Winning And Not Winning

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 25, 2016

The Giants have had very few days off this season, but is anyone else surprised we have the 2nd most wins in mlb (29) next to the Cubs (30)? With Peavy’s shenanigans and Cain’s inconsistency, it blows my mind that we have so many wins.

Very likely stuck on 29 at the end of today…..

I’m despondent about *my beloved Dubs*. I don’t understand how a team can be so dominant in the regular season only to look so painfully average in the playoffs.

1. zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 10:49 am

Peavy’s next three starts are against the Braves, Cardinals, and Dodgers. Interesting times ahead….

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 10:50 am

2. willedav said, on May 26, 2016 at 11:25 am

What I’m saying is Durant is a shooter and scorer; these type players in NBA demand the ball. Nothing wrong with that, he’s unstoppable at that height with that range and shifty moves, plus ability to draw fouls and knock down FTs. He’s a consistent top scorer in NBA and should be for years to come.

He fits in perfect with OKC when he can get the ball away from Westbrook because they don’t have other great individual options. With a team like GS, who already has 2 proven scorers including the NBA scoring champ in backcourt, someone will see lot less of the ball and get less shots and the ball would move a lot less often. But he’s on a great team already so I think chances he leaves are less than slim and none.

And that’s the thing, the fit of the team. Notice Green will defer to Iguodala when he is in there, same thing with an unselfish guy like Livingston as back up point. I don’t think GS needs more stars just more effective role players.

• chipower9 said, on May 26, 2016 at 11:32 am

Do not disagree with any of that, but I do think if Durant did end up on the Warriors, that the team could make it work. Doubt it happens, but I think the players would sort it out and make it optimum.

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2016 at 12:15 pm

this makes sense, thanks for clarifying

3. zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 11:28 am

LaRussa invaded the Pirates TV broadcasting booth during Tuesday night’s game because he is, of course, a cowardly punk.

4. willedav said, on May 26, 2016 at 11:32 am

Blade mentioned Rox in a bit of a swoon (lost 6 of last 7) and Red Sox blasted their pitching staff in sweeping them.
    Padres, glad to be away from Giants, have 3 on road at DBax. These 3 teams are combined 19 games under .500 and have collectively lost 9 in a row. Someone will break that, hopefully not the Sherps.
    I just don’t think any of the bottom feeders are going to be competitive. As long as Giants can continue to beat up on them and these teams don’t crater vs. LA, division should be theirs.
    But don’t forget 2014, when at 55-21 everything suddenly went sideways.

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 11:38 am

But the ending was nice. 🙂

• Macdog said, on May 26, 2016 at 11:43 am

Rox got one more tonight at Fenway.

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 12:00 pm

And Pirates are up 5-3 over the D-Bags.

5. zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 12:27 pm

La Russa has done such a bang-up job for Arizona.

6. zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Two nice catches in a row by Pirates corner outfielders at the fence, and both times the hometown fans did a great job of not interfering with the catches.

7. zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 12:43 pm

And, as always, the ballpark and view beyond the ballpark, is beautiful. Second only to AT&T.

8. Macdog said, on May 26, 2016 at 12:44 pm

I was a Bullets fan back in the day, and in ’79 — as defending champion — they came back from 3-1 down in the East finals to beat the Iceman Gervin-led Spurs. It wasn’t easy, but they pulled it off so it’s not impossible.

Looking back at the scores: Bullets won Game 5 at the Cap Centre by 4. I think they led most of the way but the Spurs hung around and made things tough. The main point was just get the win and stay alive, no matter if it’s a blowout or whatever. Game 6, playing at the raucous HemisFair Arena, I remember the Bullets jumped out early against a Spurs team that may have been a little tight, withstood the inevitable run and then won the fourth quarter for an 8-point win.

And then back at the Cap Centre for an epic Game 7 back, which turned out to be the hardest of all. Now the Bullets were tight, and the unstoppable Gervin led the Spurs to a fourth-quarter lead, maybe 8 or so, but the Bullets rallied late to draw even. And then, the great Bobby Dandridge hit a running jumper from the baseline over a trio of Spurs to put the Bullets up 2 with 8 seconds left, Elvin Hayes blocked a shot to ice it and the comeback was complete.

I have no dog in this fight, but I expect a double-digit win by the Warriors tonight to get it back to OKC.

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 12:53 pm

I have no memory of any of that, unfortunately; but I do remember Dandridge winning a championship with the ’70-’71 Bucks, a really great team that kind of gets forgotten. Alcindor (Jabbar), Dandridge, Oscar Robertson, Lucius Allen, and some nice role players.
      At the time, my mom bought me a book about the NBA, and it had a lot about that team in it. And I remember seeing a few of their games that season on TV, although the NBA on TV was a rare thing to find in those days.

• Macdog said, on May 26, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Yeah, I think I was the only person in NJ paying any attention to the NBA playoffs that season.

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Overall, it’s considered a down-period for the NBA. Fan interest across the nation was low. There was a lack of star power, overall. Major city franchises were struggling. And then…..Magic and Bird arrived the next year, and everything changed, of course.

• Macdog said, on May 26, 2016 at 1:07 pm

I remember Game 2 of the ’79 Finals vs. the Sonics was on tape delay, 11:30 EST on CBS, but I listened to the game live on WTOP out of D.C. The Bullets lost, so there was no way I was staying up to watch it.

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 1:17 pm

I remember Jack Sikma on the Sonics. He seemed like a different type of center for the era. Kind of ahead of his time, a big man that took a lot of shots at the elbow of the key.

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2016 at 1:27 pm

and Sikma brought the strongest of perm games night in and night out

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Ha! Oh man.

9. zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Pirates opening up a can of whooping on the D-Backs now, 8-3.

10. Irish Kevin said, on May 26, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Yes when Magic and Bird came into the NBA, they escalated basketball to whole new game. Bird the original 3 point King! And well, what can you say about Magic, talk about a complete player!! Really sad that he got the AIDS virus, So little known about it back then. I would love to know how many more championships theLak Sr. Would have won with him.

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 1:15 pm

And that they went to LA and Boston, and renewed that whole rivalry. It was very intense. Those series were so full of drama.

• sfsarge said, on May 26, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Yes! Those are some of my first memories of really being compelled by basketball. I remember being in elementary school and just completely riveted by the Lakers vs Celtics series.

• djloo27 said, on May 26, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Well, Magic as he put it, tried to “accommodate” as many women as he could.
      Kind of like a public service…

11. zumiee said, on May 26, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Pirates sweep the D-Baggery.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 26, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Sandoval, Gordon, Shields, Leake, Greinke. To be fair Greinke has righted the ship lately but otherwise the Giants off season misses have worked out pretty well.

13. djloo27 said, on May 26, 2016 at 3:25 pm

No one says a word about Suarez. Very quietly pitched 7 scoreless innings (5 hits, 3 K, and just 1 BB)…

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 26, 2016 at 4:44 pm

He may become Petit’s replacement as well as a starter in waiting. Giants have a way of transmuting quiet pickups into gold. MLB alchemy.

• alleykat69 said, on May 26, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Or he has too good of stats and the masterminds will ship him out when they get crazy horse back…

14. blade3colorado said, on May 26, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Loo and/or Macdog, what do you know about Jerry Remy? Watching the Sherps against the Red Sox and Remy providing color on the broadcast. Not a bad announcer (especially since I don’t have to listen to the Rockies broadcast), which is terrible. Anywho, I remember him playing in the late 70s, but don’t recall much . . . Also, something about his 3 kids being hellraisers, e.g., one committing a murder, another selling steroids, and a daughter arrested for assault and battery. lulz.

• Macdog said, on May 26, 2016 at 7:21 pm

I can’t offer much about Remy, since I’ve heard very little of him as an announcer.

15. pawliekokonuts said, on May 26, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Ann-Marget, born in Sweden. “Viva Las Vegas” was part of a double feature in a theater with either “A Hard Day’s Night” or “Help.” I was 15 or so. I tellya. It was a “hard day’s” something or other that I needed “help” with during the whole movie.

16. unca_chuck said, on May 26, 2016 at 7:24 pm

There’s a great example of the refs fucking with the game. Everything goes in the first half. Now a brush foul and a T on Draymond in the first minute,

17. snarkk said, on May 26, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Friggin Draymond doing stupid crap fouls, he gets near Durant and he’s going to get called for a foul. Curry gets clobbered a no whistle…

18. snarkk said, on May 26, 2016 at 7:32 pm

What’s with dubs missing friggin layups? Go in strong and dunk the damn ball. There playing again like they have 5 seconds left in the game; get focused …

19. snarkk said, on May 26, 2016 at 7:47 pm

These refs are are on crack; horrible…

20. unca_chuck said, on May 26, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Steph with a terrible turnover, and yet another bullshit call on the charge.

21. Paul Sorensen said, on May 26, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Steve, I remember Jerry Remy as the Sox 2nd bagger in my first years living in Boston in early ’80s, then he retired and went up into the NESN broadcasting booth. He was pretty popular as a player, not bad, not great (Marty Barrett replaced him at 2nd and played pretty good ball for a few years). The knock on Remy, from what I remember, was mostly his gawd-awful accent, but I didn’t mind that. He was an ok color guy although I would not rank him as extremely insightful.

22. Paul Sorensen said, on May 26, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Pawlie, it was Ann Margret in “Bye Bye Birdie” that did it for me….. that was my very first big screen movie, I think, at a NJ drive-in theater, god, I loved going to the drive-in theaters… I’m surprised someone hasn’t tried to “re-invent” them for modern days. Actually, there was still quite a successful string of drive-ins in the Boston area back then in the ’80s, and I think there’s one still operating somewhere there….

23. snarkk said, on May 26, 2016 at 7:52 pm

OKC really making it hard for dubs to get 3s off; plus the refs must have money on oKC..

24. Macdog said, on May 26, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Sharks get the Pens.

25. snarkk said, on May 26, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Other than maybe game 2, dubs have not been hitting 3s like usual; if they could do that, they could take these guys. Trying to imagine Durant on the Dubs; they’d be unstoppable…

26. snarkk said, on May 26, 2016 at 8:18 pm

They have to deny Durant the ball, because they can’t stop him…

27. snarkk said, on May 26, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Curry!

28. snarkk said, on May 26, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Refs are truly on crack…

29. snarkk said, on May 26, 2016 at 8:36 pm

I dunno, it will be very tough to beat OKC at home…

30. unca_chuck said, on May 26, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Yeah, but they did it before. They can do it again. OKC had great games from Robeson and Waiters and their bench. If the Warriors can shut their bench down better, they can take these guys. They did a much better job of getting good looks.

Missing the layups and free throws is something they can’t afford.