Peavy

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 14, 2016

And now we turn our trembling eyes to The Illinois Area Code. One of the 40 percenters. I don’t see how this ends up anything other than awful tonight. Best chance for Peavy? They open the roof and an unexpected tornado hits. Game gets canceled. Here’s a link to the roof status if you’re into keeping tabs on that sort of thing:

I am in Sacramento all weekend for a volleyball tourney so I will check in with you guys when I can.

Advice for the game? Look away, this one could be hideous…..

1. Lurker John said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Giants win!

2. chipower9 said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:11 pm

As Jackie Gleason used to say ” How SWEEP it is!”

3. Macdog said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!

4. chipower9 said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:12 pm

We should play more games in Zona…

5. zumiee said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Ha! Then the ump blows the hand signal.

6. Lurker John said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Nice 4 game payback by the Giants, Casilla’s histrionics notwithstanding. What’s that you called them, chi, the Arizona Douchebags? Fuck the Douchebags!

7. willedav said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:14 pm

yeah! Craw bounces another one, Belt picks him up.
    Like him or not, Casilla DID get the DP and the save.

I still would have left Strick in to at least start the 9th. This would have been one of those chances for him to close it out. He had a good inning before that; imo no reason to take him out until he got into trouble.

8. zumiee said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Strickland gets the win again! 🙂

9. bassbaldy said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:15 pm

For Casillia .. In the words of John Lee Hooker: “Serve Ya Right to Suffer!!!” … Motherfucker!!!

• willedav said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Used to see him come in and drink at bar over at J Js blues that was in Mtn. View, on el camino at Grant Rd.
      Nice big place too unlike the great little dive one on Stevens Creek in Santa Clara, which is still there.
      . Never saw him play tho.

• bassbaldy said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Saw him play in tiny club in 1968 … maybe 30 people in the place .. I was so right down front I could have reached over and tuned his guitar while he played … which did not need tuning, btw. He sure tuned me up tho!

• bassbaldy said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:41 pm

I used to live in the Haight, on Oak between Cole & Shrader .. There was an odd looking house on Shrader just on the other side of Haight that had a big carved wooden peace sign on the door that I was told was his house … Never saw him in the neighborhood and was never able to confirm that it was his abode.

10. Bozo said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Great series.

11. Lurker John said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:16 pm

One thing you will always be able to say about Belt is that the dude can play some first base. He’s saved Crawford’s bacon on a number of occasions. I don’t think Posey makes that play.

12. zumiee said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Dodgers/Cards on the ESPN game at 5.

13. Lurker John said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Now, go Cards.

14. Lurker John said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:21 pm

I see Tim Flannery has himself a job on MLB Network. Cool.

15. willedav said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Wow, check out any sports site for highlights of Rougned Odor landing a straight right to Bautista’s jaw after a late slide at 2b. This isn’t your normal baseball brawl, and things didn’t end there either.

• zumiee said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Willie scooped me!

16. zumiee said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Bautista with an illegal slide, and a fight erupts. Odor punches Bautista in the face. Chaos ensues.

• sandog said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:00 pm

In his defense, he had just been drilled by a 97 mph fastball–hadn’t he?
      All in all, it was a rough half inning for Joey Bats!

17. zumiee said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Bautista already cost his team earlier in the season with an illegal slide.
    He’s not getting the concept.

18. Carstie Clausen said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Had some hopes in my pregame posting that it would be Matt the Horse trotting out to the mound today. And baby, did he show up. One hit per inning over 7 and only a couple of free passes. He’s gotta be in love with his defense and should be a happy camper even if the offense was quiet till totally needed, but enabled Strickland to vulture one.

For all their upgrade to their rotation, the Snakes cannot seem to get up a real head of steam without marquee performances from Goldilox, who basically did not show up for this set. Contrarily, Giants rotation now looks to be what the more polly of us anticipated going into the season. Seems those two Southern boys at the bottom end need some warm, dry conditions to get their daubers up. Well, you do get that pitching in the Snakepit.

Been nice to see contributions all over the place. Our backup catcher, now with 4 dingers, is looking more and more like the kinda guy who will allow Bochy to rest Buster two games per week. Gilaspie has made a very nice return to the Orange and Black. With a pair of W’s under his belt, Strickland should gain a bunch of confidence and who knows, may even develop another pitch to go with his heat. Gearrin too, appears to be one of those quiet SabEvans pickups who has quickly paid dividends.

This team may be jelling midway through May. They will need to keep from letting down in that series with the Dagos. If they take the series they should be up for taking on the Cubs.

19. unca_chuck said, on May 15, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Ballgame!! Well missed the whole thing. Forgot to tape.

Went to Livenomore for a wine thing . Bbq tritip and horse dervies. I was the designated dude (couldn’t wine taste) but thank God they had a bar that had beer.

So Cainer pitched well?

• zumiee said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Yeah, but the D-Backs seem kind of lifeless right now. They miss Parra.

• zumiee said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:06 pm

It’s kind of weird seeing Goldy struggle so much.

• djloo27 said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Just read the boxscore, Chuck.
      Pretend its 30 years ago…

• bassbaldy said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Yes, he pitched very well .. a couple of tense moments but he stayed focused. DeLaRosa — guy that had a 8.44 era pitching outta the pen striking out the side when we faced him in extras last month — who we always have trouble with, one hit us through 6.2 (the one hit was Brown’s HR).

20. zumiee said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Utley always looks he spent the night with some vampires.

21. gianthead said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Who would have thunk we would go to AZ and get our pitching on track????

Go Sharks…

• gianthead said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Some prodigious boobs behind the Blues bench…

• zumiee said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:21 pm

At the Dodger game, too, but it’s Jon Lovitz.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:38 pm

and I missed ’em

22. zumiee said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Roberts likes to yuck it up with the players during the game. I don’t get that.

23. pawliekokonuts said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:45 pm

This win was a given. I was at the ballet in Philly. Seems to always be good for a W, dating back to pennant clincher in 2010.

• sandog said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Hey Pawlie—I caught a bit of the Phils game today. Saw Burriss get an at-bat and he played a little 1B! where he made a nice play. FYI–I like Mike Schmidt’s color commentary.. I guess he only works weekend home games. Nice gig.

24. zumiee said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Carpenter got good wood on Wood.

• sandog said, on May 15, 2016 at 7:04 pm

…and Odor Baptized Bautista

• bassbaldy said, on May 15, 2016 at 7:56 pm

He certainly ‘Roughened’ him up!

25. sandog said, on May 15, 2016 at 5:56 pm

Hey Chuck—I gotta get this straight—you were the designated driver for wine tasting today, so you couldn’t taste any wine, so you passed the time by finding a bar and having a few beers!!??
    Are you sure you didn’t go to San Diego State???
    Just kidding my man……….glad to hear you got out to the country and had a nice day. I hope to see you this summer.

26. zumiee said, on May 15, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Puig threw his bat and helmet in the dugout like an imbecile.

27. djloo27 said, on May 15, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Dodger Stadium still looks great at age 55.
    Am I allowed to say that here?

• bassbaldy said, on May 15, 2016 at 8:04 pm

You can tell all here Loo … I’ll share a little secret … My first wife’s parents were friends with Ron Cey’s parents … I never met him but did meet them once … I wasn’t really into baseball (very into football then) so much. Therefore, it didn’t impact me too deeply, but I admit to following Dodgers more than any other team because of the connection … It wasn’t until the late eighties that I tuned to baseball & the Les Expos de Montreal.

28. James said, on May 15, 2016 at 11:22 pm

The only JLH record I own is “Serve You Right . . .” on Impulse. The jazzbo backing band is perfect, and the opening track is killer

29. snarkk said, on May 15, 2016 at 11:42 pm

Didn’t see other the game. Looks like Cain has 2 good ones in a row. That’s a good thing for sure. If he starts to earn his salary, then they can start working shore up the Pen. That’s still a bit of a mess. Keep Brown at catcher a few games — dang, the guy has 4 HRs already…

30. unca_chuck said, on May 16, 2016 at 7:52 am

Yeah, ‘Dog my wife and her friend went to a winery in Livenomore my wife belongs to. I’m not much for wine but thankfully they have a bar so I snuck back for a couple. They did have bbq tritip so that was nice, beautiful day as well.

31. willedav said, on May 16, 2016 at 8:16 am

Anything you get from Brown offensively is a bonus. His other ABs beside the HR were 2 Ks and a GIDP.
    More important is how he handles pitching staff as back up, which so far seems great.

Gillaspie and Specs looked good too. Like to have one more bat instead of the extra pitcher tho.
    Parker hit 2 more bombs (now has 12 in mid-May) and has cut down on Ks… dunno what more is he gonna learn at AAA. Might be a case where occasional start and being around big leaguers (and Meulens) he learns what it is going to take to succeed at ml level.

• bassbaldy said, on May 16, 2016 at 8:21 am

Is that JLH album the one with “One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer” on it WD?

• bassbaldy said, on May 16, 2016 at 8:27 am

Gillaspie had one very good year with the CHW. Playing everyday and hitting a little over .300, if I remember correctly. Then last year wasn’t so good for him. And yes, Specs I think will have a nice future with the team … hier apparent to agent 000.

32. alleykat69 said, on May 16, 2016 at 8:23 am

Yeah missed the game but Golfing at the Ritz Carlton HMB was just as enjoyable. As was my call for the 4 game sweep!!
    Bring on the Maxi Pads were on a roll!!

• bassbaldy said, on May 16, 2016 at 8:30 am

Brilliant call Kat! Chi too was predicting good things for the team from the visit to the Valley of the
      Snakes. I better watch what I’m saying .. I’m moving to Arizona at the end of the month!