Baseball. Back. Baby.

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 4, 2016

Really intrigued to see how Bumgarner does today. Vegas seems to be a bit skeptical too as the total is 7.5 (a little high for a MadBum start) and the Brewers are +157 to win. With Peralta going against a stud like Bum I would have expected them to be at least +220 to win. Even with them being at home.

But Bum sucked this spring as he tried to shake off two mysterious aches. Pitching isn’t like riding a tractor and I hope he isn’t trying to soldier-thru one or two actual injuries. I guess we’ll find out today.

Season predictions hold no interest for me anymore. Anyone can blabber out who they think will win the divisions but teams change dramatically over the course of the season and unless you put $$$$ down on it does anyone care if you’re right?

It’s great to see Loo and his tiny url’s back at it again. This morning, while making coffee in the dark, I wondered quietly to myself who was taller, Loo or his tiny url’s…..

James is back, too. Probably got stuck in a winter-long line at Costco trying to purchase bulk loads of plastic wrap. Who knows, he might actually need it this year.

Well Flappers, we’ve managed to sludge our way through another winter. No BBOTD’s, only a few haiku’s. The important thing is that we broke on through to the other side. I’ve opened back up the Eastern and Western arms of Flavor Industries. I’m looking for a few good latex salesmen.

The sun will be rising soon. It’s supposed to get near 90 here this week before temps plunge back down. A nice reminder that Summer is on it’s way and our favorite sport starts today to guide through the heat, the fresh cut grass, the bikini clad Flapperettes and all the rest of the radness that comes with this time of year…….

1. Carstie Clausen said, on April 4, 2016 at 6:10 am

Ah, we’re back to basics. Step one: Win today. Will Bumgarner magically pull a rabbit out of a hat and show that he’s back to being Mad-Bum? Likely to be cool temps in Milwaukee, as it won’t get out of the 30’s here in the Northwoods of Minnesota. Seems that one of those Polar inversions dumped down on the country’s midsection. The cool conditions could be helpful for our big lefty.

2. Paul Sorensen said, on April 4, 2016 at 6:36 am

I liked Tom’s post yesterday about everything just seeming …. normal, or right…. while baseball is being played. Every morning during the season, it’s just the natural order of things, along with making coffee, to get online and check the baseball summaries and scores. When it’s not baseball season, there’s just no such inclination to do so for any other *sport*. Probably because for most of us, baseball isn’t just a sport, it’s a microcosm of life. During my decade or so in Boston in the ’80s, opening day at Fenway was THE first day of Spring, even though the vernal equinox had already happened, and even if they still had to plow snow off of the outfield grass before first pitch. Opening Day wasn’t just fun, it was necessary for survival after those godawfully long winters. Somewhere I still have pics of me and the girlfriend at that time huddled up in the seats behind home plate in winter coats, scarves, and hats, but also wearing warm smiles of life reborn.

I arrived back in the US on Friday, leaving the tropics of Vietnam for early April in New Jersey, often quite the cruel month. Friday was almost 80 degrees, imagine my surprise. Saturday was ok. Yesterday was f-ing freezing with high winds and ice covering the back deck. Today is quite chilly as well, and yet…. baseball has begun, so it’s all good. Can’t wait to hit the Bay Area in just over a week from now, need to catch me some Giants before heading back to Asia…. Enjoy these days, Flapper Universe!

3. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2016 at 7:34 am

“The new phone book is here! The new phone book is here!”

Sorry, just catching up!

I see DJ is in mid-season form after his usual recharge sesh in Fla.

• Bozo said, on April 4, 2016 at 10:57 am

” First I get my name in the phone book and now I’m on your ass. You know, I’ll bet more people see that than the phone book. “

4. willedav said, on April 4, 2016 at 7:38 am

Saw line yesterday that Culberson made the Dodgers. This morning AP story lists 10 of them on DL, including:
    Grandal Kendrick Bolsinger Ethier Ryu Alex Guerrero; Anderson and McCarthy on the 60 day.
    7 games coming up next 2 weeks would be opportunity to put them behind from get go.

5. willedav said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:04 am

Giants in first month play 17 games vs. NL West, 11 of which are at home.
    Last year vs. West:
    SF 38-38 losing record 8-11 vs. AZ and Colo
    LA 46-30, won 13 vs. AZ 14 vs. SD 11 vs. Colo
    90 Ws to get in NL WC last year.

Time to turn that noise around. Pads and Rox should both suck, AZ just lost one of best players for the year.

6. Carstie Clausen said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:05 am

Three hours, five minutes and counting. After today it’s 161 regular season games to go. Ahhhhh.

7. snarkk said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:13 am

Go Giants 2016!…

8. wilcojoe said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:17 am

Bum has serious double digit strikeout potential today. That Brewers lineup is like the Astros circa 2013. Jonathan Villar and Chris Carter? Really? If he doesn’t perform well, be afraid, be very afraid.

9. alleykat69 said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:24 am

Like the LU today with the Undertaker hitting 8th, Pagan slides to 9th so basically 2 lead off hitters back to back.
    Bring it on!! Giants Baseball is ready to rock&roll!!

10. willedav said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:25 am

Strange play in game yesterday btw Toronto and Tampa.
    Rays are down 3-1, 6th inning I think, 2 outs Kiermaier kid (8th place hitter) on 2b.
    Hank Conger LH batting 9th is up. With 3-2 count Kiermaier takes off on pitch, which is ball 4 so Conger gets a walk but…Russell Martin throws out the kid at 3b, inning over.

Announcers were of course all over the guy–not to make last out at 3b, down 2 runs, top of order coming up, LH means C has clear view of play yada yada. Billy Martin I’m sure would’ve cut the guy on the spot.
    didn’t he do that to Shooty Babbitt?

11. Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 9:22 am

For those outside the Bay Area, Giants-Brewers is MLB.tv free game of the day.

• wilcojoe said, on April 4, 2016 at 9:37 am

Yeah the MLB Extra Innings package is free all week as well.

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2016 at 10:02 am

I’m staying away from Bum today mostly because I think he’s going to be very highly owned (at least at DK and possibly FD too) and I’m still sketching a little on his health/mechanics etc. We’ll see. I think Scherzer is probably far safer (albeit more expensive)

• ewisco said, on April 4, 2016 at 9:41 am

nice! we’re down in san dawg’s neck of the woods at the del Coronado. room looks right out at the beach. left the door open all night to listen to the surf. either a bloody or an umbrella drink is in my future.

12. Bozo said, on April 4, 2016 at 10:11 am

Happy New Year!

Damn, I’m fired up. Giants baseball – Polish dogs at the ready, Sierras on ice, maybe a sip or two off the jar and djloo is back. Sorry loo, but I’m stealing this one “Bartolo Colon looks like something that should be rotating on a spit…”

13. Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 10:13 am

The Opening Day lineup:

Span CF

Panik 2B

Posey C

Pence RF

Belt 1B

Duffy 3B

Crawford SS

Bumgarner LHP

Pagan LF

The Pav tweet had a /DH after Bum’s LHP, haha.

14. Flavor said, on April 4, 2016 at 10:17 am

Alex Pavlovic ‏@AlexPavlovic 1m1 minute ago
    PREGAME NOTES: Bumgarner dealing with the flu; Pence’s original scooter stolen again; More on the helmet change: http://bit.ly/1TwsxtY

Wilco, what’s he owned at FD?

• wilcojoe said, on April 4, 2016 at 11:03 am

Only 5.9%. I am quite surprised by that myself.

15. Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 10:26 am

I was surprised to see the Yanks game was postponed because it’s in the 60s about 80 miles south of NYC where I am, but we’re supposed to get hit with rain later on.

16. pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 11:16 am

26 degrees F with snow showers in Syracuse (home of the NCAA title game women’s team and UConn’s Breanna Stewart).

It will be intriguing to see how Posey and Bum, the FluBoyz, do. I can recall a few no-hitters in history where the pitcher said he had the flu and felt like shit.

Wow. We made it through winter. Though it’s back, where I am. I however abdicated the right to complain about winter after I trekked to Iceland. (Speaking of tiny URLs, here’s the e-book, at $4.79: http://amzn.to/1LXx0yP )

Magnus, thanks for the Flap, with or without latex.

17. wilcojoe said, on April 4, 2016 at 11:23 am

Pretty sure I just saw Peter Magowan sitting next to Larry Baer.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 11:35 am

I’ll bet Magowan was impeccably dressed.

18. wilcojoe said, on April 4, 2016 at 11:30 am

This isn’t good.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 11:35 am

dat’s a lot of balls, I mean pitches

19. gianthead said, on April 4, 2016 at 11:32 am

ok taking Bum in Fan Duel may not have been wise…but will take that DP

20. Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 11:38 am

Duffman yay!

Duffman WTF?

21. Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 11:47 am

The one time MadBum doesn’t throw a ball.

22. zumiee said, on April 4, 2016 at 11:57 am

Pawlie, I’m looking forward to reading your new book on my Kindle.
    The book has a beautiful photo on the cover. Great choice for a cover.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:08 pm

thanks so much, zumie…taken at thingviller. continental rift, where i really did get lost!

23. zumiee said, on April 4, 2016 at 11:58 am

Bum’s at 49 pitches after two innings.

24. Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Span the Man!

25. gianthead said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:04 pm

let the record show I was a proponent of a hitting Blanco in the 9th spot last year and the pitcher in the 8th hole. I hope they 0keep trying it…

26. zumiee said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Pagan with some 9th-spot magic. I’m not totally sold on the concept, but it worked that time.

27. zumiee said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:11 pm

The conga-line is off to a good start!

28. Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:37 pm

MadBum’s probably not getting this run support next time out.

29. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:37 pm

MLB audio is free. Just for today? Very good though. . . .

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Yeah, I buy the audio package every year. 20 bucks or whatever it is guarantees you access to all the Giant’s games.

• unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Yeah, just about worth it for the few day games in the sched.

30. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:41 pm

WOO HOO – Baseball is back, baby! A bit rough going for Bum, but WTF, he has the lead, now just hang onto it!

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. Green Fields of the Mind ~ A. Bart Giamatti

Four in Seven! Humm Baby – Let’s Do It Again!

31. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Can Bum weather through five innings to be set-up for the win? Damn – 71 pitches through 3.

32. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Crazy Horse – mowing ’em down!

WTF…I thought that old fuck retired, Kevin!

33. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Angel!

34. wilcojoe said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Kruk-“That was the best ten hopper I ever saw”
    Yes it was!

35. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Stay hot Brandon . . .

36. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Woooo! Duffmeister!!!!

37. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:58 pm

DuffMan!

38. Bozo said, on April 4, 2016 at 12:59 pm

He got all of that one.

39. Bozo said, on April 4, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Just saw a number 40 jersey with the name Snotrockets on it.

40. alleykat69 said, on April 4, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Damm the Duffster’s on a pace for 640 RBI’s!!
    So does the SnotRocket jersey come with built in Snot Drop Pockets?

41. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Come on, Kontos. Craig Counsell is Milwaukee’s manager?

42. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Duffster having a dayl.

43. Bozo said, on April 4, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Man, Gearrin takes the mound looking extremely pissed off. Talk about a game face.

44. Irish Kevin said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:06 pm

I will be happy to let the offense win games this early in the season.

45. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Span! Bommerooski!

46. Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:07 pm

SPAN THE MAN!!!

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:08 pm

copyright that…love it

47. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:09 pm

back to back to back!

48. Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Panik time!

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:09 pm

sheeesh!

49. pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:09 pm

just to elevate the game chatter: how about dem tits behind home plate?!

• Irish Kevin said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Now you have me looking!

• Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Haha, saw that too.

50. Irish Kevin said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Holy smoke!! Or smoked

51. Bozo said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Wow, I guess we’ll be scoring some runs this year.

52. Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Buster bomb!

53. Bozo said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Back to back to back – Yee Haw.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:14 pm

my streaming froze…missed the Panik and Posey bombs….no, nothing to do with urology or the tits behind home plate

54. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Man, I knew looking at our line-up that this team would score some runs, but, but, but…

Holy smokes!

Open a can of whoop ass? Nah, open a 55 gallon drum, thank you!

55. alleykat69 said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Damm I hate working!
    I’m missing those tits!!

56. Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:37 pm

From .000 to 1.000.

57. Bozo said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:43 pm

I’m not sure if its a good sign or not, but all those fans behind home wearing hunting gear, have left.

58. Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:47 pm

1-0!

59. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Ballgame!

4 homers!

60. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2016 at 2:52 pm

12 runs on 15 hits. Four bombs! Yeah baby!

61. snarkk said, on April 4, 2016 at 4:19 pm

It’s early, but maybe SF won’t have trouble scoring this year… 🙂

62. Paul Sorensen said, on April 4, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Wire to wire, baby….. 🙂

63. Paul Sorensen said, on April 4, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Only one game, but Span looks good in a Giants uniform…

64. Carstie Clausen said, on April 4, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Though Wily Peralta and at least one of their relievers did not closely resemble Warren Spahn on the mound for Milwaukee and although that pair may have been one of the less formidable starter/reliever combos the team will face this season; today’s fireworks gives us a strong hint of the kind of offensive legerdemain that opponents must deal with in this even year.

As many of us have pointed out since late last season, before the return of Pence and the arrival of Span; this lineup is locked and loaded for bear and may only occasionally show one significant area of weakness, the 8-hole in games when Bumgarner is not on the mound. When your leadoff man leads the league in RBI’s and your #9 hitter is a stolen base threat; we are not exactly contemplating the 2008 Giants. The power is there, but it is dispersed through much of the lineup. The team OBP could possibly set an SF record this
    season. More than one Flapper has showed dismay that #9 is not your typically high-power first-sacker. Judging from his performance in game one, we could be looking at the league-leader in doubles, though.

On the mound our Ace was suffering from the flu and pretty hung-over from a miserable ST in Aridzona. But despite all of that he was able to hang on in there and garner his first win of the season. With the firing squad he’s got behind him, Senor Snotrockets may not get stuck at a ‘mere’ 18 victories this go-round. He might even get nineteen. Seriously, barring injury or such, the big lefty from Bumtown, Carolina looks to be a good bet to break that magic 20 win plateau ~ a rare feat anymore in these days of specialty relievers by the gross.

Scouting and development people must be sharing a few high-fives with the addition of Cory Gearrin to the bullpen. Though he currently is the 13th arm on the staff, one never knows about injuries and such enabling him to be a longer-term keeper. To top off a good spring, he and the rest of the bullies pretty much put on a clinic today.

Will this team win 99 more regular season games and, as Paul suggests, go wire to wire? For full confirmation ask me a couple weeks after i turn 72. This year could be one for the books.

65. Flavor said, on April 4, 2016 at 6:23 pm

well, I missed the game and the tits but I caught enough of it on my ph to feel like I saw the game. Plus, I caught the re-cap after the game on KNBR and they played all the highlights. Bombs away. Still worried about Bum but that’s cause I gotta worry about something……

66. Flavor said, on April 4, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Dodger blogger demanding action…
    Bishop 23 minutes ago 0 7
    Glad to see the Dodgers winning but it’s horrible socal fans can’t watch the game on ESPN getting blacked out.
    Something needs to be done

67. Flavor said, on April 4, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Padres are a goddamn embarrassment. Nice to see them show literally no pride in this thrashing. And on opening day no less. If not today, when?

68. pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Opening Day is always weird in that it skews EVERYTHING. Win, you feel confident, trending toward 162 wins. Lose, you fear 0-162. But I like this team already.

69. sfsarge said, on April 4, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Just got home and I put the game on. In the first inning, the mortransit impressive thing was the rack behind home plate. It’s fun putting the action with the comments on the blog

• sfsarge said, on April 4, 2016 at 7:16 pm

*most impressive… I don’t know what mortransit is

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 7:18 pm

mortransit = sends your mind racing

leave it to me to spot that rack and fixate on it, Dr. Freud…

70. wilcojoe said, on April 4, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Greinke is getting hammered in the dessert.

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 4, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Getting his just desserts, becoming a LaBumbo and then shapechanging into a Snake.

71. wilcojoe said, on April 4, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Make that desert. Sorry, I have a sweet tooth.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 7:37 pm

he was throwing creampuffs

72. snarkk said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:05 pm

I missed a good win, and an even better rack, by all accounts. Speaking of, I’m in a brew pub with a pint of Faction RedRyder watching this basketball NC v Nova — my server is 5-8 dirty blonde sporting an all natural 36D set. Sheezus, I having trouble focusing on the game…

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:08 pm

i bet they’re on the verge of absolute mayhem. Like 2 cats fighting.

• snarkk said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:15 pm

She’s got a full-tatted left arm. Can’t decide if that’s a plus or minus. Probably a plus – she’s 25 going on nasty. Back to the game…

73. snarkk said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Can’t believe how many short hooks and flips that NC front line has missed in the low block in the last 5 minutes…

• snarkk said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:24 pm

BS call by ref at 36 seconds put Nova up; the NC guy stuffed the guard but ref called a foul, should have been steps or an off foul…

74. pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:24 pm

was that gaylord perry at the hoop game?

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:32 pm

oops, that was rollie massimino…

75. snarkk said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Looking at Jordan– I think he said ” give ME the damn ball”…

76. pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Paige Curryed it.

77. snarkk said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Clutch shot by that kid, NC let Nova advance the ball too easily. This Shows why college ball is better than NBA except Dubs games…

78. pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:33 pm

what a fecking finish! yoikes

79. wilcojoe said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Wow just wow!

80. Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Super ‘Nova!

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:36 pm

you write the best heds here….i know, i know, it’s your profession but still

• Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:37 pm

That one’s too easy, it’ll be the hed everywhere.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:39 pm

still love it

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:36 pm

i’ll be dying to see if the phil inquirer or daily news uses that

• Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 9:25 pm

It’s on A1 for the Cherry Hill Courier Post (across the river in NJ).

81. pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:41 pm

the ending truly captured the joy and heartbreak of sports in two seconds, or less

82. djloo27 said, on April 4, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Great start, but that park is a joke, especially with the roof closed…

83. xoot said, on April 4, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Watching the replay of the game tonight, I have to wonder wtf is up with Magowan? Dodger blue sweater over a pink shirt? The woman with the big tits however is impressive. She’s keeping score, pitch by pitch.

• Macdog said, on April 4, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Yeah, looked like she stayed to the end.

84. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Awwww come on, DJ. Without the roof the game is snowed out and we don’t get or epic win or Jugs McGee in the front row.

85. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Just checking the tape and Carter getting thrown out at 2nd on the ball in the dirt was a huge play. As was the melting rope by Pagan.

86. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Wow. Just got to the best part…..

Gotta love that.

87. xoot said, on April 4, 2016 at 10:26 pm

I ain’t no basketball maven, but I thought Villanova’s final play was good. The point guard brought the ball down as quickly as possible, drove toward the key as if toward the hoop, but then flipped back to the sharp shooter following right behind who had just a fraction of a second to beat both the D and the buzzer. And so he did.

88. snarkk said, on April 4, 2016 at 10:46 pm

If a few guys have the flu, what du you du? Give ’em facemasks? Keep them away from everybody else? Put them in cabs, not on the bus? Fly ’em on commercial? What?…

89. bassbaldy said, on April 5, 2016 at 6:14 am

Yawwwnn … streeeeetch!! … Hey Flap Nation! … Lisle here, de-hibernating and emerging from my “man-bear-pig” cave .. Missed y’all !! I finally procured a groovy monicker: ‘bassbaldy’ .. Whaddya think?

Wow, back to back to back yesterday and pretty much the antithesis from Bum with his 3bb. What an auspicious start … I’m feeling magic in the air!