A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

No More Peavy

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 21, 2016

A little early morning googling unearthed this nugget: Highway 821 in Washington state is also known as Canyon Road or Yakima River Canyon Scenic Byway. I’m thinking of emailing state officials to see if the good people of Yakima might consider adding a third nickname to the highway: “Jake Peavy’s ERA”.

Another possible name: “Jake Peavy Sucks Shit”

How ’bout “Jake Peavy Smokes Copious Amounts of Pole”

I think any of my names would fit better than boring-ass “Canyon Road.”

And I agree with Snarkk, Bochy must be around some pretty dumb people all day if he thinks we’re buying “Jake was a little off tonight.”

Enough of Peavy. If the Giants don’t have someone better at any level of the minor leagues who can’t pitch through the 2nd inning of a baseball game then we have the worst minor league system of all time. Think about it.

1. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:24 am

The best part of last night’s game was AK and “The Captain and Tennille.”

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:28 am

That was awesome. Kat was writing some kind of cutting edge retro beat literature.

That interview with Toni Tennille was really interesting, and sad; but she seems to be finally very happy.

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:33 am

They were married about 40 years, and she can’t remember him ever telling her that he loved her. That’s incredibly sad. The couple that performed “Love Will Keep Us Together” were in a joyless, loveless marriage.

• willedav said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:35 am

gotta wonder about any bar with pool tables that would even have that song available, let alone someone actually picking it out…drunk as skink or not.

2. zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:25 am

Yes, this isn’t even about Peavy anymore; it’s about Bochy.
    Elvis Costello has a song called “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror.” Bochy needs to look into that mirror, and be honest with himself. His love for Peavy is immense, but he can’t allow that love to keep hurting the team. A good outing from Peavy every 4 or 5 efforts is unacceptable. And Bochy can’t worry about the $15 million contract. The Giants have already paid about $4 million of it anyway. As James (I think) said last night: “He’s not a major league pitcher anymore.” The guy isn’t even going to be in the major leagues next season. He’s done.
    And LJ (I think) said last night: “He isn’t pitching; he’s throwing batting practice.” Also very true.

Suarez looked really good last night. How about give him a few starts? Peavy can be the long-relief mop-up guy, until he gets a phantom injury.

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:37 am

Ditto on Suarez being a lonely spark of light last night. Would he be stretched ~stretchable~ enough for a starter role is my question.

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:44 am

I thought he was starting games in the minors this season, but I could be wrong.

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 21, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Zum: Yep. He started in three of his 5 games. 1.24 Whip. Identical WHIP by Ty Blach, who has been coming around lately after a fairly sour April. At this point they both look better than Blackburn, who got the call to The Show, but did not appear in a game before Kontos returned. Neither Suarez nor Blach would likely be any worse than Peavy ~ MAYBE Blackburn as well.

3. willedav said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:32 am

well, when he did OK in that last start I remember few guys here mentioned that would guarantee couple more at least. Zito conundrum–even if he’s good it still sucks because then you get more of him.

I’ve capped on Melvin Upton as the “bad Upton”, but cracking a game winning bomb to the opposite field at Petco to beat Jansen is tough to beat. Plus, he’s got 6 HRs, BA of .266 and an OPS of .780.
    The much higher paid Upton is batting .227 with an OPS of .600 (!) for Detroit.

Gotta admit even tho I’ve wished SF could have picked up Zobrist for years, I had no idea he’d be hitting as well as he is. He crushed that one of Kontos, who hopefully rebounds as he pitches more often now.

You’re going to today right Flav? Maybe you are the key to getting Cain into the W column. Not supposed to be too nice a day (lot of clouds even here in south bay) so maybe by 4 PM start it’s “pitching weather.”

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:35 am

Blind BJ hit that off an 0-2 pitch, too.
      Yes, I’m going. Still not sure where we are sitting. Need 8 seats so while ticket prices have been plunging for this game we still haven’t found anything we like yet. Confident we will tho. Just gotta be patient.

4. Flavor said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:36 am

and I’m not the key. Zumiee is the key. He saunters into the stadium, says “Make it so” out loud to no one in particular and they fucking win every goddamn time. I love it!

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:42 am

I have a tall task in a couple of weeks. I’m going to see them play the Red Sox. I’ll do my best! It better not be Peavy starting, though. There’s not enough mojo in the world for that! 🙂

5. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:43 am

Posey needs a break . . . His line of .268, .323, and .415 is putrid. Bench, golf vacation, whatever, just sit him.

Perfect opportunity for Trevor Brown, who’s also a righty to go against Lester.

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:48 am

That’d be great. I’d play Brown v Lester. There’s nothing better than to be at a game and a guy you’re playing hits a bomb.

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:55 am

Actually, what’ll probably happen is that Belt (lefty) sits and Posey plays 1st, to take advantage of the “perceived” platoon.

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 9:05 am

Yeah, I have TB and Tomlinson in my DFS LUs today . . . I think Duffy might sit too. May have to do some LU shuffling before start of the games, with the small evening slate.

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:51 am

Agree. Buster is slogging a bit. For 2-3 weeks now i’ve advocated a 5-2 split on Posey vs Brown starts behind the plate. Trevor handles the defensive side more than adequately well and his bat has shown significant signs of awakening. As a Georgia boy, Buster has a tendency for his bat to warm up as the season advances. So i’m not too concerned long-term. If it does not happen over the next 4 weeks or so, Bochy may hafta bite yet another bullet and drop him to something like 6th in the order.

• bassbaldy said, on May 21, 2016 at 9:42 am

Is Flav going to weigh in now, as he did with my similar suggestion last night, that they don’t do that in the Majors because it doesn’t work?

6. Carstie Clausen said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:46 am

When i saw that pitcher posting for last night’s game clear back on the thirteenth, i labeled the upcoming battle of the Jakes as the “mismatch of the season”. Went up to the sack after the leadoff man in the 2nd was already on base and figured at the time that Peavy would get knocked out in the 3rd. Glad to not have stuck around for the fun.

So once again Flav leads the parade of flappers peeved at Peavy segueing into beefing on Bochy. Logical enough. Said it before: If BB15 has any particular fault it is loyalty to a fault. Likely that its just a matter of time before voices from upstairs whisper “Bruce, we can take the hit on the salary. It’s time to cut the knot. Accelerating fan backlash will convince Baer, for example, that Giants revenues mike take a major hit every time Jake gets jacked.

7. Bozo said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:50 am

Peavy throwing BP? Now there’s a thought, it might help our hitters.

• willedav said, on May 21, 2016 at 9:14 am

iirc Giants had asked Hudson who was around for ST if he’d throw some BP.
      He said, “You mean like I did last year”?

Lot of thoughts were given to Bonds being able to help guys. Well, Stanton is hitting .214 and only team Marlins are ahead of is the Braves.

• bassbaldy said, on May 21, 2016 at 9:30 am

Oh! Oh! Clown is onto something here … Hey everyone, this is a brilliant idea! We have genius in our midst!

Think about it … It really could help our hitters and rather than the DL for Skeevy, let him earn his money.

Fucking Bryant pissed me off last night saying to the effect ” .. that’s why we are such a great team, we make the starters work and then get into their pen ..” What they did to Fake Skeevy last night is no measure of greatness. It was BP, pure & simple.

8. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 9:25 am

Hey Flavor: Someone just bet $ 80,000 to win on Stradivari in the Preakness knocking him down to 3-5…

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 9:32 am

Loo, during that exciting game last night (zzzzz), you never did answer my new trivia question:

What do baseball fans have Reuben Berman to thank for?

• djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:00 am

Kosher Hot Dogs?

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:05 am

Nope.

• djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:09 am

No idea on this one, Blade…

• bassbaldy said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:24 am

I know it has something to do with him running a foul of the law … 😉

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:31 am

I have always had nearly no interest in the Preakness. Not even betting it this year.

9. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:19 am

What does every fan want when they go to a baseball game?

• wilcojoe said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:27 am

Catch a foul ball?

• djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:30 am

Didn’t you do that on camera a few years ago, WJ? I remember some kind of clip that you might’ve posted.
        Or have I completely lost it?

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:36 am

Yes WJ. Berman’s 1921 lawsuit against the New York Giants established a fan’s right to keep a baseball hit into the stands.

• wilcojoe said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:43 am

Your close Loo, I caught a bag of cracker jacks that Kruk and Kuip were throwing into the Minute Maid stands during a ‘Stros-Giants game.

• djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:46 am

That was it!

• Bozo said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:41 am

Being able to watch a starting pitcher melt down in the second inning?

10. wilcojoe said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:29 am

Kat was in rare form last night. The jukebox post was epic.

11. unca_chuck said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:30 am

Cracker jacks??

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:37 am

lulz

• djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:42 am

Cracker Jacks should sell the peanuts separately, too. I think people would like that.
      The other day I had a bag of hollowed out pretzels. Amazing what they can do…

12. Flavor said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:59 am

anyone ever used the gametime.co app on your phone to buy last min tickets? My buddy is swearing by this app and we are going to use it. The catch is that you have to wait till 30 min before the game but he promises that there will be super cheapo great seats available for all 8 of us. We shall see. Any info from any of you who have used it would be appreciated

• sandog said, on May 21, 2016 at 11:40 am

Never heard of it, but I fully support the philosophy behind this. Can’t wait to hear how it turns out.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 11:54 am

This app used to be called something else:
      “scalpers”…

• chipower9 said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Have not heard of it, but let us know how it works out.

13. Flavor said, on May 21, 2016 at 11:32 am

breaking out the “We Score We Win” shirt for the first time this season…..

• chipower9 said, on May 21, 2016 at 11:37 am

Boo Yah!

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 11:43 am

I’m breaking out a new shirt design:

We Score, We Win*

*Not applicable for Peavy starts

14. chipower9 said, on May 21, 2016 at 11:39 am

Agree, Peavy has to go. Order his gold watch, Bochy can give him a good pat not he ass, and let him ride off into the sunset with his guitar slung over his shoulder. I’m not going to demean Peavy, he has been a tough competitor for 15 years. He helped us win a world series, and for that, I will always be grateful. But his ship has sailed and it is time to move on. The thing that really sucks is I doubt Bochy and Evans are ready to pull the plug.

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 11:46 am

It’s hard for people to admit mistakes. The 2-year Peavy deal turned out to be a big mistake.

• chipower9 said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:11 pm

For what was available when they inked Peavy, that was as good as they were going to get, iMO. At least it was for only two years. Unlike the Zito deal.

15. sandog said, on May 21, 2016 at 11:45 am

Yes, Kat’s jukebox rant last night was classic. Like James, I am now wondering what tunes those whippersnappers were putting on there that was pissing him off so much? I agree that a jukebox with Montrose and UFO on it probably didn’t have a lot of Oingo Boingo and New Order on there. What tunes/artists could have been so bad????
    And it didn’t actually have Captain and Tenille on there—did it? Inquiring minds have to know!!

16. snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 11:51 am

I appreciated going to the game last night courtesy of Mrs. snarkk’s niece and nephew. But, if I am looking for a game to go to on my own dime, I will try to make sure the game I choose is not a Peavy game. I’m not paying good money to watch what is likely to be a piece of crap. Bochy can throw whatever bullcrap on the wall he wants about this guy with the media, but let’s be real — he’s been horsecrap for almost every start this season. Paraphrasing BF, if SF can’t find one arm in the minors better than Peavy, then they should fire all the guys in the front office. Yes, Peavy was a good add halfway through the 2014 season to help win. But, he’s a mercenary that signed up in ’15 for another 2 years, just like Huddy was. I’ve got next to nothing invested in this guy from a fan perspective. If he retired to Alabama tomorrow, I wouldn’t miss the guy and his guitar more than a good “thanks” and see ya. The Giants better hope Timmy sucks when he starts pitching, because if he is even passable in the AL, a lot of fans are going to be PO’d the Giants didn’t sub him in for Peavy…

• alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2016 at 12:09 pm

It’s always been mystifing to me with all the high pick Pitchers they draft that they move up so slowly in this org, by the time they “Might” get a look see their be 28 or older. Why even draft pitchers anymore when you can pluck a Cueto&Smarzalooza in F/A and hit gold? Same of course with outfielders which we will never hit gold, except again in F/A or trades Span/Pence/Pagan

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 12:29 pm

With ya, Kat. Blackburn has been in the Giants org since 2011. He’s got 551 innings pitched so far in the minors, he’s almost 23 1/2. A lot of organizations would bring up a guy like this. What the F are the waiting for? They brought up Cain when he was 20, but he was a #1 or a #2. Blackburn is a #4 or #5 guy, he doesn’t have electric stuff, and he hasn’t been great in Sac this year, to put it mildly. But, they’re telling us he’ll suck eggs worse than Peavy as a #5 — that seems near impossible. If not him, bring somebody else up and give ’em a shot…

• chipower9 said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm

snarkk – it wasn’t the Giant’s call to “sub him in for Peavy.” The Giants were clear he would start in the BP, and then “possibly” break into the rotation. Timmy wanted to start out the gate (after getting in baseball shape). Basically, Timmy was not an option, even though the Giants were one of only three teams standing when Timmy made his choice.

17. alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2016 at 11:56 am

Wish Tim Flannery would just add Jake full time to his lunatic fringe band, and tour all year long so to help the Flap out of are misery every 5th day.

• chipower9 said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:15 pm

I am going to see Lunatic Fringe in Rocklin next year. I wish like hell Peavy would be on stage with Flan, and NOT on the Giants roster, but as I said earlier, regardless of how badly Peavy sucks, and he sucked mightily last night, I doubt Bochy and Evans pull the plug anytime soon.

18. snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 11:57 am

When I was at the Dbacks/Yanks game a few nights ago, they had a kiss cam thing between innings. They zeroed in on a couple — the woman was wearing a Hillary mask, and the guy was wearing a Trump mask. They proceeded to go into a long, drawn out dramatic kiss — it was hilarious, the crowd went wild…

19. wilcojoe said, on May 21, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Peavy and his doppelgänger Blake Shelton should switch roles in about five days. I doubt anyone would even notice.

20. snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 12:50 pm

I wondered what the heck a “Preakness” was. Wiki says the race was named by a Maryland governor after the name of a colt that had won a race there. Guess the ol’ guv had a $2 bet on the nose for “Preakness”, and the long shot came in. Phil Mickelson should buy a yearling at Keeneland and name him “Insider Trading” or “Ten Be Five”…

21. alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Wow is this LU Crazy?
    SpanCF
    Panik2B
    Specs LF
    Posey 1B
    Duffy 3B
    Crawford SS
    Blanco RF
    Cain P
    White Flag LU?
    Belt, Pence,Pagan riding the pine…

• alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Oops and we might need a Catcher that would be Trevor Brown batting 7 th…

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Looks like Bochy wants to shake things up a bit, I don’t disagree. Specs roped one to left last night for double, so why not? With Cain on the mound, not sure it makes a difference. If he goes back to normal and throws his usual ration of gopher balls up in the zone, the Cubs are going to clobber a few out, and this game will be out of hand early. Lester has been pitching well, so Bochy is going righty in the LU a bit. Plus, Blanco and Specs can steal a bag or two, and Lester has brain lock with runners on first. This one looks like a Giants loss from the get go…

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Surprised Posey is even playing first base. After all, it’s a mid-afternoon game after a night game that he caught. Could be a challenge since he might be tired at his advanced age…

22. alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Ok I can’t do LU cards at all.
    Needing that Catcher to atleast keep the home plate ump company, Trevor Brown moves up to 6 th and yeah let’s drop Crawford to 7th?

23. sandog said, on May 21, 2016 at 1:48 pm

It’s still odd for me to see Red’s players with long hair and facial hair. The pitcher starting for them today looks like he should be playing bass for Cinderella or Poison circa 1986.

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:09 pm

A couple of terrible bands, although I kind of liked the song “Round and Round.” Although that might have been Ratt, like it matters.

• sandog said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Yeah, that was Ratt. Cinderella has a song called Gypsy Road that I think has a great, simple riff. I used to be able to play a decent version of it on the guitar.

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:20 pm

I took the time to figure out Bon Jovi’s “Wanted Dead or Alive” one day. I liked an acoustic riff in the song. I hate that band, though.
        I like his commercial, though. It’s cool.

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Reconsider having that second child. Funny!

24. zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:16 pm

I like how one song could totally change things in those days. Nirvana released “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” and it was “goodbye, hair bands.”

25. chipower9 said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Here ya go, Kat, my LU-challenged friend…

1. Denard Span (L) CF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Kelby Tomlinson (R) LF
    4. Buster Posey (R) 1B
    5. Matt Duffy (R) 3B
    6. Trevor Brown (R) C
    7. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    8. Gregor Blanco (L) RF
    9. Matt Cain (R) P

• alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Mucho gracias Senor Chi!
      No Pence a bit suprising against a lefty?

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Actually, I called this earlier in the morning (9:05am) . . . I knew Belt wouldn’t play against Lester and both kids (Specs and Brown would be in).

26. Bozo said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:21 pm

We have one hell of a bench, tonight.

27. snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Just heard on Lurie’s pre-game show that:
    1. Pence out due to lower hamstring tweak, probably not serious
    2. Pagan re-tweaked same hammy injury, out due to caution

So, given the usual Giants medical info process, both will probably be out for the next two weeks…

28. snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Meanwhile, Lurie made a good point about Lester. I thought it was good they have Blanco and Specs in there due to their speed if runners at first, but Lurie noted that Lester has trouble throwing to first for any reason. So, why not just bunt, bunt bunt on this guy and make him make plays over there, get him flustered. I’d do it…

• alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Snarkk dropping down that drag bunt as a flustered Jon Lester fields it and proceeds to throw in down the RF line as a ever hustling Snarkk plows toward 3rd looks up and in utter disbelief he sees his boy Roberto Kelly frantically waving him home so he goes for it,and the relay throw is already at the plate( yes 30 ft plus)as the catcher is laughing his ass off just waiting for the Snarkster arrival and a stunned Snarkk just looks back at Kelly with the death glare and the WTF were you sending me for!!!

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Kat, I’m digging that visual. But, I’ve got speed, dude. I’d make it home safe despite Kelly waiving me in via a dubious take on the RFer’s arm.

BTW, I hope it is Happy Hour wherever you are… 😉

29. Flavor said, on May 21, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Specs Batting 3rd. Hmmmmm. Well if he gets on he better run like FORREST fucking GUMP.

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 3:35 pm

I actually have a DFS stack with Brown, Duffy and Tomlinson. 🙂

I expect nothing out of this LU, but I was able to get a bunch of heavyweights into it, such as Fernandez, Correa, and Springer.

30. Flavor said, on May 21, 2016 at 3:09 pm

I’m tired of low scoring gms that I go to, I wanna see some runs tonight. And one of my favorite things ever is to have strangers at the game call out to “big Flavor” as I walk around. We score we win baby!

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 3:42 pm

I saw a high scoring 8-1 last night. Not recommended.
      But, great you’re wearing the shirt and getting some fan response!…

31. snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 3:37 pm

BF would like this one. Lurie was just talking to Kruk, and asking him about a robot home plate ump. Kruk said no way, the different zones of the different umps adds spice to the game, adds to the things that pitchers and catchers have to deal with, overcome. Then he proceeded to give two short riffs on the zones of today’s and tomorrow’s home plate umps.

Plus, if a robot called the zone like it is written in the rule book, then “all the best hitters in the league would hit .180”. No explanation. WTF does that mean? Kruk is just FOS sometimes…

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Yeah, it makes no sense, especially since he contradicts himself, e.g., “. . . adds to the things that pitchers and catchers have to deal with, overcome” and “all the best hitters in the league would hit .180.”

Which is it genius? What an imbecile.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 3:46 pm

He did kind of give a bit on Peavy in view of last night. Kruk said he thinks Peavy is older now so his body is not recovering fast enough between starts to be consistently effective. Or some shit like that. Actually, it was the first I’ve heard him getting real about Peavy. Giants play Pads and Braves next, so I’m thinking Peavy gets one or two more starts still. If he gets hammered by one or both of those dogmeat squads, I don’t care what Bochy’s bullshit is, they have to make a move…

32. snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Well, Nyquil isn’t a mudder. He takes 3rd in the Prickness…

• djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Terrible ride by his jock…

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Did the mudder eats its fodder?
        Oh, I love that old joke.

33. pawliekokonuts said, on May 21, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Good stuff here. Esp. the Cracker Jacks catch replay. somehow I see the giants winning this game. baseball’s an odd game. Phils were so hot…until they played the…Braves.

34. alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Nyquist ran a dumb race,seemed to jostle and battle with Unca Chuck(Uncle Lino) while Exaggerator was clearly the better horse laying low and running a perfect race.

35. zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 4:30 pm

I’m a Matt Vasgersian fan. Eric Karros, not so much.

36. alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Who’s that announcer Aaron Boone?
    Anyway I like his thinking, after Zobrist folded one off his foot , the devious guy said I would go right back in there while the pain is still throbbing!

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Eric Karros. He’s an ex-Dodger, so I’m probably holding that against him. 🙂

• Lurker John said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Nah, he just sucks. Being an ex-Dodger is gravy.

37. zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 4:35 pm

It’s the Fox game of the week, if anyone doesn’t know that.

38. alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Thanks Zumie,
    Didn’t ketch the start. I’m not as down on Karros as others( even if he’s a Dodger) during are W/S runs he actually was pretty good telling how the Giants and Bochy were out thinking and just overall out hustling their opponents..

39. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I don’t believe what I just saw!

40. snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Well, at least Cain kept that dinger to a solo shot by Bryant.
    Nice double by Cain last inning to drive in the 2…

41. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Over 100 pitches thrown already in this game and it’s only the top of the 3rd…

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Cainer’s at best a five and dive guy today.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Funf and dumpf…

42. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Bustin’ out!

43. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:32 pm

What the fuck were they looking at in NY???

44. willedav said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Flavor you are forever linked to some wild stuff. Cain was 0-46 since last hit.
    Posey with the lousy RISP numbers.
    Brown with another rbi.
    Lester getting raked.

Cain with a potential W at ATT—when is the last time that happened?

45. snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Giants good this season at running themselves out of big innings. Still, Brown maybe should play a little more, the guy seems to be able to hit in the clutch. Buster starting to earn his salary today with the dinger, good work. Now, all Cain has to do is hold on for a while with at least a 4 run lead…

46. snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Alright, Cain needs to get these guys out this inning, key not to let them get any back right away. No complaints today about run support, if your team gets you 5, you need to get it done against the oppo …

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Nice job, Cain…

47. snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Giants 17-9 in games they’ve hit at least one HR…

• djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Can’t put too much stock in that one, snarkkie…

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:02 pm

I love me some HRs…

48. willedav said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Another nice AB from Specs; loved the sac bunt. Let’s see how he handles LF–this could come in very handy.

Cain’s last home W was recorded July 7 last year, 3-0 over Mets and Colon. He only gave up few hits and went 6, pen shut down the Mets with Casilla save. He only won 2 games last year, which is of course 2 more than this year.

49. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 5:59 pm

An amazing consecutive streak stat for the Cubs starting rotation came to an end in this game – A Cubs streak of 48 straight games where their starter has gone at least 5 innings. Nice job Giants!

50. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:02 pm

In the “Didn’t this shit happen last year?” department . . .

“After much pregame effort with mops, squeegees and buckets, the Oakland Coliseum stadium operations people came up with a solution to the clogged toilet in the Yankees dugout. They simply locked up the bathroom. “You had to run upstairs if you needed to use it,” Joe Girardi said. “It kept some of our bullpen guys nice and loose.”

51. zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:02 pm

I was wrong. Cain buckled down and zipped through the 4th and 5th innings. He’ll be coming out for the 6th.

52. zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Strong finish for Cainer. He has me believing.
    Peavy is the only dud.

53. zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Joe Torre’s horse died today in one of the preliminary races.

54. sandog said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Nine outs. Come on bullpen. This would be devastating to let this one slip away. Cain needs this win. Stick with me Strick-man.

55. sandog said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Bum looks like he walked into a hornet’s nest.

56. Lurker John said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Gascan doing his thing again, giving the Cubs an opening,

57. zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Osich!

58. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:42 pm

I’ve been saying for quite awhile – Osich is a stud (and a potential future closer, should Casilla face plant).

• sandog said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:43 pm

That was a helluva pitch to punch him out.

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:44 pm

It certainly was. Kid has ice in his veins.

• willedav said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:44 pm

hope so, the future closer part.
      Love to see him get stretched out and used longer than just one guy.
      Like right now–I’d leave him in for next inning.

• blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Agree Willie. Baseball (and the Giants) don’t like using lefties as closers normally (Chapman one of the exceptions). Instead, they’re used like Lopez and Affeldt in one batter situations. Dunno why that is true, except maybe because the good ones are rarer than righties.

• Lurker John said, on May 21, 2016 at 7:42 pm

There’s way more RH hitters in baseball than LH hitters.

59. willedav said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:42 pm

yeah ! the high hard one right in on his fists.
    Nice job by Osich.

60. sandog said, on May 21, 2016 at 6:44 pm

I would have thought Dr. Pepper would have pulled the “Lil Sweet” commercials after Prince’s death, but I was wrong.

61. zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 7:07 pm

You just can’t walk anybody in that situation. A mostly young bullpen with growing pains.

62. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Lopez with the steady hand.

63. Bozo said, on May 21, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Loogy Lopez gets his man.

64. alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Will Matt get that 1st victory in over a year or will Gascan give it all back?
    Inquiring minds need to know??

65. zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Sigh….

66. sfsarge said, on May 21, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Arrrrgh Casilla!

67. zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 7:33 pm

That strike on 3-0 was a gift from the ump.

• djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Sure was…

68. zumiee said, on May 21, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Ballgame! Great win.

Dodger game is on the MLB Network.

69. blade3colorado said, on May 21, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Collective sigh of relief . . . whew!

70. Bozo said, on May 21, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Big win. Huge.

71. Lurker John said, on May 21, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Great job bouncing back and beating a good pitcher to boot. Cainer with win #1 and looking like he’s rounding back into form. Yee haw.

72. sandog said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Did anybody happen to see that fan in the front of the Arcade flipping Casilla off for about 5 seconds after he gave up that blast to Fowler? Too much.
    In my opinion, sometimes a win is worth more than just a +1 in the win column. Today felt like one of those wins. Super happy for Cain.

73. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Same LU tomorrow?

74. mrsprtdude said, on May 21, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Great win.
    2/3 gonna happen. Sure wish the giants had signed Lincecum. For $2 mil it would have been worth a shot. If he fails then we are where we are now with Peavy.

75. Flavor said, on May 21, 2016 at 9:27 pm

so….fuck that gametime.co app. We all gathered together at the statue at 4pm and after the requisite high fives, fist bumps and bro hugs we all huddled around my buddy’s phone and waited to see what would happen with the *last min tickets*. It started off bad. We found 6 seats in the Club level for $50 each but when he tried to buy them they declined saying he hadn’t gotten his card confirmed yet. So he called them and 10 min later they said “you’re good to go.” At this point the game had started but when we got back to the site to score the tix they had already been sold. They were going fast, at least half of what had been available 10 min before were now gone. No more blocks of 6 so and we were panicking so tried to buy 3 and 3 for $22 each in the LF bleachers. Decline again. No reason given and buddy kept clicking on the buy button to no avail. Now I’m getting mad and want to just get into the fucking game. Turned to a scalper standing literally 4 feet from me and asked him for 6 in the Club. He wanted $600 for them. I said *fuck you* and offered him $300 and after some whimpering about all the shit going wrong in his life and couldn’t we just give him an extra $20 on top of that (which my buddy lamely caved in and did) we got into the game for $320. Below face value ($72 each) but still way too much work on our end with time running out on the game. We walked through the doors into our seats literally as Cain blasted that ball to the wall and let me tell you, that was a LOUDLY hit ball…..
    Great game tho. Fun, good energy in the crowd. And scored a bullet train ride home and the radness of that cannot be understated. Every time I go to a game now, when I sit down, I wonder what it would be like to have BuzzSaw with me…..

• sandog said, on May 21, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Great report—I was hoping you’d get on here soon.
      Was that you flipping off Casilla on national TV after he served up that bomb to Fowler?

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2016 at 9:41 pm

So, I didn’t see that. Katie was cold and not into the game so we left in the 8th. But she gets big props, she hates baseball and still was super cool about going and trying to watch the game and even said (after the whole ticket fiasco) “Daddy don’t give me money for the gift shop, you just spent so much money on tickets…” I had told her she could get a sweatshirt or whatever. I think she might have been slightly traumatized by the confrontation I had with the scalper, lol, but fuck it you can’t go into that interaction like a pussy……

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2016 at 9:52 pm

I said earlier today that the the previous name for that app was “scalper”.
        Proved true again… 😉

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:01 pm

yeah. And with the dude literally next to us while this whole fiasco was unfolding don’t think I didn’t have a quick chuckle to myself about your 1154am

• Macdog said, on May 21, 2016 at 9:45 pm

I love that you said “Fuck you” to a scalper. And glad you saw a win thanks to Cain’s pitching and hitting. Were there a lot of Cubs fans there? Hopefully that shut ’em up.

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2016 at 9:59 pm

i had heard there were a lot on Fri night and I certainly saw some today but they weren’t loud or drowning Giants fans out or anything. Of course, we kicked their ass so it was hard for them to muster much passion…..

• Bozo said, on May 21, 2016 at 9:52 pm

WTG BF.

• djloo27 said, on May 21, 2016 at 10:47 pm

For the sake of history, the box score of the “Buzzsaw” Rodriguez game is below. There are 2 Met fans out there somewhere who will also never forget it. I remember the Preakness was run that same day and Chris Brown’s HR went about 450…