Marty Lurie

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 14, 2016

He threw out a tweet yesterday and I gave it the quickest, snarkiest response possible. I would probably change it to “no. 16. 7th inning stretch”.

I love the 7th inning stretch. It’s just the perfection of baseball encapsulated into one minute. And I’m all about “take me out to the ballgame” not that silly “God Bless America” nonsense that started after 9/11.

Anyway, how would you guys answer Lurie’s tweet?

martylurie

1. Flavor said, on March 14, 2016 at 9:29 am

regarding Madness, everyone seems to think Pac 12 is underrated but all I saw was a bunch of teams losing on the road all year. Assuming none of them have a home game in the tourney, and I haven’t actually checked to see if any of them get a game at home, then aren’t they all pretty much a *bet against* to do anything other than get out of the first round?

• Macdog said, on March 14, 2016 at 9:57 am

With a couple of exceptions — Oklahoma in OKC, Carolina in Raleigh — everyone else is on the road, too. Oregon gets first two in Spokane, though it’s in the middle of nowhere, I can see their fans making that trip. I’m pretty sure my co-worker Maryland fan, who was considering going to the Terps’ early games, won’t be going out there. And Utah is in Denver. I guess the big test will be Arizona in Providence and USC in Raleigh.

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2016 at 10:21 am

for me, it’s not about just the fans in the seats. It’s the venue, the floor, the depth of the rim to the seats behind, stuff like that. There seems to be something about pac 12 teams this year excelling on their home court. But, small sample size I guess. we’ll see. I still like Utah a lot so if I send them through I probably should send Cal through a couple of rounds, too.
        Or, I might just play nothing but DFS players and skip the brackets. There is a LOT of money being offered in DFS for Madness this year.

• ewisco said, on March 14, 2016 at 10:31 am

the p-12 tournament was in vegas wasn’t it? doesn’t that count as “road” wins?

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2016 at 10:55 am

sure. Against other teams that play bad on the road, I guess that does count. 🙂

• ewisco said, on March 14, 2016 at 11:08 am

I was only hoping you wouldn’t make that particular point.

2. zumiee said, on March 14, 2016 at 10:26 am

I think Williamson/Parker will be a leftfield platoon by the All-Star break.
    Williamson probably starts the season at AAA.
    I think Heston will get about 15 starts.
    A favorite baseball tradition is the arrival of the season preview magazines in stores.

3. unca_chuck said, on March 14, 2016 at 10:37 am

Yeah, I think Mac makes the roster due to the issues already with Pagan ad Pence. 22 starts for Moses

4. Flavor said, on March 14, 2016 at 10:56 am

I seriously doubt they put Mac on SF team unless he’s going to play every day.

• unca_chuck said, on March 14, 2016 at 11:02 am

Well, he should keep his phone close by . . .

5. zumiee said, on March 14, 2016 at 11:04 am

Ha! MLB is a small world. Sandoval hit an HR off of….Vogelsong!

6. alleykat69 said, on March 14, 2016 at 11:38 am

As we all know the G’s aren’t gonna eat Pagan’s 10mil.So until he gets hurt Mac stays in Sac unfortunately.Just hope they don’t let him play the “I lol be ok with a few days rest BS with a lingering injury and weaken the roster with a open space needed.
    My OF right now would be Span,Pence,Blanco,Parker&Williamson, but that won’t happen until Pagan craters..

• unca_chuck said, on March 14, 2016 at 12:29 pm

I think Angel’s leash is not going to be nearly as long as it was last year.

7. unca_chuck said, on March 14, 2016 at 11:53 am

Oh yeah. Hating on the Dodgers is my favorite baseball tradition.

8. Macdog said, on March 14, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Dawkins out at Stanford.

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Jeez, FINALLY. Totally overrated, IMO. Couldn’t understand how he kept tricking the AD into a gig.

9. gianthead said, on March 14, 2016 at 4:10 pm

I am not one for tradition..yeah I’m the conservative here. So I actually don’t care about 7th inning stretch nor God Bless America. In fact, I think playing the national anthem at every god dammed sporting event including high school sports is too much and lessens the actual value and impact of the anthem.

I actually intentionally quietly protest the 7th inning stretch by sitting and refusing to sung any refrain of take me out the ballpark….

To badly paraphrase the comedian Greg Proops who said one day on his podcast that growing up in the Bay Area gave him a a massive dose of intense cynicism….

• gianthead said, on March 14, 2016 at 4:16 pm

I think CLEAN MAC needs to start the season on sactown playing every day. I like Parker as the fifth OF. If CLEAN MAC starts on a tear and Parker and or Pagan falter or an injury pipes up then CLEAN MAC coming up June firstish makes sense.

Heston I would expect gets all of Cain’s starts….let’s hope for the sake of Cain’s health that is not more than 6 starts unless they decide to give Kid Stratton a shot so they can keep Heston and his potential more adept arm in long relief.

• snarkk said, on March 14, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Heston and other young arms– use em. What are they waiting for– for all the AAA and AA guys to get TJ surgery?…

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Cain will pitch on Friday. Should be interesting.

10. gianthead said, on March 14, 2016 at 4:24 pm

My Madness picks hinges on Kansas losing…so I have Cal or UCONN coming out of that bracket. If that is wrong, I’m f’d…UNC over OK as my more conservative pick with UCONN-UVA in the Final Four and Michigan State over Cal in my other entry with UK and A&M the other final four teams..

11. snarkk said, on March 14, 2016 at 6:34 pm

I think Williamson could hit a dozen dingers this spring and he still starts in Sac. I believe he botched a deep fly to LF the game I saw, after coming in for Pagan; his glove may be a bit like Burrell’s– maybe somebody has his fielding stats. Anyway, the OF options look broader this year, finally. Pagan and Blanco are almost certainly gone next season, so it’s good there look to be some internal candidates. Neither Williamson nor Parker are spring chickens — they need to come up soon and prove they are worthy or not good enough…

12. zumiee said, on March 14, 2016 at 7:03 pm

The Giants/A’s game is on the A’s Comcast channel, and on the MLB Network in some parts of the country.

13. zumiee said, on March 14, 2016 at 7:17 pm

One pitch, and Cueto takes a ball off his forehead. A glancing blow. He’s staying in the game.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 14, 2016 at 9:12 pm

I looked at it a couple times. You sure about the “glancing”?

14. zumiee said, on March 14, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Reddick with a 3-run HR.

15. sandog said, on March 14, 2016 at 8:00 pm

I like the sometimes-seen tradition where if a guy takes a big rip on the first pitch of the game, he gets the next pitch thrown at his chin. I saw Dravecky do this live to Steve Sax many years ago at Dodger Stadium. Might have even been opening day. Sax homered on the first pitch in the bottom of the 1st. Next time he came up, I started yelling that he was going to get knocked on his ass. And he did.

My Final Four:
    Oklahoma (They impressed me big time earlier in the year and I like Lon Kruger)
    Arizona (brutal bracket. I hate the “Cats, but they always have talent and Miller can coach)
    Michigan State
    North Carolina (far and away the easiest path IMO)

Nothing to worry about regarding Cueto……right??

• willedav said, on March 14, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Hey SD–how your season turn out? Take a deep breath and relax after it’s over or did it end too soon?
      Those are good picks but AZ doesn’t have near talent they usually do. I like Maryland to take that bracket.

Guy on KNBR Krueger went off this morning over Williamson, saying he’s the best they have for LF right now and should get the everyday ABs with big Giants over Pagan and Blanco instead of at Sacto.

16. zumiee said, on March 14, 2016 at 9:01 pm

I’m not nervous about Cueto.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 14, 2016 at 9:11 pm

righto

• sandog said, on March 14, 2016 at 9:35 pm

I love it!

17. willedav said, on March 14, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Curry’s inside finishes amaze me. Lot of guys can make nice moves to get there and then throw up a stupid shot and can’t finish. He blows by people with hesitation move/cross over and then gets to the rim and scores with variety of bank shots with English.

18. pawliekokonuts said, on March 14, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Just saw Cueto take that liner to the head. I hate that. Especially the sound of it. Hope he is okay. (We all remember Ironhead Martinez.) I do not concur with the decision to keep him in the game.

19. willedav said, on March 14, 2016 at 9:11 pm

hard to f-ing believe but Bogut just swished a 3. He was standing on top looking to pass while Warriors were standing around trying to get out off screens, shot clock hit 1 so he launched it.
    Then blocks a shot at other end which eventually leads to a 3 by Thompson for 18 pt lead.

Um, Kings fans, pls tell me what happened to get Cousins suspended. What was the yelling with Karl about?
    I notice they lost to Utah with him back in LU. Is this relationship over? Who goes?

20. pawliekokonuts said, on March 14, 2016 at 9:15 pm

GiantHead, your 4:10 gave me a lot to ponder. Thanks.

21. unca_chuck said, on March 14, 2016 at 9:44 pm

For the Kings sake, Willie they better keep Cousins. Karl was a bad hire. They never should have fired Milone. They lose Cousins, their new stadium will be empty.

22. unca_chuck said, on March 14, 2016 at 9:46 pm

I thought conservatives were for tradition.

Shit, saw Cueto’s line drive.

Moronic that he stayed on the game and then had the concussion protocol afterward.

• alleykat69 said, on March 14, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Agree Chuck,
      It’s a meaningless ST game,and they should of immediately taken Cueto out.
      But as usual are crack medical staff who are incompetent leaves him in, then he goes under concussion protocol after the game?? WTF
      Why don’t major league teams hire a full time medical doctor like the NFL does??

23. sandog said, on March 14, 2016 at 9:48 pm

@Willie: Season turned out pretty good (9-5), our best season in my 3 years at the helm. Just had our banquet tonight and hell yes, I’m taking a breath after going through the grind of another season of bus rides. Next year I may well be the varsity coach which will be another level of commitment, but I’m (mostly) ready for it.

I like your Maryland pick, but I still think Zona has some nice talent on the roster.

As for Kings, I’m ready to blow it up. Fire Karl, he was a lousy hire with nothing left in the tank. Trade Cousins for 50 cents on the dollar and let Rondo walk. Yeah, we’d probably go 12-70 in a brand new building if we did that, but I’m ready for it. The Kings kind of remind me of the Giants back in the 80’s before Al Rosen came in and blew shit up. Let’s put together a scrappy team that plays hard and represents the city with class.
    It still ABSOLUTELY KILLS me to see the Warriors become a legendary team after so many years of taking comfort in the fact that they sucked just as bad as the Kings did.

24. sandog said, on March 14, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Gianthead remains sitting for the 7th inning stretch and doesn’t sing at all.
    I dig it. I’m gonna start doing that too.

25. xoot said, on March 14, 2016 at 10:50 pm

At least some far left radicals hate the singing during the 7th inning stretch. Also the anthem, that ridiculous ritual. Although now that I’m a senior citizen I’m not so willing to say eff off to some young yahoo who tells me to take my hat off. So I’m often busy getting a beer then. But occasionally confrontations do occur. Tell it Trump, a-hole.

26. snarkk said, on March 14, 2016 at 11:22 pm

I’m diggin’ those who think the national anthem sucks. It does. The tune is an old english pub driniking tune. The lyrics are about the beginning of the War of 1812, a war nobody gave much of a damn about then, or since. If you are going to sing anything ritually, use “America the Beautiful”. Good tune, easy to sing, lyrics are about the country, the people, not some dumbass war song. And, can the “God Bless America” stuff in the 7th inning. What’s next — we all have to sign a loyalty oath and pledge to the 700 Club to get a beer?…