A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Forgettable, Regrettable

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 25, 2016

I missed most of yesterday’s game catching some of it on the radio. Each time I tuned in Jon Miller was doing a different type of flabbergast at the hitters and their inability to drive in runs when presented with the opportunity.

A quick check of the team stats? Sounds like a plan. Stats that stood out:

Trevor Brown has more RBI’s than Buster Posey (7>6).

Brandon Crawford has 1 more RBI than Jeff Samardzija (4>3).

Eh, I’m not in the mood to keep going.

How’s Steph’s knee?

Also…..

Happy Birthday Unca Chuck!

1. blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:24 am

“We should’ve won the game, but we didn’t,” said second baseman Joe Panik, who struck out after Pagan tapped out to tamp down a golden chance in the eighth inning. “Even though it’s April, these are games you’ve got to win. All these games will count in our division. All these games matter. That’s why it’s frustrating.

“This is a game we should’ve put away and we just didn’t get it done.”

Panik has been here since June 21, 2014 and THIS PISSES HIM OFF.

Why aren’t our so-called leaders – Posey, Crawford, Pence, Pagan, Belt, Cain – saying shit? Especially Posey and Pagan – arguably, the two most responsible for yesterday’s loss, e.g., Pagan’s fielding flub and Posey hitting into the double play. Same deal with Cain . . . Tired of the “no comments” and disappearing into the showers.

• Flavor said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:06 am

I wonder how much to put on the beat writers who seem to almost be afraid of these guys (in terms of asking tough questions). I don’t know the answer to this I’m just bringing it up to consider. FOr instance, are we sure they are issuing “no comment?” Or are they not even getting asked the question?

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:54 am

Good point. I dunno. However, I like the fact that Panik is not afraid to call a spade a spade.

• wilcojoe said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:29 am

Speaking of beat writers, the Astros had a great young one at the Houston Chronicle named Evan Drellich. He was never afraid to ask the tough questions to players and management. He wrote a lot of very critical but accurate stories questioning some of their decisons. I just found out he is now at the Boston Herald covering the Red Sox, when I caught an article he wrote about Panda’s trainer and his obsession with food.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:34 am

Just one of many reasons that Panik has become my favorite Giant. Even with the caught looking in the 8th (you have got to swing at ANYTHING CLOSE THERE), I really like the way this kid plays the game.

2. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:12 am

Yeah, the lob thing reminds me of 2008 when we were batting .280 as a team but near the bottom scoring runs.

I think James blamed it on the pitching then, too!

And yeah it is the heart of the lineup that is not pulling their weight. Posey especially.

3. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:13 am

Thanks, Flav. Speaking of old gear . . .

4. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:17 am

And yeah Baggerly was ostracized after trying to talk to Romo about the fight with Dunston, so yeah, they know they stand the chance to get stonewalled should they ask anything too negative. Like Pablito is finding out, you get kid-glove treatment from the press around these parts.

Speaking of press, check out Draymond green yesterday responding to some whack job reporter from Houston. It is unreal.

• wilcojoe said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:31 am

Yeah, Draymomd is getting a lot of praise down here for how he handled that. Total dick move by that reporter. Still trying to figure out who it was.

5. blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:55 am

Happy birthday Chuck!

6. chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:10 am

Happy Birthday, Charlie! Do yourself a favor, and have your wife and kids buy you a birthday gift (get some airfare to Boston on July 19th), and join Blade and me on the Right Coast Flapalooza/Trip to Mecca.

Shoulda. Coulda. Woulda. Fuck yeah they should have won that game. The opportunities were there. I was sitting there after the 8th inning (last missed opportunity to win), and was feeling all “Deja Vu All Over Again.” I remember a few years back during that stretch when the Giants struggled like hell to score runs, and especially struggled with RISP, and…

Boy, I was busy as hell this weekend, and didn’t make it on the Flap, but saw the title of the last thread about old Giant duds.

I have a t-shirt from the final series at The Stick (we closed that bad boy out with a series against the hated bambinos), a t-shirt from the ground breaking for the new yard, and a T from the first Opening Day at Pac Bell. I also have a really old pullover sweatshirt (no hoodie) that has a really cool Giants emblem embroidered on it. Like your shirt Flav, while the sweatshirt is black, it looks more gray.

Okay, time to sweep fucking Dago.

7. willedav said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:23 am

I thought Posey had couple crucial misplays that cost Giants.

First, he’s up with 1 out and runners on first and third. Instead of delivering a sac fly and a run, he goes GIDP.
    Get the run in! As a plodder the one thing you can’t do is hit a groundball to left side of the IF in that situation.

Second, after Gordon had singled (off Cain hanger in middle of plate) and stole second and third and after walk to Osuna came the other play that bugged me. Yelich hits one hopper to Posey who was wide of but in closer than 1b. Gordon took off for the plate but Posey decided to try and turn 2 with Cain covering for a 3-6-1 that Yelich beat out. 3-6-1 DP with a quick LH at the plate was not gonna be easy turn.
    Gordon would have been dead at the plate easily with decent throw.
    Sure you get 2 you are out of the inning and even if they get Gordon you are still 2 out/2 on with Stanton up, but it wound up costing the Giants a run he could have prevented from scoring.

But maybe no one asked him about it.
    Hard to see the encouragement over 10 hits and 2 walks given up by Cain. And he didn’t get Cained either as Giants tied the game up only for Osich to lose it.

• Macdog said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:50 am

I head the Posey attempt at a DP on the radio, and when they didn’t get it — and it certainly sounded like a tough one to pull off — my first thought was could he have gotten Gordon out at home and prevented the run. Of course, the radio guy — I think it was Flemming — made no mention of the other option, so I’m glad you cleared that one up for me.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:30 am

I had the same thoughts. I was also listening on the radio, and Fleming did say the throw was just a bit high. Who knows, with a more accurate throw, maybe they turn two. But not watching the game on the boob tube, it was hard to know if they had a play on Gordon at the plate. Any way you slice it, it was frustrating.

8. zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:27 am

Someone from my group had to drop out of the Wed. game. If any of you are interested in the ticket, let me know.
    Club Level, $67. Day game.
    zumarust@earthlink.net

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:32 am

Arrrggghhh . . . I already committed to going to the City with my 3 aunts on Wednesday. Big, big mistake in lieu of this offer. 😦

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:32 am

Blade – is that a cough you are developing (you know, that would cause you to reschedule your day with your aunts). 😉

I have been with Zumiee a few times…those are some good seats.

9. blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:19 am

I always liked Richard Justice WJ . . . Not certain if he is still working for a Texas publication and/or ESPN.

• wilcojoe said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:30 am

I think he is with MLB.com

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:36 am

Dunno. I cut the cord years ago, so only watch both on the internet and then, only when they have a Giants game on for free.

10. blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:23 am

Byron Scott fired from the “ship of fools” (otherwise known as the Lakers). Talent bereft roster will be like garlic to a vampire, insofar as a talented coach considering a job there.

• Flavor said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:50 am

love it. I couldn’t stand that pompous fuck.

11. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:40 am

Yeah, completely expected. With Kobe gone, his life raft left as well.

12. zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 11:57 am

Billy Martin learned to play baseball in Kenney Park in Berkeley, near where his family lived. It turns out that’s near San Pablo Ave., near where the Freight and Salvage music venue used to be until it moved near Shattuck Ave. in its new building. I saw many a concert at the old Freight and Salvage venue. The old building was kind of run-down, but it had its charms. The new building is terrific, more roomy, and the seats are more comfortable, but doesn’t have the cozy atmosphere the old building used to have.
    Here’s a little bit about Kenney Park I saw online:
    “The land for James Kenney Park was purchased by the City of Berkeley in 1917 for $8,000, and supplemented by a lot the City already owned. The park was named after Berkeley’s first fire chief, who was appointed in 1904 and served until his death in 1916.”
    In an otherwise rough neighborhood, the park actually had a pretty nice baseball field. Often some minor-leaguers and a few major leaguers played in pick-up games there during the off-season in the ’30s and ’40s.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 25, 2016 at 12:02 pm

I was in Berkeley recently for a pop up restaurant put on by an old friend. The Berkeley Square is now an international day care facility.

• zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 12:08 pm

I never went to a concert at the Berkeley Square. That’s one of the Bay Area venues that I missed. I never saw a show at the Winterland either.
        I saw a show at a club called One Step Beyond in San Jose that I don’t think exists anymore. It had a cool cavern vibe to it. I saw the group Living Color perform there.

• unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Aaaak!! No shit? Saw a ton of shows there in the 70s and 80s. I think I saw the Pretenders there 3 times. Shriekback and King Crimson as well. Yellowman playing with Eeek-a-Mouse was epic.

Funny thing is, my daughter’s boyfriend bought me a tshirt that says: ‘I may be old but I saw all the cool bands.’

And yes I am old.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 25, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Yeah, chuck I couldn’t believe it. I was staying in a hotel down the street. If I didn’t notice the sign that is still there I would of walked right by. Between the Omni, Berkeley Square and Slims I saw a lot of local bands.

• unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Slims was a fave . . . One epic night a friend of mine and I went to see Adrian Belew, and my GF and his proceeded to piss off the bartender somehow. Little did we know he fed them drinks til they were plowed. Halfway home I was holding her hair on the side of the freeway.

13. gianthead said, on April 25, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Happy BDAY Chuck..my wife’s was yesterday.

Great Game of Thrones premiere….very interesting to see where they are taking the show without any knowledge by the Legion of readers….

14. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Thanks, GH. Jon Snow’s ultimate fate remains undetermined. And the previews for next week were more telling than the episode.

15. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Just heard that Curry has a grade 1 knee strain. Which is the least damaging. Maybe the Clippers series gets dragged out, he’ll only miss one game.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Wow…that is fantastic news, if true.

16. blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Winterland was my stomping grounds . . . My friends and I would usually party with a bunch of really cool blacks, who lived in the neighborhood prior to going in. 9 times out of 10, I was shit faced before seeing the warm up band. I remember one time after ZZ Top’s Tres Hombres came out (1973?) waking up in the middle of their set, wondering WTF . . . What did I miss?

Ironically, when I quit drinking/drugging at 31, I essentially stopped going to concerts (maybe a half dozen after 1986). 🙂

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 1:39 pm

That would be tough for me (to stop going to concerts). I could not do it…I love live music too much!

17. chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 1:47 pm

I never caught any shows at Winterland, but did catch a lot of shows at Wolfgangs and also Last Day Saloon. Both have been closed for some time now…

• unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 3:57 pm

The Warfield as well was a great place to go . . .

18. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Saw Robin Trower a few times at the old Winterland. The Tubes as well. Keystone PA was great. Saw Neil Young there and the Jerry Garcia Band there a bunch of times. Neil Young would usually test out his big tours with shows at the Keystone. Saw the pre-show for the Rust Never Sleeps tour there (very loud), and then the RNS show at the Boarding House.

Loudest show had to have been ZZ Top. For the life of me I can’t remember where it was.

19. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 2:21 pm

New report says they’ll evaluate Steph’s knee in 2 weeks. . .

The Clippers w/o Steph will be difficult. Hopefully he comes back for the middle of the series.

20. bassbaldy said, on April 25, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Hey Chuck! I hear it’s your BIRTHDAY .. May it be a HAPPY one … and Wishing you MANY more to come!

21. Macdog said, on April 25, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Psyched to see Giants-Mets on Sunday. Not for anything the Giants are doing, but because it’ll be my first time seeing MadBum pitch (and hit). Syndergaard going for Mets, so that’ll be a good matchup.

22. chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Similar to what Unca reported…

Curry – out minimum of two weeks, at which time he will be re-evaluated. He could return sooner, if he heals quicker than expected.

23. chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 3:13 pm

For all you Flappers who love the pitcher in the 8 hole…

1. Denard Span (L) CF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Matt Duffy (R) 3B
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    6. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    7. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    8. Madison Bumgarner (R) P
    9. Angel Pagan (S) LF

24. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 3:47 pm

With Bummie I’m not so down in it.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys . . .

The double nickel ain’t nothing to celebrate but it does beat the alternative. . . .

• zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Happy birthday, dude!

• bassbaldy said, on April 25, 2016 at 4:02 pm

I heard recently, something to the effect: ‘when you are in your 20s all you do is care about what other people think of you, late 40s into your 50s, you don’t give a damn what they think of you. When you hit 60, you realize nobody is thinking of you’

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 25, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Sometimes retiredment in one’s 70’s can result in creative putzing in which you never seem to stick to one task, but bounce around more or less by intuitive impulse ~ actually getting more done overall than when keeping the old schnozzle to the grindstone. Go figure.

Cussin onaccounta i got stuck with three quarts of Norskie it took me that damned long to figure out something so simple.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Lisle, I so hope you are wrong there. I am just a bit over a year away. But, I can think I can tell you, with some assurance, that I will not fall into that category. I count my blessings every day….

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Stix – I LOVE your 5:59 post/rant! I am feeling it!

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Double Nickel?! Fuck, I KNEW I was older than you! Let me know when you catch up with me, Charlie! 😉

25. bassbaldy said, on April 25, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Stats for those interested …. other than Pagan, there are no Giants placing in the top 50 MLB individual offensive statistical categories (avg. obp. slg. ops.) Pagan places decently for runs & hits as does Panik. In other areas (rbi, hr, 2b), Pence & Belt place near the bottom 50 tied with a bunch of others for rbi but at least they make the list. Their totals are about half that of the league leaders.

Players who are in the top half are mostly from teams that are contending so far, eg. WAS, CHC, BAL, ARZ, CWS, LAD and of course, there are number from COL and few other outliers.

In pitching, only Cueto & Salmnopqrstjkza place in the top 50 (lower end) in era. Cueto is on the list in the 30s range in whip & SO. None of our pitchers make the top 50 for avg. against.

In the team stats the giants place a little better..

Overall, our pitching is mediocre and our situational hitting is generally poor. I realize it is only April but we are slowly digging ourselves into a hole that with each passing game is getting deeper and going to be harder to get out of. We got to get our millionaires to wake up and start playing some baseball at the level they are are being paid to do so.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Great post. I hear people say all the time after a tough April loss that it is “…early, don’t worry.” Bullshit, each game, regardless of when it is played, carry the same weight. If you miss the playoffs by ONE game, you can look at ANY of those losses, and they are all equal.

26. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 4:07 pm

I’m not as worried about the pitching as I am about the hitting. I don’t know why, but I feel like we are in pretty good shape with Bummie, Cueto and Smarge. Peavy even shows enough at times. Cain is the only true flop at this point. But we’ve lost more games due to not hitting than not pitching. At least that’s what it feels like. The pen should be helped by the infusion of the youngsters but we’ll see.

No matter how well you pitch, if you don’t score, you can’t win. To paraphrase something I heard somewhere!

• djloo27 said, on April 25, 2016 at 4:16 pm

A few years ago someone asked me if I ever feel bad about being “kind of a flop”.
      That someone was my mother.
      Lulz!

• zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Ah, moms. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:48 pm

You’ve gotta lover a mother’s love!

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Reference our “Flapalooza” shirts (based on Ferret’s poster), we score, we win! 😉

27. djloo27 said, on April 25, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Old people reminisce too much…

• zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Probably. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Define old people.

28. zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I’m glad I was born during an era when kids still really loved baseball. We talked baseball, we played baseball, we traded cards, we played baseball board games. We played pick-up games, and we umpired ourselves, and solved disputes very well. Sometimes a “do over” was called for. We didn’t need an adult there to resolve conflicts. There just wasn’t much conflict.
    Lots of kids in my neighborhood knew what a “Willie Mays catch” was, from the ’54 World Series. But, heck, this was in 1972 or so. How did we know what a Willie Mays catch was 18 years after it happened? It’s not like we saw lots of film footage of it. It was just knowledge that was passed down from older kids. And then you would see a photo of it in a baseball book.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Great post.

29. zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 5:03 pm

My mom was the classic mom standing out on the porch and just yelling down the street for me to come home from playing when the sun was going down. She still has a strong voice. She just yells at her dogs now once in a while when they misbehave.

30. zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 5:11 pm

A lot of the boys in my neighborhood had much older dads. Men who were like 10-15 years older than their wives. My dad was 15 years older than my mom. So, you NEVER saw dads playing ball in my neighborhood with their kids. I only ever asked my dad one time to play ball with me, and he very nicely and apologetically said: “I could play ball with you today, but then I wouldn’t be able to go to work tomorrow.” It was that way with all the dads. It was a blue collar neighborhood. The dad of one of my friends took me to a few Giants games with them. That was very cool.

• djloo27 said, on April 25, 2016 at 5:22 pm

My dad was a pretty decent ballplayer and real good about “having a catch” with me.
      For some reason, I always felt like he was working on his screwball and his sinker (which he called a “drop”)…

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:51 pm

You are a VERY LUCKY MAN. Cherish those memories.

31. Flavor said, on April 25, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Zumiee, your last few posts really made my day today. Great read. You too Loo….
    I’m not sure if I can read anymore on the internet about Steph’s knee. People with zero first hand knowledge and no professional training or licensing acting like they know what’s up with his knee. They don’t. Steph doesn’t either. Same thing with the jokers on KNBR. Bob Fitzgerald is the absolute worst thing in the world.

• snarkk said, on April 25, 2016 at 5:38 pm

I heard a guy on radio this morning who was an MD claiming he could tell what an injury was and how long a player would be out by looking at vid of the injury. Supposedly has a website for this, claiming 95% accuracy. He said Steph prob had a grade 1 MCL and would be out at least two weeks. Danged if that’s what the Dubs later reported. I thought he was FOS, because he disclaimed everything with having not examined Steph.
      But he was pretty much spot on, as it turns out. Weird…

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:52 pm

I agree. Both Loo and Zumiee had kick-ass post this afternoon, and here I am still playing “catch-up” on the Flap!

32. Flavor said, on April 25, 2016 at 5:36 pm

my dad cruised when I was 10. Still lived in the area but wasn’t around much to “have a catch.” We played golf together tho. I was lucky enough to live on a street with a lot of kids growing up and I would say that we played baseball, whiffle ball, basketball or football in the street/someone’s driveway every single day of our lives after school or on the weekends until I was about 16 or so. I still have elbow problems that can be traced back to being able to throw some of the sickest whiffle ball junk pitches the world has ever seen. It was worth it.

• snarkk said, on April 25, 2016 at 5:45 pm

My dad was an Older Dad. He had played semi-pro baseball in Idaho in his younger days, as a pitcher, and talked about long ago games played against Mormon teams with beards and barnstorming teams from back east rolling through the West. In those days a curve was a drop and there was no such things as a slider, only varying degrees of a drop, and sometimes a spitter or screwball. As I pitched my LL team to a championship, he rarely attended my games, and gave me little instruction. My Mother attended, though….

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:56 pm

My story exactly. I could count the times, on one hand, when I had “a catch” with my dad. I did play some golf with him, and that was cool. And I am LMAO on the whiffle ball stories…we used to have some monumental whiffle ball games! And yes, we played touch football in the streets, and during the winters, we played tackle in the mud (I have a broken collar bone to prove it). Great stuff today from the Flap Universe on early life Flappage.

33. Paul Sorensen said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:16 pm

You all have seen more Giants action than I’m able to see, so I’m just wondering… the few games I did watch while I was back in the US last week, the batters just seemed tentative. I don’t know, their body language, facial expressions… they often looked to me like they were just trying to avoid making a mistake, they were letting the game come to them and then reacting, rather than taking it to the game with assertiveness and enthusiasm. Ok, that sounded WAY too touchy feely, but to me, they didn’t have the *look* of champions. Does Bochy or someone need to remind them that they ARE champions, and trying to be so again, so start getting that swagger back? Just an observation, I haven’t seen much to know, but I wish they’d appear to be less cautious and tentative, and instead get up there ready to swing that bat and do some damage….

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:59 pm

I had not seen it in that light, but now that you say it, I could see the plausibility. They do not have that “Champion Blood” that Pence talked about a couple of years ago. They need that.

34. chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Boy was I surprised. I typically do not watch a lot of Giants pre-game on CSNBA, but I tuned-in today, as Tim Flannery is back for spell, and I really respect him as a baseball man. One of the topics that they were discussing is hitting with RISP. I was surprised to hear that the Giants rank 5th. Damn, I must be watching ONLY the games in which they are sucking balls with RISP! Anyway, a sweep of Dago would be exactly what the doctor ordered.

35. Flavor said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:39 pm

I just texted San Dawg to get into this thread since his dad was older than most dads and he texted back:
    “I will get there. I’m drinking Budweiser and deep frying some fish for the first time ever right now…”
    That is unadulterated text gold!

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:00 pm

That is PURE FUCKING GOLD! I am laughing fucking out loud right now…cannot wait to hear him chime in on the topic…

36. Paul Sorensen said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:46 pm

My Dad (who died exactly one year ago today….) was an older Dad too, 40 years older than me. I do remember the occasional catch on the front lawn, and have some fond memories of him taking me to the games, from my very first game (Yankee Stadium in ’61 as a young boy) to the last time when I was a teenager and not into hanging with the parents at all anymore when he convinced me to go one more time with him, to Shea because the Braves were in town and it would probably be a last chance to see Aaron play (he hit a homer that game, no less). Mostly in his later years, just a lot of watching it on the tube when I’d visit the ‘rents. Watched him go thru many stages of anguish about his Phils. Was visiting them in 2010 and watching with him when Wilson struck out Howard. I had to go outside the house to rejoice at the sky, didn’t want to rub it in….. Miss my Pops every day.

• Flavor said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:53 pm

wow, 1 year ago today? That’s crazy that we started randomly talking about this 1 year to the date of your dad passing. It’s funny how real life and circumstances and the universe intersect sometimes…..
      Easiest of dumps into the POTD-best of.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:00 pm

I remember the day, Paul. I continue to wish you peace and comfort in that regards.

37. Flavor said, on April 25, 2016 at 6:59 pm

every now and then I start re-reading the POTD-best of. I rarely get through it, it can be overwhelming. Go read TedSpe at #21. He was a straight up maniac, I miss that dude….

38. sandog said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:08 pm

The third piece of my deep fried fish was not bad, the first two–decent at best. I’m actually not a big fan of deep fried food, but something got into me and I wanted to take a crack at it.
    Yeah, my dad was 42 when I was born. He had very poor vision in one eye and wasn’t real coordinated, so a game of catch could be a tough deal for him. I do have some great memories though of playing catch with him in the front yard in San Luis Obispo when I was maybe 7 or 8. He always got a kick out of recalling how I always pretended to be Tug McGraw when we played catch. Why Tug? I had his BB card and I thought it was a cool name. Bobby Valentine was the other guy my older bro says I always talked about as a kid and I think that was also because I thought his name was so damn cool. Still do. Pawlie and I touched on this when I first posted on Flap 1.0. They are both from Stamford.

• Flavor said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:18 pm

I loved the names of players from the 70’s. Bake McBride was one of my favorite names. I even liked *Gary Thomasson” but only because his last name never made sense to me. I didn’t understand why it was spelled that way. I was like 6 years old trying to figure all that out. lol.
      Diggity, I applaud your attempt at frying fish. Twin would have a great opinion about this if he were still reading the blog. My advice? Fry the shit out of it and drown it in tarter sauce……

• zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:34 pm

I have Bake McBride’s autograph on the oldest piece of baseball memorabilia I own: a Modesto Reds game program. They used to be a Reds affiliate before that, but became a Cardinals affiliate and kept the name “Reds” for some reason. That’s when McBride was there. Then later they were the Modesto A’s, and now the Modesto Nuts, a Rockies affiliate. Always a Single A team in the California League.

• Flavor said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:37 pm

that’s fantastic, don’t ever lose it.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:04 pm

If there ever was a “baseball player’s name,” Tug McGraw was certainly one of them! Cool story.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:07 pm

One of the most key factors to fried fish (fried anything, really) is the coating. I go milk (almond), flour, egg, and panko. And the temp of your oil is critical, too. Peanut oil stands-up to heat the best, IMO. Would love to hear Twin’s spin on this…it would be good!

39. sandog said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Buster sitting on 2 strike breaking ball ala Eric Davis–another big time guess hitter.

40. blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:34 pm

A friend of mine described aging this way, when I asked him why he rarely went out with women and was becoming a hermit at his Colorado mountain home . . .

“I’m becoming the invisible man. Women notice me less and less each day.”

Lulz

41. Paul Sorensen said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Yeah, aging, huh…. I can measure it in terms of my time over here teaching at universities in Asia. When I first was doing this 12 years ago, the girl students called me Big Brother. (No jokes about how many or few of them were interested in Little Brother…). Then a handful of years ago I noticed they were calling me Papa Paul. Ouch, from big brother to Papa. Now? Some of them call me Grandpa Paul. Double ouch. They’re still noticing me, but in starkly different ways…. 🙂 That said, there is this one 24 year old who, being an old soul in a young lovely body and going completely against VNmese tradition, has decided she’s not interested in getting married or having kids and instead wants an *experienced* foreigner boyfriend. Hmmmm…..

• Flavor said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I just counted 4 songs by Foreigner, off the top of my head, that would caption this post. lol

• Paul Sorensen said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:56 pm

lulz…. I guess for me as an aging but *experienced* foreigner over here, Don’t Stop Believin’ would have to be my anthem…..

• Flavor said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:03 pm

well, that’s Journey but I guess that falls under the same categories.

42. zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:54 pm

You guys think Luke Walton will end up with the Laker job? I’ll go 90% chance.

• Flavor said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:03 pm

ugh, I hope not but I guess that makes a lot of sense.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Probably, but I hate the thought of it.

43. zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 7:56 pm

That Modesto Red program I have also has Mike Tyson’s autograph on it, if you remember him. Not the boxer, obviously. 🙂

44. blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Awesome posts regarding growing up, especially related to Zumie’s 4:56pm and 5:11pm posts. In my Sunnyvale neighborhood, we talked, ate, and slept baseball, when we weren’t actually playing it 24/7 in the spring, summer and fall . . . Then football and basketball would intrude for a few months and we would play those games.

Similarly, we had a lot of kids in our neighborhood a la Flav’s post @ 5:36pm. Consequently, there were always games being played – both street and at the park, e.g., tag, baseball, street football, etc. I remember sleepovers with my best friend at 10, 11, and 12 years old . . . After the ping pong games, Risk and Monopoly games were over – we would talk baseball late into the night prior to going to sleep. Essentially, day dreaming about eventually being major league baseball players. Of course, we had zero talent compared to some kids at our school and neighborhood – who actually had a chance to achieve that . . . It was just fun to imagine it though. I remember his 3 sisters telling us to shut the hell up, as it was usually past 2am before we finally fell asleep. Good times.

Also, I relate to what Zum said about the dads in the neighborhood being old and unable to play. Maybe I am imagining this, but I don’t recall ANYONE over 30 working out at a gym back then. All the dads looked like they were a week or two from a heart attack. Drinking, smoking, eating was their exercise of choice.

• Flavor said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:05 pm

I read your post and then I think of all the kids I saw today in the mall, not interacting but sitting next to each other, staring at their phones. Just so sad what phones and the internet have done to society. Fuck selfies.

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Exactly Flav . . . sad.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Absolutely! So damned sad!

• zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Yeah, the ‘Play 60’ ads are kind of sadly funny, telling kids to get some exercise. 60 minutes?! Sheesh, we were just getting started at 60 minutes when I was kid. I know society is probably not as safe now and all that. But still, those commercials are a trip.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Blade – I could have written that post talking about my experiences at the same age. Truly LMAO…great stuff. I can relate…

45. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Foreigner songs or . . .

Yeah, I can count on one fist the number of times I played catch with dad. He was more a ghost than an actual presence in our lives. A cypher.

Gawd is it impossible for these guys to hold a lead?

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:41 pm

You’re not the “Lone Ranger” Chuck . . . Mine too. A lot of anger growing up about that, but finally past it and forgave him before he passed away.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Yep. In my case it was because my dad worked a number of jobs, and then checked-out at 39. It is what it is, but it doesn’t mean it is easy. I think about it often, and probably will for the rest of my life. That is one reason I have been absolutely stoked to have had those types of moments with my own kids.

46. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Jesus

47. Paul Sorensen said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Yeah, Craig, I realized that after I posted, total brainfart on my part. Foreigner, Journey, always mixed those guys up. Or maybe the *aging* thing is finally manifesting itself post-haste….

• zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:36 pm

Easy to mix up Foreigner, Journey, Boston, and Styx.
      I actually saw Styx in concert at a county fair several years ago. My nephew was showing a steer that day.

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:57 pm

You mean a steer still has something to show? Wonder if they don’t call them that because they got a bum steer as boycalves.

48. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Kids aren’t the problem. It’s the parents. There are shitloads of kids playing shit like we did. Yeah its organized and structured and shit, but there are kids doing shit. And a lot of slugs. They were just hanging in pool halls playing video games.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:52 pm

LMAO! I played my fair share of pool at the YMCA as kid, and we also used to hang out at the local Greyhound station and wear the living shit out of the one lonely pinball machine there, too.

49. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Fuck. That’s one way to keep from leaving men on base. 60 pitches in 3 and we have 1 run.

50. willedav said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:26 pm

my uncle was a pretty good ball player. Dad was into it too so there was all kind of equipment in garage and all of us played catch and threw bp to each other, even my little sister.
    Once 8th grade hit I ran into a group of guys that would play wiffle ball, street football at night and b-ball,mostly 2 on 2. B-ball we’d play 2 on 2 to 100. Later in HS same thing, different group of guys playing 2 on 2 all night.
    I had lot better bat speed and luck hitting a wiffle ball than a hardball for much distance.

in the 80s a group of used to play the baseball board game Statis Pro and Bake McBride’s last season I remember because he was on Indians and hit .360 in limited action—great card!

51. alleykat69 said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Freaking Melvin Upton has jackshit talent compared to his bro Justin.
    But he sure might have a better arm, he made Duffy look like Panda running as he gunned him down easily at 2nd..

• sandog said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Yeah, that was a freaking laser of a throw. I didn’t see that coming,

52. djloo27 said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Too much reminiscing aggravates me for some reason. My friends and family do it incessantly.
    Anyway, sometime in the late 60’s, my little crew and I stumbled onto a decrepit old couch someone tossed out in the street and we turned it into 2 sets of goalie pads that we used for years. What kid would do that today?
    I’m getting on my own nerves…

53. djloo27 said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:39 pm

The lost art of pulling the ball….

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Yes. Great AB…

54. chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:47 pm

El Caballo Loco!

55. sandog said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Mark Grant just gave a great demo of the knuckle curve Pomeranz throws. Burt Hooton’s out pitch. I always thought it was a cross between a knuckleball and a curve. It ain’t. I guess I should have known that.
    Man, Crazy Horse is having some nice games.

56. zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Belt was truckin’ around the bases!

57. zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Stanton went yard against the Dodgers.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Cool. Fuck the Dodgers.

58. Carstie Clausen said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Death of a thousand cuts has returned. Pomeranz the victim with 91 pitches through 4 innings. Just a matter of time before the Giants get their taste of Dago’s current bullpen. They have good ones in the past and some were outstanding. Another run or two off the starter first would be nice.

59. blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Glad to see Angel playing well . . . I think we are a far better team, when Blanco comes off the bench and he spells Crazy Horse 1-2 times a week. Both are playing good solid baseball.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Agree. I have always been a big Pagan fan. When he is clicking, the Giants usually kick ass!

60. djloo27 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Blanco strikes me as a guy who would play baseball anytime, anywhere for free…

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Ironically, I think you just described ALL Flappers.

61. djloo27 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:07 pm

What the fuck is wrong with their catcher?

• alleykat69 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:23 pm

The Padres asked him to play a position called catcher, guess he didn’t get the memo that you really need to catch the ball..

62. blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Loo, Mac, Peter, and/or Pawlie . . . Chi and I are sitting at “Main Infield 227 B | 2 tickets
    Row 4 | Seats 21, 22” Yankee stadium on July 22nd. Good seats? Any idea whether these are in the sun, shade, partial sun or shade?

• djloo27 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:24 pm

They look like pretty decent seats.
      The long range forecast is for a cloudy day, so don’t worry about that…

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:24 pm

lulz

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:27 pm

More worried about my hotel location and getting mugged in your “fair city.” For whatever reason, I keep thinking Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Mean streets and ending up in someone’s car trunk.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:38 pm

I told Blade I don’t give a fuck what the weather is like. I will wear a hat for the sun, or whatever. This may very well be my only game at Yankee Stadium, and sitting behind the Giant’s dugout…it is all good! Thanks again for scoring the tickets, Blade. I will have the Giant-Red Sox tickets by Friday. It is going to be one kick ass trip!

• snarkk said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:43 pm

ok blade, You talkin’ to me? You talkin’ to ME? …

63. djloo27 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Amy G may have just hit rock bottom…

• zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:25 pm

I liked her hot biker gal look the other night.

• sandog said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:31 pm

The Cher circa “Mask” look? I didn’t catch that, but I’m intrigued. The Pads version of Amy G ain’t hard on the eyes, I’ll tell you that.

64. snarkk said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:22 pm

When I was a kid I used to go to the Fresno Giants baseball games quite a bit in summer. The Cal league had two seasons then. The first half winner would play the second half winner for the championship. One year, probably around ’69, in one of the championship games in September or whenever it was, they ran a contest for who could come closest to guessing the first half home Giants attendance, and full regular season attendance. Winner of each got one of those Kodak instamatic cameras, the ones with the old flash cubes that you’d stick into the top of it and smelled like something burned up after you fired off a shot. Some of you more experienced guys will remember those. Anyway, I remembered seeing in the sports page of the paper a week or so before the “average” attendance for the Giants thus far at almost the end of the season, in small print somewhere in an article about the Giants. So, being the enterprising smartass kid that I was, I looked at the schedule for the season on my program, multiplied the number of home games for the half and whole season by the average I had read, and submitted the two numbers on the paper they handed out in the stands if you wanted to play the contest. Around the 7th inning stretch or so, they announced over the loudspeaker who had won the two cameras. Little old me was announced as one of the winners! I was jacked, as any kid of 11 or 12 would be. So, I walked up there to the pressbox, and the dude said something like “good job, kid, you actually were the closest on BOTH contests, but we can’t give both cameras to you, here’s the one.” So, instead of being happy, I was royally pissed off — if I had won both, I figured I should have gotten both cameras, and I could have sold or traded that second bad boy at school with one of my mates for something good. Burns me to this day… 😉

• zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:32 pm

And thus a career in law was spawned! 🙂

• snarkk said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:34 pm

I never did like to see people treated unfairly, including me…

• sandog said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Great story. Sounds like you had some snarkk in you even back then…

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:33 pm

State of the art back in the day . . . Selfies were a little awkward though.

• snarkk said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:34 pm

So YOU were the prick that won the other one!…

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:35 pm

lulz . . . sorry. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Golden.

65. unca_chuck said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Cute fruit bats … Yikes

Hoo. Couple ropes off of Bummie. Glad he got out of that with only one.

• bassbaldy said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Bum still looks a bit tight. Good thing Pads offense is a bit like ours .. not up to much!

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Yeah, excellent observation BB.

66. zumiee said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Span’s batting stance is quirky.

67. sandog said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Blade: how much were those bad boys? Stubhub or direct from the Yanks? I’m having some preliminary talks with family and friends about making my way back there for one of those games myself.
    Chuck: you might be back there too? And Happy Birthday, my man!

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:44 pm

San – it was about $135 per ticket, and that was via Stubhub. That includes the fees, taxes, and the “we have to bend you over the barrel” fees, etc. FYI – Stubhub “reverted” to an their old method of NOT listing all fees and taxes up front. I think for Blade’s order there was about $50 of “fees/taxes.” So beware, what you see as a price is not what you get in your invoice. I found this out first hand when I bought opening day tix via Stubhub.

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:59 pm

SD, do it man . . . That would be awesome to see you again. Same area – seats were as low as $73 (without the fees – about $40 total for 2 tickets).

68. bassbaldy said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:39 pm

With that last hit, Pagan (.361) overtakes Manny Machado for 5th spot in MLB BA. Not bad for 9th place hitter.

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Pagan should be our lead-off guy, IMO. Span needs to sit until he gets his head out of his ass…

69. snarkk said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:40 pm

I gotta give it to Pagan, he has to be the star of the show so far in the season, IMO. 3 for 3 tonite. The night I saw him in Phoenix, was his first real start of the Spring, and he looked like doggie crap out in the field. He’s improved, but still I think (witness yesterday) he’s just average out there, and is susceptible to the inexplicable brain fart every so often. But, I remember saying here that night that his wheels looked good, and that’s his bread and butter. If he can keep the knees from crapping out, I look forward to a good season from him offensively; after all it is a contract year…

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:46 pm

I am going to enjoy the ride, especially as long as he is going good, as this is certainly his last year with the Black and Orange.

70. djloo27 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Your Curry-less basketball team didn’t sound too convincing in that commercial.
    More like the Golden State Worriers…

• chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:56 pm

The Warriors, without Curry, are better than 90% of other NBA teams. I think they could win the next round against a team like the Clips, even without Curry. It would be a war, and probably go 7, but I think Golden State would win. Against the Cavs or Spurs? No Bueno.

71. snarkk said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Anybody notice that Miller and Kuiper are slowin’ down on the accuracy on their calls? Screwing up who’s hitting the HR (Miller’s Pence/Posey mixup), calling the wrong counts, mixing up a guy that’s on base with a guy that hasn’t hit yet, etc. It’s kinda nitpicky, but it is noticeable. If they keep this up, by the time they’re 88 like Scully, they’ll be calling a game of pinochle…

• blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 10:03 pm

lol

72. chipower9 said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Buster “It’s About Time” Posey! WHOOP!

73. snarkk said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Posey! ‘Bout damn time…

74. blade3colorado said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Buster!

75. Macdog said, on April 25, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Betcha Buster’s happy about that strike 2!