2016 Is Finally Upon Us

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 3, 2016

Baseball is back, baby! And while I don’t care about any of the teams playing today and probably won’t watch any of it, I couldn’t be more stoked.

There is something missing in my life when there’s no ballgame to be had. I try to trick myself with NFL or NBA and the daily fantasy games associated with such. Horse racing and golf are two polar opposite sports that will always have my attention. But….

Baseball, man. It’s all I ever need.

After I’m dead, have someone scribble that on my tombstone……

1. John Gibbons said, on April 3, 2016 at 9:41 am

Know what you are saying. Ready for some Giants baseball here .

2. Bozo said, on April 3, 2016 at 9:56 am

“And that’s the only thing I need is *this*. I don’t need this or this. Just this ashtray… And this paddle game. – The ashtray and the paddle game and that’s all I need… And this remote control. – The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that’s all I need… And these matches. – The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball… And this lamp. – The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that’s all *I* need. And that’s *all* I need too. I don’t need one other thing, not one… I need this. – The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I’m some kind of a jerk or something! – And this. That’s all I need. ”

Play Ball!

• Flavor said, on April 3, 2016 at 10:14 am

I’m not gonna lie Clown, this post was a wild ride!

• Bozo said, on April 3, 2016 at 10:42 am

I stole it from the Steve Martin movie, The Jerk, a true classic.

• eddacker said, on April 3, 2016 at 10:47 am

Had to make a “Jerk” reference to the new optometrist gal yesterday. Opti Grab
      Classic Movie, really! So many laughs.
      And she had never even heard of Steve Martin. So I told her to find and watch the movie.
      Where does the time go?

3. willedav said, on April 3, 2016 at 10:01 am

Cards Pirates a great opening day match up. Love for one of them to take down Cubs. Shea in his preview of NL today mentions Pirates have lost the WC one game play in eac of last 2 yrs to Giants and Cubs.
    Supposed to be high temp low 40s back there. K and K were joking it will be even colder in Milwaukee but roof will be closed

So NC won the cheat bowl last night and unless Nova channels Rollie’s team again by shooting lights out, they likely win it. Boeheim is a good coach and shows what you can do with a tough zone D, but his program sucks and he shouldn’t talk about it if he can’t do any better than the Sgt. Schultz defense.

4. Bozo said, on April 3, 2016 at 10:44 am

I hope every team that has their home opener at night, comes in dead last.

• eddacker said, on April 3, 2016 at 10:48 am

Night games and the DH.
      Shivers
      A goose just walked over my grave.

5. eddacker said, on April 3, 2016 at 10:52 am

Excellent line for the grave. I can see your eulogy now – a line of lovely ladies: “I wanted him, we all wanted him, but all he needed was baseball.” As the speaker breaks down in tears.

Long live baseball and long live Sir Flavor!

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 3, 2016 at 1:24 pm

my epitaph should be: Could’ve been worse.

• xoot said, on April 3, 2016 at 1:31 pm

That’s really good.

• djloo27 said, on April 3, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Mine too, Pawlie. And on the flip side I’d go with “Should’ve been better”

6. snarkk said, on April 3, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Jason Stark and Buster Olney pick SF to win the division. Stark picks SF to win the pennant (but Toronto to win the WSeries). I always have liked Stark — he gets and respects the Giants. Only 2 of 20 something ESPN “experts” picked the Giants to win the WSeries, about 15 picked the Cubs. I take that as a very good sign for SF…

7. pawliekokonuts said, on April 3, 2016 at 12:56 pm

“Play baw!” as umps like to shout.

8. snarkk said, on April 3, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Giants open tomorrow — another season of ball. Without ball, for me life seems somehow out of whack, unbalanced, the earth is off its axis a bit. I could easily do without football, basketball, hockey, whatever. For the next 6 months at least, things are as they should be…

9. Carstie Clausen said, on April 3, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Wow! It has come down to overnight and a matter of hours and then its ‘season on’ for the even year Giants. No significant injuries, bad owwies or even nasty head-colds heading into the start with the Brewhahas. Our lineup is loaded and once escaped from the flatballing desert, the Rotation seems to be sliding into place. What’s not to like?

• snarkk said, on April 3, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Buster has the flu…

10. willedav said, on April 3, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Trivia answer to ? of who hit the first HR this season: Tulo, pride of Fremont HS in Sunnyvale..
    Jays SP Stroman looked really good in comeback.

11. xoot said, on April 3, 2016 at 5:39 pm

A commercial leading into the first Sunday Night Baseball game of the season just featured the KARS 4 KIDS song. The end is near.

• snarkk said, on April 3, 2016 at 6:05 pm

Plenty of online reports of K4K being a ripoff — the vacation voucher is a time share scam. Most of the dough seems to go to one guy who is under investigation in multiple states…

• xoot said, on April 3, 2016 at 6:18 pm

Last time I donated a car (eventually to a PBS deal) I researched Kars4 and learned that insofar as it does send money to kids, it does so through a fairly small Jewish organization (Oorah) that benefits only Jewish kids. Nothing against those Jewish kids. Some of my best friends used to be Jewish kids. But glossing over the limited reach of the donation’s impact is too much deception for me. And Lisle, of course, was right last year. The song is one of the worst things ever recorded. Who knew music could be so bad?

• snarkk said, on April 3, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Eli Mintz is the name of the guy in charge of the cash and target of being investigated. If you’re a Gentile’s kid, you don’t get squat, as in Bupkis for Kids. The commercials strangely neglect to say that…

• djloo27 said, on April 3, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I recommend donating your car to The Heritage For The Blind.
        You’ll always get more money for it because they can’t see what kind of crappy shape the car is in.
        Just tell ’em it’s in mint condition. How are they gonna know?

• xoot said, on April 3, 2016 at 7:47 pm

There’s a guy who sits outside my local Safeway collecting for the Irish Drug and Alcohol Fund. He said thanks, but cash only, please.

12. gianthead said, on April 3, 2016 at 6:12 pm

I can smell opening day in the air…but may just be my allergies….

13. xoot said, on April 3, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Cespedes starts his season with a glaringly bad, negligent error in LF.

14. zumiee said, on April 3, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Stat from the Sunday Night game: since 1973, the batter with the lowest batting average on opening day (min. 25 ABs) is Pence, .038.

15. wilcojoe said, on April 3, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Hey Flav, am I losing it or did FanDuel completely overhaul their scoring system for baseball?

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2016 at 5:14 am

they changed it. For no good reason. I think they think more scoring is a better draw for players. It’s stupid.

16. zumiee said, on April 3, 2016 at 7:13 pm

If I was a Mets fan, Wright’s soft throws would drive me crazy. He’s a gamer, but physically hampered.

• djloo27 said, on April 3, 2016 at 7:24 pm

He also looks fat, but I say that about almost everyone…

17. wilcojoe said, on April 3, 2016 at 7:18 pm

I didn’t care for the girl in the booth to begin with, her wearing a Dodger hat a little while ago only made me dislike her more.

• zumiee said, on April 3, 2016 at 7:41 pm

ESPN’s decision to drop Miller from Sun. night is still baffling to me.

• xoot said, on April 3, 2016 at 7:58 pm

They fired Joe Morgan first and probably made some half assed proposal to Miller that he couldn’t tolerate. It’d be interesting to know the details, but the result is more Jon Miller for Giants games, so wtf.

• djloo27 said, on April 3, 2016 at 8:03 pm

I love Miller, but listening to him late at night on the east coast works better than warm milk and a Sominex…

• snarkk said, on April 3, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Try listening to the A’s broadcasts — that’s like taking propofol (think Michael Jackson’s OD)…

• djloo27 said, on April 3, 2016 at 7:42 pm

I can’t stand her. Her commentary is so disjointed. She takes forever to make a point. It’s like the oral version of an old game I had called “Mouse Trap”:

18. willedav said, on April 3, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Entertaining game with warriors and blazers, up and down fast pace. GS puts 135 up on them Curry (8 or 9 3s can’t remember) with 39 Lillard 38 of his own.

I’ve always liked Sutcliffe and I thought he was best color guy.
    Yeah Mendoza line way below average.

19. zumiee said, on April 3, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Harvey reminds me of a young Matt Cain, including the low run support.

20. djloo27 said, on April 3, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Bartolo Colon looks like something that should be rotating on a spit…

• zumiee said, on April 3, 2016 at 7:56 pm

He’s a big load.

21. Macdog said, on April 3, 2016 at 8:04 pm

What’s up with that goofy looking caricature of Buster (and other players) behind the announcers?

22. xoot said, on April 3, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Apropos of nothing, or maybe it follows the Safeway memory, yesterday afternoon I stopped to buy some beer in the Oakland hills and as I walked down the bread aisle I came face to face with Glenn Dickey. He was pushing a grocery cart behind a white haired woman who moved a lot more quickly than he did. His weird white Amish beard seemed even stranger with a huge loose turkey neck under it. His eyes were blank. He had a small plastic bag full of m&ms in one hand that he continually dipped into so he could munch, cud-like, while he followed orders. Ten years ago I probably would’ve found a way to tell him ironically how much I dislike his writing. Yesterday he looked like a sad old man who dislikes it, too.

• zumiee said, on April 3, 2016 at 9:14 pm

I never liked his writing, but you made me feel sorry for him.

• djloo27 said, on April 3, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Sounds like an okay day to me. Who doesn’t like m & ms?

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2016 at 5:09 am

wow, this almost made me feel sorry for him. Great post tho

23. James said, on April 3, 2016 at 8:25 pm

There’s a new Mendoza Line . . .

24. pawliekokonuts said, on April 3, 2016 at 8:31 pm

Loo is hitting the ball outta the park in this warmup.

25. pawliekokonuts said, on April 3, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Have I missed the talk here of Sandoval being benched in Boston, or is it merely of no consequence to us?

• zumiee said, on April 3, 2016 at 9:16 pm

We talked about it quite a bit one day. You must have missed it.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 3, 2016 at 9:19 pm

ah

• zumiee said, on April 3, 2016 at 9:24 pm

If Pablo takes it as a wake-up call, he might salvage his season. But as we all know, it gets harder to lose weight the older you get.

26. djloo27 said, on April 3, 2016 at 9:30 pm

When I was a kid my older sister told me the Beatle song “Carry That Weight” was about fat people.

• zumiee said, on April 3, 2016 at 9:36 pm

You were listening to great music. A far cry from the crap kids listen to today.

• xoot said, on April 3, 2016 at 9:45 pm