Sunday!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 8, 2016

I have this theory that probably can’t be proven one way or the other too easily, but I think there are less runs scored overall on Sundays. It just seems that the scores across mlb are consistently low on Sundays. It kinda makes sense, too. Players finishing up a long week, maybe they went out Sat night, they almost always play a day game with a flight later looming…..I dunno, just seems like a low scoring day (usually) to me……

Another “60 percenter” going today, so gotta feel pretty good about our chances. Sadly, one of the “40 percenters” is set to take the hill tomorrow….

1. Carstie Clausen said, on May 8, 2016 at 8:04 am

You hate to lose an extra inning game at home. That didn’t happen yesterday, so the team should be a bit pumped, with Sam/etc taking the mound today.

But tomorrow ! Those Jays will take flight but will absolutely NOT take fright. Imagine. Big opportunity to hike up those hitting stats. Batting Practice. So that does make today’s contest a big one, with near certitude that we lose big-time tomorrow and little chance on Tuesday

2. willedav said, on May 8, 2016 at 9:25 am

I think best LU has Span Panik Duffy then Posey Belt Pence Craw.
    It will be interesting to see how season unfolds for the IF, including Belt who is only one off to a hot start.
    As long as D holds up should be fine players here for years to come.
    I think it will be easier to find FAs/fixes for OF if kids don’t pan out.

Btw listened to mlbtr podcast that didn’t seem too enthused over TL. They did suggest Giants look into Tommy Milone who has hist of durability if nothing spectacular and got released (?) by Twins as potential fix for back end of rotation.

Should be another “pitcher’s weather” day today. go smardz! might have to help himself a bit too so save those bats.

3. James said, on May 8, 2016 at 9:28 am

If I have to endure Peavy and Gillaspie at 1B tomorrow, you will hear me in the crowd heckling Bochy all night long.

4. zumiee said, on May 8, 2016 at 9:29 am

Yay for the 60 percenters! Keep us in first place!

5. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2016 at 9:36 am

I wish the Rockies were in another division, as they have some real potential stud pitchers in their minor league system (see below). It would be great to be able to trade with them, but that’s not going to happen any time soon, especially after we “stole their lunch money” with Scutaro. Fans in Colorado still bemoan that trade.

Personally, I think these phenom pitchers will wilt or rot, once they are promoted to the MLB Sherpas. Or, they will be promoted too quickly, as was the case of Butler – whom we face today. The Sherpas really have no choice promoting pitchers quickly, as the Sherpas monastery on a mountain chews up pitchers as fast as they are promoted. Even Gray, who has been a stud on the road, which he unequivocally demonstrated yesterday, is just another guy at home.

6. alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2016 at 10:15 am

Impressive list of fireballers Colorado has in the pipeline Blade..
    But you always have to throw in “The Coors Altitude Factor ” on all these studs and it ends up breaking most of them in the end.I would not want to be a pitcher drafted by the Sherpas simply because your chance of failure is so much higher playing there then any other park..IMO

7. ewisco said, on May 8, 2016 at 10:28 am

i’ll be surprised if we don’t here some #55 news today. he wants a one year deal so i would imagine someone would take a flyer on him without having to think too hard about it.

8. Flavor said, on May 8, 2016 at 11:08 am

I wouldn’t just hand over these Toronto games. Fact is, AL teams often have trouble playing NL teams (and vice versa) in away parks and Peavy can usually battle at home ok. Same with Cainer. I’m actually not totally done with Cain. I feel like there is a chance he’s going to be serviceable this year.

• chipower9 said, on May 8, 2016 at 11:42 am

I would agree on Cain, Flav. It may be a situation where they come up with the mystery injury and he gets a couple weeks to work out whatever is not working mechanically, because it seems he has the velocity.

RE: Eric’s comment that we may hear some news on 55 today, I doubt it. There were 20 teams represented at his showcase. He is going to listen to each and try to determine what is the best fit. Not sure if you guys heard the post-showcase interview with Estes. During it, Timmy acknowledged that there are some rough spots at the back-end of the Giants rotation, and that if he was open to initially long relief, there was a good chance he would eventually get a shot at a starting slot, but he said his preference is to hook-up with a team that wants him as a starter from the get-go. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2016 at 11:47 am

Timmy isn’t thinking this through. There will ABSOLUTELY be a starting spot opening up on the Giants. I would guess there is a 90% chance (maybe higher) that either Cain or Peavy will lose their spot in the next month. If I’m Timmy I like those odds and sign with the Giants.

• chipower9 said, on May 8, 2016 at 12:10 pm

I agree. And the other piece (and he acknowledged it) is that he knows the Giants, they know him, etc. Pitching at the Phone Park has to feel like slipping into your favorite piece of clothing for him. I would love to see us sign him…WTF, they sure as hell don’t seem to have any other viable options at the moment.

9. chipower9 said, on May 8, 2016 at 12:11 pm

1. Gregor Blanco (L) CF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Matt Duffy (R) 3B
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    6. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    7. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    8. Mac Williamson (R) LF
    9. Jeff Samardzija (R) P

And WillieD called the first seven in the line-up, with Blanco sliding-in to the lead-off for Span today.

10. Flavor said, on May 8, 2016 at 12:13 pm

a relevant question right now is, WHY don’t they have any arms to bring up? I mean, not a SINGLE arm? Who the fuck is developing these guys? Or in this case, NOT developing them….

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2016 at 12:42 pm

The same people that aren’t developing outfielders, I guess…

• snarkk said, on May 8, 2016 at 12:47 pm

I’m not convinced none of these guys below can help. Sabes said, two weeks into Panik’s career with the big club, that he obviously wasn’t ready. So, he went on to play spectacularly and help win a WSeries — showing Sabes was arguably clueless about that player’s readiness. Bring one or more of these AA or AAA arms up and see what happens. If they get rocked a few times, well, then we know they’re not ready, probably. Are these kids mental midgets, so that if they face adversity and have to go back to minors to work on things, they’ll fall apart? WTF? The only thing holding back the minor league arms are two huge, friggin’ contracts…

11. snarkk said, on May 8, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Everybody’s jazzed about the first 3 starters, the 60%. Nobody on the Giants seems to be saying, “hey, wait a minute, we’re only a 1/6 of the way into the season, we’re not sure these 3 are really this good”. So, why should they have the opinion that “hey, it’s early, Peavy and Cain aren’t really this bad”…

12. bassbaldy said, on May 8, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Whew! .. the top of the Sherpas order is pretty damn formidable, especially Story, Cargo & Arenado. I realize Story may only be a flash in the pan but if he is the real deal .. hmm, I covet them. I wish we had guys that struck fear into hearts such as those.

13. bassbaldy said, on May 8, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Fleming complaing the Giants making too many outs this year on bases .. No reason for Blanco to attempt to steal 3rd when he is already in scoring position. I guess I agree. The only reason I can think of is that the top of our order is so weak at setting the table we feel the need to stretch everything out and take risks because we have no faith in the rest of the top of the order to do their job.

14. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Agree Lisle. Still steamed about that bonehead decision. No idea what Blanco was thinking. Phone park is easy to score someone on 2nd.

15. zumiee said, on May 8, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Terrible AB from Williamson. So tired of crap outfielders from AAA.

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Yeah, also mildly irritated at Belt for not running full speed . . . Maybe it was the angle of Pence’s shot, but it looked like that had extra base hit written all over it. Belt slowing down coming around 2nd wasn’t necessary in my opinion.

16. zumiee said, on May 8, 2016 at 1:50 pm

It IS pretty amazing that the Giants have only produced Bowkers in the outfield from the minors in the last 25 years. Fortunately they’ve produced very well at other positions.

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2016 at 1:52 pm

And made some great trades for outfielders over the last several years.

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2016 at 1:58 pm

But always hurting for depth in the outfield because of inability to develop any in-house.

• snarkk said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Paying big coin for OFers from outside the org is an approach, but I think it’s not particularly a good one. Giants hit the jackpot drafting Bum, Timmy, Cain, and our current infielders. But, they’ve drafted lots of pitchers every year since that last big crop, now we’ve got nobody worth a darn that’s in the minors ready to step up and start? WTF?…

17. bassbaldy said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:09 pm

I stepped away for a moment … Come back and see we had a consecutive single & double with one out and could not score … So tired of this shit … Especially in close games where it seems like we need to take advantage of every possibility because runs do not come easily to this team.

• bassbaldy said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:12 pm

I suppose one a youse will point out that we are at the top of the league in the stats for run production in those situations but it sure doesn’t seem like it from my humble perspective of listening to at least 75% of 100% of the games.

18. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Belt. Deep breath . . . “Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.”
    ― Alexander Pope

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:26 pm

🙂

• bassbaldy said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Belt thrown out again … damn … our guys seem desperate … it’s almost as though they know their bats are sucking wind again today so they feel it necessary to take big risks in order to generate offense. We should be annihilating th is pitcher.

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:30 pm

The biggest risk is not taking any risk . . . So what gets me is the zero success rate. 🙂

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:27 pm

I love me some James, but Belt is not a good baserunner.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:31 pm

As I’ve always said, my expectations for him are low. If he makes it back to the dugout without a concussion, I consider that a successful trip on the base paths.

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:33 pm

lqtm.

• James said, on May 8, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Appreciate the love, Zumie :).

FWIW, which is not very much at all, Belt’s SB% coming into this year was 76%. He hasn’t made outs on the bases in any significant number over his career. The net effect of his base running on the team’s success has not really been noteworthy one way or the other, which is probably true for most players.

I’ve brought this one up before: in 1987, Will Clark stole 5 bases, but was caught stealing *17* times and made an additional 7 outs at second and third. When Belt starts approaching those kinds of cumulative numbers in a season, I may get upset.

Of course, a lot of Clark’s running numbers in 87 were on R. Craig, so I’m happy not to call Clark a bad baserunner, for what that’s worth, which ain’t much, either :).

19. snarkk said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:45 pm

This Butler guy has stats showing he’s basically been lit up his entire, short career before this year. He’s been pretty decent so far this season, but seriously, why can’t we rip this guy…

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:49 pm

He has talent snarkk. A former #1 that was brought up way too soon by the Rockies. Consequently, he has been sent down to the minors multiple times (I think . . . maybe only once) the last two seasons to re-learn his craft and get more seasoning.

• bassbaldy said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:53 pm

I’m so with you .. wtf is up with our bats? Posey’s has disappeared AGAIN!

20. snarkk said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Speaking of nobody being beyond suspicion on PEDS, what about Arrietta? I heard Lurie this morning talking to a Chicago scribe, he acknowledged there have been some whispers — but Jake has really hit the Pilates rig the last several years, and that’s supposedly made the difference. Ok, whatever. Sheezus, can we get Peavy and Cain on the Pilates gear — Stat!…

• alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Glad to get Butler outta of there!
      He’s ruining Mother’s Day for the woman in the stands. Need to lit up their pen pronto..

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2016 at 3:04 pm

There was a big SI article about his work-out regimen. Take that for what it’s worth.

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Arietta

• snarkk said, on May 8, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Didn’t Clemens work out a lot?…

21. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Fuck, it looks like as Smarge is dealing. Haven’t seen us bat yet but it sounds like a LOB fest,

22. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Dirt, if you’re lurking around . . . The right that Alvarez threw was devastating. Put Khan to sleep. A no doubt about it punch.

23. alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Williamson sucks!
    Needs to be shipped out after this game!!!! Jesus the Sombero hat trick 3 K’s and sucking major pole on all of them!!
    What’s the deal with Jarett Parker? Atleast he can occasionally look like Roy Hobbs..

• snarkk said, on May 8, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Parker strikes out a ton…

24. bassbaldy said, on May 8, 2016 at 3:19 pm

I’m going to put my negativity mojo to work here … FUCK! This team can’t hit worth shit! You mean to tell me Samrge is going to take a loss today, after going 8 innings 120+ pitches? BULLSHIT OFFENSE! Fuckin no hitting millionaires!!!

• bassbaldy said, on May 8, 2016 at 3:38 pm

2 runs in 21 innings ..for shit! Oh boy Buster on deck!

25. zumiee said, on May 8, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Those sandwiches in the Erik’s Deli Cafe commercials look very good. We don’t have Erik’s in the Central Valley, as far as I know.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2016 at 3:38 pm

we have one in Sharon Heights and it’s badass. They make great daily soup, too.

26. bassbaldy said, on May 8, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Ok Posey time for you to step up literally & figuratively!!

27. sandog said, on May 8, 2016 at 3:48 pm

I just got home and turned the game on. Why the fuck is this guy closing a 2-0 game? Did half the bullpen get busted for PED’s and I just haven’t heard about it?

28. sandog said, on May 8, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Oh….we’re losing 2-0.

Never mind.

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2016 at 3:52 pm

You did a Gilda Radner! 🙂

• bassbaldy said, on May 8, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Yeah, the guy we faced today, coming in with a 6.45 era … well, he mystified us as usual … we made him look like young Cy Young … Another one, again … Offense sucking copious pole .. 2 runs in 22 innings .. we had chances

29. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Limp dick performance.

• bassbaldy said, on May 8, 2016 at 4:15 pm

K&K going on and on about how great Butler was ,, he’s got 5 big league wins, 3 are vs Giants

30. willedav said, on May 8, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Yesterday fwiw 147 runs scored combined, today 110 with the late game and I think one still going in extras.
    If no one slows them down I’m going to get sick of Cubs highlights.

31. zumiee said, on May 8, 2016 at 4:29 pm

And now another trip through the 40 percenters. Yikes.

We’re back into a tie for first place.
    The Dodgers get the Mets this week. No picnic for LA., either.

32. alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Must be fun times for fans in Chicago as both the Cubs&Whitesox’s opening up big leads…Especially them damm Cubs starting out 24-6 after smoking the Nats for a sweep..

33. mrsprtdude said, on May 8, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Here’s a question. We seem to have quite a few middle relivers who can throw hard and are “up and coming”.They are not perfect, but (for example) why are guys like strickland or osich not becoming starters?

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Good question . . . Most of your relievers are guys who were drafted as starters and washed out in the minors from starting roles because they couldn’t cut it. Heck a lot of guys who pitch in relief even started in the majors for a while before being replaced by someone who is better at it. It’s also important to know that there are only so many guys in the league who can go through the same batting order 3 times and not give up a lot of hard hit balls the third time through the order. That means that for many starting pitchers their maximum efficacy is 6 innings (a quality start). Any who, that’s my take . . . By the by, a reliever is such because he has a limited pitch selection, e.g., Mariano Rivera basically got by on 1 pitch. A starter has 3 or 4 and can mix things up to get through the order a few times with minimal damage.

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Addendum . . . “That means that for many starting pitchers their maximum efficacy is 6 innings, unless they are named Cain or Peavy.”

34. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2016 at 5:13 pm

I still think the Rockies will end up in 3rd or 4th place . . . However, what is heartening about them, is the fact that the Dodgers have been screwed in the ass by them as well (thus far this season). Consequently, I don’t see the Rockies rolling over for them or anyone in the Division. I hope anyway.

35. snarkk said, on May 8, 2016 at 5:43 pm

There is no reason to think that Peavy will avoid a pummeling by the BlueJays. He’ll get creamed immediately, or latest the second time through the order. He’ll be done and gone by the 4th, mid 5th latest. That’s the MO lately, anyway. They’ve got to split up him and Cain, you cannot have those two guys pitch next to each other and eat up the Pen. If Peavy survives 5 against the Jays without getting rocked for 5 or 6 runs, that will be a huge surprise…

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2016 at 6:10 pm

My gut feeling is Tim goes elsewhere, not that he’s the answer anyway…

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I’m actually coming around to this. Timmy was probably more than a pipe dream than anything else. For me anyway. I won’t be bummed if they sign him but I’m not expecting much if they do

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2016 at 6:35 pm

totally agree they have to split them up. Maybe that’s the first move.

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2016 at 6:38 pm

I’d bring up Coonrod immediately.
        Just for the name.

36. Carstie Clausen said, on May 8, 2016 at 6:06 pm

So was there a psychological effect with those pink bats today? About the only factor that makes sense to me.

37. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2016 at 6:16 pm

All that pink stuff is hideous. Assuming it’s for breast cancer awareness, they would have been better off donating all the money they spent producing it. What are they planning for Father’s Day?

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Dodger Blue?

• alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Maybe their use bats that look like a penis…

• sandog said, on May 8, 2016 at 8:42 pm

I think you deserved some love for this line, Kat. For what its worth, I laughed out loud, but I can be pretty immature and I am severely sleep-deprived at the moment.

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 9, 2016 at 6:02 am

That would have brought out the Castro Street crowd in droves.

38. Macdog said, on May 8, 2016 at 7:01 pm

I only heard a couple innings of the latest blah effort by the offense. Yesterday it was the Rockies with the bonehead baserunning, today the Giants. Blanco trying to steal third in the 1st. Blade mentioned earlier, so for anyone else watching, could Belt have scored on Pence’s double? I couldn’t believe he didn’t score on a ball hit that deep. And then he gets caught stealing 2nd later on.

Has Arenado ever had an 0-fer vs. the Giants?

39. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2016 at 7:06 pm

It’s fascinating that the Sherpas had never before finished above .500 on a 10-game road trip in the division, but they went 6-4 this time at Arizona, San Diego and the Phone Park. The last time they got through a three-city West Coast trip on the winning side was in 2009, when they won six in series against the Los Angeles Angels, Oakland Athletics and Los Angeles Dodgers.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2016 at 7:55 pm

they’ll be done by Summer as you regularly, correctly, predict

40. sandog said, on May 8, 2016 at 7:33 pm

Remember when Petit used to routinely relieve Vogey, and between the 2 of them, they’d often pitch a decent 7 innings or so? I would do the same thing with Cain and Peavy. Give them one spot in the rotation and have them tag team it. They could take turns starting, which would amuse me. At least they would only torpedo one game that way. The other spot? I’d give it to Heston. I don’t give a damn if he is getting hit hard in the PCL. Tom Seaver in his prime would probably have gotten crushed in the PCL. Heston won 12 games last year. When was the last time Cain or Peavy won 12 games in a season?? I have no idea why they screwed over Heston so quickly. What did he do—pitch 3-4 lousy innings? Cain and Peavy both do that every 5 days. Heston needs to be up here starting. Timmy? I guess I’m down if they want to sign him, but I’d still rather see him retire.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2016 at 7:52 pm

ah, the ol piggyback start. In theory, I like it. Heston was pretty bad in the 2nd half last year and reports on him now is that he’s completely lost mechanically.

41. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Very much agree with Snarkk’s 12:47 post.
    I think that theory started with the career of David Clyde and was later supported by the flop of Todd Van Poppel.
    It’s nonsense…

I just heard Bryce Harper walked 6 times and was HBP in 7 PA today…

• sandog said, on May 8, 2016 at 8:38 pm

I think a great rule change would be to have manager’s have the right to refuse a walk and reset the count for any batter. Maybe you limit it—say they can only do it 2 or 3 times a game. Barry would have hit a thousand homers if that rule was in place.

42. snarkk said, on May 8, 2016 at 11:22 pm

Tommy Joseph, former Gyros catcher prospect who went to the Phills in the Pence deal, now is in Phills AAA and playing 1b. He left catching due to concussions. Apparently now raking, and a real chance to play with the big club this season. Good for him…