Failing to Step Up

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 8, 2016
unca_chuck said, on June 7, 2016 at 10:24 pm (Edit)

Another come-from-ahead loss.

We said. Could easily be the headline to today’s thread. Boston, as I expected, didn’t come into our park and blast the ball to the moon as Kruk and Kuip seemed to think they were going to do. But they were professional hitters and that was all it took.

We were minus Pence and Posey. Other guys have to step up. The roster isn’t 8 guys and a bunch of pitchers. The rest of the players are paid very well to be ready when their number is called.

I’m not optimistic about tonight. Probably a low scoring game. Maybe Babe Bumgarner wins it for us…..

1. sandog said, on June 8, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Great win, but that misplay by Mac was a bit of a red flag for me–combined with Snarrk’s comment about seeing him butcher a ball in Scottsdale. I can’t handle dropped routine fly balls— that drives me absolutely loco. I’m curbing my enthusiasm for Mac after that display.

2. Carstie Clausen said, on June 8, 2016 at 10:33 pm

LaBumbos figured they had us in their sights. Calculation was that the relentless BoSox offense would grind down even the likes of Bumgarner (well, he only did go 7) and that they would readily handle the Sherps. But as Bobby Burns famously remarked “the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley and leave us naught but grief and toil for promised joy”. Bums got shut out on 4 hits and instead of coming to SF only two out and leading tomorrow night with Opie with visions of first place in the NLW dancing in their pointy little haids, they are now behind by 4 again and they have the sterling opportunity of facing Dreddylocks looking for his 10th.

3. Carstie Clausen said, on June 8, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Though it qualified as somewhat of a vulture win atop Bumgarner grinding out those 7 innings with only a single tallywhacker against him; Gearrin did deserve his victory. To date he has become the steadiest arm in the bullpen and has to be rapidly rising as Bochy’s go-to guy. Should it come to pass that Romo returns and resumes his late-inning role we could just possibly see Gearrin as the re-emergence of the fireman.

Though Williamson was the one at fault (perhaps he was still on a high from his first ML tater) the stock of Casilla has continued to slip as things keep happening when he tries to close out a game.

4. snarkk said, on June 8, 2016 at 10:48 pm

This game is a sample about what’s good about interleague play. Really don’t need to see 19 Pads games. How about 3 Sox games here, not just 2, a cup o coffee, and outta here. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Big Papi get voted into the HOF before Bonds. If yes, it will be a joke, since BPapi tested positive for PEDs in that league testing in 2003, which he denies doing anything, of course, knowingly…

5. gianthead said, on June 9, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Also, hom many different stadiums have you seen the Giants play in outside of The Stick/ATT/PUTRID Field of Alameda?

I think I am up to to 10 and Fenway this summer will be 11.

I’ve hit Old Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, the Old Vet Stadium in Philly, the new Philly field (Citizen Bank Park?), old Three Rivers in Pittsburgh, the new Pittsburgh stadium, old Riverfront in Cincy, Camden Yards, RFK and Nationals Park.