Pence No Longer By the Fence

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 4, 2016

When AJ Pollock went down for the year for the D-backs everyone said what a big blow it would be. Like if the Giants lost Pence. I didn’t agree then and I don’t agree now. The Giants and Arizona are built completely different and are run differently. Also, I think everyone overreacted at the value of Pollock. AZ wasn’t going to ever be as good as the pundits were thinking. Same way SD wasn’t going to fulfill promise last season.

Loo brought up the idea of taking Markakis from the Braves who would be salivating at the idea of shedding the rest of his deal. The Giants beat writers scoffed at this idea when I proposed it and one of them, I think Baggs, said the Giants would only be looking at a 2 month rental. Suggested our sights be set closer to Jeff Francour.

Can I raise a topical point? Why should the Giants just be looking for a 2 month rental? Because Angel Pagan is such a rock solid reliable player? This is beyond stupid. The Giants are the worst team in the history of baseball at developing outfielders. So the pipeline is bare and broken UNTIL they produce one.

During the season, that means trades are the only way of acquiring legitimate mlb talent. Tell me what could possibly be wrong with picking up a steady outfielder like Markakis for the long haul?

When and if Pence came back this year, BELIEVE ME there would be a spot for him. And there will be a spot next year. And probably the year after that.

I’m not saying that Markakis is the answer, but the idea that the replacement has to be some shit-done player like Francour is ludicrous. If they’re going to do that, just do the Mac-Park thing instead. We need good outfielders. Lots of them. We should stockpile them.

Markakis is available? Great. Come aboard. You got a brother? Bring him too.

1. snarkk said, on June 4, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Up 4-0, then get smoked 7-4?
    Guess I’ll just have another piece-a apple pie; you know, it don’t seem right…

• djloo27 said, on June 4, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Awesome…

2. zumiee said, on June 4, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Only taking 2 of 4 games from this crappy Braves team still rankles.

3. zumiee said, on June 4, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Folty to the DL. He hurt his arm defeating the Giants.

4. zumiee said, on June 4, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Braves stupidly run themselves out of an inning.

5. snarkk said, on June 4, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Thanks to Loo for playing along tonight w/me and Bobbie…

6. zumiee said, on June 4, 2016 at 10:44 pm

A 4-0 game took 3 1/2 hours to play. Not a big success at speeding up play.

7. Richard M. McMinn (@mikemcmn) said, on June 4, 2016 at 10:56 pm

Agree, a split w/ lowly Braves is crappy. But as much as I hate to rain on what seems like a big fat parade, my feeling is that the Giants have been damn lucky of late with the likes of Wacha walking the bases loaded and the likes. For what is supposed to be such a stellar lineup how many games have we recently won 1-0, 2-1 ? I don’t get the apathy I feel like is demonstrated. And , worse is that it is mostly the high dollar guys and that can only run down hill to the younger players. Happy as heck with the record but frankly not impressed with how we’re getting there. Without Bochey we might be basement dwellers.

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2016 at 6:45 am

Welcome to the Flap Richard . . . 🙂

8. unca_chuck said, on June 4, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Well, it’s better than losing those 2-1 and 1-0 games. Kinda like 2010, ya know? Remember torture?

9. willedav said, on June 5, 2016 at 8:18 am

Well, after last Samrdz outing Peavy dominated. That was against Braves of course, and Cards will mount a superior LU. But he is from over near Choctaw Ridge part of America, and like Bum I think he prefers pitching in warmer weather.

10. snarkk said, on June 5, 2016 at 10:50 am

I’d like to see Tomlinson take 3rd for a game or two. Sit Duffy, get him get a mental break. No way he should be hitting in the 3 hole. It’s asinine he’s there the way he’s been hitting, and that’s a criticism of Bochy. Deserved…

11. snarkk said, on June 5, 2016 at 10:53 am

Dubs keep the pressure on tonite. If they can take this one, there is no way Cavs will take 4 of the next 5 games, and both teams know it…

12. chipower9 said, on June 5, 2016 at 10:56 am

GREAT thread, Flavor. I have been out and about this weekend, and getting ready to dash up the hill and check-out a campground and go for a hike.

But I ABSOLUTELY agree with your approach on OF help. Fuck that stopgap shit. I think Pagan can “possibly” come back and be serviceable and contribute, but there is no guarantee. Blanco is fine for spot starts and as a very good 4th, and Parker and Williamson have shown nothing to convince me they are anything but AAAA players. With that said, Evans (with direction from Sabes, of course) needs to go out and get an OFer to not only fill the gap while Pence is out, but that will be a viable starter for a few years to come. To me, THAT would be SMART baseball.

ESPN tonight…fuck I hate ESPN games. I may have to go volume down and deal with the delay on the radio. Or just say fuck it and follow the game via radio, or online at the site Blade uses (hey Blade, what is that site, again?).

Make it an awesome rest of the day Flappers.

Oh yeah, nice rally to win in OT by the Tiburones. One day, one game at a time. Just the way the Warriors did with OKC.

Let’s take this series from the Redbirds when they (and probably most of us) least expect it (with a suspect Peavy on the hill). Go Giants!

13. Flavor said, on June 5, 2016 at 11:35 am