Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Baseball is Almost Here

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 2, 2016

Now that you’ve been properly bamboozled by my mad April Uno skills, it’s time to get back to baseball.

AJ Pollock should probably be glad he got hurt yesterday. That elbow was going to give way soon enough, might as well be now as opposed to mid year. You have to wonder about the medical advice he was getting. It was bothering him all spring and all he did yesterday was try to push himself up off the ground next to home plate and it snapped. At least this way he can make it back for the end of the year playoff push that the D-backs won’t be having…….

Smarge and Peavy showing that AZ pitching lines mean nothing……

Let’s go, ready for real baseball to start!

1. willedav said, on April 2, 2016 at 8:08 am

Warriors got what they deserved as they didn’t play well but had a good look to send game into OT.
    Celts match up well, knocked down tough shots and hit boards well. Their perimeter D from Gs was great but Warriors made too many dumb turnovers including 2 costly ones late by Rush and Green.

None of other good teams in West can play like Celts tho and put 2 good defenders on Thompson and Curry–SA Clips and OKC guards are more offensive oriented.

2 series/7 games with LA in first 2 weeks, should be fun start to the season.

• Macdog said, on April 2, 2016 at 10:50 am

Boston will get the Nets’ top draft pick in what may turn out to be one of the worst trades ever, so the C’s likely are only going to get better.

2. snarkk said, on April 2, 2016 at 11:56 am

Pretty big loss for the Dbacks, that could be a season ender for Pollock. I was thinking Dbacks could end #2 behind SF in the West, now this throws a monkey wrench into their lineup…

3. snarkk said, on April 2, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Dubs loss could be a good thing. They usually get fired up and start playing better after a loss. Seems to me they’re getting stale and tired, too many games. Bogut is out now for a few with what seems like a once a year rib deal. But, Ezeli should be back. When Iggy gets back, he’ll be a jolt to better overall D…

4. zumiee said, on April 2, 2016 at 12:50 pm

The Giants game is of interest today in regards to how Cain looks.

5. zumiee said, on April 2, 2016 at 12:53 pm

A’s broadcasters today; yuck.

6. zumiee said, on April 2, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Cain’s fastball in the first inning was mostly 90-91. If he can maintain that, it’s a good sign.

7. zumiee said, on April 2, 2016 at 1:46 pm

They’re talking to Sonny Gray on the dreaded in-game interview. As if he’ll still be on the A’s at the end of this season.

8. zumiee said, on April 2, 2016 at 1:59 pm

2 unearned runs against Cain; Span dropped a flyball. A’s have a very tough sun-field.

• snarkk said, on April 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Span’s been underwhelming, but they haven’t played him much. Looks like his wheels are good, so that’s a plus…

9. snarkk said, on April 2, 2016 at 2:01 pm

I commented the other day on a story I heard from a woman Giants fan who goes down every year to ST. How she’s seen Cain diss fans on more than one occasion the last few springs. Corroborated the other day on KNBR. At the Giants luncheon, Affeldt was MCing and joking around, and he saw a woman up front wearing a Cain uni, and yelled over to Cain something like “hey Matt, how about an autograph for this lady’s Cain uni? Cain immediately boomed out a “NO!”. Which went over with the crowd apparently like a lead balloon, and Affeldt stumbled to move on. Then, the KNBR morning crew chuckled over that story and said something like, “well, sounds like our usual success with Matt when we’re in Scottsdale, but let’s not get into that”. Sounds like a fairly poorly kept secret is Cain is a bit of a prick. Since he’s been stealing his salary since 2013, at least he could lighten up with fans…

10. snarkk said, on April 2, 2016 at 2:12 pm

My 2016 NL West prediction:

1. Giants 93 wins. On paper, they should win the division.
    2. Dbacks. 88 wins. Even w/Pollock out, I like their hitting, and starting rotation really upgraded.
    3. Doghairs. 86 wins. Too much turmoil, too many LHPs in the rotation.
    4. Pads. 76 wins. Maybe they’ll get Timmy.
    5. Rockies. 73 wins. I’ll let blade rip them…

• zumiee said, on April 2, 2016 at 2:43 pm

I agree with all that, except I think the Dodgers will finish second, D-Backs third.

11. zumiee said, on April 2, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Cain: 5 innings, 88 pitches, 2 hits, 1 ER.
    Good outing.

• snarkk said, on April 2, 2016 at 2:54 pm

If he can give the team 180 innings and an ERA around 4.5, whip of 1.30, that would be OK as a #5. If you forget the $20 million, that is. And, next season’s $20 million. Not sure if we’re calling him a #4 or #5, but I’ll call him the #5 until he proves otherwise. I’ll be very surprised if he ends up with an ERA that is below 5 …

12. Macdog said, on April 2, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Who’s this bum shutting down the Giants today? 😉

• snarkk said, on April 2, 2016 at 3:00 pm

I think the guys are ready to hit the airplane and take off to Milwaukee. ST is done. These 3 Bay Bridge games really are nearly worthless…

13. Flavor said, on April 2, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Not down Broadway…..IN the time it took me to drive from the store to my house, Mike Broadway walked the bases loaded. Not sure what happened after that…….

• snarkk said, on April 2, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Pop up (I think) and a double play grounder. No runs…

14. snarkk said, on April 2, 2016 at 3:05 pm

So, Flemm is calling the Tampa v. Blue Jays opener tomorrow in Tampa on ESPN? Anybody have a clue what he would make calling that game? $15K to call one game, or he must have an ESPN deal that allows him to announce most of the Giants’ season. Seems a little crazy to me — fly SF to Tampa for a day, then Tampa to Milwaukee?…

• Flavor said, on April 2, 2016 at 3:58 pm

he seems hell bent on advancing his career. And that’s fine, I’d never tell a man to stop working hard, to stop having goals, take care of his family, etc. The problem is, it looked to me like he had all that already. But what do I know?

15. pawliekokonuts said, on April 2, 2016 at 3:10 pm

I pretty much ignore ST ‘cept for injuries. Now I’m getting interested in Real Baseball!

Magnus, if you escape WordPress just let us know where to Flapper flock, for flock’s sake!

Go, ‘Cuse!

16. snarkk said, on April 2, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Osich hasn’t been that great in Spring. Getting roughed up today…

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 2, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Been noticing that lately he has not had a single decent outing. I give him no more than 3-5 weeks into the season to clean it up. Plenty of good arms in the pipeline. Can’t call up Surkamp, though.

17. pawliekokonuts said, on April 2, 2016 at 3:32 pm

I looked at ESPN’s predictions, by a few dozen of their peeps. Means next to nothing to me. Rather surprised at how few picked the Dodgers. Giants got a share of respect. The Cubs were the faves. I certainly have a soft spot for them as lovable underdogs, but somehow I don’t see it. not sure why either. Similarly, not feeling it as automatic for the Mets. Watch out for the Pirates. And Cards. Why did so many pick the Indians? Anyway, none of the predictions mean a thing. We know that from sweet experience, Flappers.

• zumiee said, on April 2, 2016 at 3:36 pm

The Indians have some really good starting pitchers.

• zumiee said, on April 2, 2016 at 3:39 pm

The Cubs are becoming less lovable, IMO, with their cock-of-the-walk attitude. It reminds me of Harper at the beginning of last season: “Where’s my ring?”

• snarkk said, on April 2, 2016 at 3:46 pm

An NLCS with Dusty’s Nats v. the Giants would be way cool. I’d bet on the Nats there before the Cubs — and the fact that tons of ESPN “experts” pick the Cubs tells me they’re unlikely to win the pennant. NL Central will be brutal again…

18. zumiee said, on April 2, 2016 at 3:32 pm

OOO hit an HR.
    Hmmm…..

• Macdog said, on April 2, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Off someone named Ryan Dull — could there be a more apt name for an A’s player?

• snarkk said, on April 2, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Can a urine test be far behind?…

19. wilcojoe said, on April 2, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Can someone explain why the Cubs and Angels are playing an exhibition game tomorrow and then open the season the following day? I noticed that there are three other games (that count) tomorrow as well.

So you mean to tell me fans are going to pay to see the Angels host the Cubs tomorrow in a game that doesn’t count and then they do the same thing the next day and it does count? Unreal!

20. wilcojoe said, on April 2, 2016 at 5:36 pm

I see Overstock opted out of their naming rights deal less than 48 hours before the A’s Home Opener. Effective immediately it will be the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum again. Geez, any takers on a new sponsor?

• snarkk said, on April 2, 2016 at 6:16 pm

How about an outfit from Houston — the Waste Management Dumpiseum…

• wilcojoe said, on April 2, 2016 at 6:30 pm

There you go. Plus WM’s color are green and yellow. It was meant to be!

• xoot said, on April 2, 2016 at 6:38 pm

I could see the WM E Coli. But WM and the City of Oakland don’t zackly get along, so . . . .

• xoot said, on April 2, 2016 at 6:29 pm

It’ll always be the E Coli to me.

21. wilcojoe said, on April 2, 2016 at 6:49 pm

I am surprised the NCAA decided to come back to Houston for the Final Four. The last time they held it here, I scored two tickets (upper levels) for the semifinal and final games for about $50 a piece the day of the first games. There were so few people there that they were encouraging people in the upper levels to sit in the lower, court side seats to make it look full on TV. My buddy and I sat midcourt about 30 rows up.

If you notice on the telecast, the upper levels of the stadium are nearly blacked out, as if they turned the lights off. I would bet dollars to donuts that CBS has intentionally darkened that portion of the screen shot, so as not to show a half empty stadium. Check it out and you will see what I mean.

22. xoot said, on April 2, 2016 at 7:34 pm

N Carolina’s ability to fire short fast-ball passes into their big guys in the paint seems like a difference maker to me.

23. unca_chuck said, on April 2, 2016 at 7:42 pm

I had completely forgotten the tournament was still going on.

WTF with the 10 day layoff?

24. djloo27 said, on April 2, 2016 at 7:59 pm

I don’t care how classless it sounds. Pollock’s injury is great for the Giants.

• Macdog said, on April 2, 2016 at 8:14 pm

But not my fantasy team.

• Flavor said, on April 2, 2016 at 8:36 pm

this doesn’t happen in daily. Come join the dark side and send season-ending injuries out of your life. FOREVER! Muhuhuhuahahahaha!!!!!!

• Macdog said, on April 2, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Haha, yeah, still clinging to that. I’m defending champ, so I have no choice.

25. pawliekokonuts said, on April 2, 2016 at 8:23 pm

NC just too good for ‘Cuse. Geez, I didn’t expect ‘Nova to maul Okla. to smithereens.

26. Flavor said, on April 3, 2016 at 8:53 am

a newer, more exciting thread has arrived.