Problems

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 15, 2016

This Romo thing is going to be an issue. I don’t believe for a second that this is just a situation where a tendon got *heated up*. Kruk says the Giants have ruled out TJ surgery and I also don’t believe that for a second. So, we need to prepare for and find someone to do his job–no small feat considering his important role. Derek Law may or may not be the answer.

Kershaw v Bum tonight. I don’t see how we score off this dude unless our pitcher once again provides the O or maybe if something fluky happens.

1. chipower9 said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:25 am

Well, I respect your opinion based on our medicos history, but the flip-side is that Romo has had similar issues in the past. I think our bullpen (and the pitchers we have in Sacto) provide the depth to get through this. The prognosis is that he will not throw for at least two weeks, and they will re-eval at that time. Flexor strains can be dicey.

I have heard that Gearrin will most likely get the nod for his spot, but Strickland is an option, too.

Equally, if not more alarming is Craw with a hip flexor issue, and Agent Zero fouling a ball off his foot. That is a big hit on the IF. Let’s hope both can return, soon. We are going to need to be loaded for bear heading into Smell A for a three game set.

• Flavor said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:31 am

I’d rather see Law than Gearrin get that spot.

• chipower9 said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:06 am

I am sure he will get consideration, and probably some opportunities. I am simply going on what I read online (that Gearrin will get most of Romo’s typical work).

2. Paul Sorensen said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:51 am

My rather new-found peaceful feeling this season about the hitters not generating runs until late in the game only works if the pitchers keep the game close. The arms will find their rhythm, might take another month or so, and obviously there could well be some changes both in the rotation and the ‘pen rather soon. As long as the hitters continue to produce, should be able to stay near the top of the division until the arms warm up. Usually it seems that pitchers start hotter than the hitters, but not this year….

• bassbaldy said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:24 am

I posted late last night, at the end of yesterday’s thread, that I had Looked over MLB’s ‘team’ stats. Giants are near the top in many offensive categories but near the bottom in most of the important pitching stats.

3. gianthead said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:58 am

The Giants will find a way against Kershaw tonight. I am a little worried about the Warriors being a little flat and mentally unfocused tomorrow for an oddly scheduled afternoon game. But regardless even with a loss, we should handle Houston in 6 at most. Shouldn’t Strickland be the automatic right-handed set-up arm?

And how about Broadway as the extra arm?

• zumiee said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:16 am

I agree with all of that.

The MLB Network is showing the Giants game tonight, and they’ve been pumping up the Bum/Kersh match-up. It would be cool to see an intense playoff-type game like the last time they met.
      I keep waiting for the Giants to someday really tag Kershaw for once. Put up 5 or 6 runs on him, but I guess it just isn’t going to happen in the near future. Too many of the Giants hitters just can’t hit the dude. Bum has to keep the game close, and turn it into a bullpen game.

• chipower9 said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:19 am

I seem to recall at least once in the past where the Giants roughed-up Opie pretty good. I will see if I can find any details. But yes, I agree…would be great to see the Giants deliver the knock-out punch to Kershaw early.

• chipower9 said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:22 am

Well shit, I am getting old (that’s my story and I am sticking to it!), so maybe my recollection of us teeing-off on Opie is not correct.

4. chipower9 said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:18 am

All I have read is that Gearrin will slide into Romo’s 7th and 8th inning role (this per Bochy). See the story here:

And in this article, it appears that Law will get the call to replace Romo on the 25:

5. chipower9 said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:24 am

I thought our boys had put a good whoopin’ on Opie at one point in the past, but I cannot find anything to that effect. But here is an interesting stat when we face Kershaw (this from an article in April 2013):

“Ten times Kershaw has allowed zero or one run to the Giants, and the Dodgers are 10-0. Kershaw is 8-0 with a 1.05 ERA in those starts.

Six times Kershaw has allowed two runs or more to the Giants, and the Dodgers are 0-6. Kershaw is 0-4 despite a 3.15 ERA in those starts.”

• bassbaldy said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:28 am

Fascinating Chi! Thx! … my god, I love stats!

6. Bozo said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:25 am

With Romo, they are reporting it is similar to what Cain had last year. Cain said that most of his rehab time was spent getting his pitch count back up, Romo probably wouldn’t need as much time. Everyone heals differently though, so who knows.

I would like to see Law as the one they call up. I think he could be a Closer, so lets get him up here and let him be the situational guy.

Did you guys see what Panda’s ex-trainer had to say about him? 21 lbs in 21 days, man, that is some serious gorging.

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 15, 2016 at 10:40 am

Law as a closer? Maybe. But if he’s got that icewater in his veins, i would opt for the Giants utilizing him as their fireman. To go with this i would like to see MLB stats people to consider something along the lines of a “douser” statistic referent to the traditional role of the fireman. The flipside to “douser” would be “gascan”, the role long-man/spot-starter Heston performed yesterday.

• Bozo said, on April 15, 2016 at 1:19 pm

I agree Stix, the long guy is a converted Starter, put the fire out and let him start the next inning. I think you, or someone else mentioned how Affeldt was that guy for us in the past, plus he could go a few innings and/or be used as a LOOGY if needed. Could Law fill that fireman role? Maybe, I’d just like to see him get a shot.
        But I also have to remember that Heston is new to this role, and he might take some time settling in to it. Maybe he will be able to put the fire out on his own going forward.

7. wilcojoe said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:28 am

I took my seven year old to the Astros-Royals game last night. We were three rows behind the Royals dugout on the aisle. Closest I have been to the dugout yet (at least in regards to a seat I actually paid for). Various Royals players were tossing balls to young fans in our area. At one point early in the game, Alcides Escobar made eye contact with my son and pointed his index finger in the air, as if to say, “hang in there kid, I will get you one.” I told Jack he needed to continue making eye contact with him and give a big smile every time he came off the field. Low and behold, during the 7th inning stretch, he motioned to Jack to come down to the dugout, where he rolled him a ball.
    My son got some high fives from the mostly Royal fans around us. That made his day, and mine too.

THAT is why baseball is the greatest game.

• bassbaldy said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:30 am

Beautiful!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:42 am

awesome, wilco!

• alleykat69 said, on April 15, 2016 at 10:53 am

A memory for a lifetime for your son WJ! Great stuff! Escobar will be his new hero!

• djloo27 said, on April 15, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Like me and Ron Herbel in ’65…

• chipower9 said, on April 15, 2016 at 10:47 am

That is cool as hell, Wilco. I am happy for you and your son. He must have been ecstatic!

• unca_chuck said, on April 15, 2016 at 11:03 am

Were you in your Giants gear?

• wilcojoe said, on April 15, 2016 at 11:27 am

No, but I thought about wearing my Giants Pence jersey.

8. Flavor said, on April 15, 2016 at 10:11 am

that’s a great story, Wilco. You always come back from an Astro game with a good one….
    Chi— Gearrin is not the answer, I don’t care what Bochy is saying publicly. I think the Giants want Law to get a shot but don’t want to put the pressure on him by *outing* the idea to the press. But he’s a better pitcher than Gearrin and if they’re smart they’ll give Law the opportunity….

• chipower9 said, on April 15, 2016 at 10:48 am

Hey – you may be right. I am just reporting what I read (which was a direct quote from Bochy). I agree that I think Law is more suited (than Gearrin) for those late innings that Romo has gotten traditionally. I also think that Strickland should get a shot.

9. Lurker John said, on April 15, 2016 at 11:28 am

Great story for your son, Wilco. As someone who can speak from a similar experience, I guarantee he’ll never forget it. Escobar, with a simple gesture, gave him an indelible memory. Very cool.

10. Lurker John said, on April 15, 2016 at 11:36 am

The Sandoval story is so sad that it seems unreal. His career in Boston never even got off the ground before his weight became and issue. All that information was out there and it baffles me why they simply didn’t contact someone from the Giant’s camp, or even so a simple fucking web search. Were they so starry-eyed that they just forked over $95M without a second thought?

I guarantee the weight issue was a big part of his leaving. You know the Giants were insisting that he continue to be monitored for his eating and have that chef keep preparing all of his meals. Don’t feel all that bad for the Sox because they didn’t vet him, but they are on the hook for every penny of that $95M and Pablo’s got them bent over the dugout railing at the Fens and is fucking them right up the ass. Grow up dude.

• chipower9 said, on April 15, 2016 at 2:48 pm

I loved Pablo’s energy, and will always appreciate what he did in helping our boys win a couple of titles. But I am SO HAPPY that he is someone else’s headache, now. I was ECSTATIC when the Giants did not sign him…especially to a long-term deal for big money. You are right…he needs to grow the fuck up and be responsible.

11. zumiee said, on April 15, 2016 at 11:51 am

“THAT is why baseball is the greatest game.”

Very cool, Wilco!

12. unca_chuck said, on April 15, 2016 at 11:56 am

GH, the Warriors are flat? They beat SA in home and home games to close out the season. They are finally getting healthy with Festivus and Iggy back on the floor. They are getting whole at the right time.

• zumiee said, on April 15, 2016 at 11:58 am

It’s just the weird start-time, noon, that’s the concern. Even Kerr wasn’t digging it. He’ll probably use that to motivate the team even more. “The league is disrespecting you by giving you a game in the middle of the day. Go out and take it out on the Rockets!”

• unca_chuck said, on April 15, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Hey, they actually had 2 days off before and after their last game. They haven’t had that since the All star break. And even that wasn’t wasn’t a break for Steph, Klay, and Draymond.

• chipower9 said, on April 15, 2016 at 2:50 pm

These guys have heard the pundits all year, and especially down the stretch while they made a run at 73. Now, they smell blood, and want to shove it up the asses of all the haters who thought they were a fluke. This team will be FOCUSED and on a mission. I think they sweep the Rockets…Rockets may get one win.

• Lurker John said, on April 15, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Agree Chuck. A week ago I wasn’t so sure (after the T-Wolves loss), but the last four games sold me. With the record now behind them, they’ll be raring to go for the playoffs.

13. zumiee said, on April 15, 2016 at 11:57 am

Regarding the Red Sox, Ortiz put in a good word for signing Sandoval and Hanley, and the GM visualized those 3 spurring each other on to greatness. This season, Ortiz has been noticeably silent about Pablo. Ortiz doesn’t need any of that drama during his victory-lap retirement season.
    The GM lost his job, and the new GM has zero patience with the Pablo drama.

14. Flavor said, on April 15, 2016 at 1:06 pm

leading off for the Phillies today…..Pawlie sit down and deeply inhale into a brown paper bag……MANNY BURRISS!

• wilcojoe said, on April 15, 2016 at 1:16 pm

LoL

• Flavor said, on April 15, 2016 at 1:59 pm

he’s only $2500 at DK and he qualifies at 2 positions. Who knows, maybe he gets on base and steals a bag. I put him on 2 of my 20 teams. And his cheapness allows me to start a particular pitcher on those 2 teams who’s name I will not name out loud. Call it insurance.

• Bozo said, on April 15, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Hah, that has my vote for POTD.

• chipower9 said, on April 15, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Gold!

• Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 5:57 pm

You might get a laugh out of this: http://tinyurl.com/hmjluxg

15. Flavor said, on April 15, 2016 at 1:58 pm

this is UNreal! “Snackers gonna snack…” that was gold.

• xoot said, on April 15, 2016 at 2:18 pm

In 2012 I saw reported sightings of Pablo late after home games at a taqueria in the Mission. One guy described him leaving with a huge bag of food. El Farolito? That may have been the one. He’s like an enormous child. If he’d re-signed with the Giants they might have kept him in control. The Red Sox may pull what the bums considered trying on Andruw J — rescind the contract. I don’t see the mlb arbitrator going for that, however. He’d get fired real quick.

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 15, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Chi fought the Law and the Law won.

• Flavor said, on April 15, 2016 at 2:13 pm

well, we’ll see if he takes his actual role. For now, just his spot on the roster. But I do think he will jump ahead of Gearrin when it comes to any meaningful game spots, 8th inning or otherwise.

• sandog said, on April 15, 2016 at 2:25 pm

They better not screw Gearrin over or he’s going to bludgeon someone to death with a fungo bat!

-Manny Burriss bit is awesome! As is Wilco’s Astro game experience. Alcides Escobar is a made man in my book from now on.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 15, 2016 at 2:30 pm

I’m not quite sold on Gearrin either.

• chipower9 said, on April 15, 2016 at 2:54 pm

I fought the Law and the Law won? Hey, I was the one who shared the link this morning saying that Law would get the call. I also was with Flav in saying I think he should get a shot at some of the late inning opportunities, but I will be surprised if Strickland does not get most of Romo’s action, until he proves he cannot cut it.

• Flavor said, on April 15, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Haha I was waiting for you to chime in on the law-line. For the record, I thought it was solid gold, Dirt.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 15, 2016 at 3:43 pm

I set that one up on the tee for you chi. lulz.

17. chipower9 said, on April 15, 2016 at 3:03 pm

“Snackers gonna snack.” Oh my god…that had me LMAO! And clamping down on room service for the Panda…that is hilarious. That dude needs some serious help.

• wilcojoe said, on April 15, 2016 at 3:21 pm

That was great. It made me think of a crucial scene in the movie Flight (great flick by the way) where the airline rep and attorney had to remove all the booze from Denzel Washington’s mini bar and kept a guard on watch by his door to ensure he didn’t fall of the wagon the night before his big court date. Spoiler alert: It didn’t work.

18. zumiee said, on April 15, 2016 at 3:17 pm

The Rockies are proving to be sneaky tough. They went into Wrigley today and snagged a win against the Cubs.

19. Flavor said, on April 15, 2016 at 3:23 pm

I just picked my kid up at school and I’m mack-daddying down on a big ol’ bag of salt and vinegar chips. She sits down in my car and I said (like a boss) “hey, snackers gotta snack.” She gave me a disapointed look and said “dad don’t ever say that again.”

20. Flavor said, on April 15, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Tomlinson AND Blanco in LU tonight. Kershaw gonna have double digit Ks tonight

• zumiee said, on April 15, 2016 at 3:34 pm

I’m always on edge until the Giants get their first hit against him.

• snarkk said, on April 15, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Secret weapons…

21. zumiee said, on April 15, 2016 at 3:38 pm

So far this season, it’s been the same old story:

Giants vs. Dodgers: 3-1
    Giants vs. NL West other teams: 1-2

Dodgers vs. Giants: 1-3
    Dodgers vs. NL West other teams: 5-1

22. chipower9 said, on April 15, 2016 at 3:56 pm

1. Angel Pagan (S) LF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Buster Posey (R) C
    4. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    5. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    6. Matt Duffy (R) 3B
    7. Kelby Tomlinson (R) SS
    8. Madison Bumgarner (R) P
    9. Gregor Blanco (L) CF

Agent Zero with fractured toe…out six weeks. Roster move (another) forthcoming….

• zumiee said, on April 15, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Christian Arroyo would be a fun move. I say go for it.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 15, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Gillaspie first maybe?

23. Flavor said, on April 15, 2016 at 4:35 pm

is it just me, or does Blade seem to take an awful lot of pics of his food?

24. alleykat69 said, on April 15, 2016 at 4:35 pm

My guess it will be Conor Gilliaspie called up..

25. alleykat69 said, on April 15, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Let’s hope Derek can restore some Law&Order in the BP..

• djloo27 said, on April 15, 2016 at 6:27 pm

I think it was the White Sox who once had Law and Orta…

• willedav said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:30 pm

yeah Loo. Rudy Law, local kid out of East Menlo hood.
        iirc Orta wanted to be called Jorge as you would say in in English, not like the Spanish

26. zumiee said, on April 15, 2016 at 4:56 pm

You guys are probably right; it will be Gillaspie. I forgot about him.

27. zumiee said, on April 15, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Maybe Gillaspie will actually crack a smile when he’s called up. He’s one of the most humorless-looking people I’ve ever seen in MLB.

• djloo27 said, on April 15, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Cody Ransom never smiled, ever…

• Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 6:34 pm

A career average of .213 will do that.

28. Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Looks like Mac Williamson gets the call.

• snarkk said, on April 15, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Nice, let him hack against Kershaw, he might get lucky…

29. Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:02 pm

I’m terrible with faces, so seeing all these #42s while watching Mets-Tribe is really annoying.

• djloo27 said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:07 pm

It’s baseball’s annual apology day…

30. djloo27 said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Why do the Giants have to wear #42? They should wear #20 and honor their own first black player.
    Let every team do that. You think Pumpsie Green had it easy?

• xoot said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Good idea. Call it African American Heritage day.

• Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I wonder who it would be for the D-Backs and Rays?

• djloo27 said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:29 pm

You could limit it to this:

All other NL teams can wear #42 and all other AL teams can wear Doby’s #14.

Doby’s the Buzz Aldrin of baseball…

• xoot said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm

For the DBacks, based on innings played, I think it would be Devon White (30)
        I have to admit that I think 42 one day all day is the best mlb can do. Marketing will always be an element.

• Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Loo, SNY showed this Doby quote during tonight’s Mets game in Cleveland. I had never seen it before:

“Jackie got all the publicity for putting up with the racial slurs. But, it was the same thing I had to deal with. The crap I took was just as bad. Nobody said ‘We’re gonna be nice to the second black.’ “

• djloo27 said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Never heard that either, Mac. I post this stuff about Doby every year. I can’t help it. The man came along 11 weeks later in the AL and is little more than the answer to a trivia question.

• Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Haha, I know, so I made sure to take it down.

31. willedav said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm

I know he hustles them all out and he got on yesterday when dlr couldn’t pick it up, but Pence sure hits a lot of dribblers for a guy who swings as hard as he does.

32. djloo27 said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Reynolds says Duffy reminds him of Jeff Kent.
    The man has obviously lost his fuckin’ mind…

33. djloo27 said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Did Kershaw always have that neck twitch or is there something wrong with him?

34. Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Dammit, that was more Panic than Panik.

35. Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 7:48 pm

WP!

36. djloo27 said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:04 pm

All these #42’s running around reminds me of this scene from the Three Amigos:

37. Flavor said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:11 pm

for you Bruce Jenkins fans, he wrote about Motown and growing up in Santa Monica. Random, I know. Here’s the link

38. Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:18 pm

4th inning and it’s already over.

39. Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:21 pm

What the fuck, my daughter’s softball team looked better today, and they lost 9-2.

40. Lurker John said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Why the hell does Kelby Tomlinson keep getting starts on the infield? He sucks!

41. willedav said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:23 pm

ah that’s messed up. Bum gets 2 gidps set up and Giants can’t get even 1 out and base hits behind them score Dodger runs. Specs setting himself up for some serious pine time.

42. Lurker John said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:23 pm

All it fucking takes is one fucking trip to Denver and the whole goddamn thing goes into a tailspin. Tomlinson is not major league ready on defense. He just isn’t. Had a guy dead to rights at second and didn’t know where the hell he was and he booted another DP grounder. WTF.

43. unca_chuck said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:23 pm

That was foul.

• Lurker John said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:25 pm

looked over the bag to me. Get Tomlinson the fuck out of the lineup. He’s overmatched.

• Lurker John said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Cost them a win last weekend and maybe another today. Sacramento time.

• Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 8:27 pm

I thought it was good, but does it really matter now?

44. xoot said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:07 pm

The injuries to the IF seem more important now than Romo’s elbow.

45. Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Gearrin the star of the game just for getting that annoying fucker to hit into a DP.

46. unca_chuck said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Kelby’s dead.

47. bassbaldy said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:22 pm

I know Bum got screwed by Specs a few times tonight but, overall, he hasn’t looked sharp so far this year .. seems like those ST eras from our SPs were not all that far off .. I mean a first swing dinger … not a good way to begin an evening facing Opie. Are our SPs ever gonna dominate a game outta the gate? This business of always having to come from behind ain’t gonna work for too long .. It may have already run its course.

48. Flavor said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:26 pm

LOLKNBR ‏@LOLKNBR 12s13 seconds ago
    Derek Law looks like the lovechild of Adam Sandler and Dave Burba.

49. Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Strikeout-Law.

50. Macdog said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Posey and Pence go down looking. Way to keep fightin’, guys.

51. bassbaldy said, on April 15, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Goodby first place .. hello 3rd … another shitty effort.

52. James said, on April 15, 2016 at 10:06 pm

I wonder how many pitchers have had more than 3 players hit 2 HRs in one game against them.

53. willedav said, on April 16, 2016 at 7:11 am

one of the pregame talking heads on csn said something about going after Kershaw early.
    One inning alone Giants let 4 called strikes on first pitch go by and then swung at the curve in the dirt.
    Why allow a guy that good to begin with get ahead in the count?
    Sure there is a value to taking pitches BUT not if the first one is the best pitch you see—like Hernandez.