Zigging Against the Zaggers

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 27, 2016

Just a reminder, Cueto and Samardzija got ranked by most pundits who pundit this sort of thing as 2 of the 5 worst free agent signings of the Winter.

Where would we be without them?

And why can’t we seem to score at AT&T?

______________

I was just cleaning up my clogged desktop screen and I found this. It’s Jayson Stark’s list of worst free agent signings from interviews he did with baseball excecs

cueto

1. chipower9 said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:05 am

Fuck the pundits. Boy, did I pick the wrong night to take off watching a Giants game. I was whooped yesterday…long day at work, and then a killer workout session (she calls it Hells Circuit – ever got your ass kicked by a girl!?!), so I hit the rack early. Got up this morning to see that the Dreadlock Dandy threw a complete game shutout. 1-0. We Score. We Win! Yeah, I remember those days!

And Span gets the game winning knock. Maybe he is going to come around…I hope it is sooner rather than later.

Team is back to .500 and sniffing at 1st place.

• Lurker John said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:35 am

Yes. Yes I have gotten my ass kicked by a girl. A humbling experience. πŸ™‚

• chipower9 said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:38 am

Well, I must be a masochist, as I keep going back every week for more! BRUTAL circuit for an hour. Love her workouts!

2. Lurker John said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:30 am

A pundit is by nature someone who can’t do it themselves. The best can separate themselves from the that and provide objective, informed analysis. The rest are a bunch of wanna-be hacks. I’m with chi, fuck the pundits.

3. Lurker John said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:34 am

The Giants did a great job to salvage the home stand and get back to .500. Cueto is another in a long line of Latino pitchers who do a masterful job of commanding 4 pitches and using variations of those pitches to get what amounts to about 16 different pitches. He’s crafty, deceitful and cold-blooded. In other words, the perfect pitcher. I love him.

His changeup last night was filthy. Throw in the Tiant Twist and the ol’ Pads didn’t stand a chance. What a job.

4. chipower9 said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:37 am

I just caught-up with yesterday’s game thread. Thanks for the morning laugh re: the hotel stuff! Some of that was gold!

snarkk makes a good point about an apartment, but can we find something like that for two nights? We have time to find the right spot. And re: Loo’s post that Mac is the man to listen to, I am down with Joisey, too. My daughter usually stays in Jersey with a friend when she goes back to NY. It will all work out.

GH – hope your kid is okay (hockey stick to the gourd). Like Flav…be thankful it is only stitches. My daughter took a baseball bat to the forehead when she young (playing ball with all the neighborhood boys). She turned out fine. And I busted my head open on a couple of occasions (maybe that is what the hell is wrong with my brain). Anyway, hope he heals-up quickly…he will be fine.

5. snarkk said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:49 am

Chi- airbnb.com or VRBO.com for apartments, some will do two nights

• chipower9 said, on April 27, 2016 at 9:45 am

Awesome. Thanks, Tom!

6. Carstie Clausen said, on April 27, 2016 at 8:45 am

Dang. Bad timing again. Shared a few thoughts on last night’s game ~ particularly on Shields’ predicament ~ and on Cueto’s rise, at the tail scut of the previous thread. Gets hard to anticipate Flav’s postings. Just when you think you got it figured out he slips in that lefthanded screwball. Oh well, life in the big (flavor) leagues, i guess.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 27, 2016 at 9:05 am

The off season evaluations of Samardzija didn’t surprise me. I didn’t know what to think of a guy that was leading the league in hits given up and a 4.96 ERA. The negative reaction to the Cueto deal did though. It’s really a good risk for the Giants. Especially when you consider the 3 year opt out. Whatever. Even the expensive Sabevans dumpster dives come with risk. Early returns are promising.

8. Macdog said, on April 27, 2016 at 9:06 am

Even Kennedy’s doing okay with K.C. — 2.77 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, but he’s only 2-2 and got roughed up a bit his last time out. Madson looks like he’s off to a good start with the A’s.

Heyward? Not so good: .277 average after a 0-for-5 last night and zero HRs, although he’s hardly slowed down the Cubs.

• Macdog said, on April 27, 2016 at 9:07 am

Make that a .244 average.

9. Carstie Clausen said, on April 27, 2016 at 9:16 am

Cited a couple of pipeliners last week ~ both position players to watch, one at SJ and the other at Augusta. Here’s another: 3rd round (2014) pick from Oregon name of Dylan Davis, an outfielder who also pitched not so well as a fill-in in one game. Here’s the line: 20 hits in 64 ABs for a .313 BA. He’s scored 13 runs and driven 14, boosted along by 4 doubles, a pair of three-baggers and 4 dingalings. So half his knocks have been of the XBH variety. Good batting eye evinced by 11 walks to 17 strikeouts. OBP of 408, Slg at .625 adding to an OPS at 1.033 for the right-handed batter.

Except for San Jose, where four offensive players are showing some spice, Giants pipeline is a bit light on the fuel ~overall. But from the looks of Mac Williamson, raking at Sactown, and now one O.F. each at San Jose and Augusta, we may be looking at a talented and power-packed homegrown pasture in 3-4 years.

• chipower9 said, on April 27, 2016 at 9:47 am

Good stuff, Stix. Thanks!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 27, 2016 at 9:58 am

Good to hear about Davis. I was wondering about him recently. Here is his scouting report from the 2014 draft.

• Flavor said, on April 27, 2016 at 10:08 am

dude, you’re delving pretty deeply into our minor league pool if you had been “wondering about him lately.” lulz.
        (did I use lulz the right way?)

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 27, 2016 at 10:16 am

Yeah, I’ve been getting into minor league prospects lately. Davis stood out from 2014 for some reason.

1. He’s another Cape league guy that Sabevans appear to like. They place some sort of weighted value on Cape performance.

2. Coming out of Oregon he was this chubby dude that can hit. I don’t know why I find that interesting.

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Looks as if that power which the Digest was concerned about is confirming their assessment of him as a potential late bloomer. Of course this still is April, but a nice preliminary indicator nevertheless.

10. zumiee said, on April 27, 2016 at 10:31 am

On the BART, heading to the game.
    I see rain. Doh!
    Lots of Giants fans. I’ve shared a few knowing dude head nods.

• Flavor said, on April 27, 2016 at 10:59 am

if memory serves, you always bring home the W Zumiee. Make it so.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 27, 2016 at 10:44 am

High praise from Bochy regarding Cueto β€œHe’s the complete pitcher,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. β€œI love watching him pitch. He’s an artist.”

12. chipower9 said, on April 27, 2016 at 11:02 am

1. Denard Span (L) CF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Matt Duffy (R) 3B
    4. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    7. Angel Pagan (S) LF
    8. Trevor Brown (R) C
    9. Jeff Samardzija (R) P

Holy shit, we have the P in the 9 hole! No Buster today…day off, I assume. Pagan slides up to the 7 hole. Bochy shaking it all up a bit…

Beat the Friars!

13. Flavor said, on April 27, 2016 at 11:03 am

20 year anniversary of Barry joining 300/300 club.

• bassbaldy said, on April 27, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Wow! I cannot believe it’s 20 years! It was in ’95 I switched my allegiance from the Expos to the Giants.

14. zumiee said, on April 27, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Crawford’s on the cover of the April issue of Giants magazine, in a tux, looking like a movie star, and wearing a gold baseball glove. It’s a James Bond riff.

• wilcojoe said, on April 27, 2016 at 12:29 pm

That explains his slow start. It’s the ol’ Giants Magazine curse.

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 27, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Free game of the day at MLBTV

16. zumiee said, on April 27, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Smarge is a really big dude. Very much a former football player.

17. gianthead said, on April 27, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Thanks Flav and Chi and sorry if I missed any others. What sucked about the incident was a kid with a lot of issues struck my kid in the head with the stick after the other kid tripped in an after school sports camp and just smashed my kid in the head in retaliation. And of course, the school was trying to down play the incident on the phone until I got there and found out the circumstance that lead to the injury.

Thankfully it was on the forehead and not an eye in which he has gone through two surgeries. The problem child also lives a half block from us and has a long history of problems, grandparents raising him, mom has done jail time for drugs probably heroine related, abusive father. All of our neighbors had already banned the kid from our immediate neighborhood. Type of kid that I fear is going to go postal some day…

I turned in early last night around 4th or 5th inning. But masterful work by Cueto.

• chipower9 said, on April 27, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Good luck, GH. Get your son into a martial arts class…great for disciple, health, and he can learn how to take care of himself, if the need arises…

• unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Yeah, in general, the usual deal with a bully is to just stand up to the kid. Something I learned, and something I taught me son. Us being the beanpole types, the occasion did arise where shit happened and I told my son (and this was kindergarten) just push back and he’ll find someone else to mess with. It worked then, and it worked in high school for him as well.

Dealing with someone who is in a bad way like that kid, though is a whole different deal. Sorry to hear about that.

18. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:03 pm

The dreaded bases loaded no outs situation.

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Belt is such a pussy only hitting that ball 382′.

• chipower9 said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Trade Belt!

20. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Sac flies are better than GIDPs. A base hit would be nice though.

21. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:10 pm

THAT’S how you do it.

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Yeah, Pence now 7 for last 22 with three 2b, a 3B and two HR or something like that

23. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Posey is the last of the lollygaggers . . .

24. gianthead said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:31 pm

My kid is teeny as well for a 4th grader but tough as nails. One good thing is that schools today are much more on top of bullying but this situation was beyond that. This kid even has to take the special short yellow bus and he probably resents that…go Giants…sweep.

At least there is a chance that Fiorina becomes President:). It would only take them to run as a ticket as independents and then none of the candidates gets to 270 Electoral Votes, throwing the presidential election into the House of Reps. At the same time, the Senate independently picks a VP. Presumably the Senate remains in Republican hands (there is a possibility the Senate could end up split 50-50 after this election as well).

The vote in the House would be state by state (so it is possible some states could even have a tie vote) and if that vote ended in a tie, the elected VP by the Senate becomes the acting President until the tie is settled, which could presumably be never…

• gianthead said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:47 pm

I stand corrected, the House of Reps would have until March 4th to pick a president (the constitution is not exactly clear if it is March 4th the year after the election or if it is the following year). And if no president is picked then the VP becomes President. I presume then if the Senate ended up with a tied vote for VP, then the Speaker of the House would be acting President and then presumably the permanent president if the House had not decided by the March 4th date in whatever year….and this scenario is not from a movie…

• chipower9 said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:17 pm

If Fiorina become president, oh fuck…she would probably run the country into the ground the way she did HP. She and Trump could disappear from the fucking universe and I would not miss them one bit…fuck, I would be dancing in the streets! OK, enough politics…how about those Mets?!

25. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Ahhhhh. Come on, Smarge.

26. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Jesus. Get an out.

Fiorina was driven bodily from HP. Why would she be good at running the country?

• gianthead said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I’m not necessarily saying she would be good (but I think I can make a case why she would be better than Cruz, Trump or Hillary…..what a choice we are all stuck with), but I think a lot of the HP mess can be described as a battle with her Board who wanted to oust her as CEO. So not sure her HP history drags her down, shit Trump’s questionable financial history has certainly not hurt him yet (of course I think the Clinton Machine and the media are biting at the bit waiting to waste Trump once or if he is)….at least Fiorina also knows how to deliver a speech. Cruz was awful and long just introducing her. Hillary is usually pitiful on the stump and what Trump does behind a podium cannot be described as making a speech..

• unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Yeah, it truly is the evil of all lessers.

• unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:13 pm

She was her own worst enemy. The merger was a ludicrous idea. They STILL haven’t merged their enterprise server divisions and compete with themselves in that market. Now they split a different way. They basically flailed for 10 years as they dealt with the fallout of the merger and subsequent problems. Sure, they made it worse on themselves with the SAP guy by going after Palm, and disbanding that in 18 months (a $3 billion ooops), then EDS and then laying off 30,000 people, but she started the whole mes by pissing off the board in the first place. When Dave’s Packard’s son quit the board due to the direction she was taking the company, it didn’t look good.

I was there when she was ousted, and 2 things struck me:

1. People were literally dancing in the aisles when the news spread.
        2. They posted a guard in front of her picture in all the lobbies of the buildings till they were taken down.

• chipower9 said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Did not see your post, Charlie. My sentiments exactly. I would tell that bitch not to let the door hit her in the ass on the way out. And she can take Trump with her. Both are scary as hell!

27. bassbaldy said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Is it just me, coinkydink, or whatever .. that practically every pitcher we face is having a Cy Young contender game? Or is that our bats just suck?

• bassbaldy said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:58 pm

The must be reading this in the dugout.

28. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Fuck. We got 3 in the 1st, BB. We shouldn’t be getting beat. Smarge coughed it up.

• gianthead said, on April 27, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Wtf just happened with Alphabet??? He can’t hold 3 runs?

29. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Nope. He lost the strike zone. Gave up a lot of hard-hit balls.

30. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Shit. When we need Pagan . . .

31. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Smarge!!!

32. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Now Smarge is warmed up. Shut down inning time.

33. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Well, it worked, but Smarge is wild.

34. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Here we go.

Like this shit. Belt is crushing.

35. zumiee said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:35 pm

No-hitter except for that one inning. πŸ™‚

36. Flavor said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:44 pm

I’m telling you, Zumiee brings home the bacon and he frys it up in the pan. Dude never loses when he goes to a game.

• zumiee said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Well….a high percentage, I’ll say that. πŸ™‚

37. alleykat69 said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:47 pm

If we could only play the Padres all year we would go 162-0!!
    Belt needs a Bomb for the cycle, why not? Couple more AB’s I say he gets it..

38. zumiee said, on April 27, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Crawford’s playing despite soreness. He’s doing knee bends trying to get loose.

39. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Well, this ain’t quite over . . .

40. Macdog said, on April 27, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Sweeeeep!

Enjoy the runs & hits, because they ain’t doing that this weekend against the Mets pitchers.

• bassbaldy said, on April 27, 2016 at 4:09 pm

I fear you are soooooo right about that!

• Flavor said, on April 27, 2016 at 4:25 pm

send Zumiee to the damn game. When I put out the call for “Make it so” my main man Zumiee delivers 100% of the time.

• Macdog said, on April 27, 2016 at 6:13 pm

If Loo and I can meet up Sunday, we’re 1-0 at Citi Field.

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 27, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Nothing like today’s congaline outburst. But those bats have awakened and that listless offense may provide a nasty surprise or two for those young NY fireballers.

41. Flavor said, on April 27, 2016 at 4:37 pm

here’s what Anthony Davis just tweeted (hilarious)
    AD ‏@BamDavis_ 2m2 minutes ago
    The 49ers should Draft an Offensive Tackle in the top 10. #NFLDraft2016

42. Carstie Clausen said, on April 27, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Conga line trumps the long-ball. Though the Pads scored 6 of their nine runs on dingers and the Giants did not cash in a single tater; those tattoos of base knocks, including an exciting three triples and a pair of doubles along with 7 walks to 3 for SD; added up to that 13-9 victory. Shades of a 1957 contest between the Cubs and the Pirates with a score like that.

Duffmeister and that pair of Too Tall Texans had bang-up days at the plate, with the top 4 in the order accounting for the bulk of the runs scored and close to half the RBI’s, with Belt earning some of his salary raise with 5 of them. He was on HIS game in more ways than one. Essentially, BB9 is a slice hitter with moderately frequent pop. He put on a clinic with hard-hit liners. Our backup catcher may be hitting well enough to tempt Bochy to give Buster two days off per week ~ particularly during the first 3-4 months of the season. Imagine a well rested Posey in late September and the next month as well.

• Flavor said, on April 27, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Posey gets plenty of rest. I’m not a big Buster Posey fan. Never have been.

• bassbaldy said, on April 27, 2016 at 6:14 pm

I’m with you on that Flav .. I’ve become less of a Posey fan in the past year.

He needs to be out there and earn that big paycheck .. Sure, he is a very good defensive catcher and handles the staff well but he is being paid for more than just that .. He is earning at an elite level and I want to see the offensive numbers reflect that and I want to see it consistently … Everybody slumps sometimes, but a big stars pay is commensurate with their ability to rise to the occasion and carry the team when necessary .. I’m still waiting to see that from Posey.

• Flavor said, on April 27, 2016 at 6:32 pm

you and I will be in the minority on this.

• djloo27 said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Minority? You may be the only two.
        Anybody remember when they thought Dick Bertell was the answer?
        Catcher and shortstop are the 2 historically weakest positions in SFG history.

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2016 at 7:40 am

I can agree with you guys to an extent, but here is my prediction. Posey will hit near .300, have at least 85-90 RBI, and around 20 dingers. If he does that and stays healthy, I am good with that. During years he has not been hurt, the dude has been pretty consistent. And he, like Pence and a few others on this team, are definitely streaky. He will have his hot streaks, too…guarantee it.

His lifetime averages:
        .309, .374, .417, .856 while averaging 33 doubles, 22 taters, and 95 RBIs. If he is sniffing these numbers consistently, I am good with that.

43. Flavor said, on April 27, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Tyler Collins got set to AAA. I’m actually shocked this stuff doesn’t happen more often. Dumb baseball players are getting the shit booed out of them and they don’t snap and flip off the entire stadium? I guess Collins must just be a little dumber than dumb….

44. James said, on April 27, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Why is everyone so jazzed about this W? 24 LOB, a season high. The next highest total:11.

• Flavor said, on April 27, 2016 at 6:54 pm

James it’s time for some “on pace to score how many runs” time. I don’t have the gumption to calculate that. Thoughts?

• James said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Let’s put it this way — if the pitching continues to sport a shitty ERA over 4, we are not going to the playoffs. If the offense performs just as it has until now, and the team ERA is a modestly successful 3.7, we win over 90 games easy.

• Flavor said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:09 pm

that’ll do, lqtm

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2016 at 7:41 am

lulz…

• unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2016 at 7:55 am

Hah!

• James said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Ok, team LOB 10, which is what must be tracked in baseball reference. So, second most egregious total of the season πŸ™‚

• bassbaldy said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Always fascinating stuff James! Thank You!

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2016 at 7:42 am

It is great to have a numbers guy around…thanks, James.

45. James said, on April 27, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Here are the stats for HOF catchers:

If Posey stays on pace for another 5 years or so, he’s better than most on this list.

46. Flavor said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Nolan Ryan’s strike out record is safe. It’s an all timer for the rest of time. CC Sabathia is the current closest of guys who are still playing and he has about half what Nolan ended up with and CC is completely done. Jake Peavy is 4th on the active list about 3600 shy.

• Flavor said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:08 pm

by the way, the reason I was even thinking about this is today is the anniversary of him taking over the top spot from Walter Johnson back in 1983…..

• bassbaldy said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Cannot recall if I ever mentioned it here but I saw Nolan’s last no hitter against the A’s in … 1991(?) I think it was … I was visiting the Bay Area from Montreal the year before I moved here (1992) so I’m pretty sure in was 1991 .. Too lazy to look it up.

• djloo27 said, on April 27, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Flav saw Halicki’s last no-no…

• bassbaldy said, on April 27, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Loo .. was the one I saw in 1991?… reason I ask is your reputation as the BB encyclopedia & steel trap memory is legendary.

• djloo27 said, on April 27, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Here it is, Lisle. I had to look it up. The steel trap is turning into plywood.

• Macdog said, on April 27, 2016 at 8:20 pm

BB: I’m pretty sure it was ’90 because I had just moved back east and sorta kicked myself for not sticking around long enough to see Ryan, who ended up throwing the no-hitter.

• Macdog said, on April 27, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Here’s the Ryan no-hitter at Oakland:

• bassbaldy said, on April 27, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Oh man, I know the feeling … my wife tells me I’m on the fast track to dementia .. And on that note … I looked it up just before you sent me the link … Nolan’s last no hitter (7th) was May 1, 1991 against Toronto .. I saw his penultimate (6th), June 11, 1990 against Oakland.

• bassbaldy said, on April 27, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Yes, thanks to both Dog & Loo for straightening me out on that.

Not much time to delve at present … Up to my eyeballs … House goes on the market Friday, first ‘open house on’ on Sunday .. Shit load of work to do … Ugh .. Thank the gods for baseball and this blog is all I got to say … Both are keeping me sane!

• djloo27 said, on April 27, 2016 at 8:53 pm

“Dog & Loo” sounds like the name of a comic strip. One with very few words…

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2016 at 7:43 am

The steel trap is turning into plywood…lmao…

47. sandog said, on April 27, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Flav, glad to see you came clean and admitted you don’t care much for Posey. I’ve suspected the same for years. I hardly think you’re in the minority around here, though. Year in, year out I’m always amazed how often he gets ripped on The Flap by many different posters.

• James said, on April 27, 2016 at 9:42 pm

I hate Fat Ass because of the countless times he’s robbed Belt of an RBI.

48. zumiee said, on April 27, 2016 at 9:45 pm

At the ballpark, on the main level, the 3 World Series trophies are on display, and the 3 rings, too, all behind security glass of some kind. I’ve already seen the trophies in person so it was cool to finally see the rings. The rings face towards a big window to catch sunlight during the day, and we got to see the sun hitting them. They are dazzling. They are huge and decadent-looking, but full of dazzle and sparkle.

• zumiee said, on April 27, 2016 at 9:56 pm

The ring display is behind the trophy display, facing the opposite direction.
      And, obviously I’d seen photos of the rings before, including great photos here at the Flap; but still it was really cool of the Giants to put them on display for people to see in person.

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2016 at 7:44 am

Club level?

49. zumiee said, on April 27, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Up 2-0, the Fish walk the bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th, but Gonzales flies out to end the inning.

50. Macdog said, on April 27, 2016 at 10:09 pm

I’m not sure which was worse today, the Padres’ pitching or the Rockets’ defense.

51. zumiee said, on April 27, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Fish sweep L.A.!

• Macdog said, on April 27, 2016 at 10:29 pm

They got one more tomorrow.

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2016 at 2:51 am

Oops!

52. snarkk said, on April 27, 2016 at 10:32 pm

This just in.
    Rockets are dogmeat…

53. snarkk said, on April 27, 2016 at 10:55 pm

Didn’t see the game today, just looking at highlights. Real pitchers duel. Hey, a win’s a win. And Belt, the slacker, only got 5 RBIs…

54. zumiee said, on April 28, 2016 at 7:00 am

Dodgers vs. Marlins is on the MLB Network tonight in certain parts of the nation.
    Fernandez vs, Maeda, an interesting pitching match-up.
    Can Donnie sweep 4 in L.A.? Hard to do, but he’s diggin’ already having won the series.

55. zumiee said, on April 28, 2016 at 7:08 am

The NL Rookie of the Year battle has started to underwhelm. Seager at .247 and Story at .241. Is there a third-party candidate out there?
    Although I’m guessing Seager gets some consistency eventually.

56. zumiee said, on April 28, 2016 at 7:11 am

Turner at .250 so far and no HRs in a season following knee surgery.

57. zumiee said, on April 28, 2016 at 7:29 am

Tolbert has been on KNBR for 20 years now. 20 years! I guess I need to stop thinking of him as kind of a new guy at the station.

58. chipower9 said, on April 28, 2016 at 7:45 am

Way to bring home another win, Zume! You are gold!

And how the fuck did the Rockets make the playoffs?!

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2016 at 7:52 am

16 teams making the playoffs is pretty ridiculous.

59. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2016 at 7:59 am

Everybody makes the playoffs in b-ball. Which makes the Warriors 16 year drought all the more egregious.

Well, that and the fact that Harden gets to the line 35 times a game.

Hard to believe thy got to the conference finals last year, but last season, Harden was playing well, and was very close to Curry in MVP voting, and play. Curry worked on his game after winning it all. Harden showed up this year fat and out of shape and McHale got canned for his crappiness to start the year.

60. zumiee said, on April 28, 2016 at 8:23 am

Chi, the rings and trophies are on the first level, which I think, technically, is called the Concourse. The trophies face outward toward the foot-traffic, and the rings are around behind it, so they can catch sunlight from the window.
    From what I understand, this is a permanent display. I hope it stays permanent.

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2016 at 8:27 am

It takes 2 different escalators to get to Club Level, so I walked over and saw the rings before I got on the second escalator.

61. wilcojoe said, on April 28, 2016 at 8:24 am

The Rockets are an embarrassment. I don’t even want my son to watch them as they set such a bad example. They fail to play defense, shoot only threes (terribly) and then fail to hustle on the transition. I couldn’t even imagine what I would do if I was a season ticket holder. There has to be a loophole for them to sue.

62. wilcojoe said, on April 28, 2016 at 8:32 am

Is Blade still in the Bay Area? I heard it’s snowing in Denver and I need to know if I should fade my hitters there? Need a little local knowledge.

• blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2016 at 8:50 am

Nope. In Sunnyvale WJ . . . Yes, it is a good idea to fade them today and Saturday (see below). By the by, Despite Story hitting a HR yesterday – he’s just another Coors creation. All his HRs have been at band boxes (Cincy) or hitter Meccas (home park and Arizona). His OBP, SOs, and inability to hit right handers – all putrid.

• blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2016 at 9:11 am

Also WJ . . . If Story keeps up his current pace (268) he would crush the single season strikeout record held by fellow Rockies team mate, Reynolds (223).

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2016 at 9:40 am

I remember when my childhood baseball hero Bobby Bonds got a lot of grief for his 189 strikeout season. People talked like it was an insurmountable number that would never be topped. People tripped out on strikeouts a lot in those days. They missed the fact that Bonds also walked a lot and had several solid OBP seasons.
        Bonds would have been so happy to see his 189 K season beaten out by so many others now.

63. zumiee said, on April 28, 2016 at 9:44 am

The Dodgers’ bats having been flat since leaving Colorado makes you wonder how it affects visiting hitters after they leave Colorado. Maybe they start to get a little more upper-cut in their swing while they’re in Colorado, or they lose their timing a little bit by getting over-eager in Colorado, and stop letting the ball get deeper to them. Hitters recover, but maybe the first few days after leaving Colorado are tough.

• blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2016 at 9:48 am

Zum, you only have to review the Rockies own players. Collectively, they suck on the road. However, it’s even worse for them because they also live in Colorado . . . Consequently, they are more susceptible to injury, i.e., altitude is very hard on the body, especially if you play sports or do physical work.

64. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2016 at 9:46 am