Bumgarner’s Tired Schtick

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 18, 2016

I’m never going to not get tired of MadBum disrupting games with his “Come again’s?” that he seems to not be able to stop himself from doing. And the lame thing is that there’s never going to be a punch thrown. And he knows this. Guys don’t want to get suspended and there aren’t enough “Odor’s” in the league to ever challenge him. Krukow was defending him on the radio today but I just can’t get behind a bully shit talker which, frankly, is what Bumgarner is.

Sorry, I know that’s not going to be a popular opinion here but that’s my take.

Nice game otherwise…….

1. James said, on May 18, 2016 at 10:17 am

I agree, it sucks when the bigger jerk in a confrontation is on the team you’re rooting for.

2. sandog said, on May 18, 2016 at 10:53 am

Being there live I didn’t get the benefit of replay to see who incited that. Was it clearly Bum? Bum is definitely an ass out there, but I’ve seen enough of Myers to know he can be a jerk as well. To me, he looks and acts like Nuke LaLoosh out there.
    Game was fun. Not as packed as a usual Giants game at Petco, but still lots of Giant fans in the house.
    Bum seemed like he really had them off balance, which makes me worry not as much about the velocity dip.

• Flavor said, on May 18, 2016 at 11:07 am

Bochy seemed legitimately clueless after the game about what set off Bum.

• sandog said, on May 18, 2016 at 11:39 am

What did the whole encounter look like on TV? Did Bum think Myers was looking at him funny, so he said something to him?

• Flavor said, on May 18, 2016 at 12:09 pm

I didn’t see it, I just saw Bum walking towards him, not what led up to it

3. alleykat69 said, on May 18, 2016 at 11:45 am

Dawg, Pretty much Bum just K’d his ass and stared him down walking off the mound and Meyer’s didn’t care for that yada yada!
    Will think about ordering my Bum jersey with “Red Ass” printed on the back though🤗

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 18, 2016 at 11:54 am

Totally agree with you, Flavor. Bumgarner’s whole commercial image feeds into it all. Whatever. Just drive your muddy truck, crack your whip, blow your snot rockets and STFU.

5. zumiee said, on May 18, 2016 at 11:56 am

I think Kuiper had it right, that Bum took exception to what happened on the previous pitch. Myers took a called second strike then stepped out of the box and slowly re-strapped his batting gloves, and then started talking to the umpire about the call. And finally stepped back into the box. Myers was clearly violating the rules on stepping out of the box, which the umps are not really enforcing. And on the next pitch, when Myers swung and missed, Bum stared at him, clearly perturbed about Myers’ delaying the game, and questioning the call. Why Bum was perturbed so much is a whole other question. If you’ve just struck the guy out, let it go. It’s over. You struck him out. But the quote after the game “I needed to get mad for a minute” was telling, I think. Bum uses this schtick to fire himself up, I guess. Yeah, it’s a tired schtick, but I don’t know that he’s going to change it, anymore than Peavy barking at himself on the mound. Players are going to do things they feel help them be successful. The concern is that someday someone will take up the challenge and rush the mound, and cause an injury. No doubt, Bochy wishes Bum would drop the schtick; but on the other hand, Bochy likes how Bum pitches, too.

6. zumiee said, on May 18, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Something that other teams would have to give a grudging agreement to is that Bum is not a headhunter. If he hits a batter, it’s usually a low slider that gets away from him. I can’t think of a single incident where it looked like Bum was trying to hit a guy intentionally. And his pitches are rarely up and in on a batter.

7. zumiee said, on May 18, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Another thing about the schtick is that once the situation is over, then it’s over, basically. You never hear him give details after the game. He often goes for the humorous answer. When asked about his barking at Puig because Puig did a bat-flip after hitting a homerun off Bum, Bum said that he told Puig: “Nice homerun. You hit that really far.”

8. sfsarge said, on May 18, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Yeah, the whole Bum red ass thing is getting tired. Nobody has really done anything of note that might set a reasonable person off. Maybe Puig, I would have loved to see those two go at it. But unless someone does something egregious, he should just shut that down and play ball

9. Macdog said, on May 18, 2016 at 12:20 pm

MadBum has to hit 3-4 times a game, so if a team had any issue with his antics, wouldn’t there have been some kind of retaliation by now? I don’t remember seeing or hearing any.

• sandog said, on May 18, 2016 at 12:50 pm

For whatever reason, the cockiest/most aggressive guys rarely seem to get held accountable. Gossage and other old timers used to go on and on about Pablo’s pre at-bat routine about how they’d stick one in his ear, but I never saw anyone do it. Nobody seemed to mess with Barry either. Or Canseco.

Funny thing, is the last time I saw Bum pitch at Petco was when he got into that stare-down with Joe West, who pretty much got Bum to back down—-which was a rare sight. Remember Buster staring back and forth between the 2 of them wondering when they were actually going to start playing the game again? It was hilarious.

10. unca_chuck said, on May 18, 2016 at 12:43 pm

These are baseball players, for Gods sake. These guys aren’t rocket scientists, or even high school level intellects. For the most part these guys are crackers, or your garden variety entitled athletes. At least among the white guys.

I missed the incident completely so I know not of what happened, but this sounds like the usual ‘biggest swinging dick’ standoff.

11. Irish Kevin said, on May 18, 2016 at 12:47 pm

I was listening to Kruk also, and he was also saying that batters know the pitchers they can irritate to take them out of their rhythm, that was/is the reason batters step out. Pitchers know this, Bum just handles it differently. Plus it does not take him out of his rhythm. So that is a good thing.

12. unca_chuck said, on May 18, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Regarding bummie and no one messing with him, I think his rep is pretty solid as someone you do not want to fuck with in any way shape or form. He seems like the type that goes from 0 to let’s dance in 1/2 a second.

I did however see the 9th where Bummie and Myers talked it out and apparently made up. If you give him shit for acting the redass, got to give him a thumbs up for that. Having a 5-0 lead helped I’m sure, but still.

• djloo27 said, on May 18, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Right, Chuck. Enberg pointed out that they’re both North Carolina boys…

13. zumiee said, on May 18, 2016 at 3:20 pm

OK- Bum DID throw at this guy. I forgot about this one.

• blade3colorado said, on May 18, 2016 at 4:29 pm

I thought that pitch was justified, as well as tame. Other pitchers would aim for the head. Next time Guzman will think twice about showboating in front of our dugout.

• zumiee said, on May 18, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Yeah, he basically threw it at his rear-end, the safest place to throw at a batter.

14. gianthead said, on May 18, 2016 at 5:36 pm

I don’t think there is a question that Bum pitches better when he is fired up. He is like an old gunslinger, he needs to go out and shoot a couple of people to get his day going…

15. gianthead said, on May 18, 2016 at 5:48 pm

I got the feeling Myers was just talking to himself out of frustration while trying to watch the pitch on replay on the big screen when he was walking walk to his dugout and Bum thought he was looking his way and talking trash and then Bum as we know overreacted.

• alleykat69 said, on May 18, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Bum basically played the “Doc Holliday” role and said to Meyer, “I’ll be your “Huckleberry”
      Will Meyer/ Johnny Ringo said: Fights not with you Holliday!
      Bum/ Holliday says: Beg to differ fight for blood remember!

16. Paul Sorensen said, on May 18, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Personally, I love having a guy like Big Country on the mound who the opposing batters probably know NOT to fuck with, as Chuck said earlier. Sort of like the classic role of enforcer in hockey who also happens to be able to score a lot of goals… a real rarity. Whatever fires him up, I’m fine with it, as long as it doesn’t ever end in any harm, which so far, it hasn’t. In my Boston days, went to a lot of Bruins games at the old Garden, as I lived just a few blocks away in the North End. There was one guy on Montreal, arch rivals, I forget his name now, who was their enforcer, always stirring it up, but the maddening thing was, the guy always scored a ton of goals against Boston. Hated that guy but respected the hell out of him and wished he was on my team….

• djloo27 said, on May 18, 2016 at 7:14 pm

John Ferguson?

17. James said, on May 18, 2016 at 7:34 pm

I continue to be amazed at how many pitches several inches outside there are that get called strikes against left handed batters. Is it some secret cult practice?

18. James said, on May 18, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Ugh, a run produced by/pissed away to Wallace and Ramirez.

19. alleykat69 said, on May 18, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Wallace has no clue what a baseball glove is used for…

20. snarkk said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Here at Chase Field watching Dbacks v Yanks. Beltran , teixeira and a bunch of dudes I don’t know v Goldy and a bunch of dudes I don’t know. Big crowd, Yanks of course. This place is a little weird with the roof on, but crowd is into it, and the place has decent sight lines. Got a $59 ticket on RF line lower box for $25 off a scalper, pretty good…

21. Paul Sorensen said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Loo, I remember Ferguson, but I think the guy I was thinking of was Shane Corson….

• djloo27 said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Makes sense. I went too far back…

• alleykat69 said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:17 pm

I remember Shane Corson, good thug on the ice. I was gonna guess Defensemen Larry Robinson?

• Paul Sorensen said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Yeah, I remember Robinson, a very good all around player, and big, but I don’t remember him being a goon. Corson was definitely a goon, but could also score… maddening. 🙂

22. James said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:04 pm

I hope that Draymond declares the Thunder dead after this game and that he’s already had 10 times the career of Sir Charles.

23. Macdog said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Hunter homer!

24. djloo27 said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:12 pm

How the hell did that get out?

• James said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:14 pm

That was impressive.

25. alleykat69 said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Hunter Pence has some ownage on Pomegranate. That’s 4 bombs in 14AB’s against him lifetime!!

• djloo27 said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:21 pm

He’s ahead of Goldschmidt’s pace vs. Timmy (7 in 28)…

26. Flavor said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Snarkk is at the D-back game? That is fantastic.

• snarkk said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Yep. More Phuckin yanks fans here than Dbacks. Yanks out hitting Snakes 10-1, but up only 3-1 bottom 7th…

• snarkk said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Friggin Yank reliever named Bettances is throwing gas at 99-98, with change at 88…

27. zumiee said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Good for Pence. Good hustle.

28. zumiee said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:48 pm

The Angels are putting up a big crooked number on the Dodgers.

29. alleykat69 said, on May 18, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Here’s Johnny!!!
    That was 1 helluva play getting Kemp!

30. unca_chuck said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Good to see the Dubs bounce back. Varejo gives the dubs some wildness and aggression that I like.

31. James said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:15 pm

I’ll bet BF, Zumie, and Blade are sweating bullets about BB9’s on base streak.

• blade3colorado said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:17 pm

zzzzz . . .

• James said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:18 pm

🙂

32. unca_chuck said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Turned on this game juuuuust in time to see Pence muscle up a pop fly over the fence. Didn’t think that stood a chance.

33. willedav said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:17 pm

what I read was, Myers after he struck out was looking up to see what the velo was.
    For some reason that caught Bum’s attention and he looked over at him.
    That’s when Myers gave him the, “Why you staring me down?”
    At which point Bum goes right over towards him.

Myers said it was just misunderstanding. You could see both of them chatting amicably at 1b late game.
    No blood no foul.

34. willedav said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:28 pm

whoosh! 94 and right by Myers on pitch #101. Impressive.
    Bring in a guy if you want, but I don’t think Padres want to see anymore of Cueto.

35. Macdog said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Radio guys are saying Panik, Duffy and Pagan are a combined 0-for-their-last-40. And this on a team with a 6-game winning streak.

• blade3colorado said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Flap = BIG PICTURE . . . Radio = small picture

36. James said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Back to back CGs?

• blade3colorado said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Amazing if it happens, especially when you consider that Peavy and Cain have pitched quite well during this win streak.

37. unca_chuck said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Don’t jinx it.

• blade3colorado said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Dollars to donuts “Blind Man” Upton whiffs too.

38. James said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:43 pm

You mostly get that outside shit against lefties.

39. unca_chuck said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Ballgame!! Lucky 7 in a row

40. blade3colorado said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Script would have been better with him striking out the side. HAHAHAHA . . . IT’S ALL GOOD!

🙂

41. Macdog said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Cueto finishes ’em off!

42. unca_chuck said, on May 18, 2016 at 9:47 pm

My son had a nice birthday today. Turns 19 and gets a Dubs and Giants win.