Bad And Badder

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 6, 2016

You’ll recall that I warned you guys about Vin Mazzaro. No one can blow up an inning like V-Mazzy. He’s the human July 4th fireworks show. Now I’m starting to think Cain planted Mazzaro on the team to make him look better.

A Cain quote probably heard after the game: “I mean, yeah I’ve been bad, but Mazzaro’s ERA is NINE TIMES my ERA. Jeez, wouldn’t wanna be THAT GUY.”

There are predictable calls for the Giants to sign Timmy and I’m one of those proponents. But not at any price. If there’s a lot of competition for him, let him go somewhere else. If this showcase thingy works, he will have pulled off quite a re-birth. He’s been one of the worst pitchers in either league for years. What to do? Have surgery and completely shut down on your own time table to return. Wait until the season gets going, teams get desperate, and BANG(!) you suddenly schedule a showcase. Twenty teams show up with radar guns in both fists. GM’s shower you with offers.

Now THAT is how to re-invent yourself without doing anything. Lulz.

1. Carstie Clausen said, on May 6, 2016 at 5:46 am

Probably no rash moves from the Giants re #55. They know him well and will likely do their due diligence. Pressure is on, though, without TWO bottom end starters. Best current stats help in the pipeline is 24 Y.O. Joan Gregorio at Richmond. Everybody else looks to be a craps-shoot at this point. Question on this guy would be more along the lines of maturity points rather than talent and recent performance.

There are pieces in the pipeline. Best for quick returns would be Andy Susac, once he’s been back in action for a week or so. But we would be selling him cheap at this stage of the game. Caution too if the Giants wait, because then desperation would be more than just suspected. Best short-term solution might well be Gregorio, with a close watch on both Blackburn and Heston to determine whether there’s hope in either of them. Team is simply too good not to acquire at least MEDIOCRE 4th & 5th starters.

• Bozo said, on May 6, 2016 at 7:46 am

From what I’ve read Gregorio is still pretty raw. In 2015 they were using him more in relief so besides getting his pitches together he has to get his innings up. Still, you got to love his 0.77 WHIP and his 5 Walks to 27 Ks in 4 games this year.

2. James said, on May 6, 2016 at 6:45 am

Looking forward to the 3 day respite before Monday night.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:11 am

No shit. I am not looking forward to Peavy and Cain facing the Jays line-up. It could get real ugly, real fast.

3. djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:16 am

Tim should sign with an AL team if only to get away from Goldschmidt…

4. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:28 am

Timmy has a long way to go before he’s reinvented. He’s likely got about 3 weeks of ‘spring training’ just to get to game speed. Shit, he needs to get through the showcase.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:12 am

Exactly. I mentioned this on the last thread or so. In the meantime, WTF do you do? We know Peavy will get trotted out for his next start. The plus? It is at home. The negative – it is against Toronto and their boppers.

5. zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:33 am

It’s kind of amazing- you’d think, with all the people who play baseball on the planet, that each MLB team would be able to have five good starting pitchers; but no.

• zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:34 am

Not even close.

6. Irish Kevin said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:34 am

I hear that Kontos and Romo are due back soon, the question is will that fix the bullpen?

• djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:42 am

Amy G said last night Romo is at least 3-4 weeks away. Kontos sooner…

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:47 am

It sure will fix the Mizzaro meltdown situation. Kontos may not quite be a long-man but he does have the ability to go a couple and does possess some fireman chops. But the Bullies are not the #1 focus. The braintrust must right now be struggling with coming up with TWO starters, somehow, somewhere.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:12 am

The bullpen is the least of my worries right now. WTF are we going to do to fix the fucked-up back-end of our starting rotation…

• Irish Kevin said, on May 6, 2016 at 1:58 pm

I know there are a lot of “if”…if Mazz had not given up all those runs, including the two Cain left on base, the Giants would have won 7-4. So yeah the pen is a problem

7. blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:38 am

What cracks me up is that Rusin, the Sherps starting pitcher didn’t even get the win in last night’s fiasco.

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:09 am

Good column Kevin. Thanks for sharing. Yep, as I said below in my 8:56am post – put a fork in them, they are done. Too bad this “loyalty” thing will keep them around for who knows how long? Charles Johnson needs to get involved and say, “Fuck that noise – release them,” but that won’t happen because he’s probably the most loyal person of the bunch and he holds the purse strings.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:15 am

I don’t think Charles Johnson gets down in the weeds on the personnel issues. Now perhaps Evans has to go to him and the ownership group if they want to jettison players and eat salary.

8. blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:56 am

I’m thinking there are few answers with Timmy (albeit, I hope for a miracle), the minors, trade, etc. Sort of down with what snarkk said last night about “. . . bringing up anybody with an arm south of 30 years old” from the minors. Kruk, Giants management, teammates, etc., can massage Cain and Peavy’s massive fails 7 ways from Sunday, but the fact remains – they suck and they will continue to suck.

9. chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:17 am

Does anyone know exactly where and when “The Showcase” is being broadcast? I was looking for it to record last night (both on MLB channel and CSNBA), but was not seeing anything. Hoping it is streaming live…I would sure like to see it. My understanding is he plans to throw only about 20 pitches. Anyone else heard that?

• ewisco said, on May 6, 2016 at 1:38 pm

csnbayarea.com is going to stream it at 2:30

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Thanks Eric. I did catch it. And for what it is worth (forty-something pitches in a showcase), he looked pretty good, but has a ways to go before he is facing ML hitters. Would I love the story of a comeback, with our Giants? FUCK YEAH!

10. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:19 am

I think there’s another month of Cain/Peavy, life is skeevy, before either are DLed.

Unless they throw a AA guy into the mix.

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:48 am

Alcoholics Anonymous? Who knew?

11. chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:22 am

Where the fuck is VogelSTRONG when you need him? Boy, not bringing him back sure looks huge, now. His 3.60 and 1.20 WHIP look pretty good now. Sure, he only has one start, but WTF…I would trot him out there over Peavy or Cain in a fucking heartbeat. Sigh…

12. chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:25 am

You know the likelihood of the Giants just outright eating either or both Cain and Peavy’s salary are slim to none. Especially in the case of Cain. The Giants owe him north of 40 mil. (And we though Zito’s contract was a fucking albatross.)

So, my question is, what “mystery injury” will the Giants dial-up for either or both?

Time to bust out that “Mystical Wheel of Injuries” and let Evans or Bochy give it a spin!

13. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:57 am

tricep tightness… Shoulder soreness . . . loose labrum . . .

14. alleykat69 said, on May 6, 2016 at 11:05 am

How about an extended colonoscopy clean out for both Cain&Peavy cause their “shit really stinks right now!”

15. zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 11:56 am

If Cain’s slider literally does nothing except float up to the plate like a batting practice pitch, can it still be called a slider? It’s like that question about the tree in the woods.

16. zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 12:03 pm

It’s tough to watch beloved awesome athletes failing at the end of their careers. It’s just sad, and it’s a bummer getting steamed about their performance. No one wants to FEEL this way about those guys.
    Someone here yesterday (I can’t remember who) mentioned one of the Giants owners….this is a time when an owner could speak to Sabean/Evans and say: don’t worry about the contracts, do what you need to do to help the team win.
    The new Boston GM told the Boston manager before this season started: play the best guys, regardless of contracts. A clear message about Sandoval and maybe a few others, and it freed up the Boston manager to do what was best for his team.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:04 pm

I agree whole-heartedly, Zume. And Charles Johnson can absorb it better than any…he has the deepest pockets in baseball.

17. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Bring up Mejia from the Squirrels short-term. He’s only 22 but already been busted for PEDs and served a 50 game suspension. . .

5 starts, 3.63. era and 1.13 whip. He’s on the 40-man as well. He can pitch while Timmy gets up to speed.

Bring up Blackburn as well. I mean really. 1-7 between the 2?

• zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Seriously, the two have only won ONE more game than any one of us on the Flap could have won trying to pitch for the Giants.

18. blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Someone just wrote this, “SF is aging out of their competitive phase and with some big long-term contracts to deal with, they may not have the flexibility to keep reloading.”

And I responded with the following:

“Huh? I said I would be conciliatory after last nights game, but this is ridiculous. Have you heard of Panik? Duffy? Belt? Crawford? First two guys are essentially newbies, with Belt and Craw approaching their peak years. Both just signed their first long term contracts prior to this season beginning.

Pagan’s contract expires this season, so we will reload there. Or you can say we already did with Span, albeit, he replaced Aoki, who played with us last season. Couple that with Cueto and “Alphabet” who we just signed – with both of them showing they are stud pitchers. Pence is still playing well, and so is Posey.

So please tell me where we are aging out of our competitive phase? Cain? Peavy? Not chump change, but we’ve dealt with those situations before, e.g., Zito, Rowand, Sanchez, Huff, and Scutaro . . . They all were great Giants at one time or another, playing key roles, but then flat lining when they got paid and/or were injured. Giants absorbed those contracts EASILY. We’re not the Dodgers, but team ownership puts a winner on the field every season or at least tries to. Couple the aforementioned with having the best GM in baseball, as well as the longest serving (disregard that Evans is now officially the GM – Sabes mostly pulls the strings), we aren’t going anywhere any time soon. The phone park and our TV contract guarantees that. Not to mention the adjacent bay side property they are developing for more baseball conducive activities, e.g., hotels, malls, etc.

Nope, the Giants will be competing for quite a long time, each and EVERY year.”

• bassbaldy said, on May 6, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Beautifully articulated Blade!

• zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Preach it, fella!

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Delusional Sherpa fan, so a rebuttal was easy.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:06 pm

POTD…great stuff, Blade, and spot on brother.

19. blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Shout out to Eric (ewisco) . . . Nice to have lunch with you today and last week. Hopefully, when you visit Denver soon, we can do it again.

• ewisco said, on May 6, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Always good to see you Steve!

20. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2016 at 2:37 pm

No speed gun?

21. wilcojoe said, on May 6, 2016 at 2:50 pm

So much for MLB Network airing it. How does he look?

22. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Is the guy in the black shirt Timmy’s dad?

23. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2016 at 3:10 pm

It was simply a view behind the home plate netting. He looked fine, but no speed gun an vague idea of how close he was to the strike zone. He did like 2 10 minute sessions with a 5 min break. Threw some curves, fastballs, and i assume others, but it was very hard to tell. There was supposed to be questions, but either the camera was out of range, or no one asked anything. There were people there, but again, all I saw was 2 guys talking, and distant voices offscreen.

24. Macdog said, on May 6, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Here’s one tweet on the showcase: That’s it for Tim Lincecum. 89-90 mph in second session. Touched 92. Good breaking ball. He threw 41 pitches.

25. zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Albert Suarez up, Mazzaro to Sac-town.

26. zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 3:34 pm

John Shea tweeted out a little bit of video of the Lincecum showcase. Scroll down for the links:

27. blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 3:45 pm

91 MPH . . . Harold Reynolds (not me . . . I repeat, not me) says he looks great and anticipates him throwing 93-94 when he is in shape.

28. zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 3:47 pm

KNBR’s Brian Murphy just posted this:

Just got done watching the Tim Lincecum showcase, so forgive me.
    I’m in FTM — Full Timmy Mode.
    He hit his spots. He threw no scuds. He threw 91.
    He threw a curve with break. He looked fit, in an extremely un-Panda sort of way.
    Plus, he’s Timmy. Surgically-repaired Timmy, we might add.
    Without question, the Giants should sign him.
    At the minimum, they can offer him — after a sort of spring training through the month of May — a spot on the 25-man roster and strong consideration and competition for a starting spot in the rotation. They can offer him familiarity, they can offer him orange and black and they can offer him an adulatory fan base.
    That should be about the best offer he gets.
    Any other team guaranteeing him a spot in the starting rotation — who, the Padres? — can’t offer that combination of positive energy.
    He won’t ask for huge money. His Dad, Chris Lincecum, told Paulie Mac and me this morning that money isn’t driving him, that Timmy (yes, we call him Timmy here) has handled his big money wisely.
    He wants a chance to compete on the big league level, and San Francisco is the place to do it. It’s the right thing karmically, it’s the right fit for Timmy’s persona and it’s the right thing for the baseball club in its attempt to win games.
    Matt Cain and Jake Peavy know the deal. The big leagues is not orange slices and juice boxes. You sport ERAs near double digits, and you pay the price.
    Put it this way: Last year, a year most felt was an ineffective year for him, pitching with an aching hip, Timmy posted an ERA of 4.13 and a 1.48 WHIP. Cain and Peavy would give limbs for those numbers right now. With a freer hip and the confidence that comes with it, one can imagine his competitive flag flying high.
    The Giants have no financial commitment to Peavy beyond this year, so the oven burner under his performance is glowing red. His next start is Monday against Toronto, and we’re all already preparing for bad news. Matt Cain draws Joey Bats and the AL MVP next week, too. Same deal with the bad news, except the Giants do have $21 million committed to Cain, so Peavy would be first on the firing line.
    The disabled list could always call one of those two arms, and free up a spot. Then, you see what happens and let Bruce Bochy and Dave Righetti do the rest.
    Call me a blind romantic. Call me delusional. Just call me when Timmy toes the slab at AT&T, and I’ll answer.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Great post. From the heart, I am in lock-step with Murphy. And from a logical point of view, I think he nailed it. 55!

29. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2016 at 4:12 pm

He looked a little thicker than I remember, but that could just be the baggy stuff he was wearing. Or he’s beefed up. Wink wink.

I’m in.

I’ve seen many good Timmy games, and a few bad Timmy games. but after seeing Peavy and Cain these last few starts, I’m down with Timmy all the way. Plus it would be weird to see him in a Pads uni. Especially when he comes here.

30. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2016 at 4:13 pm

And yeah, he ain’t going anywhere east of the pacific time zone.

31. blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Down with signing him. No brainer to me in lieu of Cain and Peavy giving up 12-13 runs every game.

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 4:18 pm

My bad . . . I meant every inning.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Fuck! I love hearing that catcher’s mitt POP, and especially love seeing the one who is making it pop is Timmy.

32. wilcojoe said, on May 6, 2016 at 4:55 pm

It really didn’t even look like he was trying that hard. Almost looked like he was just playing catch. I would imagine he would get another couple miles per hour in an actual game situation.

33. ewisco said, on May 6, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Without context, radar gun, hitter, some sort of frame of reference, its hard to judge the showcase. Steve and I talked at lunch and its really all about fastball velocity. If he can get back to 92ish, he should be effective. He’s always had great movement, he just needs to be able to spot the fastball to be effective again.

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Yeah, agree.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:15 pm

He was consistently 91 today, and touched 92 is what I heard. He should only get stronger. I could see him bringing it at 93-94. I say make a hard play for him right now.

34. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Bingo. For his off-speed pitch to work, he needs to have a fastball around 92-93. Otherwise, its Zito and his 86 MPH ‘fastball’. Offspeed becomes eephus.

Wisco, there were speed guns that read 91-92. And that was him throwing pretty easily.

Maybe he doesn’t need 3 weeks to get ready. Maybe he’s been getting ready all along and is party-fresh.

• ewisco said, on May 6, 2016 at 6:01 pm

The surgeon, noted baseball expert that he undoubtably is, thought he should be able to throw 94 again. From his lips to god’s ear.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:16 pm

If anyone would be there, it would be Timmy. I could see him saying “I’ve been at this for months, give me a week or two, and I am ready to roll.”

35. blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Just saw an interview with Estes and it doesn’t sound like the Giants are a slam dunk . . . Unless he gets a starting gig. Timmy knows the score. Giants have the 4 and 5 face planting, so he has all the leverage in negotiating that detail. That being said, if the Giants offer him anything beyond a mostly incentive based contract, they’re crazy.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:18 pm

They need to offer him a decent contract (and I seriously doubt money is the driver for Timmy), and tell him, yes, there are definitely possibilities of you starting. I mean seriously, any Giants fan that has watched the last few outings by Peavy and Cain knows the gig. Get it done, NOW! If the Giants sign Timmy, you can just imagine the first time he takes the bump this year. That fucking place will come unglued!

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Chi, it didn’t seem like money was the issue. This was substantiated by his dad. However, Timmy told Estes – he was looking for a starting gig and WOULD NOT be interested in a relief role.

36. djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Ironically (or coincidentally? Pawlie?) Tim’s ML debut was 9 years ago today.
    I remembered that it was on Willie’s birthday.
    Strawberry debuted on Willie’s birthday as well…
    #funfactswithLoo

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:20 pm

FunFactsWithLoo…gold. Only on the Flap baby…only on the Flap!

37. zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Bautista goes yard vs. Maeda.

38. willedav said, on May 6, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Just listened to Shea talk about the Showcase with Woodson on KNBR. Said most pitches were 88-91, breaking ball did move well. Didn’t seem to think SF had the in tho they did have the most people there; said there were a lot teams just like them that do have needs.
    Overall didn’t sound near as enthused as Murphy. As mentioned, ho hitters/fielders and he didn’t move around to cover a base or pick up a bunt.
    did say he’d be ready after 2-3 starts in minors, prepared to go deep in a real ml game.

We’ll see.

39. djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Panik in starting lineup…

40. willedav said, on May 6, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Shea also said TL camp only want 1 yr deal.

41. Carstie Clausen said, on May 6, 2016 at 6:53 pm

So Suarez replaces Mazzorable. Cited him as a possibility a few days back. Started the season in A-ball where he was a bit too good to stay so sent to Sac-town,where he continued in dominant fashion. Bests i can make out he has floated around pipelines for some number of years and never got a call. Dude can start. May fit in as a long-man.

42. djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Dodgers lose…

43. zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Blue Jays 5
    Dodgers 2
    Final score.

44. djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Can’t squander these Bumgarner starts…

• James said, on May 6, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Peavey and Cain have left no margin for any other failures.

45. willedav said, on May 6, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Dang rough couple innings for Bum, not getting a lot of help. Unlike rox guy in the first.

• alleykat69 said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Watched part of Timmy’s showcase today.He looked ok, hitting a high of 91, pretty much what he can max out at anyway, mixed in his breaking ball maybe a slider are 2.Good thing he was fluid with his new hip, no wierd falling like last year off the mound.Little puzzling he only threw out of the stretch, has he abandoned the windup now?

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:18 pm

There were 2 sessions AK – 1st session was his regular wind up.

46. zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 7:48 pm

The defense needs to get its act together. Bum didn’t pitch badly in that inning.

47. djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Who the fuck was Gonzalez trying to fool out there?

48. alleykat69 said, on May 6, 2016 at 7:56 pm

One swing of the Crawbat and we’re back in this one!!

49. zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Yowza!

50. djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Break for Buster. That shoulda been caught…

51. Flavor said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Had no idea Posey was hitting .330

• djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Surprised me, too…

• alleykat69 said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Been on a tear BF, .571 batting avg for the week put 60 pts on his BA..
      Belt’s been hot too .423 avg during the same stretch. Some of the Flap need to stop breaking their balls, their doing their jobs..

52. alleykat69 said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Panik’s gutting it out.He’s definitely not healthy but they need him.Almost glad Posey didn’t get a basehit so numb nuts Kelly wouldn’t have him skinned alive at the plate by sending him..

53. Flavor said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Loo– don’t sleep on Brody’s Cause tomorrow. Tons of value and my top pick to win.

• djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:31 pm

He’s 22-1 in the early wagering which is ridiculous. The “pros” weren’t impressed with the Bluegrass, but he can pull it off. Not too high on anybody this year. I have a futures bet on Exaggerator (also 22-1) but I think he’s gonna bounce bad off the SAD. Gun Runner looks like the “wise-guy” horse.

• Flavor said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:47 pm

I just can’t pull the trigger on Exaggerator because the SA Derby was just too perfectly set up for him and even if they burn up front (something I’m not sold will happen this year) it’s a different track, wildly different day (as you know). But I will give you a knowing dude head nod if he hits and 22-1 would be sweet.
        If you’re playing Race 11 bet everything you have on Divisidero. That’s what I will be doing if I get anywhere close to 15-1 on him which I think is a pipe dream but one I will still dream. I’ll have him in all spots of the super though (and singled in my pick 4) and in the stretch he will be moving fastest, picking off horses 2 at a time. That horse has a kick in the stretch that is not being appreciated.

• djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:58 pm

I wouldn’t bet Exaggerator now, either. Looks like a weak crop.
        If you read Watchmaker’s comments it sounds like no one can win.
        Guarantee our old friend DMD will be on Nyquist.
        Hope you hit ’em hard in the 11th…

• Flavor said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:10 pm

sure. Denny never knew a base he didn’t hug. Nyquist could win I guess but there is way more value out there. I won’t have him on top of anything.

• djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:13 pm

I don’t like Reddam who owns Nyquist. I know people who think he’s the next Madoff…

54. djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Judging by his reaction, I don’t think Willie’s running out to buy ‘Master Of Puppets” tomorrow…

55. willedav said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Man, I hexed them. I shut K and K sound listened to some J Tull on youtube– Bouree Nothing is Easy Nothing to Say–Craw homers.
    I turn sound back on Posey Ks and they don’t score.

• Macdog said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Then keep going, by Thick as a Brick, Giants should have the lead.

• willedav said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:33 pm

good advice. Leaving work last night I heard cover band down the street playin Mustang Sally.
        Maybe I’ll check out some of Wicked Pickett.

56. willedav said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:31 pm

Gotta give the Sherps some credit. Btw Arenado LeMaheu and Parra those are excellent defenders. I thought Blanco had a hit there but they got the force.

57. blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Add Cargo to that trio Willie. Nevertheless, it’s irritating that we can’t put away Bettis. Two errors reminiscent of last night’s fiasco.

58. djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:41 pm

I wonder what Willie thinks when he sees old films of himself…

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Loo, he actually was quoted as saying, “I think I was the best baseball player I ever saw.” Source: Newsweek (February 5, 1979)

59. blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:42 pm

There ya go. Duffster with the big hit.

60. Flavor said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:43 pm

every time I watch Buster hit he makes an out. EVERY TIME

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Weird, but the same thing happens to me when Belt is at bat. I never see him do anything except strike out or get thrown out stealing.

• James said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Belt is such a stupid baserunner he gets caught stealing first.

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:58 pm

James, seriously – I rarely see him do anything wonderful. Either I am getting food, on the commode, or not watching the broadcast when he’s in “awesome” mode. Probably just a coincidence because his stats say different for the most part.

• Macdog said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Funny, every time I watch Peavy or Cain pitch, they can’t get an out.

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:59 pm

lulz

• djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:00 pm

lulz!

61. alleykat69 said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Duffster smoking it to “Triple Alley” for the knock..

62. blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Come on – bury these fucks.

• James said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Blade, your contempt for the Rockies is far more impressive and heartfelt than any Dodger hate anyone has ever expressed on the Flap.

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:02 pm

I’m in closet mode here. With my friends in Colorado and comments to Sherpa blogs and the Denver Post, I am much more circumspect. Sheesh James, ya know I have to live there.

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Also, my contempt for the Broncos and horse face is as great or greater than for the Rockies. Why? Likely because they win frequently and . . . umm, I can’t really provide a rebuttal to anyone with our inept 49ers and certainly not the hapless Raiders.

• unca_chuck said, on May 7, 2016 at 8:36 am

Bingo. Yeah, with ya there. It was bettter in the 80s when we were disemboweling them in the Super Bowl.

The Raiders might actually have a clue this year. IF they can play defense.

63. Flavor said, on May 6, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Kuip: “we learned something about Raburn, he runs pretty good.”
    Kruk: “yes he does”
    stat: Raburn hasn’t stolen a base since 2012 when he stole 1. He also stole 1 in 2011.

64. James said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:13 pm

It’s funny that K & K don’t ever use statcast to check the ball and strike calls. Miller and Fleming refer to it at times. They’d see that most of those outside strikes to lefty batters continue to be off the plate and are often not even that close. It is a bizarre phenomenon.

65. willedav said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:14 pm

worked so far Mac. Even Amy is tolerable with sound off and Pickett and his killer band doing You Left the Water running.

66. djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:20 pm

They sure like to have parties on boats out there.
    I’d say the best thing about them is that you’re never too far from a good place to vomit…

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Scrumming for sharks…

67. blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Hot damn! I see Belt produce. Will miracles never cease!

68. chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Belt keeps this shit up and I see player of the week and player of the month. Dude is locked…

69. djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Archways 1&2 are so neglected. Wish our lefties would yank the ball more often…

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Loo – have you ever been out here?

• djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Nope. It’s an epic personal failure. Especially because I spent a lot of time in LA some years back.
        There’s no excuse for it.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:53 pm

We need to get that rectified. Perhaps a “Bring Loo to SF” fund via the Flap…

70. bassbaldy said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:25 pm

In response to Kats 8:25 .. Yes, Buster is doing his job lately, but he certainly was not prior to the last week or so. Thus the ball breaking … He gets paid as an elite player, he must perform consistently as such. Not every at bat, no one expects that .. but more clutch than not .. much more.

71. chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Sorry Lisle, but your analysis on Buster does not match reality. Check the stats here and make sure you are looking at 2016 splits. Any player would give their left nut for stats like those (last 7 days, last 14, last 28…)…

• bassbaldy said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Well, I’m sorry too but, I don’t care wtf the stats say ..l’m talking about what I witnessed … Consistantly leaving rispm.. And the occasional xbh or dinger when we were ahead 5-1’or whatever .. Comon ..get real man, you watched almost as many as me .. Maybe not quite, but close enough I’d think.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:54 pm

I get it. I corrected myself. He sucks at 2 out, RISP. .222. The whole teams has sucked big time of late with RISP. Pathetic.

72. chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Okay, if we are talking clutch situations, you are right. He is hitting .222 with 2 out and RISP. But in “Late and Close” situations (whatever the fuck that is) he is hitting .385.

73. chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Outside of the rough start, solid game by Big Country.

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:43 pm

2 errors were big and didn’t help the cause at all.

74. chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:36 pm

This game has become a bit tortuous all of a sudden…I hate it when that shit happens…

75. Paul Sorensen said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Yeah, Chi, we have to feel pretty good about our top 3 starters. Definitely built for the playoffs with Bum, Cueto, and Large Smarge. People always talk about just needing “serviceable” 4th and 5th starters to get to the post-season, which clearly this team lacks. Bochy still is saying Cain is close. We’ll have to just trust in Bruce on this, I guess, he’s obviously a lot more patient than most of Flap Universe is….

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:43 pm

You are so right on, Paul. I was having similar thoughts while out driving around today…saying, wow, if the Giants only had a couple of guys at 4/5 who when it was all said and done, ended the year at 6-9 or something like that, I would be fucking ecstatic. You know you will never see anything remotely like that from either Peavy or Cain. The Giants have to do something. Whatever it is will take some time, and they may have to fabricate an injury or two. Given that, expect both Peavy and Cain to make their next couple of starts.

76. djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Where’s Brian Wilson these days?

77. chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Gearrin kid looked pretty damned good there…

• bassbaldy said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Apologies, I’d dint see your 9:42 before responding to your initial post .. In any case, yeah, that’s all I’m talking about!

78. snarkk said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Radio commentary earlier said Buster was 5 for 28 with men in scoring position. That ain’t good…

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:43 pm

.222 this year per BB ref.com

• bassbaldy said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Not good for anyone but especially not good for a so called Elite player but he is looking good lately .. Tonight not so much …yet, as I said, nobody can do it ALL the time .. Not expecting that whatsoever.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:51 pm

But everybody needs a whipping boy… 😉

• bassbaldy said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Especially when that he is making umpteen millions-o-$ … get my juices going!

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:59 pm

My #1 whipping boy is Belt. #1a is Posey.

• bassbaldy said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:02 pm

My Spidy sense tells me Belt is gonna break out this year .. if he can stay healthy .. He is well on his way.

79. Lurker John said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:46 pm

“They sure like to have parties on boats out there.

LOL

• djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Laugh it up, LJ!

• Lurker John said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:08 pm

If that’s not a good reason to party on a boat, I don’t know what is.

80. snarkk said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Watched the mlb.com highlights on Timmeh showcase.
    I gotta admit, I miss that little dude. He looked like he had really good balance, wasn’t falling off to the first base side all the time. Pitching free and easy…

• djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:53 pm

I think Timmy’s also got a great speaking voice. Deeper than you would think for a little skinny guy.

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:54 pm

See?

“little skinny guy”

If he wasn’t pitching, he’d be a flapper.

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:53 pm

You know why you miss him? Because he looks like one of us. Not “Thor” or Smargalphabet or some other stud 6 foot 6 inch giant.

81. chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:56 pm

I miss him because he was OUR GUY! And those first couple of years were electric! When he was on the hill, you just anticipate the key strikeout and win. And yes, he wasn’t the Adonis…he was just our Timmy. 55!

82. chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Ballgame!

83. chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Nice little comeback to set Bum up for the W.

84. zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Casilla has been excellent lately. Lights out.

85. blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Good, I can almost return to Colorado with my head held high. Better if we get another win tomorrow though. Grin.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:15 pm

When do you head back, Blade?

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Next week on the 12th.

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2016 at 6:30 am

Ah…heading home on my daughter’s 30th DB. Damn…hard to believe my baby is turning 30!

86. zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Sole possession of first place! 🙂

• djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:02 pm

If the starting rotation keeps winning 3 out of 5 they’ll cruise….

• bassbaldy said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:07 pm

We’ll, that ain’t gonna happen Loo .. and those shitsuckin 4 & 5’s are putting inordinate pressure on the 1, 2 & 3s to do exactly that.

Btw, anyone into breaking out the pitch forks, lighting torches, and storming the gates looking for Kelly’s blood? Myself, I’m almost there. Endangering the health of our players is the line he crossed by sending Posey last night.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:15 pm

I’ll take .600 all day long, and twice on Sunday!

• blade3colorado said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Yeah, today in the Denver Post, commenters were not qualifying their 1st place with the fact that the Bums and our team were also in 1st. They were so giddy about kicking our ass and being in 1st this late in the season, I didn’t have the heart to correct them. 🙂

87. willedav said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Uncanny but I had sound off last few innings listening to Muddy Waters best on youtube and bum holds them off, Belt! drives in a run Casilla shuts them down and there we are. Nice comeback W from 4-0 hole. K and K, away.
    and no I’m not listening to greg fing papa and aurillia.

• djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Muddy Waters for BBOTD!

• bassbaldy said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:08 pm

NICE!!!

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Love me some Muddy Waters!

88. willedav said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Re: Loo’s 9:22 lefties pulling the ball, couldn’t agree more. Craw did stick one in the water early last night but just foul.
    Belt does that all too rarely. If he could take one deep down the RF line and in the air that is shortest distance for a HR in the whole yard I think.
    Panik and Blanco are more spray hitters that rarely take that kind of advantage either.

• bassbaldy said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Please, let’s not get Blanco trying to hit HRs … A Proven recipe for disaster.

• djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:15 pm

307 down the RF line, I think. That’s a pop-up!!!

• bassbaldy said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:19 pm

nooooo .. Please! .. Not Blanco, anyone but him … He’s doing so well with the warm he is hitting now .. it ain’t broke, let’s not try to fix it.

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Yes. Definitely the shortest distance, but you have to clear the 24′ wall.

• djloo27 said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Don’t have to clear it Chi – just reach it and let it carom wherever…

• James said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:38 pm

60% of the pitches Belt sees are away. 2/3 of those are off the plate. Half of the other pitches he sees are out of the strike zone inside. It would be foolish for him to try to pull the ball more.

89. snarkk said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Willie’s looking a little old at 85. Hell, I hope I even get there. What are they going to do when he’s gone? Not to be maudlin, but he’s got to lie in state in center field. That’s what has to be done, IMO. What better tribute?…

• chipower9 said, on May 6, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Agree…

• djloo27 said, on May 7, 2016 at 8:14 am

When Willie passes, my childhood officially ends…

90. zumiee said, on May 6, 2016 at 10:45 pm

MLB Network night crew had a lot of positive things to say about MadBum, and his will to win.

91. sandog said, on May 6, 2016 at 11:09 pm

I totally missed the game, so I’m just now getting caught up on the box and posts. Nice win. The Murphy post about Lincecum is outstanding and has me starting to waffle a bit about whether to bring him back or not.
    Loo gave me a couple of good laughs with The Master of Puppets and easy-access-for-vomiting lines.
    Reminded me of a houseboat bachelor party I was on many years ago on the Sacramento Delta. After a day and evening of debauchery, I awoke in the middle of the night and knew I needed to puke. I headed straight for the nearest railing as I was in a sleeping bag on the top deck. At that point,everyone was asleep, several boats were in the area and you could hear a pin drop. I’m a pretty good sized dude with a mouth like Stephen Tyler, and when I puke I raise the roof with a cacaphony of sound. (I’m not sure if I used that word right, but I am going with it). I absolutely let loose over the railing for a good 2-3 minutes and proceeded to wake up everyone within 100 yards of me–some of whom began heckling me. Good times.
    I remember my mom made a big container of deviled eggs for me to bring on the houseboat with me. She was always real big on the concept of never showing up to an event empty handed—even if the event is a bunch of savages on a houseboat with kegs, weed, and strippers on board.

• snarkk said, on May 6, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Strippers on a houseboat in the Delta? The mind boggles…

• Flavor said, on May 7, 2016 at 5:20 am

lol, there is a lot going on inside of this post. Love it!

• djloo27 said, on May 7, 2016 at 7:41 am

Why are you up at 5:20 on Saturday?

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2016 at 6:34 am

Awesome post! Love the “I’m a pretty good sized dude with a mouth like Stephen Tyler, and when I puke I raise the roof with a cacaphony of sound,” and yes, houseboat – check. Kegs – check. Weed – check. Strippers – check. Add the deviled eggs (thanks, Mom!) and it sounds like you had all the bases covered. lulz

• djloo27 said, on May 7, 2016 at 7:59 am

Check out Mays’ reaction, SanDog:

92. snarkk said, on May 6, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Timmeh, full showcase.
    I’m wondering who the catcher was…

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2016 at 6:41 am

It is official (well, I was pretty much there already – this was the icing on the proverbial cake)…I want 55 back in the orange and black! Fuck I love that kid!

Every time I see him, I have visions of the on-field celebration when our boys won the world series in 2010, with Timmy on the shoulders of his teammates with his finger thrust into the air.

I have not been able to find a video clip of the conversation between Timmy and Shawn Estes. That was pretty cool.

Bochy liked what he saw, and perhaps I recall hearing something about this, but Timmy also threw a private session for the Giants 10 days ago for Evans and Dick Tidrow.

93. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 7, 2016 at 6:49 am

It’d be interesting to hear what Tidrow thinks. He’s the orgs arm whisperer right?

• djloo27 said, on May 7, 2016 at 7:40 am

Obviously you’re biased towards people named Dirt…

• chipower9 said, on May 7, 2016 at 8:05 am