A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Being the Buzzkill

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 8, 2016

I’m not sure if I’ve been hypnotized into staid indifference with all of these Warrior wins but beating the bejezus out of the Dodgers yesterday didn’t stir the same “knowing dude head nod” reaction inside of me that it would have in years past. Is winning really getting this easy? That’s a game we would have lost in years past and not only did we win but we bent those art dealin’ chumps over the dugout out and doubled them up.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about the win. But there’s a part of me that misses the faults and the failures of pre-2010 Giant teams. I’m tired of seeing every other person I pass on the street decked out in fresh Giants gear. And I liked it when no one believed in us. Wins are sweeter and better savored when the doubters are exposed.

Which was more exciting, Mike Ivie’s grand slam or Hunter’s from yesterday?

_______________

2 Flappers, representing.

sarge1

1. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:14 am

Like being a 49er fan right about now. So, no I don’t buy it. The occasional tough win against a good team while getting slaughtered by the also-rans is no fun when it becomes pernicious.

Sitting in a bar watching generated a lot of high-fives and camraderie, so that was cool, but this is the new now. It was an Irish bar so there WAS soccer on, but there were a few Giants fans. Some even knowledgeable. Guy next to me said he played baseball with Joc Peterson brother n HS in Paly. Said his brother sucked. . .

2. sandog said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:15 am

For me, the Ivie slam was bigger. Those were dark days and moments like that were few and far between. I can remember being in my backyard listening to that game. Plus, a close friend of mine to this day (Flav—you met him briefly in the parking lot a G Hills that one day) was AT that game AND he is a hardcore Dodger fan. It was his first ever MLB game.

Don’t get me wrong though. Yesterday was awesome. I think the Giants are going to be a tough team to shut out this year and I was pumped by the comeback that turned into an ass-kicking yesterday. Panik looks to be back in fine form, Crazy Horse looks great, and I don’t see Duffy falling off this year. I don’t see an easy out in our line-up.

Looking forward to Cain tonight. 5 innings with 3 ernies would be great as far as I’m concerned.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:20 am

I was at that game too, that’s why I used it as a reference.

3. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:17 am

Ivies’ slam, one for the ages. Lon Simmon’s call of Ivies’ slam, another one for the ages. That one still gives me goose bumps when I hear it. Off of Don Fucking Sutton was icing on the cake. God I hated that guy.

I get what you’re saying, Craig, but I’ll tolerate the nouveau riche fans if it means the continuing success of this franchise. I find myself getting pissed sometimes when I see them in the stands during TV broadcasts, like they haven’t paid their dues or something. But you can also cherish the fact that you did pay your dues and that will never change. So much fascinating history with this team that only enriches the experience of being a fan.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:25 am

it really was one for the ages. I still remember how loud it was during the celebration. As a kid, I’d never heard anything that loud before. I’ll never forget it.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 10:23 am

Well said, LJ. Absolutely agree with ya, brother.

4. Lurker John said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:20 am

Bad video, but the only one I could find:

Ivies’ slam was in a different universe than Hunter’s. It came during a time when the Dodgers DOMINATED the Giants and were loathed by all Giant’s fans.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:26 am

so awesome. I wish there was a longer clip of that on youtube.

5. zumiee said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:23 am

Yesterday’s win didn’t seem easy to ME. πŸ™‚
    And beating the Dodgers is always a blast. It never gets old. πŸ™‚
    I loved all the pre-game festivities, too. The Giants make a big effort to share the history of the team with the fans.

• Lurker John said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:30 am

Coming back from 4 down makes it even sweeter. The lineup looks tough this year, from top to bottom.

6. Carstie Clausen said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:29 am

Consider the fate of the Yankees fans. They were on top of the world for decades, to the point where they all took it for granite and became blase about the whole matter. Now that the Giants may be virgin on being the dominant team in baseball those of us who went through nothing less than DECADES of futility and floundering finally find ourselves in the catbird seat. And it feels good.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 10:25 am

Here is to the catbird seat, Stix! Whoop!

7. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:38 am

Yeah, I did catch the tributes after I got home. The pieces on Davvy and Monte Irvin were very cool.

One guy I missed was Timmy. Been a whie since he’s not been a part of the mix.

His rehab must not be going well, which is a shame.

8. wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:42 am

I totally get what your saying. I hate to admit it, but I have actually spent more time watching the Astros ( over the last year) for that very reason. They have been so bad for so long, but last year was such a revelation. To have such a young exciting team again, with no history of success to play off of is really a cool thing. It seems like we have seen games like yesterday 100 times since 2010.

• wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:46 am

That being said, if I had actually attended yesterday’s game, I most certainly wouldn’t say what I just did. Watching 3 WS titles and countless great games on Tv or on the radio, 1500 miles away can become somewhat stale. Maybe I just need to get my ass out to SF and attend a game or two.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 10:00 am

Yes you do need to get your ass back out here! I missed you last time you were here, so want to meet up with you at some point, Wilco! And I don’t fault you one bit in digging the current rendition of the Astros. If I was in your shoes…I would be doing the same brother!

• wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 10:12 am

Hopefully this summer. I will keep you posted!

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 10:27 am

That would be cool as hell. Yes, keep us posted, Wilco. Just do not make it July 20th – 24th…that is when Blade and I will be on the right coast seeing our boys take on the Red Sox and YankMees!

• Lurker John said, on April 8, 2016 at 12:46 pm

That will be so cool, seeing the G’s at Fenway and Yank-me stadium. Take lots of pics!

9. Paul Sorensen said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:45 am

Don’t get too jaded, Craig — I’m sure at some point this season, the G-men will tank a bit and frustrate the hell out of you, and then when they win again, you’ll appreciate it more… πŸ™‚ Agree with Zum, that win yesterday wasn’t all that easy. I was gettin’ pissed when the Dogs put up 4 more innings of zeros on top of the 27 they laid on the Pads. Fortunately, our boys got to ’em one inning before LA would’ve tied the MLB record for shut-out innings to start a season.

On another topic, my time here visiting the US East Coast is mostly being spent shuttling my old Ma around to doctors, dentists, and what have you. This morning while waiting in the dentist office, I was reading the oh so classic magazine New Jersey Monthly, and there was an article about how it was 70 years ago this month that Jackie Robinson made his professional baseball debut (minor leagues, member of the Montreal Royals), thus breaking the color barrier in pro ball (even if it was the minors). His first game, they were playing the Jersey City Giants at Roosevelt Stadium in Joisey City and hit his first HR there. My only memory of Roosevelt Stadium was seeing Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon concert there in ’74. Had no idea at that time that’s where Robinson premiered. Of course, had no idea at that time of many things….

• Lurker John said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:11 am

Absolutely. It’s baseball. Frustration is part of the package no matter how good your team is.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:58 am

Enoy your stay back east, Paul. Still hope to meet-up with you and Blade when you hit the left coast.

Great story about Roosevelt Stadium. Gold.

10. Bozo said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:18 am

I enjoyed yesterday’s game, big time. I’m good with winning. I guess I haven’t gotten to the point where I expect the team to win, at least not yet.
    I know it can happen, just look at the run the Braves had and the playoff indifference from the fans. The team couldn’t sell out the first rounds of the playoffs, I guess because it was the WS or nothing for some of their fans.

11. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:44 am

WOO FUCKING HOO, boys! What a great day yesterday! Opening Day is my absolute favorite day of the year! It is Halloween, Turkey Day, xmas, my birthday, and every other fucking holiday rolled into one!

I was at the yard yesterday with my lovely daughter. Got to meet Sarge and have a cold one with him. Very cool cat. Thanks for meeting up with us, Sarge! Hope to see you at the yard again, soon!

Man, what a fucking day. When we were down 4 zip it looked like a loooong day at the yard. But when we were down in the garden with Sarge, the Giants started their come-back. What a fucking game! One of the best all time opening days I have ever been to of late…right up there with the three openers when they raised our World Series Champion banners at the 2011, 2013, and 2015 home openers.

I sent Flav a pict of Sarge and me. I will send a few others. One of my favorites was a shirt that has a likeness of the “Most Interesting Man in the World” with the caption: “I don’t usually hate, but when I do, I prefer to hate the Los Angeles Dodgers.” Back of shirt quote: “Stay Victorious My Friend!” I just ordered a copy of this on Amazon…fucking bad ass shirt. Love it!

Anyway, I was thinking of all you knuckleheads (absolute term of endearment here) while at the yard yesterday. I wish all you hard-core Flap Nation brothers would have been there, too! We must do another Flapalooza this year!

The Horse on the bump today. And yes, I am going back to calling him The Horse, as I have confidence that #18 is going to surprise a bunch of us, and have a good year this campaign.

Four in Seven! Humm Baby – Let’s Do It Again!

• bassbaldy said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:55 am

I knew it! ” .. down in the garden with Sarge, the Giants started their come-back.” Flap Nation MoJo, right there, big time!!!

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:56 am

I ain’t lying…it did seem that way Lisle. And again, welcome back my friend. So good to see you here, again!

12. Winder said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:47 am

Don’t forget Leonard’s slam against Stewart, that one was pretty nice too.

13. Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:51 am

I think it’s Twin’s bday today. Happy 69th my man.

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 8, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Ditto from me, Michael. Also from the spirit of Claus, aka Scoreboard, whose ear was owned by a certain Ray who seems to have had something to do with that birthday.

14. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:52 am

Nice thread, Flav. Ivie’s was bigger, IMO. But I tell ya what, when Pence put that laser beam shot into left center, it was fucking pandemonium in the yard yesterday! And the second that pitch left his bat (clocked at 108 MPH off his bat), there was NO DOUBT it was gone. Bum OFer (cannot recall who was playing left for the bambinos), but he turned, took two steps, and STOPPED. It was righteous!

And I agree with you Flav. My daughter and I talk about that often (all the posers who all of a sudden are now Giants fans). I remember vividly the summer of ’85 (only 100 loss season in franchise history) rocking my Giants hat, and people would look at me with this “really, the Giants?” look, and ask me WTF, and I would simply tell them “yep, we suck, but they are and always will be my team!”

You can spot the posers a mile away. All decked out in brand new Giants gear. Kind of sad. I do miss the old days when we were truly fully under the radar. But, I am still pumped as hell about our “three in five.” Fuck, I remember hoping and praying for ONE title in my lifetime.

• ewisco said, on April 8, 2016 at 12:45 pm

i was in the left field bleachers when they lost that 100th game. at the time, they were the only franchise without a 100 loss season. it pretty much sucked.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 1:00 pm

It sucked BIG TIME, but I was still, and always will be, a PROUD Giants fan.

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 8, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Only piece of Giants gear i own is a black with orange SF cap i purchased when in The City in 1989. Don’t spose that would pass as “new Giants gear”, though. Oops, forgot about a tee-shirt or two bought at Twin Cities garage sales in the 80’s and early 90’s.

15. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:55 am

Pawlie – congrats on potentially having someone to publish “Chasing Willie Mays.” That is so cool! I still have the manuscript you sent to me for a read. Loved it, and cannot wait to buy a copy!

16. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 10:02 am

Happy Birthday, Twin! Hope your day is awesome, Michael, and that the year ahead is a happy and healthy one, crowned with another WS title! Be well my friend.

Blessings to you, Merna, and your four-legged family members.

17. bassbaldy said, on April 8, 2016 at 10:15 am

Thanks Chi for the warm welcome. It’s was a crazy Winter and you are so right on about me having some stories to tell. Too much to go into here. Yet, I will tell you I arrived in Arizona the day the Giants broke camp. My wife and I were down in South East AZ and in New Mexico for a week scouting property. We gotta get outta fresNO .. Whatta dead-end dump! We have a lovely home but other than AAA baseball, the city itself is so bereft of culture. In a nut, very little work for me, lots of closed minds and I’m too old and burnt to be out on the road constantly. So, we are looking for alternatives. Obviously, we are priced out of the Bay Area.

18. wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 10:17 am

Great pic of you two! I have the same shirt Chi, except in orange. It was a size large when I got it in 2000. No way in hell I could squeeze into it now.

19. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2016 at 10:24 am

Yeah, having attended many a game through many a season that had under 1,000 fans in actual attendance, the bandwaggoners (and Lyle Waggoners) are kind of annoying, however, it screams of ‘get off my lawn!’

Reading Chi’s account is the crux of the biscuit. To be there and witness it makes it all the more sweet.

Happy birthday, Mike! Hope things are well with you and Merna and the critters.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 10:43 am

Under 1k?

• unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:24 am

Oh yeah. I got my license in 1977 so we went to a lot of games that year. The attendance in a lot of those Tuesday night games, esp toward the end of the shitty season that 1977 was, were around 1,000. I thought I remembered a game that was 973 in paid attendance, but shit that was nearly 40 years ago.

It was like watching the game in the grand canyon.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:59 am

that’s wild. I went to games with 2-3k but never a game under 1k

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:30 am

I remember being at games where there were probably less than 2k. There were some thin times at The Stick. Still hard to believe they tore her down. Sad…

20. Paul Sorensen said, on April 8, 2016 at 10:42 am

Chi/Chuck, you bet. Steve and I have been talking about meeting up somewhere in the Bay Area on the 19th, maybe 20th. Hope you can make it. Great pic of you and Sarge. And Michael, happy b-day indeed…

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Yep…still going to try to get down to see you boys.

21. Bozo said, on April 8, 2016 at 10:45 am

Speaking of new gear, when I lived in SF I’d buy a new lid each year. I used to write the year and my Home record under the bill. Used silver ink when the underside was black, black ink when it was orange or green.
    I guess it was a weird ritual, but I got into it.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:32 am

Very cool, John. You still have all of those lids?

• Bozo said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:45 am

Some, but they are hard to read now (rain, washings).

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:35 am

Sarge commented on the Croix de Candlestick pin on my hat yesterday. I told him the story of how I lost my hat years ago that had the two Croix pins I earned at The Stick. I mentioned that a few years back here on the Flap, and you had just found a shoe box with a bunch of old memorabilia in it, and sent me two pins to replace my lost ones. I cherish those two pins even more, now. Thanks again for your generosity.

• Bozo said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:50 am

Not a problem Chi. I still have a couple of rusted out ones and I think one or two still in plastic.
        I still have the ST pin you sent me. I only went to ST once, it was back in 89. I may still have a plastic cup from that trip but that would be it so its nice to have the pin you sent.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 6:48 pm

i didn’t know that story, that’s cool as hell Clown

22. bassbaldy said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:04 am

A bit off topic here .. but by now, you guys know how I roll .. with all due respect, I’m just gonna talk about what ever I want, even if it is only me talkin to myself … Maybe I’m nuts, outta touch with reality .. but here goes:

Chuck mentioned that he missed Timmy and thinks his rehab is not going well. My theory is that all this business of the Giants playing coy, saying “it’s highly unlikely” Timmy will be back with the Giants and totally down playing any interest in his rehab is a smoke screen. It’s been talked about a lot here how the Giants are very loyal to their own, sometimes to a faulty extreme.

I think the reason we aren’t hearing anything about Timmy is because we got him on retainer. The Giants are waiting until he is ready, he is slowly rebuilding. Think about it for a minute … it’s Tim Freakin Lincecum we are talking about! Has any one individual been more important to the rise of the Giants to the position of becoming a perennial powerhouse contender and one the three or four richest franchises in baseball? When we speak of THE all time modern era Giants, Mays, McCovey, Bonds, is not Lincecum among that pantheon?

It’s all very ‘hush, hush’ but they are getting him ready. He’ll be back. Maybe in the pen, maybe not … It could be another year away … Seriously, Tim Lincecum as a Padre? Or worse still, as a … Fuck, I can’t even say it … They ain’t gonna let that happen! IMHO, of course.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:28 am

Lisle – crazy? I don’t know about that…but I like the way you think. If what you describes comes to be, well, that will be fucking amazing…especially if he comes back and pitches anywhere close the Timmy we all know and love. And I believe you are correct…Timmy is right there with the all-time greats, IMO. I will ALWAYS love 55!

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:29 am

I concur with Chuck. Timmy would’ve signed a minor league contract with somebody by now if he had any gas in the tank. He still might. But iffy. It’s kinda sad. It evokes Magnus’s theory of players as thoroughbred horses.

23. pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:26 am

I can’t even place or recall the Ivie slam. What year? If it was in my boozin’ years, it is part of a haze. I DID like ivie’s short stroke. great swing.

Anyway, despite freight-trains-full of Hunter-come-lately fans, I’ll take these salad days any day, with extra toppings. Hop on board. I don’t care. (I’m that way with the Warriors; a happy fraud.)

Happy birthday, Twin. If you are 69 today, you and my brother were born on the same exact day!

24. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:28 am

That would be awesome if true, Lisle. Yeah, at some point at work yesterday I got a video of the players walking through the tunnel heading toward the field foe the first time this season, and it was a little sad not seeing Timmy out there.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:29 am

the presence of absence…

25. pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:33 am

Sweden has this Call a Swede thing. I love it. Someone should make a global app for this. The world might change, for the better. Call me a sappy idealist, but the possibilities are rich. Plus, think of the hook-ups!

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:39 am

Very cool. Have you called yet, Pawlie?

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:40 am

I would, but it’s international rates. I suspect roaming charges would be dreadful. But I’d be up for some Ursula “roaming”!

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Ursula roaming…that is gold, Mr. Kokonuts…

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 8, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Hook-ups? Some random Swede you might get could have a style of plumbing which is not to your taste.

26. zumiee said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:51 am

Chi, great report about the game and great photo!

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Thanks, Zume. It was ELECTRIC in the yard! Almost like playoff ball. And the gang around us in the club level were all very cool. We had a great time. Caught dinner with friends afterwards at the Delancey Street Grill to let the traffic mellow. Awesome day!

27. alleykat69 said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:53 am

Great pic of Chi&Sarge!
    Did us proud bringing the Flap Universe a win over the Dogpile!
    Damm I wished I was there yesterday slamming back a cold one with you guys!
    Congrats to you Pawlie as well, with your new book deal!
    And Twin Happy Birthday my man!

28. Bozo said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:54 am

Nice photo Chi and Sarge. Although, you both are looking pretty sober at that point.
    Cheers you two.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2016 at 12:04 pm

amen

29. Winder said, on April 8, 2016 at 11:54 am

Happy B-Day twin, and your right Fresno sucks.

30. pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Marty Lurie just emailed me; said he’d do a blurb for the book.

Where’s Blade??? Thighland?

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Thighland. Pure Gold!

31. pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Snow flurries here. Sheesh.

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 8, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Probably a later edition of the 1/2″ or so we got here in the Northwoods last night. Mostly thawed by now, but we’re looking at an overnight of something like 15 degrees ~ and then maybe 70 a week from tomorrow. Sure been a yo-yo pair of seasons.

32. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Hey gang, wanted to make a plug here, just because I think this is so damned cool. After the game yesterday, my daughter and I had dinner with friends at the Delancey Street Grill (right down from the yard). I have been there several times and will definitely return.

Anyway, here is a link that describes the place and what they do (other than crank out awesome food at a VERY reasonable price).

If you are down that way and want to grab a bite, I highly suggest this place…and the money goes to a wonderful cause.

33. Macdog said, on April 8, 2016 at 2:46 pm

The Padres have scored, but it’s at Coors, so I’m not sure that counts.

34. wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Hey Flav, how you doing with your Masters Million dollar entries? I played one and it looks like all but one of my guys will make the cut. That little shit Zach Johnson shot plus six today to miss the stroke by one shot. Fuck!

• wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Not so fast. Spieth bogeys 17 to fall to -4. Cut may fall to +6.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 4:34 pm

I played 7 and I think 3 of them had everyone making the cut. 4 with 1 guy missing. I have to double check all the teams tho. Cut went at +7 right?

• wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Yeah cut was +7. Did you see what happened to Zach Johnson? The little fucker got charged with a 2 shot penalty after the round. Haven’t heard what it was for…I really do have the worst luck.

35. wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Of course now that I look at it, nearly the entire field outside of the old timers, will make the cut.

36. wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Trevor Story has now homered in his first four games as a big leaguer.

37. zumiee said, on April 8, 2016 at 3:21 pm

I knew nothing about the guy that’s doing the starting pitching tonight for L.A., so I looked online. I saw this from a guy named Scott Andes:

“In the second game of the series the Dodgers will give the ball to rookie right hander Ross Stripling. The 26-year old will be making his MLB debut. You just have to go out and beat the Giants at AT&T Park in front of a bunch of rabid Giants fans, kid. No pressure.
    It will be a tough assignment for Stripling for sure. He pitched well enough in the spring to surprise everyone by grabbing the fifth starter job, thanks in part to the injuries to Brett Anderson, Hyun-jin Ryu, and Mike Bolsinger. Stripling is 6’3 and 210 pounds. He is from Bluebell Pennsylvania, and attended Texas A&M University. He pitched a no-hitter in college.
    Stripling uses a full arsenal of pitches, and owns a 2.83 ERA in three minor league seasons. The Dodgers drafted him in the fifth round of the 2012 amateur draft. He was originally drafted by the Rockies in 2011, but did not sign with them. Stripling had Tommy John surgery in 2014.”

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 8, 2016 at 4:48 pm

At 6’3″/210 how can he call himself Stripling?

• djloo27 said, on April 8, 2016 at 5:00 pm

If I know my Giant history, we’ll lose 8-1…

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Loo. Pure gold. Thought the same thing myself about this game as it relates to our shit performances v unknown pitchers. And Krukow will blather on and on about it in the booth.

38. zumiee said, on April 8, 2016 at 3:34 pm

A funny moment in Jon Miller’s call of the Pence grandslam. Miller called it for Posey, realized his mistake, and did a quick fix, and did it well. πŸ™‚

• wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 3:38 pm

That’s great!

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 8, 2016 at 3:54 pm

HOF-worthy…very funny, and quick!

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 6:52 pm

it was an unbelievable save by Miller. One of the greatest home run calls of all time in a certain way……

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 7:31 pm

I heard that. Loved it.

39. Paul Sorensen said, on April 8, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Cubbies just took a hit, losing Schwarber for the season with torn ACL…. That’d be like G’s losing Pence.

• djloo27 said, on April 8, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Too fuckin’ bad…

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Cubs offense is in good shape to withstand a loss like that. They have A LOT of guys.

40. Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Wilco– only 2 of my 7 teams made it through unscathed. Phil missing the cut screwed one team. I only have Spieth on 2 teams and neither of my Spieth teams are still in tact….We’ll see, the weekend is loooooong.

• wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Yeah, I posted above that little shit Zach Johnson got charged with a 2 shot penalty after the round and thus missed the cut. So I only got five guys going into the weekend.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 7:25 pm

golf is the single hardest DFS sport I’ve ever tried to play. Never hit anything big. I opened my laptop, constructed 7 teams, closed my laptop and made a pact with myself not to make any more teams. lol. And I do spend an awful lot of time researching golf. So that makes it that much worse that I’ve never hit anything big.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Don’t like Zach Johnson for a lot of reasons. But I would be doing a slow burn if I had him and he missed the cut for that bullshit.

• wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:03 pm

I am kicking myself for not having played it sooner. I follow golf pretty closely and this just makes it that much more interesting. I still can’t figure out the scoring system. Seems like a lot of moving pieces.

I absolutely detest DraftKings format for baseball. WTF don’t they tell you which side the hitter hits and pitcher throws? I don’t like having to toggle another site to locate that shit. I also don’t like having to pick two pitchers.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:23 pm

agree on the “which side does he hit/pitch from”, that’s irritating. I usually know it but it’s stupid to have to go look it up. I play DK baseball when I have multiple pitcher angles for obvious reasons. And you better be right because P’s can drop a giant neg score on you if your angle misfires….

• wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 7:56 pm

That’s awesome.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:01 pm

I’m going to try to buy that jersey, doesn’t look like it’s for sale tho (yet)

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Which jersey is that Flav? I was rocking a “1 Flannery” jersey yesterday.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:19 pm

watch the video, they show it about 3/4 of the way thru

41. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Okay boys, let’s go! Come on Giants!

42. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 7:32 pm

WTF – granted this is “Craig’s place,” but really, gold? WTF. I hate golf, just because I suck at it SO BAD! lulz…

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Okay…I know this post says “gold” but when I go in to edit, it says “golf.” I give up…WTF…GOLF? Fuck that…only because I SUCK ASS at that moronic game!

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:00 pm

it’s a great game, I wish I had more time to play like the old days. And I never miss a major. Love it. Despite your feelings about *gold*!!!!!!!!! lol

43. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:02 pm

It is all good, Craig. If I had unlimited time to go out and play gold, er, I mean golf, I am sure I would feel differently. Actually, I am jealous of all you guys who play and do decent at the sport. Golf is “hard as fuck!”

44. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Pederson sucks…cocksucker!

• bassbaldy said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Pederson is an asshole .. Damn double!

45. Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Voggy got the W tonight for the Pirates. His last win for them was 11 years ago.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:23 pm

That is CRAZY! I will always have big respect for Voggy. But he was drafted “A Giant.”

46. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Fuck!

47. Macdog said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Cain getting his usual support.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Great call Mac. Remember years ago, when Cain was a really good pitcher (is he one, still?), and he would constantly lose games 1-0, 2-1, etc. I predict a good year for “The Horse.”

48. Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:27 pm

this Ross Stripling guy is not gonna be a problem. Time to blast away.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Maybe next inning, right?

• alleykat69 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Yeah for a guy like Stripling? No problem? For him I guess,as he’s tossing a no hitter at us.
      Typical Cy Young shit new starter against us!!

49. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Miller even referencing getting “Cained.” Yep…dude had some tough years…kick ass pitching, but NO fucking run support.

50. bassbaldy said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Btw … The game on KAIL Ch13 Comcast in the Central Valley

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Yeah, I am getting it on a local Sacto feed. Cain deserves better!

51. wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Astros game ends on the new slide rule going against them. Rasmus clearly did a late overslide, though the SS was never in harms way. Umpire calls double play to end game. Runners have been doing this for 150 years and we never thought twice about it. Not saying I disagree with the rule, but it certainly is changing the game.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:35 pm

I get it. It is tough re: how to call that play. But if you won’t say it Wilco, I will. I disagree with the rule. I preferred it without the new rule change. One game/PLAY should not change the rules of the game, as it has been played over 100 years, IMO.

• Paul Sorensen said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:47 pm

There was no play at 1st for the DP, bad rule, bad call, especially to end the game. That said, runners need to be taught to at least go for the bag. Rasmus never even touched it.

52. bassbaldy said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:36 pm

How typical is this, Giants bats being silenced by a complete unknown hologram … seem familiar?

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:37 pm

It IS the Giants nemesis! Same shit, different year!

53. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Bleeeeeh. A Stripling whipling. Cain can’t put people away.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Well, if you look at their pitching lines, they are almost identical. Cain is doing damned good, IMO. He just needs some run support. How many fucking times have I said that in my life (rhetorical question)…

54. Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Ross Stripling sounds like a guy I’d find in the Yellow Pages back in the day for some discount tax advice…..

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:43 pm

lulz…no shit! I will remember that when i need some help on my taxes! LMAO…

• wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Haven’t filed yet? Afraid you owe the IRS money that you can’t pay? No problem. Call Ross Stripling today!!!

• djloo27 said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Or maybe something you buy in Home Depot to seal up your windows…

55. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:42 pm

I am damned happy to see Bochy run Cain back out there for the 6th. Come on bats…time to wake the fuck up!

56. bassbaldy said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:44 pm

I dunno … Overall, I think this may the best Cain has looked in quit sometime .. but to quote a flapper from yesterday “where’s the god damn offense?”

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:46 pm

I agree, Lisle. Given the past few years, surgeries, etc., Cain looks awesome, IMO.

57. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Cain getting Cained. 12 years of pitching against the Dogs, and 5 wins? Did I just hear that?

58. Macdog said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:48 pm

How about break out one of the dozen or so bunts they had yesterday — anything right now for a hit.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Good call, Mac…Specs to the rescue…

59. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:48 pm

It is coming…Giants are gonna open up on this dude like they did with Wood yesterday…

• bassbaldy said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:52 pm

I sure hope you are right … At this point – 6 inning no hitter – Im wishing we were facing Kershaw … at least we could say ‘damn that fucker is good’ but this guy? Ross who the fuck Stripling .. WTF?

60. Paul Sorensen said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:49 pm

As for the Cubs losing Schwarber, sorry, that is definitely going to be a blow for them on their media pre-ordained march to the Series.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Yep. That is TOUGH. I feel bad for the kid…that sucks if you are him. I cannot imagine. Definitely should have an impact on the Cubbies…kid is a damned good ballplayer.

61. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Caballo Loco with the nice sliding catch! Not bad for an old fuck…

62. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 8:58 pm

So, any Flappers representing tomorrow? Tomorrow is Bum vs. Kershaw…I wish like hell I was gonna be there!

63. Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:03 pm

raining like a bitch here in PA and the rain is moving north towards AT&T

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:04 pm

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:08 pm

I’m not known for rolling deep in Pennsylvania.

• bassbaldy said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:14 pm

I thought maybe that was how you were hip to Voggys win for Pit tonight … then realized that game was in Cincinasty.

64. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Fuck! Trade Belt!

65. djloo27 said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:04 pm

I’m having a Bill Rohr flashback…

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Loo, I had NO idea who Billy Rohr was until I looked it up. Your baseball knowledge is amazing…

66. Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:06 pm

The plastic wrap at Mrs. James home remains on its roll, undisturbed…..

67. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Trade Belt. I’ve had it. He’s pissed about a borderline strike he should be fucking swinging at.

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:09 pm

No shit, Charlie! You have to swing at those “borderline” pitches. And THAT is probably the thing that I most hate about Belt. Get the bat off your fucking shoulder and SWING IT!

68. unca_chuck said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:08 pm

If he went after outside pitches, he’d get a hit to LF more often than not.

69. bassbaldy said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:09 pm

If we get no hit by this fuckin rook tonight I’m down for trading the whole fuckin lot of em!!!

• bassbaldy said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Except Posey …

• chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:10 pm

LMAO…Calm down, Baldy…get yourself a cocktail brother…

70. bassbaldy said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:11 pm

and Pence …

71. Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:12 pm

I’m with Loo, I don’t give a shit about a non-Giant player getting hurt. Sorry. We’re like this because of horse racing, I don’t doubt that for a second…..

• djloo27 said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:16 pm

You might be on to something there, Flav…

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:25 pm

so many of my favorite sports heroes gone in one quick misstep. On to the next. That’s just life, that’s the way it is.

72. bassbaldy said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:12 pm

and maybe Panik …?

73. chipower9 said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:19 pm

OK. Time to turn the tides on this young ass rookie punk.

74. wilcojoe said, on April 8, 2016 at 9:19 pm

That kid looked to be in too deep of thought. He obviously is thinking about what he is about to do. I think the Giants break the no-no and shutout here in the eighth.