Pence is Back Baby! He’s Back!!!!!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 23, 2016

Not gonna lie, Hunter Pence roping the shit out of the ball last night really got me going. He showed me he’s healthy and isn’t showing that to ME all that really matters? lqtm.

I haven’t seen him in one of his girlfriend’s dumb ass gifs in at least a week. Correlation?

They say his HR got out of the park at 114 miles per hour which is 1/2 mile per hour faster than the hardest ball he hit all of last season.

_______________

Two flaps pointed skyward for San Dawg’s dad who passed away a couple of months ago……

1. willedav said, on March 23, 2016 at 7:41 am

fwiw F/G is doing their projections for WAR by position for each team. Giants have top SS in NL, second best 2b in NL (behind only Zobrist of Cubs) and Belt is 5th in NL behind Golds, Votto Rizzo and Freeman, even with AGon and Duda but gets nod on D.

Last year projections dogged Panik and knocks on them are mostly for O that might decline. Panik of course blasted through projections to have great year and Crawford had best year of plate in his career. Even the F/G said Panik might still have lot better season that many people think, again.

These are fun to read and don’t really mean anything but…when I read them last year they were down on Pagan and MacG, both of whom turned out to be duds and fulfilled what was said about them.

I’ll say it again—move Posey anywhere you want, Giants still have to find a C. Susac is still having problems with his wrist. Other current options are Brown and Kottaras which I’m not sure are any better than what Giants had in the past with likes of Hacktor the Prez and Stewart. You can’t go there til there is a viable everyday mler.

Sad to hear that, SD. shoot me an email if you want to talk b-ball wdblues122@yahoo.

• Flavor said, on March 23, 2016 at 8:01 am

interesting to listen to Bochy discuss Susac, basically calling him a pussy. That about seals it for Brown, if he’s healthy.

2. chipower9 said, on March 23, 2016 at 8:02 am

Flav – you got it all wrong, brother…what really matters is that Pence is showing he is healthy to ME! 😉

What a fucking laser beam! What is the latest on the videos with his other half?

3. chipower9 said, on March 23, 2016 at 8:10 am

Thanks for the info on fangraphs, WillieD. For those interested, here is the link:

I have mentioned that I really liked Panik since he came up. Love his approach at the plate, and also his glove. He just seems so relaxed and confident, to me much more so than the years he has played at the ML level. I will not be surprised, and I think it will happened, that Panik will win a batting title or two.

4. Carstie Clausen said, on March 23, 2016 at 8:10 am

Seems like the regulars were kinda laying back in the weeds in the early part of ST. Now that we’re coming into the more serious getting ready period, they are starting to strut their stuff ~ as Pence loudly announced yesterday and Belt the day before. There have been injuries and such, but they came on pretty early and there’s been time to heal em up without the big pressure of the looming season. Now we need those starters to start racking them up.

• chipower9 said, on March 23, 2016 at 8:18 am

I agree Stix…time for the starters to get dialed-in and start mowing ’em down!

5. chipower9 said, on March 23, 2016 at 8:17 am

San Dawg – sorry to hear about your loss, brother.

For those who did not see it, here is a replay of Pence’s bomb from yesterday…

Dude is dialed-in.

Is it just me, or does it look like Pence put a bit of meat on those bones of his?

6. willedav said, on March 23, 2016 at 8:22 am

I think Dirt posted this but according to guy on MCCovey site Parker is hitting .217 with 16 Ks in 49 ABs in ST.
    Which deserves a hmmnn—lot of power but not making much contact. I’ve seen all sorts of projections on who is on the 25 last few days, on the MCC site and on Baggs site columns from bloggers posting their versions.

OF is either only 4 in some cases or 5 with Gorkys who is having great spring apparently as last guy in and both kids to Sac with maybe Mac sliding in after good couple months.
    Triple O plus Specs over Gillaspie, no Arroyo…yet.
    3 Cs in some cases as Susac heals/PHs, others have him on the DL with only Brown.
    12 or 13 pitchers, depending on Cain to DL or not with Gearrin up.

Thoughts?

• willedav said, on March 23, 2016 at 8:44 am

Haven’t watched any ST or heard more than a half inning on radio so I got nothing on the 25.
      Guy on MC site asked something interesting: what do you value more off the bench, a glove or a bat?

• chipower9 said, on March 23, 2016 at 8:57 am

Both of the young guys have some holes in their swings. With Mac, I am not sure that will ever change drastically due to his physique (tall) and his swing. Williamson has 14 Ks in 46 ABs. Parker has 18 Ks in 53 ABs. So basically, both are striking out about once every three ABs.

Parker, not only this spring, but last year, has made some pretty damned good plays in the OF (I think it was yesterday or the day before when he had made a play that few thought he would). He has a good read/jump on the ball and can close the gap. I am not as familiar with Mac’s glove/fielding work.

I think if either one of them gets the nod on the 25, it will be Parker, as I think management will want Mac playing every day, more so than Parker. Just my gut and based on what I have seen to date.

Not that many questions/holes to fill, and that is pretty damned cool. I continue to be very excited about this upcoming season, and cannot wait to sit my ass down in a seat at the yard and take in a game. Only 15 days until the home opener! My daughter and I will be in the Club level…CANNOT WAIT!

Four in Seven, Baby!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 23, 2016 at 8:57 am

I put more value in the bat off the bench.

Yeah, Parker is sitting at .208 as of this morning. He hits bombs but like you said lots of Ks. I’m thinking Gorky and Brown break camp with the club but you never know. Bochy may go with Olivo to back up Posey. With the club wanting the young outfielders to play it is still surprising to me that they didn’t bring Byrd back considering that he signed with Cleveland for something like $1M. Maybe he couldn’t get past feeling screwed over on his option.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 23, 2016 at 8:46 am

Sad news, Dawg. Sorry for your loss.

8. unca_chuck said, on March 23, 2016 at 9:46 am

Just saw Bill Walton pimping his book that he wrote (on ESPN), Back From the Dead. Very cool interview.

Gonna have to check that out . . . Can’t even count how many Dead show I saw him at.

Our deepest condolences, Dawg.

9. zumiee said, on March 23, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Sorry about the loss of your dad, Dawg. I went through that in 2010. I watched several Giants games with my dad while he was in the hospital. He was impressed with how good the Giants were playing that season. He wasn’t doing well, but got well enough to come home, and eventually passed away in his own bed. He didn’t see the Giants complete their magic run that year. And he was actually a bigger fan of NASCAR and Texas Hold’em Poker. He could tell me the strategy and tactics of both of those in great detail, which was cool. I never really warmed up to either of them that much, but it was a cool thing to watch with my dad. My dad and I weren’t close in my youth years, but we became good friends in my adult years.

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 23, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Cain taking the hill this afternoon. I’m interested to see how he does.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 23, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Aaand Cain gives up a HR on the 1st pitch.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 23, 2016 at 1:32 pm

haha, yeah Chuck. Belt with another bomb to extend his red hot spring training. Such a pussy.

13. chipower9 said, on March 23, 2016 at 1:40 pm

As Dirt mentioned, Belt belted another…gotta run, I have got to jump on that “Beat Off to Belt Train!”

Oh, and Agent Zero with a double and RBI…

14. Irish Kevin said, on March 23, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Joe Garagiola, Beloved Baseball Announcer, Dies at 90

• chipower9 said, on March 23, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Wow…sad news. RIP.

• wilcojoe said, on March 23, 2016 at 2:49 pm

One of my all time favorite comedies is Christopher Guest’s Best in Show. Fred Williard as the Joe Garagiola “color guy” of the Kennel Club Show is pure genius.

• Carstie Clausen said, on March 23, 2016 at 6:17 pm

“This is Harry Carey along with Joe Garagiola coming to you from beautiful Busch Stadium in St. Louis, where tonight its Sad Sam Jones pitching for the San Francisco Giants against Vinegar Bend Mizell taking the mound for the Cards.” Radio memory from the Summer of ’58.

15. chipower9 said, on March 23, 2016 at 1:43 pm

My true concern with this team, and it gets a bit more pronounced with each and every day, is that our pitchers, and especially the starters, need to start consistently putting up zeros. Seriously, only 12 days until the opener…time to get it dialed-in boys…

16. chipower9 said, on March 23, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Belt goes yard again…definitely jumping on that train! Cain – 6 earned in 4 IP. NOT what we need to see. Like I said earlier, our starters have to start putting up zeros regularly.

17. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 23, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Yeah, Cain was knocked around pretty good. Still early for him coming back from the cyst removal so maybe give him a little leeway.

18. alleykat69 said, on March 23, 2016 at 2:59 pm

My deepest condolences San Dawg for the loss of your Dad..
    I lost both my parents last year, my Mother on Mother Day and my Dad 3 months later a week before my birthday in August. From a broken heart.
    Still cuts deep in my own heart to this day. Hang in there Dawg!

19. zumiee said, on March 23, 2016 at 3:09 pm

The Giants’ version of the “shell game” in Spring Training is to see which starting pitcher gets shelled that day.
    🙂

20. zumiee said, on March 23, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Joe G. and Tony K. were the NBC game-of-the-week crew on Saturdays for several years. It was a big deal; there was so little other baseball on TV. When Costas took over for Joe G., I didn’t like it as much.

• unca_chuck said, on March 23, 2016 at 5:28 pm

What I couldn’t stand was that the Giants were rarely ever the game of the week.

East coast bias even way back when . . .

21. sandog said, on March 23, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Thanks fellas for the kind words on the passing of my dad. He had a long list of serous medical issues and somehow made it to 93 while still staying pretty darn sharp mentally. Passed away peacefully at home, so, all things considered, a pretty good run.
    He was not much of a sports fan, but he knew how much I loved baseball especially and was a great sport about occasionally taking me to Giants, A’s and Warrior games growing up. He grew up in the post depression years and really valued hard work and getting things done more than hobbies or games. As he got older and more limited physically, he liked watching some football on TV. He loved the way Ben Roethlisberger played QB with such toughness and really enjoyed Cris Collinsworth as an announcer.
    I’ve told the story on here before when we were given box seats for a Giants game once and he insisted we dress up for the game as that was the way you did it when you sat in those seats–instead of the bleachers where we usually sat. Of course we were way overdressed, but we did have great seats to watch Jerry Reuss no-hit the Giants…..
    Rest in peace Dad–you were a great one!

• Flavor said, on March 23, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I forgot about that *overdressed* game. Classic. This is a great example of why having phones and cameras at everything you do is not always a good thing. Instead of seeing a pic of you guys overdressed at the game we can use our imagination and that pic in my mind right now is 10 times better than anything you could have snapped that day…….

22. snarkk said, on March 23, 2016 at 10:10 pm

My condolences to you, ‘Dawg…

23. snarkk said, on March 23, 2016 at 10:12 pm

I’m not concerned, overly, about the starters. Yet.
    If they do this crap the first two weeks of the season, then it’s time to be concerned.
    I’m still predicting at least one minor league starter is going to show himself a lot this season with the big club. Too many uncertainties with the vet starters for that NOT to happen…