It’s Just a Cyst, Right?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 26, 2016

Not when it comes to the Giants it isn’t. Until Matt Cain proves he’s completely healthy I am 100% considering him doubtful for the season. Timmy would be an interesting pick up but I don’t think he would want to come back as an insurance policy. Although considering the Giants medicos history as well as Cain free fall from health, I think he would be much more likely to secure a starting spot for SF than he might currently think.

I hope Lincecum isn’t forgetting the value of pitching at AT&T. Considering his situation, I would think he’d want all the help he could get.

But if the Giants have sailed ship from BTTJJ then we are looking at Hest-by-Hest and if he’s improved his stamina and conditioning I wouldn’t hate the idea of counting on him as a #5 for the year.

1. unca_chuck said, on February 26, 2016 at 7:09 am

Well, there’s nothing but Time now to figure this out. Tim will be ready faster than Cai, and Cain cannot be counted on for anything until this plays out. So Timmy would be good to have around.

2. zumiee said, on February 26, 2016 at 7:57 am

I saw a pundit on TV wondering why Lincecum’s showcase got pushed back, and theorizing that it’s not a good sign regarding Timmy’s recovery.

• willedav said, on February 26, 2016 at 8:04 am

check out the vid over on csnbayarea where his Dad does full interview.
      That guy is scary, and I would say “obnoxious” as one blogger commented, would be an improvement.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 26, 2016 at 8:13 am

I’m sure BTTJJ would be good with a one year deal in the $18-20M range. Sabevans is probably working on the T&Cs already.

4. unca_chuck said, on February 26, 2016 at 8:46 am

I’d go $8 mill and take my chances. He got a $35 mill parachute so the least he could do is given them the benefit if the doubt.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 26, 2016 at 9:14 am

Actually, I could see Lincecum coming back to SF on a 1 year deal with the hope of getting more after a solid season. The fact that his showcase hasn’t materialized is suspicious though. Maybe he is better off to keep rehabbing and hook up with a club mid season.

6. Bozo said, on February 26, 2016 at 9:20 am

I think Matt will be fine and ready by the start of the season. I wouldn’t go for the Timmy insurance but if Matt isn’t ready for his first start, I’d go with one of these guys.

• Bozo said, on February 26, 2016 at 9:23 am

Also, I think Tim’s showcase has been moved back twice now and with ST already started, I don’t see him being ready for the start of the year anyway.

• zumiee said, on February 26, 2016 at 11:57 am

Nice piece of writing by Grant; thanks, Bozo. I’m not a regular reader of the McC Chronicles, so I tend to miss out on his stuff.

• Bozo said, on February 26, 2016 at 12:03 pm

I don’t read their stuff that much either, but I thought it was a pretty fair review of the pitching pipeline.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 26, 2016 at 9:33 am

There’s an interview with Lincecum’s dad over on CSNBA. I wasn’t in the area when he first came on the scene so I didn’t catch a lot of the media focus on old man Lincecum. How annoying is that guy?

• wilcojoe said, on February 26, 2016 at 10:00 am

He makes Donald Trump sound modest. What a pompous ass.

• zumiee said, on February 26, 2016 at 12:00 pm

He’s kind of a jerk in that interview, but I also would say that Kosomo did not come across as a good interviewer. I’m used to the way the MLB Network guys do their interviews; they finesse their way into getting more out of their interviewees. Kosomo was coming in like a truckload of bricks.

8. snarkk said, on February 26, 2016 at 1:26 pm

I’ve said all offseason and before that I wouldn’t count on Cain for anything. This latest problem doesn’t change that, for sure. Heston is a good option IMO if Cain ends up unavailable. That just means they need a long man, but Petitis with the Nats now….

• unca_chuck said, on February 26, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Well that’s why BTTJJ is back on the table

9. chipower9 said, on February 26, 2016 at 3:09 pm

I know many think Tim’s ship has sailed, and maybe it has, but with the latest news on Cain, the Giants would be foolish to not take a look.

10. snarkk said, on February 26, 2016 at 3:45 pm

A cyst is not something that jut pops up out of the blue; it signifies some underlying issue. Cain’s contract has turned Zitoesque, except Zito wasn’t on the shelf for injury near as much…

• zumiee said, on February 26, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Cain may have shot his wad helping the Giants win the World Series in 2010 and 2012. In the big picture, I don’t think the contract will get remembered that much has time goes on. Even Zito managed to put a lot of angst about his contract away with his performance in ’12.

11. snarkk said, on February 26, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Kruk meant Cain would be the comeback player of the year NEXT year …

12. Bozo said, on February 26, 2016 at 5:19 pm

This is from an article on the Merc yesterday – “Cain also had an upper right arm cyst removed in November, Bochy said. The current one was located in a slightly different spot. The medical staff drained it once, but when fluid began building up again the decision was made to cut it out.

It is not uncommon for players to develop cysts or abscesses at the site of injections, and like many pitchers, Cain has had several cortisone shots in his arm over the years. But GM Bobby Evans said he wasn’t sure about how the cysts came about.”

13. zumiee said, on February 26, 2016 at 5:26 pm

I was glad to see new rules protecting middle infielders on double-plays; but I was surprised to see that, in a compromise, they are going to allow the “neighborhood play” to be reviewable on instant replay. I don’t think I like that part of the deal.

• blade3colorado said, on February 26, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Disagree. Too many times, the infielder (2nd baseman usually) never touches the bag and is ONLY in the vicinity of the base. Nevertheless, I hate most rule changes*, so I’ll take a wait and see approach.

*Exception being those which have to do with speeding up the game, which I see they are implementing this year. Just means that pitching coaches will have to run out to the mound, since 30 seconds is the max now. I understand that the timer will start on the first step out of the dugout. Hopefully, they extend this to the “batting glove adjustment” madness (I hate Tulo for this reason) and stepping out of the batting box. Ugh.

• snarkk said, on February 26, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Bochy with his knee …may not even make it to then mound in 30 secondsll

14. Flavor said, on February 26, 2016 at 6:09 pm

the neighborhood play is stupid and should be fixed. If that fake-o play leaves the game we are all better off for it.

• zumiee said, on February 26, 2016 at 8:10 pm

The ss and 2b are trying to stay in one piece out there. The key is getting out of Dodge in a hurry.

• unca_chuck said, on February 26, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Yeah, but you need to have the ball and you need to touch the bag. I thought they already stopped takeout slides.

15. willedav said, on February 26, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Monmouth hawks on espn 2, up 15 early at home vs. Rider.
    keep eye on J Robinson and bench mob for uninitiated.

• snarkk said, on February 26, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Cal looks to be getting in a bit of a groove lately…

16. willedav said, on February 27, 2016 at 8:51 am

Flav, pretty funny pic about Bochy and magic both owning Dodgers.
    Bochy mentions in a Baggs column how all the Dodgers LHP might affect how he plays the LU and there was a note about Susac with a 1b glove, esp for those times Kershaw matched up with Bum and Posey is C.

17. zumiee said, on February 27, 2016 at 9:32 am

Gray-bearded Denard Span just got a little older. It’s his birthday today. 🙂

18. giants54 said, on February 27, 2016 at 10:20 am

They have Heston and possibly Blackburn. Well past the time to move on from blind Timmy love.

19. Flavor said, on February 27, 2016 at 12:00 pm