All Cylinders

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 3, 2016

Yesterday was the first time in years when the Giants played and finished a game before I even knew they were playing. Man, that was an early one yesterday.

Into Missouri we go. Honestly it doesn’t rile me up the way it used to. Not sure why.

Warriors 2nd team took down “The Land” last night. That must be a fun pill for LeFlop to swallow.

Here’s a sampling of tweets from their resident idiot fan after the game ended last night.

idiot

1. James said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:19 pm

I remember the hated, arrogant Clay beating Patterson and Liston. Views changed over the years . . . .

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:22 pm

His boasting spurred interest, that’s for sure. And he delivered. Gotta deliver. Just read a good NY Daily News reprint on their site of his conviction.

2. djloo27 said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:20 pm

The Champ is gone…

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:22 pm

he is?

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:23 pm

just saw at NBC

3. chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Lisle asked earlier if anyone had calculated how much Lopez makes per pitch, or out. Here are some breakdown numbers (I did not calculate per pitch).

Per inning: $102,301.

Per out: #34,100.

Per batter faced: $27,210.

Not too shabby for as often as the dude gets in a game. Oh to be one of the top LH specialist in the game. And he has four WS rings to go along with all that coin.

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:37 pm

He was a philosophy major in college. Interesting fellow.

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Interesting…I had no idea. Very cool. I loved philosophy in college…one of my favorite classes right there with ceramics, and astrology.

4. pawliekokonuts said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:33 pm

In 2007 I pulled a hamstring from slipping on ice and the whole back of my leg was black and blue, like snarkk’s.

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Yep…same here, a couple of times. Both times while playing Ultimate (frisbee). LOTS of running (and cutting) in that game! Definitely a young man’s game!

5. chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:34 pm

RIP, Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay). Wow, it is crazy all of the people we have lost this year, across the spectrum. So many great musicians and now Ali.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:38 pm

…and my mom, born in 1916, keeps going.

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Wow. We should all be so lucky. Hopefully, we are all right here on the Flap talking baseball ten years or more from now. Fun to consider that…and how many Flapaloozas would there be to discuss…

6. Paul Sorensen said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Reading about the options the Giants’ braintrust (and other commenters) are tossing around to replace Pence doesn’t thrill me. Specs, Blanco, Pagan (?), Belt…. this is just *fill in the gaps* kind of stuff. You do that when your starting star is on the 15-day DL, not gone for 2 months. If you do that, then you have to “strengthen” your bench, because now your original bench is starting, and you’ll likely get players that might not have been good enough to be your original bench in the first place. I said something a couple days ago about wanting to see management be a bit more bold in their approach this time, meaning, go out and get a real starter to replace a real starter and keep your bench strong….

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:53 pm

I am with you 110% on this one Paul. Time to see the Giants FO do something out of sorts, something bold, and go get a better than average OFer who can be there for a few years after Pagan is gone. And the way things are going with Pence, who knows how he will do trying to stay in the line-up for the foreseeable future. As was discussed recently, Pence needs to learn to dial it back. Hard as hell for someone as competitive as him, but he needs to find a way to do it. We need him in there regularly for the remainder of his contract.

7. blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Rest in peace Muhammad . . . 10 of your best knockouts!

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Notice that not a one of the top ten here is against Frazier…RIP, Champ.

• blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Ali won by technical knockout (TKO) after Frazier’s chief second, Eddie Futch, conceded the fight prior to the 15th round, after Ali pummeled Frazier in the 14th . . . British sports writer Frank McGhee ringside for the Daily Mirror describes the final 2 rounds:

“The main turning point of the fight came very late. It came midway through the thirteenth round when one of two tremendous right-hand smashes sent the gum shield sailing out of Frazier’s mouth. The sight of this man actually moving backwards seemed to inspire Ali. I swear he hit Frazier with thirty tremendous punches—each one as hard as those which knocked out George Foreman in Zaire—during the fourteenth round. He was dredging up all his own last reserves of power to make sure there wouldn’t have to be a fifteenth round.”

8. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Chuck, DJ, as far as New York goes, my son got a job, which is the good news. He’ll have to work out his schedule to make it happen, but that should be OK.

Got a lot of BS going on right now, but things should clear up in the next couple weeks so I’m cautiously optimistic it’ll work out. Would be kick-ass to go to NY. I haven’t been there since 1973. Saw Mays play for the Mets at Shea back then.

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 10:05 pm

That would be bad ass if you can swing it. And hell, if you are going to go through the effort for that, you should join Blade and me (and hopefully other Flappers) for a game in Boston. I have never been to either Boston or NYC, so I am pumped. Only bummer is I wish I had more time to spend back there. Hell, I could probably spend a few days in Boston and the surrounding area just checking out Revolutionary War sites, etc. Anyway, hope like hell you can make it. Better yet, just make it happen. 😉

• unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2016 at 10:16 pm

I got like 3 days, so I’ll prolly keep it to NY but we’ll see. One thing that was cool the last time I was in Boston (saw David Cone beat the Yanks with Boston. Crazy), we stayed at a Holiday Inn that was right under the right field light standard.

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 10:45 pm

That would have been bad ass by itself! Yeah, I am really looking forward to the trip. I plan to do Chicago/Wrigley next year. Hoping other Flappers can join the fray then, too.

9. sandog said, on June 3, 2016 at 10:08 pm

I am actually looking forward to the Parker/Williamson platoon, if that is what the plan is—and I hope it is. Let’s get these guys some at-bats, let them call him down a little bit, stop looking over their shoulders and see what they can do over the course of 30 or 40 games.

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Agree. It is senseless to have them up if they don’t get some decent playing time.

• James said, on June 3, 2016 at 10:30 pm

The gap in production between Pence and this platoon may be smaller than most expect. Pence is a very likable player, but by far the most overrated on the team.

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Pence leads the team in RBIs, is 2nd in HRs, and 3rd in hits, and he is overrated? Explain that one to me…

• James said, on June 3, 2016 at 10:57 pm

Pence is a very good player, who was putting up his best numbers yet as a Giant at age 33. I just don’t think his loss alone will have the kind of impact on the team’s overall performance some expect. If the Giants W-L percentage goes down over an extended period, I can guarantee you the team ERA will be bloating up over that same time.

• djloo27 said, on June 3, 2016 at 10:59 pm

The rest of the team is underrated…

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 11:00 pm

I disagree, and hope I am wrong. I just do not see Parker and Williamson, or the two combined, coming close to Pence’s production. We shall see…and again, I hope like hell I am wrong.

• James said, on June 3, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Well, they could both put up Matt Duffy numbers and we’d have two new candidates for the 3 hole!

• chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 11:28 pm

They could, James, but based on everything I have seen of them the times called-up, I doubt seriously that happens. Another on which I hope I am wrong…but…

10. chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 11:02 pm

Eyelids are getting heavy fellas. The black triple IPA is catching up with me. Catch ya on the other side…

Let’s see the Giants get two tomorrow behind Shark…

11. snarkk said, on June 3, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Love him, hate him, don’t give a damn about him — Ali was beyond a sports icon, he was a towering figure on the world stage in the ’60s and ’70s. He truly was the most recognized public figure on the face of the earth. Tiger Woods in his heyday pales in comparison. This is in the time of 3 TV networks, print media ruling the day,no ESPN, and TV sports barely coming into their own. I lived in those times, there was NO other public figure that took over the public stage as much as he did when he was on it. The first Ali-Frazier fight at MSG in 1971 remains, IMO, the single biggest, most iconic, most awaited global sports event in my lifetime. I can’t think of any sporting event in recent times that even comes close. It lived up to the hype, miraculously. MLK himself could have used the PR attention that Ali grabbed when he was on the public stage.

Shot by Neil Leifer, the greatest sports photographer ever, here is THE most iconic sports photo of ALL TIME:

12. djloo27 said, on June 3, 2016 at 11:09 pm

Jim Ray Hart was 2 months older than Ali…

13. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2016 at 11:10 pm

I was almost in Chicago yesterday…

14. chipower9 said, on June 3, 2016 at 11:30 pm

Switching gears, and maybe I shouldn’t. News on the Niners…

OUCH.

• Flavor said, on June 4, 2016 at 7:06 am

this is a dumb article attempting to take another shot at the NIners without the facts. Lines aren’t generated until the week of the game and it’s nonsense to try to set them for each week this far out…….

15. willedav said, on June 4, 2016 at 6:52 am

no one that big fought like Ali in his younger days. If you saw him vs. the bruiser heavys (Folley Big Cat Williams et al), where he’d dance around them and then set his feet and throw fast combos, he was a tremendous show as he ran through the division
    And of course very polarizing, esp once Frazier rose to prominence. Epic battles, in and out the ring.

I think James is right and others have in their own way echoed this: yes Pence brings a lot to the table but supporting cast of OF (plus Specs), including pitching and team defense, can help Giants stay on top. At least in the division, I don’t think anyone can match overall talent up and down LU and rotation.

16. pawliekokonuts said, on June 4, 2016 at 1:18 pm

snarkk is right: that surely is the most iconic sports photo of all time….what would others be? Mays catch, Gehrig farewell, Ruth swat, 1980 hockey?