Gritty Win

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 6, 2016

Nice, professional win yesterday. Casilla was dominant. The hitters were better than the 2 runs they produced.

****Breaking News***** Hunter Pence’s scooter has been recovered. I don’t know what type of scumbag steals from the make-a-wish foundation, but both criminals have been arrested and the scooter is back with the foundation. Mayor Ed Lee, always a whore for attention, called a news conference to announce the recovery. He was so excited.

The Padres continue their sleep walk through the season, still runless headed into the 3rd game of the season.

1. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2016 at 6:23 am

Padres may leave the Dodgers with a swollen head. But somehow they always manage to play the Giants hard and too frequently take a toll. Could be a lot of runs scored at Willie Mays Field in the first two games. Probably not too many in game 3. But no need to get away from ourselves with that early day contest in Milwaukee today. Time to keep up the momentum before heading home.

2. Paul Sorensen said, on April 6, 2016 at 6:48 am

Yeah, nice professional win. Nasty pitching from Cueto and Casilla. Loving how the new guys (Span, Cueto) are looking like Giants. Smarge today, hopefully more of the same. Loved that Cueto strike out of Braun and Braun just smiled and mouthed “nice pitch” as he walked back to the dugout. Also not minding one bit all the homeruns…. 🙂

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 6, 2016 at 6:55 am

Gotta agree. What the hell is wrong with people stealing from that organization? That Ed Lee sure is a piece of work. Was he personally involved in the investigation?

Nice win yesterday. A sweep to start the season would be nice.

• chipower9 said, on April 6, 2016 at 8:37 am

Dirt – you going to be at the yard, tomorrow? If so, let’s meet up and have a cold one. I am meeting Sarge tomorrow before the game. My daughter and I are in Club 232. Hope to see you if you will be at the game!

4. Bozo said, on April 6, 2016 at 7:21 am

Today could get interesting quick. The Shark has had a rough time at Millerbeer Park in the past and I read where Boch might give Posey the day off. I also read that he might strengthen our bench today by starting Ehire or Specs

• willedav said, on April 6, 2016 at 7:36 am

Yeah some of the Bochy getaway day LUs are head scratchers tho things often turn out better than you might think.
      I thought Brown was going to mostly C Peavy, but if Posey sits today (day game after night) then maybe not.

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2016 at 8:15 am

On the Giants broadcast, they mentioned Buster’s not 100% recovered from the flu.

5. chipower9 said, on April 6, 2016 at 8:14 am

I thought Lou did the finest job of describing yesterday’s win:

“Tidy.”

A contrast in teams the first two games. Monday – When the Giants Come to Town – It’s Bye Bye Baby!

Yesterday – lock-down pitching and solid D.

Let’s make it a sweep in prep for the Bumbinos, tomorrow.

I thought Posey would get the day off today too, but instead, Span sits and Blanco gets in the mix.

1. Angel Pagan (S) LF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Buster Posey (R) C
    4. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    5. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    6. Matt Duffy (R) 3B
    7. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    8. Jeff Samardzija (R) P
    9. Gregor Blanco (L) CF

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:01 am

The only thing I got right for today’s lineup was that the Shark is pitching.

6. chipower9 said, on April 6, 2016 at 8:16 am

I agree with Paul that both Span and Cueto “just fit,” like they have been there for a long time. And I will say Smardj looks the same. With that, I really like the composition of this team. I crowed regularly during ST that this was the most excited I had been about a Giants team out of the spring as I ever have been. Giddy Up!

7. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 8:55 am

Shit. 2 games in and Posey gets a day off? Seriously? I don’t see the Giants l/u posted yet, soooo I’ll reserve judgement.

Yeah, reading the mlb blurb, Eye chart is 2-6, 4.80 against the brewcre, and 0-3, 6.30 era at millerbeerpark. But those were much different teams he faced.

• chipower9 said, on April 6, 2016 at 9:39 am

Charlie – I posted it above a little over an hour ago. Posey is in the line-up. Span sits today and Blanco gets the nod.

• unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 9:52 am

Oh, dear. Missed that. Even still, that’s a bit odd. Didn’t want to rush him into too many games?

8. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 8:56 am

Mil pitcher Taylor Jungmann is batting 8th.

9. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 8:58 am

RBI leaders in the NL:

Duffy, M 5
    Span, D 5

• chipower9 said, on April 6, 2016 at 9:40 am

Five bombs by the boys in Orange and Black, and Pence doesn’t have one of them.

10. Paul Sorensen said, on April 6, 2016 at 10:16 am

Yeah, from my recollection (which, granted, is often spotty at best) Pence seems to start slowly and then be streaky. Great to see the other guys sprinting out of the gate.

11. wilcojoe said, on April 6, 2016 at 10:18 am

Yeah, Jon Miller was mentioning on the audio broadcast that Pence has never homered on Opening Day and is usually a slow starter.

• chipower9 said, on April 6, 2016 at 10:44 am

Well, let’s change that beginning tomorrow with the home opener! Pence goes yard!

12. Macdog said, on April 6, 2016 at 10:52 am

E-2, Brew-te.

13. Macdog said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:13 am

Duffster!

14. Bozo said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:13 am

Duff!

15. gianthead said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:24 am

Hopefully Samarmouthfull settles down…

16. gianthead said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:36 am

I could not believe the Warriors lost…they were up 15 when I turned in.

Curry needs to learn and Kerr needs to gently needle him that up 3 with a minute twenty left is not the time to jack a 3.

Poorly executed play at the end of regulation as well. The way to beat the Dubs is how TWolves and Bucks did it earlier in the season. When the Warriors go small, stay big and go the basket. I fear Popovich is paying attention….

Now the record without a championship is meaninglessness but they will never have a chance to do it again on my opinion. I think the Dubs take care of business with SA at home and them Memphis on the road, then the Sunday game in SA becomes must watch TV….I don’t think Pop will lay down for that game…

17. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:43 am

Pops was already on record saying he’ll rest guys for the Dubs games.

• gianthead said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:47 am

I can see it for Thurs game but when they get to SA and not only is 72 wins on the line, their continued winning streak at home against the Dubs is also on the line, I am betting Pop is all in. Doesn’t matter if Duncan or Parker plays. All about Leonard and the rest of the main Spurs…

18. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:43 am

Eyechart is throwing a lot of pitches.

19. wilcojoe said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:44 am

I don’t always play Chris Carter in my daily fantasy league but when I do it’s against Smarzdjawhatver. Ownage is ownage my friend.

20. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:45 am

and bombs

21. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:51 am

Yesterday’s Dubs loss has a lot to do with Festus getting in game shape. The Dubs couldn’t stop Wiggins or Shabazz inside. With Bogut and Green (and Steph) in foul trouble, it made the D all that much lousier.

22. Lurker John said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:53 am

I will warm up to becoming a Jeff Samardzija fan when he strings some quality starts together. Right now he does not inspire much confidence. His propensity for coughing up gopher balls troubles me.

23. Lurker John said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:56 am

The Warriors had surely better jerk their heads out of their collective asses. I’m glad Kerr is wising up and bagging the record. Staggering into the playoffs is not the way to defend one’s championship.

24. zumiee said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:57 am

A lot of the sports news channels this morning were unwatchable. About half of them had the Connecticut coach with the large head on them, and the other half had the Toronto manager crying crocodile tears about how his player who GRABBED THE SHORTSTOP BY THE FOOT was called out. “Boo hoo, my player who GRABBED THE SHORTSTOP BY THE FOOT was called out.” He only grabbed him by the foot in complete violation of the new rules, but whatever.

25. Macdog said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:58 am

Two outs made on the bases now and should’ve been a third.

26. zumiee said, on April 6, 2016 at 11:59 am

Belt has two caught-stealing’s already this season. What’s up with that?

27. zumiee said, on April 6, 2016 at 12:12 pm

I’ve heard Greg Maddux talk before about all the things a pitcher can do to help win games, like bunting well.

28. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 12:13 pm

WTF? Did Smarge bunt into a DP?

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Yeah, Hill was crashing in and they were able to just get samardzija for two.

29. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Gameday really blows . . . Not getting audio today either. That’s something to cry about.

30. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Looks like we are missing Span the Man already.

31. pawliekokonuts said, on April 6, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Merle Haggard dead, at 79. #MamaTried

• xoot said, on April 6, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Oh, man. That is a big loss. Dozens of great songs, but Ramblin Fever may be the best. RIP.

32. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 6, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Pagan with the triple and Posey knocks him in to tie it. Nice.

33. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Yay! Something happened!

34. chipower9 said, on April 6, 2016 at 12:56 pm

RIP to Merle Haggard. We lost another great one. This year has been unreal for the number of big time folks we have lost from the music world.

35. wilcojoe said, on April 6, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Wow, terrible news. One of my all time favorites. Merle had just cancelled a show here in Houston with Willie Nelson that I was going to attend, so I knew his health wasn’t good. “Sing me back home before I die.”

36. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Who is this Gearrin dude? He reminds me of Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange.

• wilcojoe said, on April 6, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Ha! That’s a pretty good call!

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2016 at 1:57 pm

“Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.”

37. wilcojoe said, on April 6, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Trevor Story is the first player to homer in his first three big league games. Somewhere John Bowker sheds a tear.

38. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 2:01 pm

000 to the rescue!

39. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 2:01 pm

uhhhh, no.

40. Macdog said, on April 6, 2016 at 2:02 pm

I guess now they aren’t going to match the Warriors’ start.

41. Bozo said, on April 6, 2016 at 2:06 pm

So much for a 162-0 record.

42. Carstie Clausen said, on April 6, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Team seemed flat today. No Conga Line. They were something like 1 for 8 with runners on the bases. Sam(etc) did his own cause no good, what with 11 baserunners in five innings. Of course he has had problems with Milwaukee throughout his career. Thankfully his next start vs the Brews will be in SF. Gearrin was ineffective in relief ~ not up to SF standards today. Guess that’s why he’s #13 on the staff.

• Macdog said, on April 6, 2016 at 3:19 pm

I think his next start is at the other beer bandbox, Coors.

• Macdog said, on April 6, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Ooops, saw you said vs. Brews. Yeah, no more trips to Miller.

43. Paul Sorensen said, on April 6, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Couldn’t see the game nor follow on Gameday, but some strange stats in the box score. Lopez gets the loss after facing just one batter (walked him). I guess Gearrin allowed that runner to score on a hit? Can’t really tell what happened. Team RISP, debated by some Flappers as a useless stat: Giants 1 of 8, Brewers 2 of 12. The winning team won that one… even though, to me, 2 of 12 actually *sounds* worse. Brewers left twice as many men on base than the G’s. I guess Large Smarge wasn’t all that effective (he just doesn’t like Old Milwaukee), nor a couple relievers. It might take a couple weeks for Boch to figure out how to use his “new” bullpen. In my mind, historically, the difference between scoring 3 runs and 4 has often seemed big for the Giants…. but maybe that’s true for all teams. Hoping this year’s team manages to score 4 more often than 3. 🙂 A sweep would’ve been grand, but 2 out of 3 on the road to start the season ain’t bad. Hitters need to put on their hitting shoes (see game 1) with the Dog Days beginning so early this season….

44. chipower9 said, on April 6, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Did anyone hear why Span did not start today? Was it simply Boch wanting to get Blanco some innings?

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2016 at 3:34 pm

I read somewhere that he had a touch of the flu.

45. unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Yeah its rolling through the clubhouse.

46. wilcojoe said, on April 6, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Hey Flav, I signed up with Draft Kings today since Fan Duel will no longer operate in Texas beginning May 1st. I am pretty excited to be able to do golf with the Masters beginning tomorrow. However, I did my first lineup for baseball tonight and I have to say that I do not like the interface of their app at all. Is it just me or is it too “busy? Way too much shit going on each page in too small of print. I am hoping I will get used to it, but it doesn’t leave a good first impression.

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2016 at 8:39 pm

you’ll get used to it. I still like FD better for baseball tho. Hit me up on email if you have any specific q’s. Got 7 teams in the Masters MIlly tomorrow.

47. snarkk said, on April 6, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Hard to sweep on the road, even when the oppo is dog meat…

48. zumiee said, on April 6, 2016 at 8:12 pm

The Dodgers are pretty good, but come on, Padres; that’s flat-out ridiculous. The Padres are already phoning in their season.

49. Flavor said, on April 6, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Carl Steward ‏@stewardsfolly 6m6 minutes ago
    A’s crowd count: 16,468.

I think the dude counting the fans tonight was drunk with double vision. There ain’t no 16k there tonight

50. Macdog said, on April 6, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Your 2016 San Dieg000000000 Padres.

51. pawliekokonuts said, on April 6, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Manny Burriss pinch ran today, for the Phils. I’ll miss him at the yard. Speaking of which, cold weather causing havoc. I was all set for Opening Day tomorrow but no go.

52. xoot said, on April 6, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Well over 80 degrees today in Oakland CA. Driving home after work, on the radio the jazz station KCSM played Monk’s “Let’s Cool One.”

53. alleykat69 said, on April 6, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Pawlie,
    You know i love ya man,
    but when we’re down to Manny Burris pinch running highlights in the snow we’ve hit a high time low..

• alleykat69 said, on April 6, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Oops all time low,the Buffalo Trace whiskey is kicking in my brother!!!!

54. snarkk said, on April 6, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Merle Haggard done at exactly age 79, King of the Bakersfield Sound. If you’ve ever been in Bakersfield for any length of time, you know that’s not an easy place to be from. Couldn’t pay me to live around there. Asthma capital of the country now. I’m not a country music fan, but even I appreciated this dude. Who’s a male left with real country chops — Willie and Kristofferson? Strait? That’s about it. Nearly everybody else is a country pretender. At least on the distaff side you’ve got Emily Lou, Dolly, Reba, Loretta Lynn, Bonnie Raitt and a few others still around, though not many really performing anymore. Taylor Swift started out sorta country, but no more. When I really paid some attention to it, I liked Cash, George Jones and Tammy, Willie, Waylon and the Outlaw stuff; Marty Robbins and the old Patsy Cline classics. What a voice she had – like fine crystal. As for George, if you don’t marvel at “He Stopped Lovin’ Her Today”, well, then that’s a shame. Patsy’s “Crazy” is the tops, but if you check out Linda Rondstadt’s version, you’ll be diggin it. I had all her albums in the ’70s, she started out sorta country, then went crossover rock and went to Africa with Jerry Brown on the cover of Time. Rondstadt — if you were in college then, what a bod, what a face, what a voice. Every 20 year old male then would have given something special to spend quality time with her. She lives in SF now, 69 and has Parkinsons of all things, can’t sing anymore. That is a damn shame. Keereist, time for half a finger of Laphroaig, and then done…

• xoot said, on April 7, 2016 at 7:47 am

Two come to mind, one well established, the other fairly new: Steve Earle and Sturgill Simpson