, and then some hot babes with high pedigree are brought into the picture for breeding purposes, like they do with race horses. A couple decades later, your children and grandchildren are watching Timmy 2 and Matty 2 pitching at China Basin. Would give new meaning to the team’s “farm system”…. Minor leagues? We don’t need no stinkin’ minor leagues, we got “the farm”…..

• alleykat69 said, on February 25, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Yee Ha Paul,
      “The Stud Farm Of Matt&Tim” breeding the future Giant Stud Pitchers to keep the legacy going!!
      I’m all in Cowboy, and they both should make sure they have their Cowboy Boots and Hat on during sex, better chance for boys!!🏇🏻

19. willedav said, on February 25, 2016 at 7:42 pm

F-in Bryce Alford hammering Wallace from behind after getting picked. Chump play.

• willedav said, on February 25, 2016 at 7:43 pm

and jaylen brown says stop this with a monster jam. Walton has consistently said he’s best player in the league.

20. unca_chuck said, on February 25, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Did I just hear that? Yasi Puig just bought a helicopter to get to work?

Btw he missed the first workout in Phoenix.