Is America Really This Dumb?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 20, 2016

I’ve never really let political beliefs of others bother me too much. I’m not talking about super radical shit, just whether you are a Republican, a Democrat or something else. Whatever. To each his own and I stopped getting into political debates a long time ago. Nobody EVER changes their mind.

But this Trump thing has changed all of that for me. It has exposed a large section of America that I guess I had hoped didn’t exist. I almost never run into a Trump supporter in person but when I do I think to myself “how could anyone be that stupid?” So far, it hasn’t been anyone I would actually call a friend. Even some of my friends who hate Clinton can’t bring themselves to support Trump. But for the first time in my life, I think I would have a very difficult time being friends with someone who is so mindless and brain dead.

And it got me to thinking this morning, after I read an article about Scott Idiot Baio pledging his support for Trump (does anyone really care who a washed up celebrity supports politically?) would I still be able to support a Giant who is backing Trump? If MadBum came out today and said he’s all-in on a Trump presidency, would I look at him differently when he’s on the mound?

The answer is, probably not. It’s not like I ever interact with MadBum socially. And he’s given me too many things to be happy about to ever not support his work as a pitcher for the Giants. So I have to admit that there is at least a capillary of hypocrisy running through me.

If one of my buddies ever wins a World Series as a member of the Giants and he’s dumb enough to support Donald Trump, I guess we would still be friends. I’d at least root for him to succeed during the games.

1. willedav said, on March 20, 2016 at 9:10 am

Gotta wonder what others idea of “Make America Great” really is—f-ing with Iran Russia China No. Korea? How did “whack Iraq” go?
    Reminds me of Randy Newman:
    They all hate us anynow
    So let’s drop the big one now

Or maybe trying to rebuild and reload the country, with improved infrastructure health care and education for a vast majority of country.
    As opposed to cutting taxes on wealthy and chopping up Medicare SS while building up Defense Dept., and allow big banks and industry to stifle competition and divert their profits off shore.

Just finished Kinzer book on the Dulles brothers, frightening look at what went on from WW2 and OSS as it morphed into CIA and official/unofficial way America conducted itself around the globe.
    Glad to see that at least in terms of Cuba we are trying to redeem ourselves for all the harm done in 100 yrs.

2. xoot said, on March 20, 2016 at 9:49 am

Trump’s supporters aren’t all mindless and brain dead, and that’s what bothers me the most. True, some are simply dullards unaware of their own racist, mysogynist and xenophobic fears. That bunch apparently has seethed while a Black man with an ostentatiously non-European name occupied the White House. But many Trump supporters admire his policy bent for reasons based on something resembling actual analysis. So maybe Trump’s deep popularity shows just how effed up the country is. E.g.,

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 20, 2016 at 9:52 am

One of the great things about social media is that I’ve reconnected with old family and friends. One of the terrible things is realizing that some of them are wing nut Trump supporters. I’m not just talking grumpy old great uncles and whatnot. A couple of guys that I was in business with 10-15 years ago are huge Trump supporters. Both are what I previously would have considered to be smart level headed guys. So to answer your question, yes people are this fucking stupid. They apparently think that Trump is some sort of status quo breaker. While I think there is an element of the establishment media portraying Trump in a way that he isn’t you can’t really get around the things he has said and what has gone down at some of his events.

Personally I think Trump never expected to get to this point with his long slow troll of the Republican Party yet here we are. One thing is for sure. This has been one of the most bizarre presidential election cycles ever.

• Flavor said, on March 20, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I think your point about Trump not expecting to get this far is probably valid. I do think he’s continuing on now just for the strokes and the adoration of these nut jobs. I always lol to myself when guys who were successful in the business world think that qualifies them to run a country that takes in nearly 4 trillion dollars a year. Although Trump probably thinks 4 tril is about his net worth so maybe he thinks we all need to relax, he’s GOT this. lqtm

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 20, 2016 at 3:07 pm

I’ve never understood people thinking government should be run like a business. I just don’t subscribe to that belief. Some things like education, welfare, healthcare etc don’t necessarily run as a short term profit but the long term benefit to society are worthwhile.

A friend tells me that Trump loaned his campaign money and is making 8% interest on the money. To be honest I haven’t researched that claim but it would fall in line with Trump’s shady ways imo. What’s frightening to me is that the alternative on the right is Cruz. That dude is creepy as all hell and his political positions are nutso.

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 20, 2016 at 10:00 am

Chachi endorsing Trump shouldn’t be surprising. He always wanted to hang with the cool kids.

5. Macdog said, on March 20, 2016 at 10:26 am

Just think, if the Giants win the World Series this season, they could be visiting President Trump next year.

6. Carstie Clausen said, on March 20, 2016 at 10:51 am

The .0000001% detest Trump because his fortune is relatively independent of their pyramidal web of wealth wrung from the .9999999%. The phenomenon of fear is turned on it’s head. The man is out of control ~ the three words most frightening to the multi-generational hyper-elite.

Full disclosure. I do not intend to vote this fall because when machines count the votes, voters’ votes do not count. The game is totally rigged. How the hell else did Shrub Bu$h, whose father ran the Dallas incident for the CIA, get to be Proxydent?

7. snarkk said, on March 20, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I don’t think we get smarter listening to MLB players talk about anything other than baseball. (Same with pro golfers, those dudes can spout some crazy reich-wing crap — that’s what constant ass-kissing on Tour can do to you). On radio, this LaRoche thing is just getting major run. Nobody seems to really know the “true facts” about who said and did what. (Can a “fact” not be true? — I guess so if you support moronic, neo-fascist Republican presidential candidates). Anyway, LaRoche is major grist for the dull time of Spring Training mill, so we should be thankful. The more you look at the personal lives and beliefs of MLB players, the more you don’t want to know. Like making sausage and laws — IMO we’re better off not knowing what these knuckleheads are really like off the field in their private moments. Mostly, these are guys that got only high school educations, or some college courses in between taking 200 grounders a day and hitting all afternoon off a tee. So, I’m not going to look to Bum or Posey for political advice. As long as they’re producing on the field, and not causing havoc in the clubhouse with the rest of the squad, I’m pretty much good. Now, if they were members of the John Birch Society or the KKK, I WOULD pay attention to that kind of revelation. But since I’m a Giants fan, I’m not sure I’d really WANT to know that…

8. willedav said, on March 20, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Lumberjacks of SFA doing state of Texas proud. fun to watch on offense as they move the ball and cut to the hoop and hustle and trap at other end.
    Nova blew out another member of Big 10. Want to look this one up, but I wonder what state has most teams left at the 16 mark?

9. snarkk said, on March 20, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Obama is heading for Havana today, followed in a few days by a Rays game there against some Cuba team. I think the Cuba opening will be a major legacy deal of the Obama era. Pretty soon, there will be lots more Cubans in MLB, as there will be a regularized pipeline of baseball players from Cuba to MLB. How the pipeline will develop, I dunno. But, it will happen. Nixon went to Red China in ’72, now we have China, Inc. (aka Walmart) selling $350 billion worth of crap in the US annually. We should probably all hit the Cuban beaches before Marriott, Hilton and the rest of them ruin everything, and the locals sell all their 40s and 50s vintage cars to rich US collectors…

• Carstie Clausen said, on March 20, 2016 at 1:14 pm

I have long dreamed of an MLB team relocating to Havana. Cuba would explode. In a very good way. With Toronto as the only international locus for pro baseball, the addition of Havana would reintegrate the Cuban people within a shared cultural network than any other foreseeable development. It would also mean that baseball will begin the process of internationalization which basketball has long enjoyed ~ which is not limited to a few players and their fans and supporters “back home” ~ but would “back home” back to the players and to a growing baseball world.

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Stix, not nearly enough money to support a MLB team in Havana. But, you never know, someday there could be one or more minor league outposts deposited there…

• Macdog said, on March 20, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Maybe the Marlins should move there, since nobody in Miami gives a damn about ’em.

10. zumiee said, on March 20, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Chris Matthews had an insight:
    Trump never really joined the GOP; he wants to beat them.
    Lincoln, T. Roosevelt, and Eisenhower want to posthumously leave the GOP.

11. Flavor said, on March 20, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Grant Green with a blast. Belt hit one 450 earlier. Ball is flying today.

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Blackburn was pretty decent. I’m smelling at least one minor league starter, plus Heston, pulling significant innings this season. Peavy looks like a car with a bad ball joint, the wheel could come off at any time. Bum is fine unless that “neuroma” in his foot is worse than advertised. Cain is a cypher until proven otherwise. And the new Two look good on paper, but haven’t looked good so far. Are we entering a time of really good Giants offense, and NOT so good pitching?…

12. snarkk said, on March 20, 2016 at 3:35 pm

The Dubs loss to the Spurs last night was a perfect loss. They played without 3 players who normally play a lot, including Iggy, their best defender. They didn’t shoot the ball at all. Second night of a road back to back. And still they were in the game with a few minutes left, only to lose by just 8. Barring injury, I don’t see any way the Dubs can lose a playoff series…

13. unca_chuck said, on March 20, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Wasn’t the world baseball championships thing in Havana? Did that do well? The league could kick in some bones to run the team in Cuba.

As far as Trump goes, I think it was a goof until he started winning. I think he just went full gonzo bat shit crazy once the adulation started pouring in. His ego just went out of orbit. His egging on of the fights at his convention is grist for Fox to grind on as they cover the protesters going after Trump. It wasn’t a problem until Trump made it happen. His self-fullfilling prophecy of anger and vitriol that feeds into this cycle of weirdness.

And I think it’s no coincidence that Bernie is doing so well. People ARE fed up with the Clinton/Bush legacy on both sides of the aisle.

Too bad Hunter Thompson isn’t around for this.

14. unca_chuck said, on March 20, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Trump is so anti-republican in about half of his viewpoints that is baffles me. He wants a single payer option, and universal healthcare.

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Yep, there are things to Trump totally not old school GOP. I gotta say there are a few things I like that he says. That’s why the GOP establishment wants him gone. Such as, they know Dubya was a massive disaster, but the party standard bearer can’t be out there reminding everyone about it. Also, I’m for cutting off this massive gravy train to Ike’s MI complex. Trump says he’d put a stop to the endless wars we fight. I’m for that. Think of what $3 trillion in spending not on the rathole of Iraq, but on our own infrastructure would have done for this country?…

• unca_chuck said, on March 20, 2016 at 3:51 pm

It would have been pissed away in many other ways, Tom. The biggest pisser to me is the Republicans blocking of all the infrastructure jobs bills Obama tried to enact at the beginning of his presidency.

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Yeah, the Pubs would have voted down a law giving every adult a free Glock if Obama had proposed it. They were dead set to derail his presidency before the smoke cleared the day after his 2008 election…

15. unca_chuck said, on March 20, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Tom, I’m with you there with the caveat that Bogut and Iggy are at least 90% healthy. Festus is baffling as I thought he was a 2 week thing, but it has been 2 months.

For as terrible as the Dubs played it was pretty much a good thing that they were in it. I really thought it was going to be a shootout with our defense injured, but we defended well. Except for the boards. Barnes had another annoying game, and his defense was soft underneath. Aldridge had has good a game in SA as bad as he was here. That is a direct result of not having Bogut and Festus.

And Willie, my son said the exact same thing about Green. His airballing a 3 when we finally tied the score, and then dribbled the ball off his foot on the next possession was a bitch. But most everyone had a bad night.

Thing is the Dubs have 2 more games with them. Got to get that 1st seed.

16. unca_chuck said, on March 20, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Tom, that IS the biggest reason the Republican establishment hates Trump. He isn’t part of their old-crony network. If he’s for getting the money out of Congress, he’d make a ton of hay.

My thought is if these riots avery stop being an issue, and Trump gets in, he’ll veer to the middle like all the other Republicans before him.

17. snarkk said, on March 20, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Belt 4-4 today, 4 RBIs with a huge HR. So, you guys wanting to trade him can put that on the back burner until the next time he slumps his shoulders… 😉

18. snarkk said, on March 20, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Lurie reports Cueto went 6 full, about 75 pitches, 1 run, in a minor league game today. Ok, minor league competition, but he went the 6, so that’s good…

• Flavor said, on March 20, 2016 at 6:49 pm

why is Cueto still pitching to minor leaguers?

• zumiee said, on March 20, 2016 at 7:00 pm

I think this may have been a case of not wanting to give a divisional opponent an extended free exposure to him.

• Flavor said, on March 20, 2016 at 7:16 pm

what’s this, his 10th season? Almost exclusively in the NL. I think the divisional foes pretty much know what he’s all about. To me, this is the Giants not thinking he’s in shape to face mlb hitters. Maybe “in shape” is the wrong phrase. Maybe they don’t think his arm is live enough yet for mlbers. Either way, I don’t think it’s a good thing that Cueto, our 100+ million dollar pitcher, is facing minor leaguers in a planned way on March 20th…..

• xoot said, on March 20, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Cueto practiced his pick off move during the game today. Caught a couple of the minor leaguers leaning, apparently. Definitely no reason to do that during a game against a real rival.

• snarkk said, on March 20, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Can’t blame the kid. Too much chaos going on in the Cal program. The AD has to get this ship righted ASAP, and figure out what to do with Martin. Not a good look…

• xoot said, on March 20, 2016 at 9:21 pm

The kid’s choice makes sense. Reminds me of another Cal debacle — shutting down the baseball program a few years back and then reversing. I knew a kid, drafted by the Red Sox out of HS, who committed to Cal instead and then got the news about the baseball program. He and his family had to scramble to get him into the UCLA program. Then in the 11th hour, the Cal baseball program revived — at least in the short term. I saw some journalist notes just the other day about Cal eyeing more sports cuts yet again. Overall, I’d say their athletic programs are in serious disarray.

19. Macdog said, on March 20, 2016 at 7:58 pm

That was some epic collapse by Northern Iowa.

20. snarkk said, on March 20, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Take a look at a cyst removal from an arm. Wasn’t Cain’s.
    Not for the faint of heart…

21. unca_chuck said, on March 20, 2016 at 10:59 pm

No thanks.

22. Tom Dodd said, on March 21, 2016 at 9:40 am

“IS AMERICA really this dumb?, is a question I asked myself when the present President was elected the second time. Is America really this dumb, to believe that a socialist state is where we want to take this nation ~ especially when socialism has FAILED, or is in the process of failing, everywhere it’s been tried?

…I’VE read all of the comments regarding Trump and his supporters, but I haven’t read anything with any fact or substance to back up the many erroneous comments… not a single shred. Seems like most everyone here gets their “facts” from MSNBC, HuffPo, or Mother Jones…

…WHAT is it that Trump has said that y’all object to?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 21, 2016 at 10:10 am