Dumbness. Greatness.

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 29, 2016

So let’s review how dumb the Mets are:

1. they decided to have their BEST pitcher be the one to retaliate against Utley.
  2. The retaliation doesn’t even hit him calling into question the validity of said retaliation.
  3. Thor AND the manager get thrown out of the game essentially giving the game to the Dodgers. How many mlb teams in contention give games away for free? Ever?
  4. Utley proceeds to dagger-stab them twice including a grand slam to seal the deal…..

And can we talk about what a pussy Thor is. “Gorgeous Thorgeous” (yes, I just called him that) didn’t even have the sack to hit him! He throws behind him like that was some great *message.* Ohhhhh, what could Thor have meant??!!?!?!?! Utley heard a whizzing air noise behind him. Big deal. A strong fart would have sent a similar message.

He shouldn’t have even been kicked out of the game in my opinion. Even if the umpires warned them before the game, he clearly wasn’t throwing at him. He was throwing a lame-ass “message pitch”. If he wanted to hit him I would like to think that THE WORST he woulda done is graze him if Utley managed to lurch out of the way. But he missed him by a mile and Utley barely flinched. Look, mlb pitching studs don’t miss the mark by that much, ESPECIALLY if they have the target of a free-standing human.

Enough about the lame Mets. I’m still basking in the most golden of basks. There are people chirping on twitter about the Thunder choking. Please. Such an idiotic take. They might not have the will of a champion but that wasn’t choking. That was having the unfortunate luck of being on the same court when true champions decide to go to work and enact their will upon you. Klay. Bogut. Draymond. Steph. This team has humbled me. I can’t believe I’m part of their species……

1. blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:33 am

I’m playing at least one DFS tourney with Cueto. Gulp. Seriously though, he has a greater than 50% ground ball rate and currently, the best strike out to walk ratio of his career. Hopefully, the percentages on his use will be low.

Regarding Thor, somehow I overcame the piddly ass 16 points he provided in FanDuel, to win some money. However, it could have been so much better. No idea what his and/or Collins motivation and even, intent, regarding the Utley incident.

That was an amazing game last night involving the Warriors. Frankly, I thought their goose was cooked, until the last few minutes of the 4th quarter. Warriors never gave up, despite the noisy fan support and all the other distractions. Klay was unbelievable! Loved the Twitter synopsis of all his 3 point bombs Flavor . . . Nice!

2. Carstie Clausen said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:40 am

Headline writers must be a conservative lot these days. Searched for but never found “Posey 6 Rockies 5”.

3. Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:41 am

I’m only playing at DK today where they don’t have the Coors game (in all the tourney’s I’m in). Perfect for me. Coors games suck, either you’re right about the hitters and then everyone has them too or you’re wrong and you feel like an idiot for playing so many high priced guys who did nothing. Or you sack up and fade the game and that’s just a total fucking crap shoot. I look for any tourney’s where that game isn’t offered, lol.
    But playing the pitcher is at least ensuring low ownership, good luck!

4. Macdog said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:48 am

Sorry, but this one’s completely on the jerkoff umpire. We’ve all seen pitchers get warned for throwing pitches that actually hit the batter. Why the hell should Syndergaard be ejected for not hitting Utley? As a buddy of mine who absolutely hates the Mets texted me: “The Syndergaard ejection last night was terrible judgment and complete lack of understanding of baseball by the umpire.”

The Warriors played a terrific game, and did exactly what was needed to win a Game 6 on the road and stay alive: They kept it close and then won the fourth quarter. And Thompson was magnificent. But, sorry, the Thunder also choked. The only basket I saw them make in the final minutes was a putback. Terrible offensive sets, punctuated by not even getting a shot off in the last two minutes. That’s Exhibit A of a team playing tight.

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:52 am

so what you’re saying is, you stand with me on all of the points I made in the thread. lqtm. 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Macdog said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:24 am

lulz…

5. willedav said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:04 am

Thought the inability to clear D rebounds and the missed layups was gonna doom them but GS finished strong. Barkley afterward said OKC got into “hero” mode at the end, with Westbrook and Durant trying to do everything, which only resulted in turnovers and dumb shots.

The word dubs reminds me of Jamaican music. When Marley hit it big here I used to try and read everything about him and the music hist. Dub was a style of music that I think had a sampled background riff with singer talking over it in his own voice, but I’m just guessing from memory.
    In one of Marley’s cool songs, “Bad Card” he says in middle and final chorus, “In a rub a dub style.”
    No idea what it means but it sounds great.’

Just get out of Coors healthy and on to Atlanta, where Braves are unbelievable 4-20 at home.
    Peavy and Stratton are both from South so heat/humidity shouldn’t bother them.
    Tupelo of course is also birthplace of Elvis.

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:06 am

Loo ruined the word “Dubs” for me. But I got over it. He was right.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 12:35 pm

I like Dubs. Beats Gmen, Gyros, Gigantes (maybe) or whatever nickname of choice there is for the Giants. In the dark days of yesteryear, I used to call the Giants all sorts of things, none good. Until Curry came along, I didn’t even give a S about the Warriors since about ’92 when they they had the Run TMC crew. This Dubs group is just nails. They have to win Monday night to validate last nights win as one of the greatest road wins in Bay Area sports history. I’m down with a Flapper last night that said it rivals the ’88 Niners win in Chicago. Though, I may give that win the edge — Niners went into the Bears den on a frozen day and just waxed them 28-3 I think — Unca can verify the score. That Zito win in game 5 NLCS 2012 in St. Louis is up there, too, but that one is different — it came out of nowhere. I still remember, I was in a Pizza Bar near Blackhawk, watching that game downing an IPA waiting for my daughter to finish a horse riding thing, and Zito dropped that perfect bunt down 3rd base for an RBI — he even looked like he couldn’t believe it when he came back to stand on first. Right then I figured we had that game — the baseball gods were on our side…

6. zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:08 am

I had a suspicion Collins wasn’t a very bright manager. All of that confirmed.
    In the World Series last year, there’s no way Bochy would have let Harvey talk him into getting one more inning.

7. blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:15 am

As I said earlier, I don’t know what the motivation or intent was regarding the Thor, Collins, and Utley incident. Thor, nor Collins are indicating that it was anything but a ball that got away from Thor (or at least, that’s what I read last night. Dunno if someone fessed up this morning).

In any event, Macdog brings up an excellent point (8:48am post) that no one else has addressed . . . Specifically, that the umpire screwed up by overreacting to the pitch.

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:20 am

actually I did address it by saying he shouldn’t have been kicked out of the game. But regardless, a lot of people on social media are giving it to the umpire and he certainly played a role in escalating things that didn’t need to be escalated. I still think this falls way more on Thor being a pussy. Come on, that ball didn’t get away and they would never admit publicly what they were doing for fear of a longer suspension.

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:26 am

My bad . . . You did mention that.

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:30 am

it’s cool I know that no one really reads what I write anyway. 🙂 Everyone’s just scrolling down looking for a Twinfan sighting. 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:36 am

Probably like you – myself and everyone else is multi-tasking, e.g., DFS LUs, weather reports in support of DFS, reading about Trumps latest imbecilic statement, chatting on the phone, chatting on Skype, Facebook likes, eating breakfast, morning coffee, etc., etc., etc.

Oh, and taking time to read your opening thread monologue! 🙂

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 10:07 am

You left out vacantly staring into space…

8. Dennis Zucchino said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:16 am

I’m really saluting Parker’s performance so far….here’s hoping it’s no flash….
    Speaking of saluting…. enjoyed the shot and salute to the flag this morning!

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:35 am

So far, so good. He keeps it up and SF may enjoy actually posting a success in development of homegrown outfielders. Parker appears to be more than adequate as a defensive outfielder and though not very likely to ever enjoy a high OBP, hits the ball hard resulting in a nifty share of doubles and dingers which in turn tend to result in an elevated slugging percentage. If he can maintain a BA in the .265 range we could well be looking at a longterm keeper.

9. Macdog said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:25 am

I’m out for the day/night. Let’s go Johnny C and beat those Rocksuckers!

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 29, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Rocksuckers ….good one

10. Carstie Clausen said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:29 am

Stats Time. Strikeouts and walks. Highest ranked of Giants in actually striking out is Crawford who is tied for 38th in the league with 39 whiffs. No other Giant makes the top 50 in that category. With 35 walks Belt is 3rd in the NL. This seems to work on a team basis as well. Giants strike out the least in the NL with a total of 321, while in a comfy third place in walks with 193. Nice ratio. The flipside is interesting as well. Here SF is a mediocre 7th in special K’s, with our hurlers matching that figure in being 2nd in walks allowed.

In terms of overall ratings the Giants tend to be 5th in a plurality of pitching prowess and 6th offensively. This balance is good for 2nd in the NL in W-L record and tops in the NLW. Curiously, SF pitchers have been hit at a .258 BA against while our hitters have a composite batting average of….. .258. Seems like that abundance of walks compared with a relative paucity of strikeouts make all the difference in what on the surface would appear to be a measure of mediocrity.

11. blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:29 am

Before I forget – thank you to all the Veterans for this life I lead in America. We’re able to play because of your service!

12. willedav said, on May 29, 2016 at 11:05 am

Gal friend of mine did a cool thing for her 2 b-ball crazy sons (17 and 19) yesterday. For $25 a pop she got them tickets to sit in O arena and watch the Warriors game with how many thousand other fans. Not sure I dig the yellow shirts (or OKC blue) for everyone but every time they showed crowd shots the place was going wild.

She’s coming into town tmw to meet for breakfast before work (retail, ugh), so I’ll get the sccop.
    Wonder if GS makes it to Finals what the tab would be on something like this.

13. pawliekokonuts said, on May 29, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Twitter had a tweet about ineffable Steph. Mom with kid. Asks for autograph. Kid’s got a Durant jersey, OKC hat. Mom apologizes, says, “He’s a Durant fan.” Curry: “I am too.” Stoops for photo.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 12:38 pm

If the Dubs go onto win the title this year, IMO Steph will be right next to Joe, maybe one half step below, the top of the Bay Area sports mountaintop. And, he’s a nicer guy than Joe…

• ewisco said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:55 pm

they ran that story in this morning’s chron as well. ridiculously classy.

14. pawliekokonuts said, on May 29, 2016 at 12:35 pm

I am on Amtrak. In a tunnel. Under Manhattan or the Bronx. Ooops. Not underground. Maybe under the Westside highway.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Good article. I will always love me some Timmeh. The guy has been on top of the mountain, now he’s down on the other side, but he’s not sweatin’ it. He’s dealing with what he’s got, and trying to make the best of it. Seems to me though, that maybe they are pushing it a bit quickly in terms of facing not much live competition before he gets up to the big club. He knows his body, though, so good luck to him…

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 29, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Yeah, good story. Thanks, Loo. Sitting in an unmoving train near Penn Station, NYC.

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 12:47 pm

interesting to consider that Timmy won both his CY’s before we won our FIRST world series.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 12:54 pm

If the Giants had any kind of offense the two years he won the Cy’s, he would have won 20+ games…

15. snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Bochy says Cain’s hammy will keep him out two weeks.
    So, I figure he might be back by first week of July…

16. Lurker John said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Are we sure Collins ordered the pitch? Who’s to say Syndegaard didn’t do it on his own?

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:10 pm

that makes Thor look like even more of an idiot. So he took it upon himself to NOT hit the guy and still get kicked out of a game that just basically had started? LAME.

• Lurker John said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Whether it makes him look like an idiot or not, I always figured most of the time over the years the pitcher was doing it to stand up for his teammate. Me, I would’ve drilled him right in the hip.

17. snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:01 pm

That blurb yesterday on Buster walking around the clubhouse with a heat pad on is interesting to me. I keep wondering why they treat this guy like he’s made of Murano glass. Maybe he is. Maybe he started out with and still has an “old body”, even though he’s not even 30. I heard K&K on their pregame a few minutes ago talking about Buster “needing a break” or some shit like that. Kreiminy, it’s not even June; he barely caught in ST because they didn’t want to wear him out early. If he’s that fragile, then yeah, they need to figure out what to do sooner than later. Brown looks like he might be a decent FT catcher substitute. Put Posey at 1b and move Belt to the OF, since Pagan is gone next season. At this rate, one more full season at catcher and Posey will need a dang wheelchair and a hyperbaric chamber…

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:09 pm

catching has got to be hard. I never did it, too tall, but all that squatting up and down all game, it’s gotta wear you out.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:14 pm

No doubt, but I listen to the Giants on radio all the time. The SF announcers are often dropping nuggets that Buster is “dinged up”, or “needs a break”, or some shit like that. Often. They never say that nearly as much, if ever, about anybody else that isn’t obviously injured. If I’m paying this guy $20 million a year for another 4 years, I’ve got to be thinking about getting him at 1b so he can earn that coin with his bat. He’s a good catcher and calls good games, but at some point, you’ve got to think about whether catching is seriously wasting the investment in this guy. When he’s going well at the plate, he’s a helluva lot better hitter than Brown or Susac. I don’t know if he’s a helluva lot better at a catching fastballs than either of them; and they can learn to call games, plus the starters are all vets, they don’t need a catcher to hold their hands calling pitches…

• Lurker John said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Good point loo, that’s like the squatting on steroids. After the first week of the season, I’d guess that every regular catcher is dinged up to some degree or another. The tools of ignorance, indeed.

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Salvador Perez is out for a week. The Dodgers can barely keep Grandal on the field. Catching is tough, and tougher than ever, as some have pointed out. Batters are better than in past generations at fouling off pitches and grinding out long ABs.
      Buster is still on pace for over 600 plate appearances for a guy whose primary position is catcher, and that is very good.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:18 pm

I’m very contract driven. This is a contract driven league and organization. Posey is the top paid position player. He hits like a motha when he’s playing at 1b. I don’t know if catching him for 450 of those plate appearances is the best use of his talent…

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:21 pm

There’s also more ball blocking than ever. Years ago a pitcher would try to get a hitter to chase outside.
        Now everything’s in the dirt…

• Lurker John said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:18 pm

I think all catchers go through a lot more than most fans realize, regardless of body type. Sure, that’s going to factor in, think of Yadi who has what we might think of as a prototypical catchers body, the grind of all the squatting and throwing and fielding 95 mph pitches, 130-150 games a year, year after year, is going to make the toughest guy break down eventually.

18. Lurker John said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Shit, I can go see Timmy pitch Thursday, maybe get some pics. Maybe even get a pic with he and I.

19. snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:22 pm

I’m cool with the ump throwing the Idiothor out of the game for throwing back of Utley. It was obvious that was not a real pitch, it was a purpose pitch or a lameass try at hitting him. Do you have to warn a team not to throw at the batter again, if the first try doesn’t hit him? So, you give the pitcher a second shot at the batter, and maybe he’s got better aim the next time? That’s crazy in my book…

• Lurker John said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:29 pm

I think warnings should’ve been issued to both dugouts. One of the announcers made the point that fans pay good dough to see one of the best young pitchers in baseball only to see him tossed in the 3rd inning. I think it’s a valid point.

20. snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Buster must be wearing those heat pads again — another double! Keep up the heat pads…

21. Lurker John said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:31 pm

I still think the newer generation of umps is way too confrontational.

22. djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:34 pm

I would hit for Cueto here and try to break this thing wide open early…

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:41 pm

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:43 pm

lulz!

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:47 pm

That is the best 10 second piece of acting I’ve seen in quite a while.
        Well, next to Bochy’s pressers after yet another Peavy debacle…

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:52 pm

Hey Tom — you know Scientology is nothing but an absolute money making scam cult, right?…

23. djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I have a theory that “Mountain time” only exists in Colorado…

24. djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:43 pm

What an idiot not touching the bag with his front arm…

25. Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Zumiee is the gif champ of the blog

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:48 pm

I loved the Eastwood one he would use last year after a victory…

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Yep…

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Clint agrees.

26. zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Ump flips coin on close call; makes the wrong call.

27. snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:51 pm

It’s nice the Giants can get up on a team early. Maybe that helps take pressure off their later ABs. Theoretically. Or maybe not. But, I definitely like it; saves on nail biting…

28. djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Mr. So-So Rusin…

29. snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 2:02 pm

If Pence is on, he really jacks up this lineup. If this lineup starts actually scoring runs consistently, it should be sayonara for the rest of the West. The only thing holding this crew back could be the Pen. There’s time to figure that out, though…

30. snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 2:13 pm

MLB now wants the strike zone to begin at the top of the back of the knees; not the bottom of the back of the knees. I’m sure that will make a big difference to these ego driven umps whose zone differs between half innings, if not consecutive batters…

31. pawliekokonuts said, on May 29, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Headed now for grand and stately 30th St. station, Philly. 5-1. Yes!

32. pawliekokonuts said, on May 29, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Newark. NJ. Not NY or Delaware.

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Are the words of the prophets written on the walls? Badda boomp.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 29, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Good one. Paul Simon born there. Philip Roth, too, right?

33. snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Gotta like Cueto. Smart pitching there. Didn’t give in to Arenado. Better to walk in one run, than give up 3 on a bases clearing double or some such…

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Totally agree.

34. pawliekokonuts said, on May 29, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Huge DP, right?

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Could be the play of the game.

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 2:26 pm

That inning was getting gnarly.

35. snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 2:40 pm

About 7 or 8 years ago I was in Philly for a conference. Early summer, hotter’n crap. I walked about 6 or 7 blocks from the Independence Hall area, into some neighborhood that looked really dicey, lots of boarded up shops. But, I was looking for a internet recommended brewpub/restaurant, and found it on a corner somewhere. Had the best hanger steak EVER. Was awesome, worth the sweaty walk. Plus a couple of good brews, and some good convo at the bar, lots of baseball talk. Have no clue now what its name was or whether it’s still there. I checked Google Maps for a few minutes, didn’t recognize anything…

36. snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Might help if the Giants stop getting themselves picked off and running themselves into other outs on the base paths…

37. Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 3:48 pm

shocker. Osich comes in and walks someone. Bomb coming up.

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Hope it was worth the wait…

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:19 pm

took longer than I imagined.

38. willedav said, on May 29, 2016 at 3:58 pm

the awesome at em out and Osich gets out of it.

snarkk, Brown was only a .245 hitter in the minors and hasn’t seen much ml pitching. He might be another Mendoza line guy, like the Prez and Hacktor.
    susac hasn’t been able to stay healthy at all. Zero depth at C unfortunately.

I’d let Bochy manage Posey however he needs to; the guy is an AS at C. He needs a day off, fine. It’s not the Giants can’t afford ice bags or heat pads.
    I’m not convinced Posey would be an AS at 1b if he had to play there everyday Belt is a much better 1b who saves runs with the glove. In LF he’d be liability. For now I’d leave well enough alone.

• willedav said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:00 pm

if this was the Stick, Baer would run a promo for night games where he’d give away a heat pad to first 5 thou…which sometimes would have meant everyone including ushers and vendors.

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:05 pm

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Popeye can’t even say the word “animals” and yet he’s peeling hundos off a stack like it was nuthin’. No one walks around that happy all the time. Conclusion: he was dealing and doing ALLLLLLL the drugs…….

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Popeye had to have Brandy and some other harbor chickies in other ports. No way he’d put up with Olive Oyl on a solo basis…

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 5:04 pm

I always found her oddly attractive.
        I never went for the real pretty ones.

39. Lurker John said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:06 pm

That’s right, beat the crap out of these fucks.

40. djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Strickland’s in. What body of water should Arenado aim for?

41. willedav said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:13 pm

that was crushed. the at em guy was in the second deck.

42. Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:14 pm

I’m not sure how many more appearances from Osich that Bochy needs to see before he shitcans him. As I’ve said for 2 weeks, all this guy does is walk batters and give up bombs…….

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Romo comes back, Osich w/options is definitely a name on the list, but his saving grace is being lefty. Kontos has a major league contract, so unlikely he goes…

43. Carstie Clausen said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:18 pm

No feed from Chronicle coverage past top of 2nd inning. I have no other current sources for score, etc. What’s been happening?

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Something should be coming over the Teletype machine momentarily…

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Stix I don’t even know where to start other than to thank you for making the Flap one of two places you visit on the internet. Assuming you’re aware there are other news sources but maybe you just like news being reported to you from people you’re familiar with?
      We are winning 8-3 in the bottom of the 9th. Span went deep. We’ve hit 8 doubles which I think I heard was a team record. Osich came in and walked dudes and gave up a bomb. There is now 2 outs in the 9th. Will report back if we don’t close this one out.

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Thanx for the info, Flav. Believe it or not, it’s not only 2 places on the net for me. Had been outside planting tomatoes and peppers ~ pretty intense right now as gardening season is high prime and there’s never as many of me as all the homesteading tasks demand. Busiest time of year here on Echo Ridge. Had quite a bit of sun when i got back indoors for a quick break without even so much as the day’s second beer. Totally forgot till the next break that i could simply google “Mlb scores” and get the info. But even when i did that the first two on the list were both video sites and the G4 powerbook Twin ultimately fixed me up with did not come with a secondhanded password so i have never been able to download software updates. Thus most video-based sites simply do not happen on this machine.

Third time lucky, though. Along comes the USA Today site and its print based. No problemo. Giants up 8-3 in the bottom of the 8th. Even our bullies pitching in the Box of Rox should hold them. Back to the garden.

44. Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:34 pm

never get tired of hearing Blackmon’s walk up song, “your love” by Outfield. Lost my virginity to that song! lol

45. Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:37 pm

that Flannery “Cueto rap” is so epic. What baseball tv guy could pull that off besides him? Clever to say the least.

46. snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:54 pm

I may start a Lincecum style luv affair mit Cueto. The guy is a combo of Marichal, Tiant and a little Hrabosky, throw in a little Peter Tosh. He knows what the hell he’s doing. If he could give by osmosis some of his pitching smarts to Strickland, that dude would be unhittable…

47. snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 4:56 pm

It’s more than nice to take 2 of 3 from the Rocks in their planetoid. Normally, house of horrors. If Giants can push their hitting heat-up into Atlanta, they should take at least 3 outta 4 from that sad sack crew…

48. djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Think the Mets make a dent in Kershaw tonight?

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Maybe a door ding…

49. mrsprtdude said, on May 29, 2016 at 5:31 pm

I’m echoing Flav from a few days ago…Still hard to believe we have 2nd best record in MLB!!

50. zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 5:47 pm

The ESPN crew is raving about Kershaw’s pitching accomplishments, with no mention of his 2-6 and 5 ERA record in the playoffs. I don’t care what historic things he is doing in the regular season, until he does it in the playoffs, it’s not going to matter as much in the long run. His playoff performance will be part of his legacy, good or bad. It’s certainly that way in other sports. In basketball and football, the expectation is that greatness is defined by playoff performance, too.

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 6:23 pm

They just laid it on even thicker without mentioning it…

51. zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Popeye didn’t have that thought out very well. What was he expecting to happen when he set all those dogs free?
    Well, at least he made up for it in the end.

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Most of my education has come from cartoons, Zum…

52. unca_chuck said, on May 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Love the Jim Morrison reference at 1:59, DJ.

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Thanks, Chucky. It’s better if you sing it…

• unca_chuck said, on May 29, 2016 at 6:40 pm

I am the lizard king. I can do anything. . . .

Thought it was awesome that there was an East Coast Hockey League team in Jacksonville Fla called the Lizard Kings. Think I heard his dad just passed away. Rear Admiral in the US Navy.

Speaking of Navy, thanks to one and all who have served. . .

53. blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Went to lunch and then the game with a couple of friends – they had a spare ticket, when one buddy’s wife wasn’t feeling well – both Sherpa fans. However, there were easily 25-30%, maybe more Giants fans at Coors, so I definitely didn’t feel alone. Highlights? Easily, Span’s bomb in right field, second deck. Must have gone 450 feet at least. Span also made a great throw nailing Parra at 3rd. Cueto getting out of that 3rd inning bases loaded jam was huge! Actually, it seemed like he was getting out of jams all day. constantly breaking Sherpa fans hearts. Cueto works extremely fast . . . He pissed off 2-3 batters at least (especially Parra), disrupting their rhythm and batting glove ritual bullshit. Hilarious. Other Giant pitchers could learn a lot from how he works fast and is all business. Love the guy! Pence made a nice grab in the corner right field which might have gone for extra bases. I think Span, Pence and Buster had 3 hits. Maybe Blanco too. Conga line was hummin’ . . .

The sell out crowd was quite subdued – except for Giants fans – as the Giants provided most of the fireworks. Coors is a weird, but beautiful stadium. Not certain if any of you have been here before (maybe Chi, Chuck and Eric have been here). Someone yesterday or the day before called it a “bandbox.” That’s a misnomer. Just the opposite in fact, as the outfield is probably the biggest in MLB. All of your fielders need to be positioned correctly and able to run well to the gaps. Consequently, the Rockies brain trust is screwed if they move in the fences (altitude), raise them – which they did (again, altitude), or extend the fences outward (the gaps and territory becoming even greater). Also, the fans here are very nice. They know their team usually sucks, so they go with the flow and there’s little conflict between them and other fans. Twenty plus years of futility will do that to you. Actually, this is where millennials come to be seen, flirt and text back and forth. They built a party deck last season (did they mention that on the broadcast?) and it is the epicenter of what I’m talking about. Most of them could give 2 shits who won or lost. As all of them are looking to score there or immediately afterwards in LODO. lulz

All in all, a great day at the ball park, with the rain even cooperating, not starting until we left the park. 🙂

54. unca_chuck said, on May 29, 2016 at 6:32 pm

ESPN reported that Tony Romo was the best QB in Dallas history recently. They believe the world was created in 1980 when they came on the air. Or whenever the current guy yammering about any given topic decided to pay attention for the previous 5 minutes.

It’s called short attention span theater.

55. unca_chuck said, on May 29, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Never been to the roxbox but will in September. Yeah the wall in CF is 415 and it isn’t curved so it’s plenty deep.

56. zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Because of pitchcount, Kershaw likely has one more inning, the 7th. And Jansen gets the 9th, so the Mets have the 8th inning as their little window of opportunity.

57. zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Cubs vs. Dodgers for four games this week; should be interesting.

58. Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Warriors 7 point favs tomorrow. Can’t decide how I feel about that…….

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:37 pm

OBD really showed what they’re made of last night.
      I’m predicting 57 for Curry…

59. Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:22 pm

I’ve seen Kershaw pitch way too many times to ever be in awe of him as these dipstick ESPN announcers seem to be, but 104K/5bb is utterly insane. I looked up The Eck to see if he ever came close to that as I had remembered him to. Very close, 55/3 in ’89. Romo 70/5 in 2011. But they were relievers. Kershaw might be putting together one of if not THE best pitching year of all time.

60. zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:26 pm

The Mets went down so quickly in the 7th, maybe Kershaw comes out for the 8th. He’s at 105 pitches.

61. zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:27 pm

This is a way closer game than I expected anyway for a Colon vs. Kershaw match-up.

62. Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:42 pm

I don’t like that none of these helmets or hats have even a spec of dirt or pine tar on them. In fact, I hate that.

63. Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:45 pm

I just watched the movie The Giver this afternoon with my daughter. That’s how baseball feels to me sometimes. They are just white washing all the uniqueness, all the emotion, all the *flavor* from the game. Look at the dirt infields and the pitchers mound. Spotless. I haven’t seen a hot dog wrapper blowing around home plate since the 90’s.

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:04 pm

It’s an ongoing debate in NY about how most of the “grit” has been cleaned up. (Times Square, etc.)

64. Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Dave Roberts is such an idiot. Pulling Kershaw for ANOTHER lefty instead of leaving him in or bringing in Jansen. Whoops, that didn’t work!

65. blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:48 pm

It seems like Roberts always makes these tactical moves and always gets burned. lulz

66. djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:49 pm

I almost feel bad for Puig. Great try. Hope this one goes 23 innings…

67. zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Odd bit of managing from Roberts. Replaced Kershaw during the inning with a…..lefty. Pure pitchcount move, I guess.

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:52 pm

it was a classic “Matt Williams” move…

68. Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:53 pm

great, more of this familia bullshit.

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Guarantee everybody at that game is having Benitez flashbacks…

69. zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Familia is brutal. He doesn’t really know where his pitches are going.

70. zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:00 pm

The Mets will never be winning a World Series with this guy as their closer.

71. blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Loo, I’m not certain you are watching the Mets broadcasting crew, so don’t know if you can answer this . . . There are 3 people in the booth, who is the female providing color?

• djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:05 pm

It’s the ESPN crew here too, Blade. I think her name is Jessica Mendoza…

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:06 pm

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:08 pm

She’s not bad, although fairly quiet. Guess that’s to be expected due to having 3 in the booth.

• Lurker John said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:12 pm

She hasn’t been getting much rhythm from Flappers lately. She’s a nice lady, but she still annoys the hell out of me.

72. Macdog said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:02 pm

I wish Familia would throw behind someone.

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:04 pm

he’s probably been trying to

73. Lurker John said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Terry Collins is an idiot.

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Contrast to Bochy, and how Bochy took out a struggling Casilla for a LOOGY, and ticked off Casilla, but it won the game for the Giants.

• Lurker John said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Collins can’t carry Boch’s soiled jockstrap.

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Totally agree.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Does it have to be soiled?…

74. Lurker John said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Familia has been awful all week, twice against the Dog-ears and once against the Nats earlier in the week. He got out of that one but not before coughing up a few runs. He had no idea where his pitches were going tonight.

75. Lurker John said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Kershaw’s WHIP: .65. That’s just sick.

76. zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:21 pm

In a tribute to the Rockies ballpark, the lovely Jesse Sykes sings “The Air Is Thin.”

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:36 pm

never heard of her. that wasn’t half bad.

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:43 pm

I saw her and her band perform at The Independent, in SF. Great show.

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:49 pm

i saw Sophie B Hawkins perform at Slims in ’89. Surprisingly very good.

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:10 pm

I haven’t been to Slim’s in a while. There was a time when I saw several shows there. Even had dinner there, and it was very good. Grilled salmon, with rice, and a vegetable. One of my favorite meals.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:33 pm

I saw Van Morrison at the Great Am Music Hall and then again at the Berkeley Comm Theater in the ’80s, both great shows. Saw Buddy Guy in a club in Houston in the mid ’90s — greatest club show I’ve ever seen. Epic. Saw Dizzy Gillespie and his cheeks at Kimball’s East sometime in the early 90’s, too, great show — I think he passed about a year later…

77. Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:51 pm

and this is just the team, lulz
    Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff 20m20 minutes ago
    @timkawakami Warriors jacked up Finals tickets for everyone. My regular season ticket face value $105, WCF $350, NBA Finals are $900.

78. djloo27 said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Flavor: If you catch the replay of Puig’s missed catch on Granderson before, you’ll be happy to see that he literally lands on a lonely hot dog wrapper…

• Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:58 pm

good. Now let’s see some of them scattered and flying around home plate. That’s the shit I like.

79. Flavor said, on May 29, 2016 at 8:57 pm

if any of you want to hear the best nba play by play guy do his thing, here’s the last 5 min of last night’s game

• zumiee said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Better than Grant Napear? Kidding.
      Roye is awesome.

• snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Great calls.
      That shot by Klay from the right wing from about 27′ after Iggy stripped Westbrook was unreal. He barely gathered in the pass, and then went up for the jumper tied 101-101, and his make pushed it to 104-101. That was a shot for the ages…

80. Macdog said, on May 29, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Cueto and Smardj both 1-0 at Coors this season. That alone might be worth those big contracts.

81. snarkk said, on May 29, 2016 at 10:56 pm

Unreal how many of these national talking heads on radio are against the Dubs, ragging on Curry for unknown or idiotic reasons — like he brings his kid to pressers. I hope the Dubs blast the OKC tomorrow night. If they do, they will issue a beat down to Cleveland, which is not as good as OKC…

• unca_chuck said, on May 29, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Like the Giants/Rangers World Series and all the shit Timmy got.

• blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2016 at 6:18 am

Well, that guy I detest, Stephen A. (he drops the Smith as if everyone should know who he is) said that both Westbrook and Durant “FLAT OUT CHOKED” . . . Said it not once but twice in an on-air interview, also saying, “they came up small on the biggest stage.” I was laughing at that one, i.e., I don’t think the Thunder have as many options as the Warriors do. Who’s their 3rd option? Serge Ibaka? Give me a break . . . Maybe a couple of years ago.

In any event, I just think that the Thunder has Westbrook and Durant, then the options are thin and none. Choke is a very strong word and in my mind, I didn’t see that. What I did see was complete exhaustion by both of them, as they have been averaging 42 minutes or more per game in these playoffs. Consequently, they made many mistakes in the last few minutes.

82. Paul Sorensen said, on May 29, 2016 at 11:21 pm