Losing

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 10, 2016

Missing out on a golden opportunity to beat Kershaw sucks but when you consider that our offense was provided by a pitcher and a guy who hits like a pitcher we can’t really be too bummed that one didn’t get put in the bank. Our offense is not good right now.

The rain is falling this morning, it certainly doesn’t have the feel of a hitters game approaching.

Drizzle. That’s a great word. Describes our offense perfectly…..

Probably won’t be a fun game to sit through today…..

1. gianthead said, on April 10, 2016 at 7:33 am

Well we had snow flakes yesterday…so take the rain and like it!! 🙂

If we had won that, I bet that they would have laid an egg today and we would all be happy with a 3-1 series. So just go out and win today and we get the series 3-1 anyway…

There could not be a more annoying thing than being in a Master’s Pool….actually we are doing all majors and the TPC and you can only pick the same golfer twice all year and you get 5 players per tourney. So I along with almost everyone else skipped Spieth. Rory was my main guy and he tanked yesterday along with Stenson my second pick. Then I had Adam Scott and Bubba all suckling and I was idiotic to make Phil my last pick…F Me!

• Flavor said, on April 10, 2016 at 8:30 am

lol, that was like the worst decision over and over…. I have 3 teams in the DK Milly Maker that are in good shape. Would love to see either Day and Matsuyama win it all. And I have DJ on one of those teams but I just can’t see him making a move on a Sunday with this much on the line. Regretted putting him on a team almost immediately after lock.

• gianthead said, on April 10, 2016 at 9:24 am

I am rooting for Langer!!! Get first place points out of everyone’s hands.

Stenson just needed to play even yesterday and he would have been in decent shape for points. This was the reason I never picked Scott last year…

2. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 7:45 am

That was a rough one yesterday, and as soon as we went extras, I just did not have a good feeling about it.

To Charlie’s comment towards the end of the thread yesterday, he said Panik makes that play 95% of the time.

It was actually Specs who booted the ball. Panik turns that 99.99999% of the time. To me, that error was the difference yesterday. And then Specs is on-deck with a chance to make amends, and Panik pinch-hits for him. I kinda feel sorry for the kid.

As others mentioned, it is a long grind and we’re only six in. I am not going to trip on anything at this point. Johnny C on the bump today. Go win that one to take 3 of 4 and I am good with that.

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 10, 2016 at 9:01 am

Cueto needs to be on his game and the offense needs to bear down today. A win and all is good. Losing would put us behind LA, a tied 4-game series at home and nothing more than kiss your sisterville after copping the first two. Go get em, guys.

• bassbaldy said, on April 10, 2016 at 9:25 am

So weird reading “Cueto needs to be on his game …” in the context of him being a Giant, one of OUR guys .. weird. Guess I’m still pinching myself.

• bassbaldy said, on April 10, 2016 at 9:13 am

It’s pure insanity to get panicky in April, way too early for that. Yet, an L is an L, whatever month they come in and they are cumulative. If we miss the post season by a couple or few games its moments like yesterday’s we look back on a say “if only …”

Read somewhere that Pence, Belt, Span & Duffy are hitting a combined .106 this series.

• gianthead said, on April 10, 2016 at 9:26 am

Chi, I think Charlie was saying if Panik had been in there, he makes the play 95% of the time so no reason to fret. And Panik will be playing probably 95% of the time

• bassbaldy said, on April 10, 2016 at 9:45 am

Me too, that’s what I understood Charlie to be saying.

3. gianthead said, on April 10, 2016 at 9:17 am

Chi and Blade, my oldest kid has asked for tickets for one of the Giants – Red Sox games. Are you guys going to both? Both are night games right? We may not commit till we get closer to the date but let me know your plans…

4. willedav said, on April 10, 2016 at 10:19 am

Tough one but good competitive series so far. Culbs beats Kontos on same day OOO takes Opie deep?

Hey Lisle good to see you. Read something on F/G hardball times section about Lincecum surgery and rehab from hip injury, same thing that led Reds C Mesoraco to miss most of last year. Not sure Giants ever get him back or what he can still do.

Did happen to watch Aoki highlights last night playing LF for M’s. He took the wrong train in a route to ball hit in front of him and then dove for it…missing it by couple feet as it sailed behind him to the wall for a 2b.

• bassbaldy said, on April 10, 2016 at 10:59 am

Thx Willedav, good to be back! Baseball has saved my life! I mean that literally. And this blog, Admiral Flav and you other cats here, have been major contributors to my well being. I thank you all most sincerely.

5. zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 10:49 am

Rough day for Sandoval yesterday. He made the national sports news with a video clip of him breaking his belt; and meanwhile he goes 0-4, with 3 Ks, and made a throwing error.

• bassbaldy said, on April 10, 2016 at 11:02 am

I keep thinking back to the 3 hrs against the Tigers … smile … I’m really trying to summon some sympathy for Fatso but I’m not finding it easy.

6. sandog said, on April 10, 2016 at 11:03 am

I think it is a little early to panic about the offense. Kershaw is one of the best pitchers in the history of the freaking game and the Stripling kid looked like he was throwing pretty damn good to me.
    Yeah, it was just one game, but that loss yesterday STUNG for me. Bum battled his ass off and I was NOT comfortable turning over a one run game to Strickland, but he came through big time. Add that to the good vibes that would have come from beating a guy like Kershaw and that one hurt quite a bit in my book.

I love wild predictions and I think highly of Panik, but better numbers than Posey when it is all said and done???? I don’t know about that one Wilco, but I love you for throwing it out there.

Span or Aoki? I’m down with Span on that one.

I can’t stand the Warriors, but I’m actually pulling for them to set the record for some odd reason. Probably because I have no love for Michael Jordan and those Bulls teams.

The Masters has been a bit of a bore for me so far, and I love that tourney. Hopefully, some drama will develop today.

• willedav said, on April 10, 2016 at 11:27 am

Stripling in Brown’s first AB made him look stupid, striking him out easily with 3 straight breaking balls.
      They take him out and he homers.

Dodgers pen looked like shit first couple, then Giants imploded yesterday.

Was just getting home and listening to Miller on radio when Panik took the called third strike yesterday in 9th.
      Wow, he had battled and fouled pitches off before that…

Warriors won a gritty one vs. undermanned Griz yesterday. Without shot blocker in middle they attacked the rim and shot less 3s. Curry did same thing in W vs. Spurs here to great affect. Pop rested his guys vs. Denver so they will be ready to defend home court tonight with home streak on line.

I can’t stand Larry Krueger but he did say something interesting—as well as Warriors have played (and shot, over 40 % from 3) on the road you’d think they would win at least once so to win a series against them you would have to likely beat them twice at home.

7. sandog said, on April 10, 2016 at 11:09 am

…and I hope we get to see Gearrin pitch to Justin Turner today. They both look like they would love to pound some spiked milk and would have a blast committing Ultra Violence in the Tenderloin!

• zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 11:20 am

I’ve probably led a somewhat sheltered life; I have no idea what any of that means. 🙂

• sandog said, on April 10, 2016 at 11:36 am

C’mon Zum….a voracious reader like you has never read A Clockwork Orange??? I know its not a baseball book, but I thought you for sure were getting all these references.
        We were actually assigned to read that book at Woodland High in the early 80’s, which kind of surprises me a bit now that I think about it. And I actually did read it, which is maybe even more surprising.

• sandog said, on April 10, 2016 at 11:48 am

Gearrin is almost comical out there. Between the hair, the facial expression, and that weird pumping motion he does with such gusto, it’s a trip watching that guy do his thing. Reminds me a bit of Rod Beck, though Beck was nowhere near that wacky.

• zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 1:10 pm

I have to admit I missed A Clockwork Orange, both book and movie, along the way, somehow, although I’ve seen very short clips of the movie, with Malcolm McDowell looking like a sinister futuristic street-punk.
        I read some pretty eclectic stuff in high school English classes, too. Siddartha, Earth Abides, and Farenheit 451 were memorable.
        With all the misguided education reforms of the last 20 years, students don’t read as many novels in classes these days.

8. snarkk said, on April 10, 2016 at 11:32 am

I don’t get subbing out Panik and Crawford both yesterday. Yeah, they are lefties and maybe have trouble against Kershaw, but who doesn’t? They are your starters, your all stars, and you sit them against Kershaw after just 5 games? I don’t get that. Sure 000 happened to hit a dinger, great. But, Tomlinson boots the game winner DP, where Panik almost certainly turns it. And, nothing was stopping Bochy from putting Panik in at 2nd in the 9th for D purposes. Would 5 minutes in the 9th in the field have destroyed his off day? Yeah, it’s a long season, but how about days off for the starters when they play dogmeat teams…

• chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Agree. Give Bochy a call…

9. willedav said, on April 10, 2016 at 12:16 pm

SF is such a weird clime; wonder if Cueto will like it here. Bum Cain Peavy (plus Belt Pence Posey) grew up in South and I’ve heard Bum say pitching in warm humid weather loosened him up and didn’t bother him at all.

I’ve always wondered what Latin ballplayers from PR or DR think of ATT and if anyone avoided signing here because of how cold it is during the summer for night games.

10. bassbaldy said, on April 10, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Read somewhere that Giant first stringers had less playing time in ST than any other team and consequently April is actually ST for them. Is that true? Is that why our offense is being so inconsistent?

• zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 1:28 pm

I don’t know, but I’d like to see Span get it going.

11. zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Cueto’s doing a great job of pitching batting practice.

12. Macdog said, on April 10, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Looks like my full attention will now be on the Masters.

• chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:15 pm

How’s the Masters, Mac? I was there, too…but we have a new ballgame.

• Macdog said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Actually pretty boring. Spieth is running away with it.

13. bassbaldy said, on April 10, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Yikes!

14. Macdog said, on April 10, 2016 at 1:26 pm

The Giants’ best starter has been Heston.

• snarkk said, on April 10, 2016 at 1:48 pm

I hope Bochy puts him in more consistently than he did Petit last year…

15. zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 1:31 pm

We’re 6 games in, and Comcast is still posting last years’ numbers for the players. That bugs me.

16. zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Nice slide, Pence!

17. snarkk said, on April 10, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Span hitting .167. No bueno.
    At this rate, Blanco looks like a starter…

• chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Way too early to go there, IMO. Blanco is hitting a pedestrian .222 and Span has the higher OPS.

18. Macdog said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Belt earning his contract!

19. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Remember all those times I was barking “Trade Belt!”…well, of course I was kidding…

Belted!

20. zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:16 pm

New ballgame!
    Come on, Cueto, new chance.

21. zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Cueto doesn’t have the good control he had the other day. He’s grooving a lot of pitches today.

22. gianthead said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:25 pm

That was our Giants offense for 2016…quick strike attack but Cueto blew that.. more quick strikes needed….

• gianthead said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Quick strike ordered….quick strike delivered….

23. Macdog said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Pa-GONE!

24. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Adios Pelota – El Caballo Loco!

25. Macdog said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:30 pm

This was funny: A buddy of mine who’s at the game just called me, and he told me Pagan hit a HR right before I saw it happen on TV.

26. snarkk said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Belt didn’t hit his HR far enough – not too impressive. Trade the slacker!…

27. gianthead said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Turn on the Master’s….Spieth is melting down

• Macdog said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:47 pm

What a collapse.

• gianthead said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:54 pm

The last person I thought would melt down… he is 6 over last three holes.

• gianthead said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Quadruple bogey

• chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:06 pm

6-6 against the bums…no fucking way I am switching to the masters…i don’t care if there are naked women on th e course. Uh, wait…

28. Macdog said, on April 10, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Leaving Cueto in, hope this works out.

29. zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:00 pm

I thought Bochy would PH for Cueto there.

• chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Not me…not with him at 84 pitches…

• Macdog said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:08 pm

And the thin bench.

• chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Ah, come on Mac…Agent Zero had a dinger yesterday, and Blanco is killing it with his .222 BA. 😉

30. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Nice 6th for Johnny C!

31. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:07 pm

El Caballo Loco! The old man is getting it done today! Let’s hear it for the old washed-up fucks, eh Kev?

32. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Span with the swinging bunt! LMAO…

33. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:19 pm

FUCK YEAH!

34. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Panic Attack! Love this kid!

35. Macdog said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Panik for the lead!

36. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:25 pm

We’ll take that…another run, baby!

37. zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Howell’s ERA is 54.00 now. Ouch.

38. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Holy shit! Been working on the yard. I left when the Dogs put up a 5 spot. Heard us score 2 in the bottom of the first, and just walked in after tons of work. Unreal. For some reason I can’t get ANY AM reception where I live (the WC) Anyhow, came in and saw Span’s swinging bunt and Panik’s epic double. And the sac fly. Surprised to see Cueto pitching the 7th but I guess he settled down.

Well. Not so fast . . . hooo boy. That was scary. Weird-ass game for Cueto, but he’s in line . . .

39. zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Cueto finished strongly.

40. Lurker John said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:38 pm

I just saw the replay of Tomlinson booting the tailor-made DP ball yesterday for the first time. I didn’t know that’s how they lost. WTF was Specs doing in there? I’m 100% sure Panik easily makes that play. With Gonzalez running, it’s game over. Yeah, I’m late to the party, but FUCK!!

• chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Specs and Agent Zero got the start yesterday. Craw and Panik were on the bench until the 9th…

• Lurker John said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Agent Zero. lol

41. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Cueto, after the rough start, settled down and pitched a damned fine game.

42. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:41 pm

DuffMan!

43. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:41 pm

And yeah, I thought is was Specs that durfed the grounder, then I saw Panik up to bat and second guessed myself.

DUFFMAN!!!!

44. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Uuuurrrrrrp!

45. Lurker John said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Cueto gets major kudos. Bad beginning, but he grinds out 7 innings, gives the Giants a chance to get back in it and saves the BP. The man is a professional pitcher. That’s something that likely won’t be remembered at the end of the year, aside from the denizens of this fine establishment, but it’s huge and now he and the team are in line for the win and the series. Warrior.

46. Lurker John said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Panik and Craw both hit lefties well, so why the hell are they on the bench in game fucking 6 with the Dog-ears in town? As Panik drills a double to put the Giants up two. C’mon Bochy.

• zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:50 pm

That’s the way Bochy rolls. He likes to keep the bench involved. It’ll drive us crazy sometimes, but he’s got a bunch of rings. 🙂

• Lurker John said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:52 pm

He also usually goes defensive in the late innings, time and time again. In hindsight, I’d bet he puts in Panik for the 9th yesterday.

• snarkk said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:55 pm

I asked that question earlier. Take out two all stars with kershaw on the mound?…

• chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:58 pm

I questioned it too, and agreed with snarkk, but on the flip-side, hard to argue with Bochy. With that, I am just gonna sit back and sip on my cup of “Shut the Fuck Up.”

47. zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Trevor Story hit another HR; that’s insane.

• Lurker John said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Wow, 7 homers in 6 games.

• zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:56 pm

The pundits were already handing the Rookie of the Year to Seager. Seager’s got some competition.

• Lurker John said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Someone needs to tell the pundits they play 162 games.

48. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Nice work outta the pen by Osich. Nice to have a big strong lefty in the pen who can bring the cheddar.

• Lurker John said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Mmmm, cheddar.

• chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Make mine white cheddar, extra sharp!

49. zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Osich has been a nice Affeldt so far.

• chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Agreed, Zume.

50. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Another Giant-bumbino and Warrior-Spur double header today. Life does not suck in NorCal…

51. Lurker John said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:05 pm

What’s it been, 20 years since the W’s won in San Antonio? They are way overdue, but my prediction is that they lose a tight one today and beat the Griz Wednesday to tie the record. They can win down there during the playoffs. That said, I put nothing past these guys. They’ll probably blow me out of the water and win out.

• Lurker John said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:06 pm

God, that would piss Scottie Fucking Pippen off.

• zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:12 pm

A nice bonus! 🙂

• chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Scottie Pippen can suck on it. Fucking Douche…

52. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Sit down A-gone…

53. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:15 pm

BALLGAME! Another sweet come-from-behind win!

54. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Let’s Go Warriors! You can do this, boys!

55. Lurker John said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Nice bounce back win after a tough loss! 3 of 4 from the Dodgers!

• chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:17 pm

And it woulda been a sweep sans Specs bootin’ that DP ball yesterday…

56. Macdog said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Big comebacks by the Giants and Danny Willett!

And Kazmir was like Spieth on the 12th.

• chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:18 pm

I take it Spieth chocked on it like a rookie ho…

57. chipower9 said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Those are some wild-assed sneakers that Curry is sporting…

58. zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Great bounceback win from yesterday’s tough loss.

• zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Ha! LJ said it first.

59. gianthead said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Three out of four just as we wanted….I am playing my kid in his teenager fantasy head to head league and I had Cueto starting…lol for the win. But he then has Casilla and wins the saves category and we end up tied for the week 5-5…

60. snarkk said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:38 pm

I said the other day these guys might end up reminding more of the big red machine than anything else– more hitting and runs that outpace just ok pitching. I’d take a game like this all season long…

61. sandog said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Theon Greyjoy comes out of nowhere to win The Masters!

• zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Sounds like a character in Downton Abbey.

• gianthead said, on April 10, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Theon is missing some parts….

62. Carstie Clausen said, on April 10, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Last year somebody predicting that SF and LA would play a four-gamer and the two blowouts would have been caused by the long-ball; most folks would automatically have assumed that the priciest team in baseball was getting their money’s worth. One week in and its’ already a weird season. Check this out: With Belt and Pa-gone gone long today every single starter plus Bumgarner and double-ought buck have homered. This development was not even something the Flappers would have predicted.

Bullpen has been very tough so far. Just a couple hiccups in a week’s worth of games. With a nice 3-run lead Casilla atoned for the sins of yesterday. Cueto is a horse and when he gets on his game ~ which did not happen till the 2nd inning, he is one tough competitor ~ even in the cold and dank. Two of the five starters still need to get it together and thank goodness for the day off as the Box of Rox looms and Samwhatam starts out under the gun, to be followed by Peavy and Cain. We may be looking at a major slugging match in Denver.

63. Flavor said, on April 10, 2016 at 6:07 pm

this is funny.

64. Lurker John said, on April 10, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Chi, Spieth did commit a little chokage today, with a quadruple-bogey on the 12th hole. You read that right, quadruple-bogey. Ouch.

65. Lurker John said, on April 10, 2016 at 6:22 pm

ONE MORE WIN DUBS!

66. Lurker John said, on April 10, 2016 at 6:24 pm

33 loss streak at SA is OVER. FINALLY. Great game, great win, after a grinder in Memphis last night!

67. gianthead said, on April 10, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Man awesome Warriors game…heart of a champion…

68. zumiee said, on April 10, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Congrats to the Warriors! Great accomplishment, 72 wins and a chance for one more.

69. willedav said, on April 10, 2016 at 6:54 pm

One hella W in SA. Great finish after ugly first Q.
    37 from Steph scoring inside and out, tough team D shut down everyone except Aldridge.
    Spurs Gs just look overmatched vs. Curry Thompson and Livingston.

70. Flavor said, on April 10, 2016 at 7:22 pm

I hate the internet. All I read on twitter is a bunch of hate and bullshit about the Warriors and their accomplishments. What they’ve done so far this year is incredible. And this absurd notion that it’s ok for all these players to *rest* full games over and over at the end of the year is a joke. When did it become ok to bail on the end of the season? Just because you clinched a playoff spot? So what? The fans pay a LOT of money to see these guys play. You’re not being forced to run a damn marathon every day, go out and play a fucking game of basketball and like it.

• djloo27 said, on April 10, 2016 at 8:20 pm

It’s useful if you want to look up how many of your old friends, classmates and co-workers are dead.

71. unca_chuck said, on April 10, 2016 at 9:35 pm

I was actually surprised Pops didn’t rest more guys. That’s his usual MO. Then again, I haven’t seen many games where they aren’t playing the Dubs. He played it straight these last 2 Warrior games though.

If Kerr sat all the starters on Wednesday, I would have zero problem with that.

72. mrsprtdude said, on April 10, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Great day for SF sports today! 73 looking good. Love D Green and the joy he plays with! Beating LA after being down 5-0 is very cool!