Shop Talk, With Daniel

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 29, 2016

Our Cardinal friend, @C70, has requested some answers to some questions for his yearly “Playing Pepper” series. I’m still reeling from the glory of Steph Curry but it seems like a good time to get back into some Giants talk. Why not Shop Talk?

What are your thoughts on the team’s offseason?  Did they do what they needed to do?

I would rank it as the best off season in recent memory. Adding two stud SP’s and legit lead off hitter was more than I thought we would do. Sabean usually hibernates during the off season and wakes up around the trade deadline so this was a nice surprise.

There’s been continuity in Giants management. Brian Sabean was GM for 18 years and is still involved, Bruce Bochy is starting his 10th season. How has that helped the product on the field?

They work very well together. That seems a boring, obvious response, but if you are an Angels fan you yearn for something so simple. I’ve been told they eat together a lot. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that’s a good thing for longevity and success.

What’s the deal with Matt Cain?  Is there reasonable hope that he can return to his pre-2013 form?

Bad time to ask this question with him on the shelf again. But no one here trusts the Giants medicos and this is the 2nd cyst he’s had removed from that elbow since November. So, my feelings fall somewhere between *no hope* and *little hope*. *Reasonable hope* is not part of my Matt Cain vocabulary.

What player do you expect to make the greatest strides this year?

We have a nice mix of veteran and youth. I’m not looking for any one player to make great strides. I’m looking for everyone to play to expectations and if that happens we will win the World Series (again). There. I said it.

What’s your projection of the team’s record and where will they finish in the division?

I’m usually pretty pessimistic about seasonal records because it amounts to a *future bet* and I don’t make those anymore. Too many things happen. The original roster can look very little like the end of the season roster and who knows what will happen to the roster of pre-season contending teams? That said, I’ll go with 98 games. Yes I am feeling gooooooood this morning!

Which team in the division do you most enjoy beating and how do you think you’ll fare against them in 2016?

Of course it’s the Art Dealers but not like I enjoyed it in the old days. Times change. I like beating the Rockies a lot because I hate all Denver teams. I’m not sure about the number of wins we have vs them. I just want to beat the piss out of them every time we play.

Thanks again Daniel! I’m sure the Flappers who contribute to the blog will chime in with their thoughts in the comment section below.

1. Flavor said, on February 29, 2016 at 7:09 am

Steph Curry shooting percentage from 28 to 50 feet: 67.3%

Keegan Bradley putting percentage from 4 to 8 feet: 59.6%

2. gianthead said, on February 29, 2016 at 7:18 am

I have us penciled in with 110 wins…we will add an OF bat at the trade deadline replacing Pagan on a daily basis…

• Lurker John said, on February 29, 2016 at 7:31 am

Optimism. I like it, especially on Leap Day.

3. willedav said, on February 29, 2016 at 7:20 am

Good answers Flav.
    It’s interesting Daniel brings up continuity because I do think that is important. LA (and SD and AZ) has changed mgrs. and FO (how many advisers yada yada) and you have to wonder what’s going on sometimes. They’ve been rebuilding the pen for years without success and were gonna bring in Chapman. Bringing back Kendrick was a good move but what was the point of Chase Utley? Losing Greinke put them in scramble mode and their rotation is weird with all the LHPs.
    I doubt Roberts had much input on any of their off season moves and you gotta wonder what they will do with surplus of OF, all of whom have ? marks.
    Giants are different, and they’re the ones with the rings.

4. gianthead said, on February 29, 2016 at 7:25 am

And for my Warrior comments after missing the Flap yesterday…I am trying to annoy people on the Least Coast by saying this is the greatest NBA team ever…we do have to officially win the 74 games and the championship but I honestly do not believe there has ever been a championship team as deep as the Warriors…

• gianthead said, on February 29, 2016 at 7:26 am

Sorry 73 games…

5. Lurker John said, on February 29, 2016 at 7:29 am

Steph Curry has mystical qualities.

6. willedav said, on February 29, 2016 at 7:52 am

Nothing will ever compare to beating LA (and hearing the chant at full house ATT) and reading the angst of their followers that get posted here, but…
    I’d really like for Giants put DBax in their place, hopefully 3rd in Division and about 15 games out.

F-LaRussa, their hard rock crummy IF, the dumb Pool and that nonsense about not allowing anyone in other gear to be near the plate and in viewing area. Not to mention they have had more than their share of success at ATT lately. Time for Giants to put their foot down and make sure they have zero illusions of grandeur about winning anything besides the offseason.

7. chipower9 said, on February 29, 2016 at 8:41 am

Great stuff between you and Daniel. I like your answers, Flav.

I was out of pocket and didn’t hit the Flap this weekend, so I wanted to comment on that amazing win by the Warriors. Gail and I were out to dinner Saturday night, and having dinner at the bar, watching the game. Dubs were down 10 I believe, when we left (late 3rd Q?). We had a few stops along the way heading home, and when I got home, I checked my phone for a quick update, and it was at the exact moment that Curry put the stake through the hearts of the Thunder. Un-fucking-real.

What was amazing was the differential in rebounds, all the missed layups by the Warriors, and also the missed FTs. And they STILL won! What a great game, amazing team. Curry is in a whole different league. WOW!

Regarding Sabes and Bochy, they not only have dinner together often during the season, but are good friends away from the game, and the two and their wives hang out together quite a bit. I think the continuity in the Giant org is big.

I am going to predict 93 wins. And as is usually the caveat, IF they stay healthy, and as Flav said (with the healthy caveat), “if they play to potential,” good things will happen to this team, culminating with another parade down Market Street.

Optimistic? You bet your sweet ass I am.

Four in Seven!

Humm Baby – Let’s Do It Again!

8. unca_chuck said, on February 29, 2016 at 9:22 am

Yeah, I think 95 is eminently doable. Cain and Timmy will tag-team to some level of competence . . .

Hah!

• chipower9 said, on February 29, 2016 at 9:58 am

Charlie – I know many Flappers have said that “ship has sailed” re: Timmy, but with the question marks around Cain…who knows. And regardless of whether or not 55 pitches again in a Giant uni, he will forever and always be one of my all-time favorite Giants.

9. unca_chuck said, on February 29, 2016 at 10:41 am

With Cain on the fritz Timmy’s return is entirely possible.

10. zumiee said, on February 29, 2016 at 11:58 am

“you gotta wonder what they will do with surplus of OF, all of whom have ? marks.”

Yeah, Willie, and of course one of the biggest questions is Puig. They’re hoping he brings a full commitment to the game this season. But you have to wonder that the silly helicopter thing is another goofy sign about him. He checked out the possibility of riding in a helicopter to home games to avoid traffic. I remember the quote about Chris Washburn one time, an anonymous NBA coach said (rather cruelly): “He’s got a million-dollar body, and a 10 cent brain.” I don’t think Puig is THAT bad off, and there’s been some eccentric yet successful baseball players in the past, but still, he’s a concern to the Dodgers.

11. Bozo said, on February 29, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Great job Flav, I’m glad you and Daniel continue with the Shop Talk.
    Two exceptions though, I don’t see a problem with the Giants Medical staff (I assume that means trainers, medical groups and specialists), so there is at least one of us here on the Flap that has trust in them.
    And with that, I think Cain will be ready for his second start. I don’t know how well he’ll be throwing but the Horse is going to be on the mound.

• chipower9 said, on February 29, 2016 at 3:08 pm

I agree on both points, John. I think the Giants medical folks know what the hell they are doing…I think the problem most Flappers have with them is that they (the Flappers) feel that the Giants medicos are never fully forthcoming in their analysis or synopsis of a medical issues with a player. And as I stated earlier, if I was in their (the medicos’ shoes), I would do the same damned thing.

I am also with you on Cain. I think he is one the bump pretty early in the season. Jury is certainly out on how effective (or ineffective) he will be once there…

• zumiee said, on February 29, 2016 at 4:10 pm

I see that point, totally; but some of the concern expressed by Flappers was that the Giants sometimes seem to fake out themselves, or at least buy into being overly-optimistic sometimes. We’ve seen several times where something seemed really wrong with a player, but the player continues to get trotted out there for quite a while until finally he goes on the DL. Meanwhile, did it cost the team games while he was trotted out there? That’s the fan frustration part. Or they benched the guy for a while before putting him on the DL, and had only 24 players available for several games. Maybe that happens with all teams. Maybe fans of every team have these frustrations.

• Macdog said, on February 29, 2016 at 5:09 pm

A silent majority? Count me in as not having any problems with the “medicos.” Are they perfect? No, but as, I think, Twin used to point out, it’s not a perfect science, especially when they’re dealing with players who don’t ever want to sit and will say anything to get back on the field ASAP whether they’re ready or not.

12. xoot said, on February 29, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Some suspicion of the Giants medicos has its source in the mishandling of Noah Lowry’s career ending problems. Misdiagnosis led to useless forearm surgery when really he needed to have a rib removed to cure a circulatory problem (or something like that). Hard to recall that Noah Lowry ever mattered that much.

• Bozo said, on February 29, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Yeah xoot, it always comes back to Lowry, but was his rare injury mishandled? His agent sure thought so, but I’m not sure that I ever heard Noah accuse his treatment as such.

Over the years the Giants have employed various Trainers, Medical Groups and Specialists. and in that time I don’t recall one player complaining about their treatment. Not the players with the balky backs, the Hammy guys or the concussed guys. I don’t remember Dravecky, Nen, Shooter, Brian Wilson, or Cain complaining. Like any patient, some guys went for a second opinion or opted for a different specialist. which is the right of any patient.
      And, I can’t help but wonder why any business would risk multi million dollar investments on hiring shoddy experts to maintain/fix that investment? That just doesn’t make any sense to me.
      Still it always comes back to Lowry. This is the last interview I read by him, it was from 2013 so maybe over the years he just changed his mind about his treatment, but still…

• xoot said, on February 29, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Good piece on Noah L. Puts the Lincecum situation in an interesting perspective. Every attempted comeback is heroic.

• Flavor said, on March 1, 2016 at 5:43 am

I always think first of NL when I think about incompetent Giants medicos.