Cleveland Fans Are Crazy

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 31, 2016

I use Twitter for one main reason: to gather micro and macro information immediately. I haven’t found a better way to synthesize news about the things I’m interested in any quicker than with Twitter. Of course, I’ve got my *guilty pleasure* follows. If any of you are fans of 70’s sports I implore you to follow @Super70sSports. But most of my follows are carefully coordinated towards immediate, accurate fantasy sports news (weather, line ups, injuries, etc….). I’d say 70% of the (non-friend) people I follow are for this reason. And I don’t try to get followers, in fact I block anyone who follows me who I don’t know.

But last Winter I stumbled across this guy: @VernThompsonNBA. He made some idiotic predictions about Cleveland beating the Warriors by 10+ in the game the Warriors beat them by 40. Instead of passing him by as I do most twit-idiots I decided to follow him since he had 5000 followers and I was actually interested in getting a pulse on the Cleveland fan base sports scene. I figured we’d see them again in the finals and wanted to know their mindset since we handed them their ass last Summer.

Here is what I’ve learned about Cleveland fans over the last 6 months from following Vern: they are passionate. They are desperate for a championship. They are pretty dumb. They hate the Warriors and specifically Steph Curry. The reasons they hate him are not rational. If you want to see what I mean give this guy a follow, you’ll pick up on the vibe quite quickly.

To my paranoid point this morning: I believe this town is riddled with “Jeff Gillooly”wannabees. I truly and honestly hope security is tight for the Warriors when they’re in Cleveland for games 3 and 4. These fans are capable of anything……

_____________________

Now, back to baseball. You wanna point to underwhelming games this year? I bet we look back on the season and point to this one. Peavy. Atlanta. Gonna have trouble gearing up for this one…….

1. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2016 at 6:16 am

“twit-idiots.” LOL

2. gianthead said, on May 31, 2016 at 6:54 am

If you all remember back in our Giants playoff run in 2012, Game 3 in Cincy was an elimination game and was watching in a local bar as my oldest was at bball practice. And to shake things up, I switched my drink to a White Russian as we headed to the top of the 9th.

We took the lead in the 10th and we never looked back. But every game I had a White Russian, the Giants won. And I swear the 3 games we lost to the Cards were days without (the first one I think I had run out of the Kahlua on a Sunday and could not replenish on a ‘Holy’ Day and then I think there was an intentional miss expecting to lose one of those Cards games and not willing to risk losing the White Russian magic).

So to say the least I broke out the Magic Elixir for Game 6! And Game 7!

Not wanting to waste the cure on the Sharks in a Game 1 road game, I did not pour and have my first sip until the Warrior tip-off. I have to wisely use the power in key moments….

• Flavor said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:06 am

well, I’d like to think it was Pawlie’s “We Score We Win” text that was the true turning point in the 2012 series but if you wanna give your drink some credit, who am I to argue?
      Honestly, I’m having trouble processing this trip to the WCF. I’m used to going “every other year”. Not back to back. 🙂 🙂 🙂

3. blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:09 am

Good post Flav. I only use Twitter for DFS LU changes (as you suggested a couple of years ago). Otherwise, for me – it’s a waste of time, albeit, for shit and giggles, reading Trump’s idiotic ramblings are sometimes hilarious.

I also thought Twitter might be a good investment shortly after it went public. However, I wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole, as they have failed to monetize the site, i.e., advertisers hate it. ROI is nil, as they have never made a profit. To date, the stock has fallen more than 39 percent in 2016 and has shed 61 percent over the past year. Ugh.

4. blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:25 am

Just read this about Twitter – Katy Perry has 89 million followers on Twitter, which apparently is the most of anyone. A couple of hours ago, her account got hacked and her followers woke up to a series of profanity-filled Tweets. I hope a Dodger fan doesn’t hack your account Flavor! 🙂

5. Bozo said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:45 am

I’ve had some fun in Cleveland and hey, they have the National Cleveland-Style Polka Hall of Fame and Museum there, how crazy can they be?

• Bozo said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:47 am

I think the Cleveland style is mostly Slovenian while Chicago style is mostly Polish.

• eddacker said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:58 am

nice view, Polka and classy Polish (slovak). thanks

6. willedav said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:46 am

It all starts with LB. If things don’t go his way he’s always whining about something.
    This year it’s about Curry, and the old mvp/best player argument. In his mind he should have won something.

Romo has only pitched 3 innings this year, so hopefully he can be fresh and ready to go. Hope the loogy side of things get sorted out.
    Given general state of pen, what would you do after this season when his contract runs out? 2 more yrs?

Last year numbers: 3 HRs in 57 innings 10 BBs 71 Ks ridiculous numbers vs. RH

B/R says he is 33, drafted in 28th round. Course they also list him as 5 ft 11 and 185, lol

• chipower9 said, on May 31, 2016 at 10:13 am

Not sure why Romo has not gotten more work. My daughter was at the Rivercats game on Friday and saw Romo pitch…said he looked really good. Consistently throwing high 80s with lots of movement. Not sure what I would do with him after this year…I think my answer would depend to a large degree on what he does this year.

7. zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:58 am

I think Pawlie’s “We Score We Win” text was in 2010, during the Phillies playoff series, if I remember correctly.

• eddacker said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:00 am

It is also in my hamper, wore it Sunday

8. zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:01 am

What an amazingly long drought the city of Cleveland has experienced in regards to pro team championships. Although, technically, the Baltimore Ravens were the Cleveland Browns, and those championships could have been Cleveland championships.
    And it’s impossible to feel any sympathy for the Cleveland baseball team with that hideous racist logo. Although, apparently, they are not using the logo as much anymore.

9. zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:11 am

The opposite of Twitter is books.
    I read this recently and found it very interesting. It’s from a piece by author Peter Seth about “The Habits of Writers”:

Truman Capote wrote lying down, as did Marcel Proust, Mark Twain and Woody Allen.
    Charles Dickens, Winston Churchill, Virginia Woolf, Ernest Hemingway, Philip Roth, Lewis Carroll, Thomas Jefferson, and George Sand all wrote standing up.
    Roald Dahl wrote in a shed.
    Elmore Leonard writes on yellow legal pads.
    Don DeLillo types each paragraph onto its own sheet of paper, so that he might concentrate better.
    Gay Talese would pin pages of his writing to a wall and examine them from the other side of the room with binoculars.
    Ethan Canin copied John Cheever paragraphs out to learn what made the man’s writing tick.
    J.G. Ballard, a fan of discipline in writing, prepared very long outlines, and aimed for 1,000 words a day.
    Walter Benjamin advocated delaying writing an idea as long as possible, so that it would be more maturely developed.
    Will Self uses a wall of Post-It notes to plan and structure his writing.
    Both Graham Greene and Larry McMurtry wrote 300-350 words a day, every day.
    Wallace Stevens composed his poems on slips of paper while walking, and then gave them to his secretary to type up.
    Edgar Allan Poe wrote his final drafts on separate pieces of paper attached to a scroll with sealing wax.
    Jack Kerouac wrote ON THE ROAD on one continuous roll of paper.
    James Joyce wrote lying on his stomach in bed, with a large blue pencil, dressed in a white coat.
    John Steinbeck wrote his drafts in pencil and always kept twelve perfectly sharpened pencils on his deak.
    Truman Capote was superstitious: he wouldn’t begin or end a piece of work on a Friday … wouldn’t stay in a hotel room that had the number “13” in it … and never left more than three cigarette butts in an ashtray.
    Golding, Norman Mailer, and Arthur Conan Doyle all claimed to write 3,000 a day. Stephen King’s quota is 2,000 words. Thomas Wolfe aimed for 1,800 words.
    Anthony Trollope trained himself to write 250 words every 15 minutes, pacing himself with a watch.
    John McPhee ties himself to his desk with neckties, so that he has to stay there and write.
    Friedrich Schiller kept rotten apples in the bottom drawer of his desk. The smell somehow inspired him.
    Agatha Christie ate apples in her bathtub while conceiving her plots. Flannery O’Connor loved vanilla wafers. Vladimir Nabokov loved molasses.
    Gertrude Stein and Vladimir Nabokov liked to write in parked cars.
    Sir Walter Scott composed poetry on horseback.
    Maya Angelou would leave her apartment in the morning around 7 a.m., go to a tiny, bare hotel room, and write until 2 p.m. The only things she brought with her were a Bible, a deck of cards or book of crossword puzzles, and a bottle of sherry.
    Balzac’s daily schedule was quite unusual. He’d eat a light dinner and be in bed by 6 p.m., before rising at 1 a.m. for his first seven-hour stretch of writing. At 8 a.m., he would take a 90-minute nap, then wake up and write until 4 p.m. Then he would take a walk, visit with friends, and take a bath, bringing him back to his 6 p.m. bedtime. It’s remarkable that he could sleep at all since he was known to drink around 50 cups of coffee a day.
    Edith Wharton famously wrote from bed every morning, surrounded by her little dogs and aided by servants who picked up and organized the sheets of paper that she dropped to the floor.
    Vladimir Nabokov wrote on index cards that he could re-arrange easily. His novel ADA took him 2,000 cards.
    To meet his deadline for THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE-DAME, Victor Hugo had all his clothes confiscated so that he had stay inside and finish his manuscript.

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:15 am

I love this post! You forgot one . . . The notes on Leonardo da Vinci’s famous Vitruvian Man image are in mirror writing. Leonardo da Vinci wrote most of his personal notes in mirror, only using standard writing if he intended his texts to be read by others.

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:24 am

Yeah, that’s incredible.
        The word “genius” gets thrown around so much today that it gets watered down in its meaning. But actual genius is stunning. Da Vinci, Mozart, and so forth. It’s possible Prince was a genius. Can athletes show genius in their sports? Possibly. Maybe Willie Mays is a baseball genius.

• Lurker John said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:23 am

Roald Dahl was my favorite author as a kid. Fantastic story teller.

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:38 am

My initial impression of the Harry Potter books was that Rowling was trying to mimic Dahl’s style, but kind of missing it.

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:43 am

One gets this picture of Gertrude Stein and Vladimir Nabokov stranded in a parked car amidst a furious blizzard and though Nabokov gets ideas, Gert will have none of THAT so she begins writing and frustrated outta his gourd, Vlad promptly hijacks the idea and begins scrawling as well.

10. willedav said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:16 am

Saw a story on Yahoo about Dodgers and Alex Guerrero, the guy Colletti signed for $28 mil that can’t actually play anywhere. He’s on rehab assignment in minors and couldn’t crack Mendoza line, due to be activated and apparently likely DFA’d, with Dodgers on hook for the money through next year.

Searching for any other news on this guy on MLBTR, saw that Nate the less than Great got released from his minor league deal by Tigers. He spent 2015 in Japan (after bailing on Rangers who wanted him to go down to minors), where he hit .250 with .298 OB, 10 HRs .435 slugging.

Made me think of Adam Duvall, who will probably hit 20+ meaningless bombs for the flat awful Reds.
    Those will be something for fanbase to cheer about in a long hot summer of dreadful baseball by home team.
    But, like Nate, I don’t think he ever would have helped the Giants and isn’t a full time everyday regular on a winning team.
    Nate hit 20 HRs for the Cubs that one year, something he didn’t do entire career in SF. I feel same way about Duvall, he wasn’t going to do that here.
    But hey maybe given the chance to play he’ll figure something out.

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:28 am

And Guerrero has a stipulation in his contract that he can’t be sent to the minors without his permission. The Dodgers are so screwed on that contract! lqtm.

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:49 am

Duvall is proving to be a fair to not too bad offensive player. It likely was his defensive shortcomings which prompted the Giants to prefer the Duffy detour. Infield defense is a pitcher’s best friend, particularly if his style is to induce grounders. That may be a primary reason why Cueto’s heart may get lodged in San Francisco. A fascinating statistical category would be runs produced divided (or subtracted) by runs saved. Statheads might use the Duvall/Duffy pairing as their pilot project.

11. Lurker John said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:22 am

ESPN’s 30 for 30 had an interesting episode about Cleveland’s championship drought. I believe they said 1964’s NFL Championship won by the Browns was their last one, The Indians last won in 1948, the Cavs never, so they’ve had a serious dry spell. The Browns also had those excellent teams in the ’80’s that lost those 2 heartbreakers to the Broncos. Ernest Byner still lives in the city and got quite emotional about his fumble on his way to the endzone that cost them the second game. He even apologized for it. He’s a humble guy.

Their fans are quite passionate about their teams and a little sensitive about the city’s undeserved reputation as a shithole. Worth a look if you get the chance.

As for the Cavaliers, let’s hope that drought extends by at least one more year.

12. willedav said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:26 am

Hoping Parker isn’t another Bowker gang/AAAA guy. Didn’t see any of game yesterday when he went 0-4 with 3 Ks and won’t get chance to see much of Giants this week (maybe Thursday early game and Sunday ESPN)…so relying on Flappers for their impression of whether the kid can help the team or not.

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:35 am

He seems like one of those guys who has the same swing every time. If the ball happens to be thrown on the plane his bat is swinging through, he can connect. If not, he swings and misses. He reminds me a bit of Ishikawa in that regard. So maybe that’s Parker’s ceiling, an Ishi type. Which is still not bad for a bench player, but not really going to be a regular starter. And, like, Ishi, can run into one occasionally and give you a big game-changing HR.

13. zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:31 am

Speaking of the Dodgers, I read a thing online that said Ethier’s recovery is going slower than expected. They originally expected to have him back by the middle of the season, but that’s in doubt now.
    And the Dodgers would still love to unload Crawford on somebody, but he has zero trade value.

14. willedav said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:34 am

TwinFan had a very nice post on Baggs blog at mercurynews.com yesterday, apropos of Memorial Day.
    To me the daily minors updates most interesting blog posts from commenters, where he gets his share of posts in and keeps things real.

15. zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:49 am

Dodgers/Cubs game is on ESPN tonight. Arrieta faces the Dodgers for the first time since he no-hit them last year.

16. zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:50 am

For what it’s worth, the D-Backs game is on ESPN earlier in the day, in certain areas of the nation.

17. Flavor said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:00 am

Can someone (PK?) confirm when his *We score we win* text went down? I would bet anything it was 2012 not 2010 but now Zumiee has got me questioning my memory

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:15 am

You’re right. We had the shirt presentation at the 2013 “Sombrero” game, where Pawlie was interviewed by Beer Can’s significant other.

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:18 am

Pawlie texted during a ballet in Philadelphia? That’s what confused my memory. I was thinking it was during the Philly playoff series.

• Macdog said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:40 am

Hey Blade, I just saw your reply about Coors. I don’t remember a whole lot, probably due to the Giants getting their ass kicked (turns out it was 11-2). I do remember being impressed with that whole downtown scene around Coors. The fans were cool, and the park was indeed pretty nice, especially looking out toward the outfield.

• Macdog said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:17 am

I’m 99 percent it was 2012. Inspired by the torturous 2-1, 10-inning win over the Reds in Game 3 in which the Giants had something like 1 hit until the 10th inning.

Here’s a post from Pawlie after the game (Oct. 9): Holy shit. Didn’t say it here but texted Magnus, Dennis, Ted, and local folks the following: WE SCORE WE WIN. I “didn’t stop believin’ ” that. You know, the giants may not win this series but that game brought the ol’ mojo back. We seem to thrive on the #torture. At least we hold our heads high, very high. And just think, they fecking strike out 16 of our fecking hitters and fecking lose?! How’s that fecking feel, Cincy? Sleep on that. It’s like you fecking face the fecking fire fecking squad and fecking come out fecking whistling. Amen to that, Flappers!

Flav later posted: I did get a text from Pawlie at 5:54pm. It said “we score we win”
      no punctuation necessary.

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:20 am

Yeah, now I remember. Pawlie was at a ballet performance in Philly is why I was thinking Philly.

18. willedav said, on May 31, 2016 at 11:12 am

I had Snarkk send me one of the shirts tho I couldn’t make the game that day of the giveaway to Flav.
    Great pics of everyone—Snarkk got the whole ball rolling, way cool.

Pawlie at the ballet is money. Great post, thx for finding that Mac.

B-day of drummer Louis Hayes, cohort of bassist Sam Jones, longtime members of Cannonball Adderley’s famed bands of early ’60s.

19. blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 11:19 am

I just read this . . .

“The Giants are asking the city for millions of dollars in property tax refunds, claiming that the value of AT&T Park has dropped well below the $200 million that the team paid to build it 16 years ago — even as home prices in San Francisco have more than doubled during that time.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! My opinion? The Phone Park is a license to print money.

• Bozo said, on May 31, 2016 at 11:53 am

I think they did something similar, or tried to, before I moved here in 08. Back then I thought the argument was that the tax revenue from that area went up because of the ballpark being there and the Giants felt their tax rate should be lower. But I could be off base on that.
      And instead of paying off the stadium a few years ago, didn’t they also talk about doing a refi?

• willedav said, on May 31, 2016 at 12:37 pm

this was column in Sunday Chron by Matier and Ross.
      giants claim the yard, like a car, depreciates in value every year.
      There had been an argument years before that got resolved with 10 yr truce.
      Once it expired SF assessor doubled the property taxes much to Giants dismay and carried them forward, to which they are objecting.
      First round of hearings today—SF tax assessor set the value at over $400 mil, Giants say it’s more like $155 mil.

• Bozo said, on May 31, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Thanks, Willie. I thought there was something about the property tax years ago. I wonder if season ticket holders can use that same argument?

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 31, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I thought it was Ferret that first uttered We Score We Win.

• chipower9 said, on May 31, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Me too, Dirt. But maybe she simply made a sign (when she went to the world series game) based on Pawlie’s words…

• Flavor said, on May 31, 2016 at 1:21 pm

She made the sign. PK sent me the text

21. wilcojoe said, on May 31, 2016 at 12:46 pm

I went to Cleveland on a business trip a couple years ago. It was early February and it never got above 8 degrees. I did like their downtown a lot. Lots of good restaurants and bars situated close by. They even had a Harrahs casino right in the middle of downtown. That alone gets two flaps up in my book.

22. chipower9 said, on May 31, 2016 at 12:54 pm

1. Denard Span (L) CF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    6. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    7. Gregor Blanco (L) LF
    8. Conor Gillaspie (L) 3B
    9. Jake Peavy (R) P

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 1:36 pm

concerned about Duffman’s slump but I’d not give up on him.

• Bozo said, on May 31, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Hopefully Jake has a good birthday game.

23. pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 1:29 pm

I prefer twitiots or twitdiots. Naw. Not quite. Gio, of BASEBALL’S STARRY NIGHT, is a Cleveland NBA fan. Yeah, they be mad crazy.

Steph!

Warriors!

24. pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Macdog’s 9:17am settles the WE SCORE WE WIN query. I knew it was the 2012 game vs. Cincy. That’s awesome archiving. I’m thinking of using it in CHASING WILLIE MAYS. I begin edits this week. I should share here the enthusiasm from the publisher and editor.

By the way. No more ballet in Philly. Big overhaul. Evelyn will be gone. Well, maybe once more, early June. It was always great luck to text from the Academy of Music on Broad Street.

• Macdog said, on May 31, 2016 at 2:14 pm

I have some vivid memories of that game — where I was, etc. — and one of ’em was talking with you on the phone very early on when it looked the Reds were going to maybe bury the Giants early. I’m pretty sure you also sent me the now-famous rallying cry.

25. zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Shields gave up a 10-spot to the Mariners. Ouch.
    The Padres are bleak.

26. unca_chuck said, on May 31, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Romo had a ‘setback’ according to Bochy a few minutes ago. MRI came back negative, but he’s not going to throw for a week . . .

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Bummer.

27. zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Dodger injury news:
    Wood after pitching pretty well yesterday is going on the DL with a sore arm. His violent delivery has always looked like an injury risk. Phenom Urias is being recalled from AAA. Urias wasn’t phenomenal in his first major league start.
    And Ethier’s return has been pushed back with no timetable now.

28. zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Peavy tonight!

29. zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 4:10 pm

I like the thought of Dawg’s dog chasing him, as Dawg rides a dirt-bike. Dogs love exercise, and run so joyfully when they’re chasing their owner.

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Maybe. As long as he doesn’t have the dog tied to the dirt bike.

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Mitt Romney put his dog in a crate and traveled with the crate tied on top of his car for hundreds of miles…

• blade3colorado said, on June 1, 2016 at 6:15 am

Ahh, almost forgot about that one.

• sandog said, on May 31, 2016 at 5:45 pm

You got that right, Zum. He loves it, though he will peel off to chase squirrels if the opportunity presents itself.

Blade: any word in the paper about that Votto/Cargo deal?

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Hahaha SD. Actually, what I am salivating about, is an upcoming potential trade with the Oakland A’s. Love me some Rich Hill. With two more terrific outings last week, he’s now 8-3 with a 2.25 ERA (second in AL), 1.125 WHIP (12th), 74 strikeouts (third) and a .207 opponent batting average (fifth). I doubt the Giants have the prospects to swing it though, so he’ll probably go to someone else during the trade deadline.

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Speaking of Cargo, he just hit a bomb. 7-0 Sherps.

30. blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Obviously, K and K have a better seat than I do, but dollars to donuts, that ^$%@#% Kelly fucked up. Craw was running on the pitch and the right fielder had an awkward throw.

31. djloo27 said, on May 31, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Bochy’s turning into Felipe Alou with the pen lately…

32. djloo27 said, on May 31, 2016 at 6:23 pm

I’m expecting Jim Brower next…

33. zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Great outing by Peavy. Kind of makes Smarge’s performance look even crappier.

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 6:36 pm

As I said last week, Peavy is doing ok for a #4. If he keeps beating the crap out of the Padres, Reds, and Braves of the world, I have no problem with him.

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 6:39 pm

His next two starts are against the Cardinals and Dodgers, though. 🙂
        But you make a great point.

34. Flavor said, on May 31, 2016 at 6:40 pm

happy birthday, Jake.

• Macdog said, on May 31, 2016 at 6:45 pm

And many more!

35. zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Mookie Betts has 3 HRs tonight so far. Not too shabby.

36. djloo27 said, on May 31, 2016 at 6:47 pm

So at the ⅓ point the Giants project to 99-63.

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Not certain of today, but before yesterday’s game, we had the 2nd best win/loss record (percentage) in MLB behind the Cubs.

• Macdog said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:00 pm

But it’d be an unimpressive 99 wins 😉

37. djloo27 said, on May 31, 2016 at 6:58 pm

HR/RBI projections:

Pence: 21/108
    Posey: 21/72
    Belt: 15/75
    Craw: 18/87
    Duff: 6/39
    Panik: 15/60
    Span: 6/63
    Pagan: 6/39

• Flavor said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Pence is the only one who looks decent. But hey, on pace for 99, can’t complain.

38. Flavor said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Just went to the ESPN schedule for tomorrow, next to each game they show how many tickets are available for the game. Says 747 are available for the Giants game. There might have been 747 people at today’s game in the 9th inning.

39. djloo27 said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:04 pm

W/L projections:

Cueto: 24-3
    Bum: 18-6
    Smdj: 21-9
    Jake: 6-15
    Cain: 3-15

• Flavor said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:05 pm

at this point, considering how they looked earlier in the year, I’d take 9-30 and call it a gift from those 2.

40. djloo27 said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Fun watching Met bullpen vomiting one up to the Chisox…

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Yeah, the Mets can take a hike because of last weekend. I hope they crater.

41. djloo27 said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Arrieta walks bases loaded in 7th – 2 out. Still 0-0…

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:29 pm

That got dicey.

• djloo27 said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Got out of it…

42. djloo27 said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:32 pm

So Scully sings “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” but the idiot TV director keeps the camera on the moronic swaying drunks in the crowd the whole time…

43. James said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Zobrist and Fowler are headed for some severe slumps.

44. zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Cubs bullpen is blowing the game.

45. pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Just catching up. I see Jake (not the Jake in “Chinatown,” one of my fave movies) blew out all 35 birthday candles. Well done!

46. Bozo said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Didn’t get to see the game tonight but that box score looks pretty good. The good guys got four runs on five hits and Peavy allowed just one hit over seven innings. Laminate that sucker and declare every fifth day Jake’s birthday.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 7:59 pm

I like that “laminate.” Good line after a date, hunh? “Babe, can we laminate this?”

• Bozo said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:30 pm

“Babe, can we laminate this?” Yeah PK, a great date line. I’m sure she’d be floored.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:53 pm

hmmmm, might explain my divorce track record

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:59 pm

is there a flooring pun in there that adds a layer?

• Bozo said, on June 1, 2016 at 5:44 am

Pun intended.

47. blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Grand salami Blackmon, 15-3 Sherps. If I recall correctly, 17 hits Sunday for the Giants; 17 hits Monday for the Reds; and, 17 hits tonight for the Sherpas.

• Macdog said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:20 pm

You might want to get to the nearest roulette wheel?

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Yeah, really.

48. Macdog said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Lovable Losers, my ass.

49. Macdog said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Who woulda thunk the only Jake to win tonight would be Peavy.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 8:53 pm

good point; “Two Jakes” was a sequel to “Chinatown.” I have it but never bothered.

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:29 pm

John Huston was incredibly creepy in Chinatown, Mr. Gittes…

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:31 pm

could well be the most villainous villain in the history of cinema

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:32 pm

we need you, TedSpe, master of movie knowledge!

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2016 at 11:37 pm

50. mrsprtdude said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Any squeal to a classic always disappoints..Only exception ever was Godfather…
    Peavy keeps this up and the Cubs will be tacked down…

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:13 pm

I thought the ‘Toy Story’ sequels got better. They made me cry.

• James said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:22 pm

This one too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_Paleface

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Jane Russell became famous (at least in my teenage mind) for bra ads.

• James said, on May 31, 2016 at 10:07 pm

She’s called “Mike” in this one, which is really pretty great. I’m sure Ted approves of it, too 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Exhibit A for the defense (mrsprtdude) – 29 Godzilla movies. I rest my case.

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Toy Story I is my favorite Pixar pic. Incredibles is #2. Toy Story II was a little weird, but III got the job done nicely. They are coming out with “Finding Dory” in a few weeks, and I’m looking forward to that one…

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Toy Story 3 was my fave but they are all great. Finding Nemo too.

51. pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:18 pm

I nominate Warwick Saupold (Tigers reliever) as a baseball name almost as good as Rougned Odor. If ever a name sounds invented, Warwick Saupold is it. Lawyer? No. Accountant? No. Nobel-winning physicist? No. Baseball pitcher? Yessir. Warwick Saupold, come on up!

52. snarkk said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Mookie Betts? I thought they handed out only one Mookie and that was to Wilson…

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Mookie Blaylock

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:31 pm

OK, but he’s basketball…

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:32 pm

true

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Sorry to hear about the Philly ballet. Are they closing the company?

• djloo27 said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:42 pm

The Mets were once very high on this guy:

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Loo, you remind me of the immortal scene about “mook” in “Mean Streets.”

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Ah, I read it. The dance world is often fraught with drama and egos and “vision” that incorporates the first two. Good luck to Ms. Kocak on finding a new place to soar. Younger snarkette was just promoted to level 5 in her local ballet school, one below “company”, which should follow in due time. She was thrilled, a surprise. At the after-performance cast party on Sunday evening, I talked to the dance school mistress. She said she has “plans” for the younger snarkette. Hmmmm…

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:58 pm

snarkk,
        I see it this way: the arts are no different than the rest of corporate America, possibly worse. Save money. Cut costs. Fire old. Hire young. It’s the same game.

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 9:59 pm

I don’t know much about ballet, but that new leader sounds like a schmuck. And we’ve all probably had jobs at one time or another where a new boss or manager came in and made a bunch of ill-advised changes.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 31, 2016 at 10:00 pm

congrats to snarkette the younger

• blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Fascinating read. I also went to the link associated with your daughter. Interesting intrigue, especially the perceptions/attitude toward certain dance styles (e.g., Balanchine). I hope your daughter gets a job in New York.

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2016 at 10:05 pm

If anyone ever says ballet dancers are not athletes, they are FOS. Or other dancers, too. They are artists, AND athletes…

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Pawlie, I had Mrs. snarkk read your daughter’s bio. Mrs. snarkk has a background in dance, has a degree from Cal Arts, and used to teach ballet to kids. She says your daughter has “a great resume”. But, you already knew that….
      😉

53. mrsprtdude said, on May 31, 2016 at 10:05 pm

You got me on Toy Story. 3rd one was terrific!

54. zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 10:15 pm

I can’t remember if this was mentioned- Lincecum is back in the majors on June 12th. Angels vs. Cleveland.

• zumiee said, on May 31, 2016 at 10:21 pm

That’s the plan, anyway. He starts a AAA game on Thursday.

55. snarkk said, on May 31, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Hey, from the highlights, it looks like Peavy had a good slider going today, and really kept the ball down in the zone. For you Flappers that saw the game, was Peavy really getting it done or was it more the Braves sucked regardless? Maybe the heat greases up Peavy’s arm, and he works better in that weather…

• James said, on May 31, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Whether or not he’s had better command for a couple of games, I’ll guess that as long as he’s throwing under 90, there are more ass kickings than well pitched games to come.

• snarkk said, on May 31, 2016 at 10:58 pm

The fact that it was vs. the sad sack Braves has me thinking this is not a great indicator game to run Peavy’s Pennant up the flagpole just yet. Still, he could have gotten hammered by them, but did not. Looks like he’ll be out there in a another 5 days.
        Just for the helluvit: I wish we had Ben Zobrist…