Red Sox

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 6, 2016

Nice little day break before Boston comes to town. I find it awesomely ironic that the Red Sox have such a potent offense WITHOUT Sandoval. Like Toronto, I expect them to come into town and be a little off playing the National League game. And since it’s only a 2 game series, they’ll be gone before they can do any real damage.

Dubs. What can you say? This is in the bag……

1. sandog said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:45 am

The Cavs will win Game 3. You heard it here first.

Also, in the glass half-full department, I’m stoked Scissorhands homered against a good team, in a game that mattered, on primetime TV. I want that freak to get 75 at bats before we consider bringing in some retread like Carl Crawford or Markakis.
    If you are not digging my Jarret Parker/Edward Scissorhands look-alike, would you settle for the lead singer of “Men Without Hats?” Parker seems like a goofy guy too. Not difficult at all to imagine him busting out a killer karaoke version of Safety Dance in the Giants clubhouse, featuring the deep, insightful lyric of
    “We Can Dance, We Can Dance, Everybody look at your hands”

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:51 am

The golden age of MTV!

• wilcojoe said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:52 am

I had to google image both those guys but that’s a good call. It’s the eyes, he totally has Johnny Depp eyes. I am just impressed that you remembered what the lead singer for Men Without Hats looked like. Also I know your Smardzjawhatever/ Captain Morgan guy call didn’t get much love, but that was a great one.

• sandog said, on June 6, 2016 at 10:14 am

You just made my day my friend!

2. wilcojoe said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:46 am

I felt like Old Seals Fan, posting on the previous thread.

The thing about this team is that they remind me of every one of our previous World Series championship clubs. Back end questions with the rotation, questionable middle relief, no bench and an offense that indeed feels “weak”. The biggest common denominator is the MASH unit. Yet somehow, someway, they find a way to pull it off in these even numbered years. I don’t think this year is any different. So I have decided to just sit back and enjoy the turbulent ride. Wake me up in October.

• chipower9 said, on June 6, 2016 at 11:22 am

I am with ya, Wilco. Wake me in October, so that I can get my ass down to the parade on Market Street.

Even Year.

Four in Seven.

Humm Baby – Let’s Do It Again!

3. wilcojoe said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:48 am

Snarkk had some good points about the East Coast bias within the national media last night. I will say that at least in Houston, the Warriors (specifically Steph) are getting more respect than the Giants ever did. Obviously Steph has a lot to do with that, maybe everything to do with that in fact.

I took the boys to Dave N Busters last night and the bar was packed with people watching the Finals. Even noticed a couple Steph jerseys in the crowd. However what caught my eye is that of the dozens of TV’s in that place, not one had the Giants-Cards Sunday night game on. 80% were on the Finals but the rest were either soccer or some NFL network bullshit. I have quit asking bartenders to change the channel anymore, they act like I just ordered a round of ice waters for the joint. Most of the time you have to ask four times before it gets done.

4. Carstie Clausen said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:54 am

Happens all too often. Did a major posting on the last thread ~ probably the last one there ~ on why the Giants lost last night. It had a lot to do with BB15’s bromance.

• wilcojoe said, on June 6, 2016 at 10:03 am

Yeah, there should be a standard cut off time, where flappers can post on the previous days thread without having to hold their thoughts until a new one comes up. I often wonder if certain flappers (willieD in particular) agonize over this before giving up and posting on the old one? Larry David could write an entire episode of Curb Your Enthusiasim over such a predicament,

• unca_chuck said, on June 6, 2016 at 10:04 am

Course I replied to that on the prev.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 6, 2016 at 11:09 am

Chuck: On that pitcher burnout thing: My suspicion is that today’s athletes, the American ones at least being mostly suburban kids who have played since they were toddlers and who tend to be gym-rat, workout freaks, have lost a lot of physically harmonic balance compared with the hayrack loading and firewood splitting men from back in the day.

Now i have a workout program here at Echo Ridge which has kept me in fairly not too bad shape shortly prior to my 72nd birthday. Summertimes it centers on playing with a 22″ Huskvarna mower on about 3 acres of mostly up and down land with plenty of trees, stone-walls, gardens and suchlike for overall body toning and most particularly combinent footwork and eye-hand coordination. Sure helps with hot-dancing, which i indulged in last Saturday night at a smalltown street-dance some 30 miles from here. Wheelbarrow handling also tends to be a pretty decent all-body toning system. I’m a tall, skinny-assed dude with no definable, visible musculature; though largely as the result of these toning tasks believing that i can hold my own pretty well with most guys within a couple decades in either direction.

Some picture of what i’m getting at, though written much larger in fuller expression would be that redassed Carolina Cattleman who faces the Sox Wednesday night. Countryboys can survive.

5. Carstie Clausen said, on June 6, 2016 at 10:00 am

We saw over the last couple games what the Cardinals offense can do. Red Sox are a good half again more potent than St. Louis. Suarez MAY get through the first time through their lineup with minimal damage. Then it could well be like Louis XIV famously remarked: “Apres moi le deluge”. So we may well find ourselves falling into our first three game losing streak in weeks.

Second game vs Boston i have a bit of advise for Bochy, seeing as Pence is not available and even the best efforts of the conga-line do not seem to be good for more than 3 or four runs. Bat Bumgarner 7th. He may well be the 4th best power threat in Wednsday’s lineup.

6. Macdog said, on June 6, 2016 at 10:02 am

After the BoSox are in-and-out, Kershaw is scheduled to start the series opener Friday. It never fails. I swear, if the Giants and Dodgers played a one-game series, Kershaw would still be scheduled to pitch that game.

• unca_chuck said, on June 6, 2016 at 10:04 am

Well, we’re due . . .

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 10:11 am

Yes, the Dodgers did tweak their rotation to move him back one day so he wouldn’t miss the Giants series.

7. zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 10:04 am

I’ll be at Wednesday’s game, Bum pitching. I was at Bum’s debut game for the Giants in 2010, also vs. the Red Sox. He had a rough first inning, gave up 3 or 4 runs, but pitched well for the next 6 innings or so, and the Giants stayed in the game, though ultimately lost. He showed the mental toughness that would be such a hallmark for him.
    Bochy could have moved him up to tomorrow’s game, skipping Suarez; but Bochy plays the “long game” during the season, utilizing that extra day of rest when it’s there. It’s one of the many reasons for Bochy’s success over the years.

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 10:15 am

Because of not moving him up, Bum does miss the Dodgers series; but, again, it’s hard to argue with the success of Bochy’s “long game” approach.

• Lurker John said, on June 6, 2016 at 10:21 am

That should be a fun one, zum.

8. Lurker John said, on June 6, 2016 at 10:20 am

Hey Wilco, I see less of the east coast bias with the Warriors than the Giants, who still get little respect as far as I’m concerned. I think it has to do with the flash of the Warriors. They are highly marketable, exciting to watch and, of course, they have Steph, who seems to connect with fans better than just about anyone. They’re a lot closer to the Showtime Lakers than the grind-it-out Celtics.

With the G’s, maybe baseball attitudes are more deeply ingrained, but the Giants still get a miniscule amount of respect as I see it, with little national TV time and the idea that they were lucky to win one, let alone three, WS titles, persists. If I have to watch one more shit Yankees game I’m going to shit myself. The Giants are workman-like and all business. A perfect reflection of their leader.

I’m sure no one here gives three shits what the national media thinks about our baseball team, but that’s my take on things.

9. sandog said, on June 6, 2016 at 10:46 am

One thing that pisses me off is when I look at MLB scores on ESPN on my phone and it only lists some of the games, and you have to click “View All” to see the fucking Giants score. Yet, the score for a shit game like Twins/A’s will be in the first listing. We’ve won 3 in 5 and we’re one of the most prestigious teams in the sport, I shouldn’t have to click “View All” to see our freaking score.
    (Although I am notorious for not knowing how to properly use my phone, computers, the internet, so maybe I’m just doing something wrong??)

• wilcojoe said, on June 6, 2016 at 11:35 am

Same issue happens to me on the ESPN site. So when I list the Giants as my favorite, now I only get Giants scores and I have to click “view all” to see everyone else. I also have the same problem with college football as it will only show me Big 12 scores (I guess it knows I am a Longhorn). Ridiculous.

• Flavor said, on June 6, 2016 at 11:38 am

download the Score app. It’s about 10,000 times better than the espn app

10. chipower9 said, on June 6, 2016 at 11:47 am

I posted the following near the end of the last thread in response to Lisle’s comment that the offense is weak.

Stix brought up another stat that I failed to mention and that is RISP. I have added those, too.

NL rankings (out of 15 teams):

RBI – 10th
    OBP – 6th
    SB – 11th
    2B – 13th
    3B – 2nd

RISP – MLB = 15th (middle of the road), NL = 7th
    2 out, RISP – MLB = 23rd, NL = 10th.

Runner on 3rd, less than two outs:
    1st in NL and MLB.

So, I still stand by my comment. I don’t think the stats show our O as a “weak” team. At a minimum, they are middle of the road, and in many, top third.

Granted, they do suck with 2 out and RISP. I cannot count the times I have wanted to throw sharp heavy objects when they cannot get it done in this situation.

But overall, no way I see this team as a “weak” offense.

We are more than a third of the way through the season and have dealt with injuries and other maladies, and we are SECOND in win totals and in first place. I will take that all day, and twice on Sunday.

I am with Wilco…gonna sit back and enjoy the ride. Wake me in October so that I can get my ass down on Market Street for the parade.

11. zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Regarding East coast bias, the only thing that annoys me a little about the season preview magazines is that they ALWAYS start with the AL East, which means the NL West is always at the back of the magazine. To see their Giants article, I know to always go immediately to the back of the magazine.

• djloo27 said, on June 6, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Get the Hebrew version.
      Problem solved.

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Ah…. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on June 6, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Or the Japanese version. 😉

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Not that anyone should care, but I was actually born in Japan on a U.S. military base. We were a military family, and had moved around quite a bit. My older brother was born in Oklahoma and my older sister was born in Texas.

• djloo27 said, on June 6, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I was born in the wagon of a travellin’ show
        My mama used to dance for the money they’d throw
        Papa would do whatever he could
        Preach a little gospel, sell a couple bottles of
        Doctor Good

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 2:36 pm

There’s a world we’re living in.
        No one else has your part.

12. gianthead said, on June 6, 2016 at 2:23 pm

No way Dubs are losing Game 3 sandog…they are playing two different games.

No I can the Warriors sleep walking a Game 4 knowing they can clinch at home in Game 5.

I need a Sharks win in 6 games. I parlay’d that with a Warriors series win at 17-1 odds!!! Will pay about $850…

• gianthead said, on June 6, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Sorry…I can see the Warriors sleep walking a Game 4….

• djloo27 said, on June 6, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Hope you cash, GH…

• gianthead said, on June 6, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Me too:) I was hoping we would pull off Game 2 for the Sharks….but tying it tonight I think sets up a big surprise for Game 5.

• blade3colorado said, on June 6, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Yep, always like seeing a Flapper win money gambling, stock market, or bank robbery.

13. gianthead said, on June 6, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Love me some Safety Dance…those early 80s new wave singles still resonate!!! I doubt in 30 years Kanye, Gaga and Katy will still have that resonance…love blasting those songs from the Sirius channel when my kids are in the car…they get so annoyed. I never thought as a teenager how much fun it would be as an adult to completely embarrass your children. They actually make me turn down the music….punks!!!!

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Younger folks would be surprised that MTV used to be about music.

• blade3colorado said, on June 6, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Great post GH. Tell your kids I said so.

14. zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 2:42 pm

By the way, the Giants never had a chance at Corey Seager. In the 2012 draft, the Dodgers took him with the 18th pick, and the Giants took Stratton with the 20th pick.

15. zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Speaking of song lyrics, early REM lyrics continue to mystify and amaze me.
    “Our love was a two-headed cow,” for example.

16. chipower9 said, on June 6, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Frank Zappa wrote some killer lyrics, and awesome music to accompany it…

17. blade3colorado said, on June 6, 2016 at 3:25 pm

I think I’ve found Trump’s running mate . . . http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/06/accused-fraudster-martin-shkreli-pleads-not-guilty-to-indictment-filed-last-week.html

18. djloo27 said, on June 6, 2016 at 5:56 pm

So the ESPN clowns last night like Jon Jay for the Giants. They might be on to something, although (like Markakis) he bats lefty and a righty bat would be preferable. He’s a FA after this year making $6.85 million now. Age 31. Currently leads the league with 18 doubles. Gets HBP a lot. Consistent BA – .288 lifetime. Plenty of playoff experience with Cards including 2014 when he went 9-18 vs. SF. Plays all 3 OF positions. Replaces Pence for now and Pagan next year if all goes well and they re-sign him. I might be sold…

• James said, on June 6, 2016 at 6:03 pm

It might be a lot less painful for him if he’d learn how to take a few more walks.

• djloo27 said, on June 6, 2016 at 6:12 pm

We’ll teach him, James. I think the Pods would be happy to take the next Duvall for him…

• Flavor said, on June 6, 2016 at 6:24 pm

sure. Do that. I’d prefer him to Carl Crawford. The CC move is really just to stick it to the Dodgers and have them pay. It’s probably not the best move for the team. I guess I am hoping that CC can cobble together 2 months of passable production before Pence comes back. Probably a pipe dream.

• chipower9 said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:04 pm

I am down with that, and your suggestion is exactly where I was going to say the team needs to go, and that is for a starting OFer who they can lock-up for a few years. That isn’t Crawford or someone like that, who would be a waste of a spot on the 25. And the next level of “stop gap” like the Francouers of the world make no sense either.

This sounds like a damned good fit. IMO, the team has no prospects who are “untouchable,” so make it happen.

Second priority is a lefty in the mold of Affieldt who is good with lefties or righties and can give you a couple of innings.

19. Flavor said, on June 6, 2016 at 6:42 pm

by the way, for those of you looking for an app for scores on your ph that’s better than espn. The actual name is thescore so that’s how you have to search for it. But I love it, haven’t used the espn app in 2 years.

20. Flavor said, on June 6, 2016 at 6:45 pm

hockey is still going on? Aggghhhhhh. It goes on forevvvveeeerrrrrrrr

• chipower9 said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Sharks are basically done. Down 3-1 in the series which is headed back to Pittsburgh. I don’t see them pulling a GSW and running off three consecutive against the Penguins.

21. zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 6:58 pm

I like the MLB At Bat app a lot. It costs a little bit of money, but I consider it huge value for the money.
    (I also have the MLB.TV games package. Also great value for the money, IMO.)

22. Flavor said, on June 6, 2016 at 7:00 pm

I stand by what I said about Cle fans the other day. They are insane as my twitter feed is showing today. I hope security is tight for OBD this week. I put nothing past any of them.

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 7:07 pm

I get a little nervous about what Delly the Cowardly Goon might do. He’s a master at diving to the floor and rolling up on opponents’ knees. I don’t trust him.

• snarkk said, on June 6, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Me, too. The guy is a Goon. He could take out somebody’s knee or ankle with a rolling block. Hell, in the game out here in the reg season he jumped on somebody’s back — anybody remember that?…

23. Flavor said, on June 6, 2016 at 7:12 pm

just saw San Diggity guaranteed a win for Cle in game 3. That’s got me doing the slowest of burns, dawg……

• sandog said, on June 6, 2016 at 8:09 pm

You want to bet a Cha-Cha bowl on the game?

• chipower9 said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:07 pm

San – I’ll take that bet.

• Flavor said, on June 7, 2016 at 5:41 am

yes. And then you have to lead us to our seats.

24. Flavor said, on June 6, 2016 at 7:23 pm

did you guys read the article about Sandoval taking the ball with him from 2014 and there are rumors he sold it? I can’t remember where I read it but it was a weird read to be sure……

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 7:28 pm

I hadn’t heard that; but I remember last year he called time out so he could have the baseball after hitting his 200th career double. That was….unique.

• djloo27 said, on June 6, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Double Whopper?

• chipower9 said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Sleaze…I lose what little respect I have for the dude all the time. Actually, I have none for him. Appreciate his piece in the WS titles, but now? Fuck ya, tubby.

25. zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 7:25 pm

There’s chance the Rockies can give LA a challenge tonight. Chatwood’s a good starting pitcher.

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 7:39 pm

And….just as I say that, the Dodgers start working him over.

26. Carstie Clausen said, on June 6, 2016 at 8:07 pm

If Suarez is looking for his big chance, tomorrow night is it. Surprising how attention gets drawn to a fill-in 5th starter. Rotation means you roll with the punches but just keep rolling around the punches. Then it can get interesting, intriguing even.

27. unca_chuck said, on June 6, 2016 at 8:08 pm

The only thing worse than Men without Hats is Dexy’s Midnight Runners. The were the Knack of the 80s.

MTV was cool but they were also awful.

• djloo27 said, on June 6, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Ask Ellis Burks what his favorite song is and this will be the answer:

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Not a bad song, IMO. 🙂

• djloo27 said, on June 6, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Nothing wrong with it.

28. zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Look how Jarrett Parker spent his off-day today:

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 8:34 pm

With thanks to the Dawg for that one.

• sandog said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Zum, if Scissorhands goes deep on Wednesday, will you promise me that you will turn around and make the Safety Dance “S” gesture to your entire section?

• sandog said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:07 pm

You also have to tilt your head in an odd way and have a crazed look on your face while doing so. Ok? Great.

• chipower9 said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:10 pm

I am looking forward to seeing the pictures on this one.

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:34 pm

I’ll give it a try. 🙂

29. zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Story goes yard! Rockies 6-1.

• willedav said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:05 pm

This imo is what is going to doom LA—rotation of Kershaw and nothing.
      The Stripling guy didn’t pan out and Maeda seems eminently hittable, so is Kazmir.
      Bolsinger is gone after 5+—like Peavy his numbers 3rd time through the order are awful.

Part of Roberts problem is going to be setting a LU–they still have too many OFs that are platoon guys and not full time regulars, even without Puig and Ethier. Like boone said about Cards IF last night once Peralta comes back, moving guys in and out all the time isn’t recipe for success. But there are decisions that have to be made on your best 8, and that could mean extended bench time for some potentially talented players that won’t like sitting out much.
      Roberts had Turner leading off tonite.

• James said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:55 pm

WillieD, LA’s offense has actually been a lot worse than its pitching, even with Seager going off. While LA has had only two top notch starters, its team ERA is still better than SF’s. The mediocrity of LA’s 3-5 is a match for Smarge, Cain, and Peavey, and their bullpen has been pretty good.

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Bullpen issues, too, other than Jansen.

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Uh oh, James and I disagree again. I’m about to get my a## kicked numerically again. 🙂

• James said, on June 6, 2016 at 10:13 pm

It was so unnecessary, too, Zumie, the numbers are easily accessed right . . . here http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=p&team=LAD&year=2016#sprel

30. pawliekokonuts said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Twinfan (Mike), if you are reading this: I just saw an episode of Home Run Derby. Bobby Allison vs. Willie Mays. Corny stuff but priceless. The host and announcer is Mark Scott. Was that your dad?

• zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Ray Scott.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:42 pm

ah yes, I was pretty sure it was not Mark; tnx

31. pawliekokonuts said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Gaaaack! Manny Burris to the IronPigs!!!!

32. pawliekokonuts said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Regarding Sandoval and the WS ball, Doug Mankiewicz got into some controversy over the game-ending ball in 2004. What is it, the Boston air?

33. zumiee said, on June 6, 2016 at 9:46 pm

The Rockies took care of bidness. Chatwood squelched the rally in his only shaky inning.
    Giants lead the division by 4.

• willedav said, on June 6, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Dodger got 1 hit entire game.

James makes pretty good point tho–LA has scored 8 fewer runs than Giants, allowed 18 less.
      LU tonite:
      Turner hitting .223 with .650 OPS
      A Gon soft .750 OPS only .395 slg
      Kike Hernandez .214 .660 OPS
      Kendrick .223 .560 OPS
      AJ Ellis .198
      Thompson 0-4 3 Ks
      Van slyke just off DL at .077

Dodgers 12th in NL for OB and OPS and of course didn’t help those numbers tonite much!
      Btw, B/R says Kazmir questionable for Sat start here